Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 3rd Ed Stealth.
Rajaat99
post May 15 2006, 05:53 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,166

My players have high stealth and they can sneak past alot. Besides perception, what other ways do people have of detecting sneaky people? I've used high sensor rating drones against them too. There's probably something obvious I'm not seeing, so I'm asking for help.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mfb
post May 15 2006, 06:35 PM
Post #2

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

use security measures. pressure pads can't be snuck past, unless you're an adept with traceless walk. laser tripwires are hard to detect, as are capitance wires and pheremone sniffers.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post May 15 2006, 07:02 PM
Post #3

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,957

Changing stealth vs. perception to an opposed test with a base target number of 4 might also help. It definitely helps make results more predictable insteadof wondering if the guy with one skill is going to get lucky and be harder to see then the guy with 4 skill.

+Quote Post
mfb
post May 15 2006, 07:08 PM
Post #4

Immortal Elf

i think, in this situation, that would actually make things worse, though i would normally agree that open tests are the devil. the PCs have high stealth skills, probably higher than most guards' intelligence scores, which means that making the outcome more consistent will make it even harder for the guards to detect the PCs.

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post May 15 2006, 07:19 PM
Post #5

Ain Soph Aur

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 600

Guards can use their Stealth skill as Complementary dice, so you get a boost right there.

Otherwise, security setups consisting of good lighting, open Zero Zone terrain, electronic surveillance such as thermal or ultrasound, guard animals or guard spirits, etc. All this forces the players to come up with a stealthing scheme more detailed than "we go by here and roll high on our stealth".

+Quote Post
mfb
post May 15 2006, 07:31 PM
Post #6

Immortal Elf

yeah. try imposing terrain modifiers to the stealth roll--sneaking through hip-high grass is a lot easier than sneaking across a well-lit, empty concrete lot.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post May 15 2006, 07:43 PM
Post #7

Great Dragon

The Corporate Security Handbook had a lot of good ideas in it. I think I remember seeing it at one of the online stores as a pdf.

+Quote Post
SL James
post May 15 2006, 08:52 PM
Post #8

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Group: Banned
From: Pissing on pedestrians from my electronic ivory tower.
Member No.: 7,473

*cough* SOTA63 *cough*

+Quote Post
Rajaat99
post May 15 2006, 11:01 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Alright, I'll quit being lazy and go read. Terrain modifers? Duh. I don't know what I was thinking. Maybe, I wasn't.
SOTA: 2063, I'll go check it out.
Corporate Security Handbook. I'll see if I can hunt it down.
Thanks all.

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post May 16 2006, 12:10 AM
Post #10

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,383

Stealth is really unrealiable. The key is to make the PCs just keep making stealth checks until one of them gets a bad roll. At the same time put a lot of average guards around the compound so that each one gets to roll 3 dice to detect intruders. Even if the PCs have great stealth one of them will screw up eventually and one of the many guards will see him and open fire, alerting everyone.

I really can't believe that there's difficulty with this because stealth has always been simultaneously an important skill but also kind of a universal weak link.

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post May 16 2006, 02:03 AM
Post #11

Ain Soph Aur

Member No.: 600

QUOTE (Rajaat99)
Alright, I'll quit being lazy and go read. Terrain modifers? Duh. I don't know what I was thinking. Maybe, I wasn't.
SOTA: 2063, I'll go check it out.
Corporate Security Handbook. I'll see if I can hunt it down.
Thanks all.

SOTA 2063 has most of what was in the Corp Sec Handbook, so you only need one of the two, really.

+Quote Post
SL James
post May 16 2006, 02:12 AM
Post #12

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Plus some neat stuff it didn't have - like rules for hotwiring a maglock (which occasionally can come in hand) and all sorts of other stuff. Not that CSH lacks them - it's just... more well-arranged.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post May 16 2006, 02:15 AM
Post #13

Beetle Eater

Member No.: 2,826

Plus, Corporate Security has a lot of material not applicable for SR3.

+Quote Post
SL James
post May 16 2006, 02:25 AM
Post #14

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

BTW, I really like Extended Missile Parry and wish they kept it in MitS.

+Quote Post
blakkie
post May 16 2006, 02:52 AM
Post #15

Dragon

Member No.: 3,263

QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ May 15 2006, 06:10 PM)
The key is to make the PCs just keep making stealth checks until one of them gets a bad roll.

Any excellent example of how the GM can "munchkin" the system. :( Doesn't cherry picking unlimited rerolls feel even remotely like "cheating" to you?

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post May 16 2006, 03:12 AM
Post #16

Great Dragon

Nooooo! I agree with blakkie again!!!! Aieeee! ;)

+Quote Post
mfb
post May 16 2006, 05:02 AM
Post #17

Immortal Elf

while cherry-picking rolls is not a method i would personally use, i don't think it's 'cheating' to make the players roll more often. after all, they're the ones wanting to use the skill so frequently.

+Quote Post
Sharaloth
post May 16 2006, 05:08 AM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,093

I agree with Blakkie as well.

As a GM I only make PC's reroll stealth if the situation changes. For instance, if a PC is hiding out ouside a protected compound and uber-rolls a 32 on the stealth test, all the guards in the compound are very unlikely to notice him, so long as he doesn't leave that oh-so-perfect cover he's managed to find. I'm not going to make him roll a new stealth roll for each guard that comes by, that's just stupid and obviously the GM trying to screw over the player. If the PC decides to leave that hiding spot and sneak towards the building, that's a new stealth roll there, and a new possibility for discovery. Once he's inside, he's got to contend with more stuff, and will generally require a new stealth roll every time he crosses into an entirely new section of the building (a new floor, a more secured area, the guard's breakroom, etc).

+Quote Post
nezumi
post May 16 2006, 01:20 PM
Post #19

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Member No.: 5,760

Thought of trying closed doors? Just set a little beeper so it rings when someone goes in (most stores have those). Also motion detectors, and always apply appropriate modifiers for terrain (make them up if they aren't listed, I don't recollect the list being as complete as I'd like). Walking through an empty parking lot at high noon should probably impose a -8 to the stealth roll. So it's possible, but very, very difficult. Also don't forget to apply modifiers based on the speed the person is moving. A person moving at a crawl will hide better than someone walking at normal speed.

+Quote Post
Rajaat99
post May 16 2006, 04:57 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

QUOTE (James McMurray)
Nooooo! I agree with blakkie again!!!! Aieeee! ;)

I know how you feel. It's like a heart attack when you agree.
My players have Stealth at 6, 7, and 8, so a guard with intelligence 3 is unlikely to notice them, even with constant rerolls. Plus my players always use Karma.
I'm going to go with terrian modifiers and non-visual forms of detection. Like beeping doors, laser trip wires, and pressure plates. Maybe, even gas chambers, triggered by a laser trip wire.
SLAM!
Ebony, "That door just slammed behind us."
SLAM!
Stain, "And the door in front of us."
Static, "What's that smell?"
All togeather, "Uh-oh."
:D

+Quote Post
mfb
post May 16 2006, 06:15 PM
Post #21

Immortal Elf

keep in mind that in the SR3 rules, using karma on an open test just gives you one extra die per iteration. eg you get one die for 1 kp, two dice for 3kp, three dice for 6kp, and so on.

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post May 16 2006, 11:17 PM
Post #22

Great Dragon

Well, obviously I don't just sit there and keep telling the PCs to reroll until they get a satisfactorily poor roll. That would just piss everyone off and derail the game.

No, no, no. This is how you do it.

You have a lot of average security guards with Int 3. The PCs are hiding somewhere or sneaking somewhere and they roll between 6 and 8 dice, let's say. They often roll at least ~8 on their stealth test and can also get results of around 15 or so without too much problem.

So, yes, if I just roll 3 dice I'm probably not going to beat 8, 15, or the occasional 20+. But the thing is that each guard gets the chance to notice each PC. So I roll 5 times for the Int 3 guard if there's a hiding party of 5. Furthermore, if there are a lot of guards I roll for each guard. So 10 average guards rolling Int 3 five times to detect a party of 5 would result in my rolling a total of 150 dice.

I don't see how you can construe that as cheating. I think that's actually following the rules pretty literally. And with 150 rolls it dosen't matter if we give the guards +6 TN penalties for cover and concealment or whatever. You're still probably going to get at least one really excellent roll. And, as far as I can tell, I think I'm just following the rules.

+Quote Post
Taran
post May 16 2006, 11:47 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,891

Heh. I've actually done that, albeit at a slightly smaller scale. But I had a computer with a Lisp interpreter do all the heavy lifting for me.

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post May 16 2006, 11:52 PM
Post #24

Great Dragon

Agreed. Electronic dice rollers help a great deal. I actually mostly used computer programs for rolling as a GM. Using physical dice was rare for me. Personally, I think that since technology is there we should use it to run a better game. An efficient computer program > lots of dice and counting.

+Quote Post
mfb
post May 17 2006, 12:01 AM
Post #25

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
But the thing is that each guard gets the chance to notice each PC.

not in SR3. groups, in SR3, roll the highest Int +1 die per each member of the group.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 11:02 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.