Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fetishes and Foci
Hasimir
post May 4 2006, 02:55 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,522

Under the new SR4 rules...can I use a tatoo as a fetish to use limited spells?
And what about foci...can a Focus be the powder used for a tatoo or a body-scaring?

And what happens when I suffer physical damage?
Will the signs on my body disappear/break and loose functionality?
And will they heals as I do?

Thx to anyone :D
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post May 4 2006, 03:02 PM
Post #2

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

I think you're in "ask the GM" territory, here.
My knee-jerk response is to say no to both.
Then I think maybe it might be reasonable, if the person creating the fetish or power focus is actually the tatoo artist, and the processes are done together. Part of the game-balance is lost, because they can't be dropped or taken from you, so they'd need to cost more or something to help balance that back out.
As for losing them with damage, standard damage doesn't have hit locations, but your GM could be cruel if you botch a damage resistance test or something. That might be game-balancing, right there.
Hmmmm, it sounds like a neat idea, but there are a lot of balance issues, there. I'm torn.

+Quote Post
mintcar
post May 4 2006, 03:03 PM
Post #3

Karma Police

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,505

It depends on whether or not the GM conciders a tatoo an object or not. Regardless, you would not want a focus tatoo, as you can't leave it behind. You would be a constant beacon to astral senses and you would have a hard time with astral barriers.

+Quote Post
Cang
post May 4 2006, 03:26 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,077

That gave me a great idea for a talismonger tatoo artist npc. There are many societies who consider tatoos magical and sacred. He could be a famous talismonger/tatoo artist is very good at what he does. He would have to charge alot if a player would want one of his tatoos. I would say maybe 3x the averge price of a focus/fetish. He could also get in a heap a trouble and would make a great run.

+Quote Post
Aaron
post May 4 2006, 04:08 PM
Post #5

Mr. Johnson

Member No.: 8,314

QUOTE (Hasimir)
Under the new SR4 rules...can I use a tatoo as a fetish to use limited spells?
And what about foci...can a Focus be the powder used for a tatoo or a body-scaring?

And what happens when I suffer physical damage?
Will the signs on my body disappear/break and loose functionality?
And will they heals as I do?

Thx to anyone :D

If I was running a game, and a player asked me this, I'd say that yes, you could use a tattoo for these purposes. However, as mintcar points out, it would be a constant astral nuisance. Also, I'd warn that it could be destroyed by physical damage, say, whenever you rolled a glitch on a damage resistance roll.

+Quote Post
bustedkarma
post May 4 2006, 04:14 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,420

How would a ward interact with a Tattoo Foci?
Would it just try seperate the astral construct from the ink, or would it try to shear the entire arm off?

+Quote Post
mdynna
post May 4 2006, 04:16 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,145

I would say it couldn't be a fetish but it could be a Focus. Splitting hairs maybe. I think the game balance is there because although the Focus could never be dropped or left behind, it is astrally active and thus if you run into a barrier or start attracting astral attention the Focus can't be dropped or left behind. :) Double-edged sword that one.

+Quote Post
Aaron
post May 4 2006, 04:52 PM
Post #8

Mr. Johnson

QUOTE (bustedkarma)
How would a ward interact with a Tattoo Foci?
Would it just try seperate the astral construct from the ink, or would it try to shear the entire arm off?

There are rules for that in the BBB. I don't have it here at work, so I can't give you a page number, but it's under Astral Barriers. Basically, when it comes to a make-or-break situation, either the barrier is breached or the astral entity is disrupted (foci go boink, spirits go home, dual-natured beings go to sleep).

+Quote Post
Hasimir
post May 4 2006, 07:15 PM
Post #9

Target

Member No.: 8,522

Actually my main interest was on tatoo fetish.
Foci were an idea popped to mind while I was typing ^_^

Wasn't there somewhere a kind of magical tradition that specifically used "tatoo magic" in the past SR editions?
I think someone talked about Aztlan magic or something...but the forum search isn't helping on this :P

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post May 4 2006, 07:22 PM
Post #10

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

Tatooing was a metamagic that was related to Quickening. I believe that Quickening was a prerequisite for it. Basicly, the tatoos would be used to make the Quickening more powerful and more difficult to dispell. It was popular amongst the Yakuza, I believe.

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post May 4 2006, 07:24 PM
Post #11

Dragon

Member No.: 8,019

Did breaching the barrier alert the creator?

+Quote Post
Aaron
post May 5 2006, 11:16 AM
Post #12

Mr. Johnson

QUOTE (emo samurai)
Did breaching the barrier alert the creator?

In the BBB, you mean? Yes.

Oh, and it's page 185-186.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 05:46 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.