Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Doberman Exception
Nasrudith
post May 4 2006, 03:04 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,447

I noticed something screwy about the doberman drone and the law. A doberman drone has a free weapon mount on it. Yet it has an availibility raiting of six, perfectly legal. However a weapon mount is fobidden level. Is this a system inconsistancy or the result of owned congressmen?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post May 4 2006, 03:07 AM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,957

Dobermans were mass marketed for a long time and there are a lot of them floating around now, which makes them fairly easy to get in the shadows.

I don't knowif it's canon, but it works for me. :)

+Quote Post
Nasrudith
post May 4 2006, 03:22 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,447

I meant more of the legality status then the availibility.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post May 4 2006, 03:27 AM
Post #4

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,957

Ah, I missed that. The doberman itself is perfectly legal. If you gett he free weapon mount the entire package becomes F. I would only shift it to F if there were actually a weapon in the mount myself.

+Quote Post
Kremlin KOA
post May 4 2006, 03:52 AM
Post #5

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,650

it comes with a weapon james
read the description

+Quote Post
Nidhogg
post May 4 2006, 04:44 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,934

QUOTE (Kremlin KOA)
read the description

Yes, but presumably the mount can serve other purposes too, beyond holding a weapon. Maybe the 'civillian' model comes with an arm, fire extinguisher, or some other doohickey mounted where the weapon mount is.

+Quote Post
CONAN9845
post May 4 2006, 04:53 AM
Post #7

Target

Member No.: 2,798

I want a doohickey! I will pay $50 for one!

SR3 was the same way. Just do whatever works with your group.

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post May 4 2006, 04:55 AM
Post #8

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

QUOTE (Nidhogg)
Maybe the 'civillian' model comes with an arm, fire extinguisher, or some other doohickey

Sadly , this reminds me of Short Circuit 2 (old movie). Now if you just have a doberman with a really good pilot program get hit by lightning and become sentient....

+Quote Post
Dranem
post May 4 2006, 04:56 AM
Post #9

Running Target

Member No.: 7,975

As not all firearms are forbidden, I would say to have a Doberman would require a valid or fake owners license... as you would have any weapon.

Just make sure you don't mount your Doberman with a forbidden weapon or amunition. Having a Doberman protect your household isn't that much different than having a dog or having a registered gun in your home by 2070.

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post May 4 2006, 04:58 AM
Post #10

Uncle Fisty

Except that the dog is a registered gun.. with full auto capability and heavy armor.

And your average dog or handgun can't be hacked and sent on a rampage.

Which is why your average Dog or Gun sucks.

This post has been edited by fistandantilus3.0: May 4 2006, 04:59 AM

+Quote Post
Big D
post May 4 2006, 05:00 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,455

Oh, good grief.

Now I'm going to have images of a Doberman/Aibo mix with LMG mounted Dynamutt-style on the back all night.

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post May 4 2006, 05:03 AM
Post #12

Uncle Fisty

awesome

+Quote Post
Divine Virus
post May 4 2006, 11:17 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,374

Here is the way I look at it.
WHen you buy a gun mount, you are retrofitting somthing not intended to have a weapon to have a weapon. now a doberman is pretty much a home security drone. It has a free weapons mount because, well, it is designed for shotin'. but untill you actually get a weapon there, whats it matter if you have a license

+Quote Post
Aaron
post May 4 2006, 01:44 PM
Post #14

Mr. Johnson

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 8,314

QUOTE (Kremlin KOA)
read the description

Er ... I don't have the book in front of me, but I thought it came with a weapon mount, not a weapon. That means you could put something legal (or licensed) on it and use it for home defense (or home defence in Europe) or something.

I think Divine Virus is right about the retrofit being the illegal thing, not the one that comes with the Doberman.

+Quote Post
blakkie
post May 4 2006, 01:56 PM
Post #15

Dragon

Member No.: 3,263

It actually says "Comes equipped with one weapon (LMG or smaller)", but since that represents quite a wide range of price in comparison to the overall drone I just take it to mean that you buy the drone and that you pick out the accessory at the extra price and availability.

If a player was being a rules lawyer prick about it? Being dull witted i'd likely just resort to violence. But maybe a better way would be that it says it comes with one weapon, not with the purchaser's choice of weapon. Have the supplier strap one of these bad boys into the "standard" model. Upgrades available at extra cost, pending government licensing...or appropriate sized bribe. :)

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post May 4 2006, 03:23 PM
Post #16

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

or just put the word "mount" into the "Comes equipped with one weapon (LMG or smaller)", and presto it all makes sense (kinda)...

still, there is the steel lynx to take into account. it have a availability of 12R. and the text for it contains "carries one weapon (LMG or smaller).

but i guess this is classical SR. each time the main book comes out, the vehicle stuff is confusing as hell. it becomes marginaly less with the rigger book, and then comes a new main book shortly after that...

+Quote Post
mdynna
post May 4 2006, 04:22 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,145

I'm working on the Rigger conversion! All will be made clear in time. They were apparently squeezed for time and space releasing SR4 so Rigger's and vehicles got the shaft. Ah well.

Along with my Rigger conversion I'm also going to release an alternate (more detailed) "chase" combat system. One that actually takes the speed of the vehicle into account. Sorry, that just ticks me off. "Why do I need a Eurocar? I can catch up to him with a tricycle if I roll well enough..." Sheesh.

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post May 4 2006, 09:00 PM
Post #18

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

QUOTE (blakkie)

If a player was being a rules lawyer prick about it? Being dull witted i'd likely just resort to violence. But maybe a better way would be that it says it comes with one weapon, not with the purchaser's choice of weapon. Have the supplier strap one of these bad boys into the "standard" model. Upgrades available at extra cost, pending government licensing...or appropriate sized bribe. :)

...I like it.

I wonder if they make a Sidewinder?

+Quote Post
Kremlin KOA
post May 4 2006, 09:16 PM
Post #19

Shooting Target

QUOTE (blakkie)
It actually says "Comes equipped with one weapon (LMG or smaller)", but since that represents quite a wide range of price in comparison to the overall drone I just take it to mean that you buy the drone and that you pick out the accessory at the extra price and availability.

Nerf gun?
I have killed GMs for less

But on a more serious note

This has always been a wierd bit about SR drones

LS Strato 9 back in SR3 had a gun that was worth more than the trone built in, and it was always one specific gun

I can agree with the price bit, not so sure on the avail bit

after all ya can get these puppies legally with a fake SIN

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post May 4 2006, 09:19 PM
Post #20

Runner

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (Kremlin KOA)
after all ya can get these puppies legally with a fake SIN

Explain to me how you can legally get something with a fake SIN? Isn't *everything* you do with a fake SIN (including having it) illegal?

+Quote Post
Kremlin KOA
post May 4 2006, 09:21 PM
Post #21

Shooting Target

I meant that the doberman is not restricted, thus you can ignore avail rules if your fake SIN passes muster at the store

+Quote Post
Demon_Bob
post Jun 5 2006, 02:25 AM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,226

It does say that it comes with one weapon up to LMG, but our group saysa that you have to pay seperatly for that weapon otherwise you could order it with a LMG (2k) Get the two autosoft rating 3 programs (1.2k) for only 3k.

Why should the Drone only cost 1k after the weapon

+Quote Post
Teulisch
post Jun 5 2006, 03:38 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,965

I say you would have to pay extra for your weapon of choice. and limit availibility to 12 as standard. dobeman with an ingram LMG will cost 5,000 plus, and be F legality. you really want to belt-feed that bad boy. the trick then is getting a van to hide your drone in, and move it to and from the target zone.

Really, i suspect the drone by itself (without a gun) is legal because of lobying by the corp that makes them. the megacorp puts pressure on the goverment to allow its product, while it creates jobs and dosent pay any taxes.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 09:45 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.