Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cyberware in prison
Loestal
post May 18 2006, 01:58 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,565

I was wondering, how is cyberware handled in say, max sercurity prisons. Say if an inmate has cyber eyes...what do they do? Surely they don't remove the eyes. Would they just leave them be? Obviously there would probably be no wi-fi connections to the Matrix in the area. But say cyber arms and spurs. Do they remove them, or just leave them in? This is going to come into play when I have a party of mine attempt a prison break. Any info would help.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post May 18 2006, 02:06 AM
Post #2

Beetle Eater

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 2,826

Some cyberware they remove (spurs, cyberguns, anything with an F code), some cyber is simply disabled and requires surgery to fix. Some things, say cybereyes, could have IC loaded onto them to prevent access of high end functions. Cyberarms could be removed and replaced with cyberprosthetics, if they posed a threat.

Some max prisons are also built in mana dead zones, as well, though these are usually reserved (is that a pun?) for magicians and adepts.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post May 18 2006, 02:08 AM
Post #3

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

And lets not forget virtual prisions. Who needs guards when you can just hook everyone up to a UV host and feed them slop through a tube.

+Quote Post
Glayvin34
post May 18 2006, 02:08 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,275

I haven't noticed anything in the SR4 book, but you could install programs to reduce cyberlimbs to have physical stats of 1, spurs can't extend, that kind of thing. Or Kanada's removal of weapon systems, I bet that takes 5 minutes. Then back it up with serious encryption and passcodes, Data Bombs and Kink Bombs.
From page 331, in Headware, note the final sentence:
QUOTE (The Bible)
Cranial Bombs: An illegal method of coercion, cranial bombs are the ultimate headache. Kink bombs are designed to damage only part of the victim’s head, either rendering specific headware (or other cyberware) useless or damaging the brain to cause blindness, stuttering, hearing loss, etc. Microbombs are just powerful enough to kill the bearer. Area bombs do the same, but also affect a blast area like either a fragmentation or high-explosive grenade (p. 313). The bombs can be remote- or time-detonated, or even set to discharge by sound recognition. If installed in cyberlimbs, these bombs are designed to destroy specific components (kink), the entire limb (micro), or blast the area (area).

+Quote Post
Loestal
post May 18 2006, 02:24 AM
Post #5

Target

All very good and helpful ideas thanks. But it posses a problem. I need for the party to get caught "on camera" inside the prison and was gonna use an inmate using his cyber eyes to take a few pictures and use that to lessen his sentance or something. Although I will admit, I'm not THAT familiar with Lone Star prison systems, or even if Lone Star has prisons. But that was the idea I was gonna go with, but it really doesn't seem that logical now...hmmm..if anyone could give me a hand here I would appreciate it.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post May 18 2006, 02:29 AM
Post #6

Beetle Eater

Makes perfect sense actually. Prisons often have inmates play informant for favors: extra cigarettes, women, drugs, the good work detail, and so on. These can often be life with no parole types, since they have nothing to lose and maybe a transfer to a lower security prison to gain.

+Quote Post
Dale
post May 18 2006, 02:49 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,088

I could have sworn in a shadowrun adventure in a magazine years ago there was an adventure where the pc's had to infiltrate a prison as prisoners and there was the option of getting handblades, etc... implanted from a psycho cybersurgeon in their cell block.

+Quote Post
Squinky
post May 18 2006, 03:50 AM
Post #8

Running Target

Member No.: 7,377

What??!! Take away a persons right to use their cybereyes? I'm calling the ACLU...

I could imagine a person with limbs being given cheap plastic ware in place of the sturdier stuff, and you can be sure they are wired right up to a hacker in a control room who can take over them if need be. For that matter, I think most prisons would use prisoner cyber-eyes unknown as surveliance. They may think they had their recording functionality turned off, but someone is looking through their eyes in a control room somewhere...

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post May 18 2006, 03:55 AM
Post #9

Beetle Eater

QUOTE (Squinky @ May 17 2006, 10:50 PM)
They may think they had their recording functionality turned off, but someone is looking through their eyes in a control room somewhere...

The problem with that is intruders will be able to detect and disable them as they disable the security. Maybe they do use this method, combined with snitch cells to really keep prisoners more afraid of each other...

+Quote Post
Loestal
post May 18 2006, 05:23 AM
Post #10

Target

Hm...well alright then. I guess I'll go with my original idea then. Something else that crossed my mind, what about bioware. There isn't alot they can do about that unless they go thru the surgery which would be expensive for the prison I would imagine. Anyways, thanks alot guys...you've actually helped alot.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post May 18 2006, 05:31 AM
Post #11

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,957

I don't know that they'd really do a lot to begin with. I don't picture Shadowrun prisons as places where human dignity and rights is a big concern. Let the guy have his wired reflexes 3. What's the worst he'll do, smack around some other inmates? They're all criminals anyway, and most of them are probably SNIless except for their shiny new criminal SIN. Most prison gaurds would work from a distance via rigged security, sleepy gas in sealed chambers, etc.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post May 18 2006, 05:40 AM
Post #12

Beetle Eater

There is only a few pieces of bioware that would help one escape from prison or increase your threat level: Toxin Extractor and Tracheal Filter (nanite removal), Skin Pocket (stitched up), Bone Density (atrophy drugs to decrease Str) and Muscle Augmentation (atrophy drugs - like they use on trolls).

+Quote Post
Loestal
post May 18 2006, 05:41 AM
Post #13

Target

Very true, which is something I considered. But leaving so much hi-tech gear in the hands of criminals would be very risky. I mean hell, look at our prisons now. If a riot breaks out it's very hard to contain and they are using a toothbrush and lighter as weapons. Surely they wouldn't leave certain things just readily accessible.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post May 18 2006, 05:54 AM
Post #14

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,957

They might. Most of the high threat prisoners they get will be SINless and/or violent criminals. Keeping SINless violent offenders in prison costs money. Money that corps don't like losing. If a SINless person is killed in a riot there will be nobody to mourn and (more importantly) nobody to sue.

Put the SINned prisoners in a different prison where you do keep an eye on prisoner safety and take pains to ensure dangerous cyberweaponry doesn't get through the gates.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post May 18 2006, 06:22 AM
Post #15

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

If I were running a SR4 prision I'd just give the prisioners knock-out drugs, slap 'trodes on them, and shove them into coffin sized lockers in a warehouse somewhere with tubes to feed them and remove their wastes. The UV host they are hooked up to would be modeled after a tropical island and they'll believe that they were banished there. I won't matter what kind of 'ware they have, they won't be able to access it in the real world. It doesn't matter what kind of magic they know. They'll only be able to cast spells in the simulaton. If they try to go to the metaplanes the simulation kicks them back to their bodies. If they are killed the simulation deposits them on another island and leaves a copy of their bodies. And all the while the system is streaming behavior programing and new skillsets directly into their minds. When they get out they'll have experienced several lifetimes away from society in their minds and have an irresistable urge to knit ishould they ever feel any antisocial feelings.

As for keeping violent offenders, prisions usually get paid per head. It is in their best interest to have as many inmates as is possible.

+Quote Post
NightHaunter
post May 18 2006, 02:28 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,408

QUOTE (James McMurray)
They might. Most of the high threat prisoners they get will be SINless and/or violent criminals. Keeping SINless violent offenders in prison costs money. Money that corps don't like losing. If a SINless person is killed in a riot there will be nobody to mourn and (more importantly) nobody to sue.

Put the SINned prisoners in a different prison where you do keep an eye on prisoner safety and take pains to ensure dangerous cyberweaponry doesn't get through the gates.

I would assume that every SINless prisoner would be issued with a brand spanking new SIN. Assuming they were gonna be let out. Just so they could be tracked.
If not, the same amount of resourses would be spent making sure the "Prisoner" disappeared in prison.

I forsee most Cyber getting ripped out or shut down. Maybe even turned right down if that's not possible.
Dangerous Bio would have to be countered (Dismembered with nano's) and mages would have to, at least, wear a magemask.
Adepts and mages could also have their magic literally beaten out of them.
You know how serious injury affects magic users!

That's about it from me for now!

:smokin:

+Quote Post
Smilin_Jack
post May 18 2006, 03:08 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,521

Check the SOTA64 Sourcebook - I don't imagine much has changed in 7 years. ;)

Cyber/Bio Monsters

1. Too expensive to rip out cyberwear or biowear.
2. Disable it by cutting a few wires, or implanting micro bombs set to go off if the 'wear is activated.
3. Datajacks and Chipjacks are fitted with a jackstopper.
4. Use of involuntary simsense 'rehabilitation'.

Mages

1. 24/7 Magemasks
2. 24/7 Simsense
3. 24/7 Hallucinogenic Drugs
4. Hideous background counts in most prisons
5. Manacles that prevent astral movement.

There's an entire section that deals with this in SOTA64, called "In the Joint".

Joining gangs, prison tech, prison dueling rules, etc.

+Quote Post
Toptomcat
post May 18 2006, 03:15 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,112

What about those who express as mages or adepts while on the inside? I imagine they could be pretty huge problems until the guards manage to get them into lockdown- particularly if they're subtle about it, as I'm willing to bet they don't screen formerly non-magical prisinors regularly...

+Quote Post
Grinder
post May 18 2006, 03:18 PM
Post #19

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 5,698

A prison probably has mages doing astral patrolling regularly. They will spot new awakened mages/ adepts pretty quickly and deal with them.

+Quote Post
Smilin_Jack
post May 18 2006, 03:38 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

SR prisons are fully capable of dealing with riots without endangering a single guard through the use of 'taser-capable floors' (extending from the common areas and into the cells), gas-delivery systems, and drones equiped with stun weaponry.

Prisons are also wired extensively for sound and audio, and most have several astral mages and spirits who patrol.

+Quote Post
Toptomcat
post May 18 2006, 03:42 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

A prison probably has mages doing astral patrolling regularly. They will spot new awakened mages/ adepts pretty quickly and deal with them.

Really? I see those capable of astral perception as too much in-demand for a prison to have the resources hire them enough to regularly patrol their non-magical inmates.

+Quote Post
Smilin_Jack
post May 18 2006, 03:48 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Well since its the Security Corps (Lonestar, Knight Errant, etc) that run and own the prisons - and they put the prisoners to work (no license plates - try textile goods, industrial supplies, electronic components, and a lot more besides). The prisoner pays for their own upkeep, and may be allowed to keep a small percentage by the Sec Corp.

The Sec Corp is also payed by the city/country/etc to house the prisoners.

Its big business - and with them housing 'violent' criminals .... they are going to hire mages for security.

+Quote Post
Loestal
post May 18 2006, 03:51 PM
Post #23

Target

I would think I would create prisons just for mages, so therefore you can concentrate all your magical effort in one area.

+Quote Post
Toptomcat
post May 18 2006, 03:59 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

QUOTE (Smilin_Jack)
Well since its the Security Corps (Lonestar, Knight Errant, etc) that run and own the prisons - and they put the prisoners to work (no license plates - try textile goods, industrial supplies, electronic components, and a lot more besides). The prisoner pays for their own upkeep, and may be allowed to keep a small percentage by the Sec Corp.

The Sec Corp is also payed by the city/country/etc to house the prisoners.

Its big business - and with them housing 'violent' criminals .... they are going to hire mages for security.

They will probably have mages, yes, but the prison mages will be too busy controlling the known Awakened prisinors to give the ones that are 99.9% mundane the old astral once-over.

+Quote Post
Smilin_Jack
post May 18 2006, 04:02 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

The do that too.

QUOTE (SOTA 64)
Blackstone Prison, the notorious 'mage prison'. Built about 30 years ago (from 2064) on top of a mana warp found in eastern South Dakota. MCT build the prison spacifically to house the 'dangerously awakened'. Blackstones mana warp seems to induce a range of emotional effects from depression to catatonia, making for a docile population.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 06:33 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.