IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shastar Vedia - Hermetic or Shamanistic?
Smilin_Jack
post May 15 2006, 05:54 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,521

THE SWORD MEDITATION
By Gatka Baij Nanak Dev Singh Khalsa

The sword has been for centuries revered by man as a symbol of his power. It was not until the Sikh Guru Hargobind that a deeper understanding of this was revealed. He taught that the sword was a symbol of both temporal and spiritual power. Later Guru Gobind Singh defined this further by describing " God fashioned the entire universe with his sword". For this reason the sword is seen as the primal force of the universe.

The Akali Nihang Singhs worship the sword as a manifestation of God's power. It is through the Sword Meditation that we are granted its blessings. And by which its immense power becomes the law which governs ours thought and actions.

Shastar is the name given to the weapons used in Shastar Vedia. The weapons are held in the highest esteem even higher than the teacher! Weapons have a special place where they are stored and presented. They are approached with respect and bowed to as if they were a living thing. It is believed that these weapons came directly from God and they are manifestations of God's power on earth. Thus the power of God has been put into the hands of man. This is a huge responsibility and something which is easily abused even with the best intentions in mind.

Was just crusin along the net lastnight and came across this and thought it would make a fairly interesting magical tradition for both PCs and NPCs?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cheops
post May 15 2006, 06:03 PM
Post #2

Shooting Target

Member No.: 392

It is rather interesting but the Sikh religion is so small that it'd be wierd to see more than one or two of these practitioners in a campaign (unless it's based in South Asia).

Note that hermetic v shamanic doesn't matter anymore. This tradition would probably have willpower and charisma (strength of character) as its drain. I'd put earth as its combat element, not sure about the others. (Earth = metal = sword) Although I suppose earth could also be manipulation since it represents God's power of creation.

+Quote Post
Smilin_Jack
post May 15 2006, 06:10 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,521

QUOTE (Cheops @ May 15 2006, 01:03 PM)
It is rather interesting but the Sikh religion is so small that it'd be wierd to see more than one or two of these practitioners in a campaign (unless it's based in South Asia).

True - I'd definately introduce it as a NPC tradition first.

Hmm ... Nothing scarier than a guy who knows God is on his side... and wields the power to prove it. Maybe some rising star in the Humanis Policlub? :vegm:

Note that hermetic v shamanic doesn't matter anymore.  This tradition would probably have willpower and charisma (strength of character) as its drain.  I'd put earth as its combat element, not sure about the others. (Earth = metal = sword)  Although I suppose earth could also be manipulation since it represents God's power of creation.

I just noticed that - still absorbing the SR4 Magic chapter.

+Quote Post
mfb
post May 15 2006, 06:39 PM
Post #4

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

sounds like an adept-only tradition to me, or at least one that mainly features adepts.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 03:32 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.