> Sucked back into the Shadows
Nobody
post May 2 2006, 02:23 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,517

Hey there,

I haven't played since first edition. I've recently found a gaming group and we've decided to play Shadowrun. I purchased SR4 the other day and I'm reading through it. I'm excited, but I'd love to trouble the forum with a question.

Back with SR1, I was a sourcebook junkie. B/c of this, I'm tempted to shell out the cash for some of the SR3 expansions (man and machine in particular). But before I drop the money...

How well do the SR3 sourcebooks convert? Do the sourcebooks overpower the players? Is it too much information/options to drop on beginning players?

Lastly... Fanpro's site tells me that the magic book is coming in the near-ish future. Any clue on the release dates of other SR4 sourcebooks?

Thoughts?

-Thanks
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post May 2 2006, 02:24 AM
Post #2

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

they basicly dont convert, or atleast not cleanly. better to hold out for the new books i think

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post May 2 2006, 02:27 AM
Post #3

Ain Soph Aur

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 600

There's no point in buying old "toys" books, like M&M of Magic or Rigger. The locations or theme books are still pretty good though.

As for the SR4 books, they are all supposedly coming out this year. But that has as much worth as when politicians promise they won't raise taxes.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post May 2 2006, 02:32 AM
Post #4

Beetle Eater

Member No.: 2,826

I'd buy System Failure and leave it at that for now.

+Quote Post
Nasrudith
post May 2 2006, 02:47 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,447

Unless your looking for some flavor of say supplements giving information about Seatle, making a few changes to the setting with commlink addition, cyberdeckectonmy.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post May 2 2006, 02:53 AM
Post #6

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,957

Nasrudith... huh?

+Quote Post
the_dunner
post May 2 2006, 02:54 AM
Post #7

Shooting Target

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,522

QUOTE (Nobody)
Lastly... Fanpro's site tells me that the magic book is coming in the near-ish future.  Any clue on the release dates of other SR4 sourcebooks?

If you grab FanPro's Catalog you can see what's tentatively scheduled for 2006.

My guess (and it's only a guess, but it's based on usual industry planning) is that we'll see Street Magic and Runner Havens at Origins. (July 4th weekend.)

From there I'd guess that they're aiming to get both Emergence and Arsenal out at GenCon. (Second weekend of August)

Augmentation is probably targeted as a Christmas (or GenCon SoCal -- mid November) release, but it might slip in 2007.

HTH!

+Quote Post
Jaid
post May 2 2006, 03:18 AM
Post #8

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

i thought one of the books wasn't scheduled for this year at all? unwired, or something like that, wasn't it? (matrix book anyways, iirc).

+Quote Post
Nobody
post May 2 2006, 03:31 AM
Post #9

Target

Member No.: 8,517

Hmm....

Thanks for all of that... especially the link to the catalog, I hadn't seen that yet.

I think I'll be patient and wait out the releases. Hopefully the quarter predictions were based on legit expectations and we'll see all of the books out on time.

Thanks again

+Quote Post
Aku
post May 2 2006, 04:24 AM
Post #10

Running, running, running

Member No.: 6,769

the nice thing with a new edition in a gaming group, is you dont have to feel "preassured" now, to buy a cartfull of supplements to be on "even ground"... everyone in the group has the exact same material to work with.

+Quote Post
eidolon
post May 2 2006, 04:29 AM
Post #11

ghostrider

Member No.: 6,333

Until they start releasing sourcebooks. Then the "pressure" will be back, as much as ever.

+Quote Post
Aku
post May 2 2006, 04:32 AM
Post #12

Running, running, running

Member No.: 6,769

eh, true, but with their release schedule, sr5™ might be here too :silly:

+Quote Post
CONAN9845
post May 2 2006, 04:50 AM
Post #13

Target

Member No.: 2,798

In our group, I was the one that bought EVERY SR3 book that came out. With the switch to SR4, you have everything you need to play. You don't need any SR3 material.

The more books you buy, the harder it gets for everyone to keep up, unless they take it as seriously as you do. All of the "flavor" books are just filled with material that you will probably never use, especially if you already have a campaign in mind as a GM. And the other sourcebooks don't convert very well... not that you'll miss any of it, having not played in a while.

If you wait until the SR4 books come out, everyone can keep up at once, and you don't have to worry about any of your conversions being wrong.

+Quote Post
the_dunner
post May 2 2006, 01:00 PM
Post #14

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,522

QUOTE (Jaid)
i thought one of the books wasn't scheduled for this year at all? unwired, or something like that, wasn't it? (matrix book anyways, iirc).

Several books were mentioned in last year's seminars at Origins and GenCon that are not listed on the 2006 schedule. Those include:

Unwired (Matrix book)
Running Wild (Critters book)
Players Guide (Companion revision? No working title mentioned)
GM's Guide (MJLBB sequel. No working title mentioned)
2 more "themed" city books, like Runner Havens.

+Quote Post
TBRMInsanity
post May 2 2006, 01:21 PM
Post #15

Running Target

Member No.: 8,494

I have a copy of System Failure and it was worth the money I payed for it. It is a good source book to cross over from SR 3 to SR 4.

+Quote Post
The ubbergeek
post May 2 2006, 02:04 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,415

The 'Shadows of...' and 'Tagets' books are still qute good, just update the history and stuff.

+Quote Post
TBRMInsanity
post May 2 2006, 02:22 PM
Post #17

Running Target

Member No.: 8,494

I wish there was some sort of constant update like they have with Mechwarrior: Dark Age on the SR website.

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post May 2 2006, 05:27 PM
Post #18

Runner

Member No.: 98

I've found that being a GM is actually a good way to get sourcebooks. See, I have my group defray the costs of my picking up books... with 6 players, asking for 5 bucks apiece whenever a new book comes out covers the cost nicely, and since they're not coughing up a wad of cash in a lump, they don't mind the fact that the book is in my possession. Good way of guaranteeing books are available to the group at game, since a number of them prefer PDFs.

+Quote Post
mdynna
post May 2 2006, 10:22 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,145

I'll add in my agreement to previous posts:
System Failure is easily converted but only really useful if you want your campaign to run "over" the events of 2064.

The Shadows of... books (America, Europe, Asia) are all still good and just need a little bit of "tweaking" to bring in line with SR4.

Dragons of the Sixth World will probably also be good for awhile if you want to do stuff with dragons.

Sprawl Survival Guide will also be good for awhile. In fact, many of the "standard" rules in SR4 came from SSG.

Basically, stay away from the "rule supplement" books. The "flavor" or "fluff" books are still worth it. However, if you can, I would recommend buying the cheaper PDF version of books rather than the printed. But that's a preference.

+Quote Post
Geekkake
post May 2 2006, 10:27 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,372

QUOTE (mdynna)
However, if you can, I would recommend buying the cheaper PDF version of books rather than the printed. But that's a preference.

But then what would he read on the toilet?

That's where I come up with the most ideas to kill the PCs.

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post May 2 2006, 11:22 PM
Post #21

Runner

Member No.: 98

I can only imagine conversations over your gaming table...

"Cyber-controlled hellhounds with ruthenium dermal sheathes? Where do you come up with this shit?"
"Heh heh heh..."

+Quote Post
ronin3338
post May 2 2006, 11:43 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,307

QUOTE (CONAN9845)
In our group, I was the one that bought EVERY SR3 book that came out. With the switch to SR4, you have everything you need to play. You don't need any SR3 material.

SR3 was the same way...

You didn't "need" MitS to run a mage, you didn't "need" CC to have a Gun Bunny, but if you didn't you were missing a lot of important rules and clarifications.

SR4 will be the same. You won't need any of the new books, but you're going to really, really want them.

+Quote Post
CONAN9845
post May 3 2006, 12:37 AM
Post #23

Target

Member No.: 2,798

QUOTE (ronin3338)
QUOTE (CONAN9845 @ May 1 2006, 11:50 PM)
In our group, I was the one that bought EVERY SR3 book that came out.  With the switch to SR4, you have everything you need to play.  You don't need any SR3 material.

SR3 was the same way...

You didn't "need" MitS to run a mage, you didn't "need" CC to have a Gun Bunny, but if you didn't you were missing a lot of important rules and clarifications.

SR4 will be the same. You won't need any of the new books, but you're going to really, really want them.

Keep in mind that I was referring to not needing any OLD SR3 material, not any NEW SR4 stuff.

I hated System Failure, by the way.

+Quote Post
ronin3338
post May 3 2006, 01:05 AM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,307

Ah, you're saying you don't need SR3 stuff to run SR4? That's true.

Honestly, I hadn't read System Failure, but I think that in my game I'm going to tone down the "wireless is everywhere and in everything" aspect. I think they overdid it...

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post May 3 2006, 01:09 AM
Post #25

Beetle Eater

Member No.: 2,826

They only begin to implement wireless in System Failure (which I loved) - something like 3 cities have it by 2066. Then it probably snowballed using advertising money and the Dot AR bubble... I mean the Internet is only ten years old and it's everywhere. Imagine with a culture already addicted to information...

Here is a previous topic on the arrival speed of wireless.

This post has been edited by Kanada Ten: May 3 2006, 01:25 AM

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:53 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.