Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hacking and Logic
Big D
post May 1 2006, 06:21 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,455

Sorry if I seem particularly obtuse, but this has been bugging me...

When exactly can a hacker/TM use skill+Logic instead of skill+program?

"When you are directly interacting with a device" seems way too open for me. Does that mean if I skip the program/CF and attempt to perform an action that a program/CF does without using one that I can use Logic for the pool instead? That seems munchy, because then a maxed hacker can have the equivalent of a rating-9 program on any action that they choose--with the only catch being that they couldn't replicate sustained programs like armor, or simulate running multiple programs at once.

Does it instead mean that I can never use skill+Logic unless I'm crouched over a captured commlink on a desk trying to take it apart, or something?

Also, on a similar note, is there any reason (other than prejudice) that a TM shouldn't just carry a commlink around full of programs that they don't have CFs for (yet), run it into their PAN, and access it from their living persona as needed? That would seem to be particularly useful for starting TMs to do, to cover their weak spots. After all, program upgrades are cheaper than CF upgrades, if you get my meaning.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Aaron
post May 1 2006, 06:28 PM
Post #2

Mr. Johnson

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 8,314

Here's how I'd do it:

"Geez, this guy's commlink is set up in some completely fragged-up chiphead way. Lemme see if I can get it to work properly." -- Computer (or Hacking) + Logic

"Geez. this guy's commlink is protected with some completely fragged-up chiphead firewall. Lemme see if I can get it to work properly." -- Hacking + Exploit

"Geez. this guy's commlink is protected with some completely fragged-up chiphead encryption. Lemme see if I can get it to read properly." -- Response + Decrypt

+Quote Post
BnF95
post May 1 2006, 06:28 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,488

Hacking on the fly?

+Quote Post
Big D
post May 1 2006, 06:46 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Hacking on the fly?

Essentially, yes. It just seems a little wrong that I could ignore the program and add *more* dice to the pool doing it by hand--especially if I could add 9 (or 10, if I use Ex. Att.) to it.

+Quote Post
BnF95
post May 1 2006, 06:50 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Could be because a program isn't as intuitive as a person? Although I do sometimes allow my PCs to add in their intuition/logic attribute to the skill+program check, specially when they are helping the program out (i.e. REALLY trying to crack something ... fast.)

+Quote Post
Big D
post May 1 2006, 06:55 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

I buy the, err, logic, of that, but it makes for some odd gameplay considerations.

For starters, if I have a high Logic, why should I ever buy an attack program? Any time that I would use an attack program, I could perform the attack myself instead.

The same goes for the major action-based programs, like exploit and edit.

+Quote Post
BnF95
post May 1 2006, 07:07 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Errr ... instead of skill+program it becomes skill+program+attribute?

+Quote Post
Konsaki
post May 1 2006, 07:09 PM
Post #8

Runner

Member No.: 8,445

Paint a room with photoshop (Edit Program) and then paint a room using 1's and 0's (Logic) or some other code language.

+Quote Post
Thanee
post May 1 2006, 07:14 PM
Post #9

jacked in

Group: Admin
Member No.: 463

QUOTE (Big D)
"When you are directly interacting with a device" seems way too open for me. Does that mean if I skip the program/CF and attempt to perform an action that a program/CF does without using one that I can use Logic for the pool instead? That seems munchy, because then a maxed hacker can have the equivalent of a rating-9 program on any action that they choose--with the only catch being that they couldn't replicate sustained programs like armor, or simulate running multiple programs at once.

That's when you are not in the matrix, as I understand it.

Bye
Thanee

+Quote Post
Kremlin KOA
post May 1 2006, 07:22 PM
Post #10

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,650

on the photosop thing, I know programmers who work faster in assembler than in photoshop when doing graphics

+Quote Post
Konsaki
post May 1 2006, 07:24 PM
Post #11

Runner

Is that a program or a language?

+Quote Post
Voran
post May 1 2006, 07:24 PM
Post #12

Running Target

Member No.: 6,099

I'm thinking instead of skill+program+attribute directly, you could roll attribute (logic or whatever) and the number of hits you get is the number of dice you can add to skill+program.

+Quote Post
BnF95
post May 1 2006, 07:26 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

QUOTE (Voran)
I'm thinking instead of skill+program+attribute directly, you could roll attribute (logic or whatever) and the number of hits you get is the number of dice you can add to skill+program.

Alternatively, you could roll attribute+program with the skill level being the max # of hits.

+Quote Post
mfb
post May 1 2006, 07:27 PM
Post #14

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

QUOTE (Kremlin KOA)
on the photosop thing, I know programmers who work faster in assembler than in photoshop when doing graphics

maybe for simple graphics, nothing more complex than a shaded box or circle. not that programmers are known for their spectacular graphical skizzles to begin with, i guess.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post May 1 2006, 08:00 PM
Post #15

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

QUOTE (Konsaki)

iirc, assembler is a language. or more correct a collective term covering the diffrent signal sequences a cpu uses, given names.

ie, intel have one kind of assembler for their cpus, there is another kind for the powerpc line of cpus and so on. its one step up from working directly with the binary 1's and 0's that all computing is based on.

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post May 1 2006, 08:20 PM
Post #16

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,465

QUOTE (hobgoblin)
QUOTE (Konsaki @ May 1 2006, 09:24 PM)

iirc, assembler is a language. or more correct a collective term covering the diffrent signal sequences a cpu uses, given names.

ie, intel have one kind of assembler for their cpus, there is another kind for the powerpc line of cpus and so on. its one step up from working directly with the binary 1's and 0's that all computing is based on.

You've got it mostly.

Languages (Basic, C/C++, Assembly, etc) are Complied into Object Code then turned into Machine Language (1's an 0's) that the CPU can execute.

High Level languages are easier to code but tend offer less control over exact machine control. The resultant code is larger and slower than their lower level language counter parts. The same program written in Assembly can easily be 10-times smaller than the same program written in Basic and executes much faster.

A general order would be: Code -> Compile -> Link -> Execute

+Quote Post
Big D
post May 1 2006, 08:44 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

So, going back to the original question, is this something that's just unclear in RAW? It certainly sounds that way, and that was the main thing that I wanted to confirm.

In general, I'm liking Aaron's recommendation, which seems to disallow Logic from being used in any situation where a specific program can be used instead. I worry that adding 5-10 dice on top of a normal skill+program pool could make hacking anything that doesn't have a Logic attribute too easy.

On the other hand, that would imply that you simply couldn't perform an action for which you had no program.

Would some sort of a default penalty be appropriate to allow a decker to use Logic in place of a program? Even then, if it was only a -2 penalty, a super-intelligent hacker would ignore most programs--but then, maybe that's a reasonable assumption to begin with.

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post May 1 2006, 08:48 PM
Post #18

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

QUOTE (Konsaki)
Paint a room with photoshop (Edit Program) and then paint a room using 1's and 0's (Logic) or some other code language.

Done both...

PS makes it easier and quicker, "0"s & "1"s, are cheaper.

Depends if speed or economy is more important.

+Quote Post
bustedkarma
post May 1 2006, 08:51 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,420

I like the idea of allowing a hacker to use Logic, to some degree. I think of it as the hacker adding a new bit of code on the fly to his utility, to try an make it work a little better for the current situation.

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post May 1 2006, 09:03 PM
Post #20

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

As I understand it from the description, hacking on the fly is considered a more "brute force" approach and thus is more likely to trigger an alert.

I would think that aside from drain, hacking should use the same mechanic as for casting spells.

Pool = Logic + Hacking Skill

Damage/Effect = Programme rating + net hits [with maximum hits applicable = programme rating]

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post May 1 2006, 09:05 PM
Post #21

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

how about rolling logic and the number of hits is the number of extra dice it gives to the skill test?

+Quote Post
Geekkake
post May 1 2006, 09:39 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,372

The hacker in my games who starts asking for Logic in addition to other pools, or in lieu of weaker programs, is the hacker who gets what he wants, and somehow runs into nothing but ultraviolets filled with hideous forms of black ice that dissolve his mind from the inside out.

Are you listening, Red?

+Quote Post
Thanee
post May 1 2006, 09:42 PM
Post #23

jacked in

Group: Admin
Member No.: 463

QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ May 1 2006, 11:03 PM)
As I understand it from the description, hacking on the fly is considered a more "brute force" approach and thus is more likely to trigger an alert.

I think in the book, it's just one method of gaining entry to a system, when you have no passcodes or anything.
After that, there is no hacking on the fly anymore.

I would think that aside from drain, hacking should use the same mechanic as for casting spells. 

Damage/Effect = Programme rating + net hits [with maximum hits applicable = programme rating]

Not too bad. Instead of Drain I would increase some tally, that triggers security responses at various points.

Bye
Thanee

+Quote Post
Konsaki
post May 1 2006, 10:00 PM
Post #24

Runner

I like the way this houserule looks. It would make all 3 elements have a true value for the runner. As it is, I could take a meathead with 1 logic, throw a all 6 commlink at him full of programs and he would be able to hack almost as well as a supernerd with 10 Logic.

+Quote Post
Voran
post May 1 2006, 10:08 PM
Post #25

Running Target

Member No.: 6,099

Hm. I kinda also like the idea of Logic+Skill with a max hits based on something like twice the program rating. You could be a smart, skilled guy, but if you're stuck using a piddly program, it'll really limit you.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 12:47 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.