Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Speeding up combat without House Rules
phasmaphobic
post May 20 2006, 01:37 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,070

Man, combat is running a lot slower than I would like. What techniques do you folks use for speeding up combat without house-ruling custom systems and streamlines? Printouts, initiative trackers, computer programs, etc?

Combat is getting to the point that I just want to avoid it altogether, sheesh.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Loestal
post May 20 2006, 02:54 AM
Post #2

Target

Member No.: 8,565

Honestly, combat is faster than 3rd ed. in my opinion. The only thing I like of the old combat system is the fact that a little kid with a hand gun could kill you if you rolled right. You could stage up the dmg. to deadly if you rolled right. In 4th ed, it seems less likely to do so as the only way to "stage up" damage is net hits and that usually isn't enough to kill somebody in a single shot. I just liked the constant fear that any second you could die by anyone. But i digress, 4th ed. combat I think is faster...it's just a matter of any other RPG and thats getting used to the system so you can use it quickly. I really can't think of any other way to make combat faster, do you really think it to be that much of a chore?

+Quote Post
phasmaphobic
post May 20 2006, 03:00 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

QUOTE (Loestal)
Honestly, combat is faster than 3rd ed. in my opinion. The only thing I like of the old combat system is the fact that a little kid with a hand gun could kill you if you rolled right. You could stage up the dmg. to deadly if you rolled right. In 4th ed, it seems less likely to do so as the only way to "stage up" damage is net hits and that usually isn't enough to kill somebody in a single shot. I just liked the constant fear that any second you could die by anyone. But i digress, 4th ed. combat I think is faster...it's just a matter of any other RPG and thats getting used to the system so you can use it quickly. I really can't think of any other way to make combat faster, do you really think it to be that much of a chore?

Interesting...

However, I don't care about 3rd Edition - otherwise, I would have posted about this in the main Shadowrun forum.

I'm trying to find nifty ways to speed up the flow of combat, not differences in systems.

+Quote Post
Vaevictis
post May 20 2006, 03:12 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,441

If everyone agrees, a combat turn tracker that rolls initiative can help a lot. I wrote one for SR3 that we use, and it helps immensely as the GM doesn't have to roll initiative for every NPC or collect initiative scores that the players rolled; if the system has a damage tracker, that helps also. It cut the average combat turn from a 10 minute event to about 2 minutes.

Haven't actually done it for SR4, but after looking at the rules, I imagine it would help a bit less, but still be helpful.

+Quote Post
phasmaphobic
post May 20 2006, 05:28 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

QUOTE (Vaevictis)
If everyone agrees, a combat turn tracker that rolls initiative can help a lot. I wrote one for SR3 that we use, and it helps immensely as the GM doesn't have to roll initiative for every NPC or collect initiative scores that the players rolled; if the system has a damage tracker, that helps also. It cut the average combat turn from a 10 minute event to about 2 minutes.

Haven't actually done it for SR4, but after looking at the rules, I imagine it would help a bit less, but still be helpful.

I have definitely noticed faster combats since switching to SR4, but they're not quite fast enough for my tastes. I've got a quick macro-based excel sheet that sorts initiative actions after I enter scores and press a button, and resets with another button. However, I'm the kind of GM that paces around the room as the action unfolds.

I'd like to find some kind of easy printable sheet, or some cutout cards I can use. I might just make some of my own and share them.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post May 20 2006, 05:29 AM
Post #6

Beetle Eater

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 2,826

Check Arron's page out, it may have something you'll like.

+Quote Post
BishopMcQ
post May 20 2006, 05:35 AM
Post #7

The back-up plan

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,910

For all of the games my group runs, we use index cards.

Write down the name, quick skill list, stats and a combat meter. We have laminated blanks that I can fill in with a wet-erase marker for the goons since they change regularly and non-laminated ones for the players.

Keep the cards in order and go through the list until everyone is out of passes. Then re-roll initiative, re-order your cards and you are good to go.

ANother thing that I find helps is for the players to know what they plan on doing and reference the book for any odd rules and modifiers before their turn. That way they just need the modifiers that the goons bring in (armor rating for called shot etc) and they are ready to go.

+Quote Post
SL James
post May 20 2006, 08:56 AM
Post #8

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Group: Banned
From: Pissing on pedestrians from my electronic ivory tower.
Member No.: 7,473

You could just make up a skill "Attack" and another "Defend" and have attackers and defenders roll their respective dice. Whoever has the most hits wins - either killing the target or not even getting a flesh wound.

Once you master that, you can move onto the "Shadowrun" skill and the "GM Opposition" threshold, so you don't actually have to roll more than once during a game, and you can skip all that annoying "role-playing."

+Quote Post
Clyde
post May 20 2006, 09:05 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,237

Some ways to speed up combat:

1) Players total up their dice ahead of time. This means both having the number written down (Agility+Skill+Smartlink/Laser+Specialization) AND having the dice counted out ahead of time. As GM, you should be prepared to do the same for your NPCs.

2) No cross talk. When players get distracted while combat is going on, they lose focus on the game. That hurts several ways: you have to repeat descriptions to them or other players who didn't hear the first time, they need time to process that info before they make up their mind, they don't have rule references ready, etc. If everybody is listening to the GM and/or the active player then you can be planning your next move before your turn comes up. That helps out with Number 1 a lot.

3) Know your facts: spell drain codes, grenade scatter and especially DAMAGE CODES (I don't know how many times I've had players have to open the book to figure out what damage they're doing). This stuff should be either memorized or written down (on the character sheet or an index card).

4) WING IT! You don't need to get every single +1 or -1 exactly right on every shot. You can be off by quite a bit, but unless the fight is between guys of exactly the same skill level it's all coming out in the wash, anyway. This saves a lot of time flipping through the book - you can do that at home.

5) Time limits. This one is real controversial, especially if your players like to sit and figure things out. Tell them that they've only got 30 seconds from when you call on them to have their dice rolled - it's over TEN TIMES the amount of time that their character has. You should be prepared to move awfully fast with your NPCs if you want this rule to work, though. If the player can't figure out what he wants to do skip him and move to the next person - if the player can't figure out how much damage he does just rule that it was a freak graze that did no damage at all. You should only need to do this a couple of times to get their attention and get things moving a lot quicker.

I know you didn't want house rules, but I will report that our group will be trying the "Don't roll damage resistance" rule tomorrow. I'll let folks know how that goes if anyone's interested.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post May 20 2006, 10:25 PM
Post #10

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,957

QUOTE (SL James)
You could just make up a skill "Attack" and another "Defend" and have attackers and defenders roll their respective dice. Whoever has the most hits wins - either killing the target or not even getting a flesh wound.

Once you master that, you can move onto the "Shadowrun" skill and the "GM Opposition" threshold, so you don't actually have to roll more than once during a game, and you can skip all that annoying "role-playing."

Ah, the ever familiar "I'm a jerk" response. :rotfl:

On topic: Clyde covered most of the bases, but there's a few others.

1) Roll dice ahead of time. If you use sheets or cards for the NPCs you can record several attack and defense rolls for them, noting the number of successes. When a PC says he's shooting you mark off the next roll on the page and use those hits. The more you roll the more turns you'll be able to go through without having to pick up dice very often.

2) Let your players roll their dice during someone else's turn. People usually know that they're going to shoot someone on their turn. Letting them roll firearms dice ahead of time will speed things up. You can't do it if you can't trust your players, but if you an you're set.

3) Electronic dice rollers speed things up a lot, but some people don't like them. I prefer the sound of dice rolling, but YMMV.

+Quote Post
phasmaphobic
post May 20 2006, 10:42 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

QUOTE (James McMurray)
QUOTE (SL James @ May 20 2006, 03:56 AM)

On topic: Clyde covered most of the bases, but there's a few others.

1) Roll dice ahead of time. If you use sheets or cards for the NPCs you can record several attack and defense rolls for them, noting the number of successes. When a PC says he's shooting you mark off the next roll on the page and use those hits. The more you roll the more turns you'll be able to go through without having to pick up dice very often.

2) Let your players roll their dice during someone else's turn. People usually know that they're going to shoot someone on their turn. Letting them roll firearms dice ahead of time will speed things up. You can't do it if you can't trust your players, but if you an you're set.

3) Electronic dice rollers speed things up a lot, but some people don't like them. I prefer the sound of dice rolling, but YMMV.

Yeah, I chose to ignore that response. My only problem with the Dumpshock forums are the fact that some folks here have some serious attitude problems.

Thanks for the tips. I have no problems at all with my GMing styles, but a lot of these are good ideas. Most of my games are dedicated to character interactions, to the point that when the rare combats do happen, it all gets bogged down because people seem to actually forget the flow of it, being so used to a more dice-free style of role-playing.

Thanks for the input.

+Quote Post
SL James
post May 20 2006, 11:38 PM
Post #12

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

QUOTE (James McMurray)
QUOTE (SL James @ May 20 2006, 03:56 AM)

Yeah, well.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post May 21 2006, 12:16 AM
Post #13

Great Dragon

How eloquent of you. Have you ever considered a career in statecraft? Or perhaps someone's looking for a good stump somewhere?

+Quote Post
Nasrudith
post May 21 2006, 05:27 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,447

Write down the modifers for tests on a note card so you don't flip around a lot.
In fact copy all summry charts down.

+Quote Post
Clyde
post May 22 2006, 03:12 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,237

OK, as promised a report on subtracting armor instead of rolling damage resistance.

We played about six hours, got in two fairly short runs. Overall, I didn't notice any real difference in how easy or hard it was to take guys down. It did speed things up a bit - although it could be somewhat tough running all that math around. Definitely favors ranged combat over melee, though, because it's hard to damage unarmed against a guy with 6 impact going on - our 7 Strength Ork with Unarmed 4 and Agility like 5 did a piddly 1 damage to a Triad mage. Definitely not his high point.

But overall, I like how it worked out. It also has the side effect of equalizing APDS and EX ammunition.

+Quote Post
SL James
post May 22 2006, 03:24 AM
Post #16

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

QUOTE (James McMurray)
How eloquent of you. Have you ever considered a career in statecraft? Or perhaps someone's looking for a good stump somewhere?

Eh.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post May 22 2006, 03:31 AM
Post #17

Great Dragon

What ratio did you use? If it's 1:1 the value of armor just shot through the roof.

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post May 22 2006, 03:52 AM
Post #18

Dragon

Member No.: 8,019

QUOTE (SL James)
QUOTE (James McMurray @ May 20 2006, 06:16 PM)

Eh.

Mooo

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post May 22 2006, 06:39 AM
Post #19

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,465

QUOTE (phasmaphobic)
Man, combat is running a lot slower than I would like. What techniques do you folks use for speeding up combat without house-ruling custom systems and streamlines? Printouts, initiative trackers, computer programs, etc?

I use a Initiative tracker I made using MS-Access to help with tracking combat things.

Another thing we do is always assume 4 IP per Combat Turn. This lets us divide up movement and running numbers and helps track better when some folks have IP to act and other just move.

Learning SR4 from SR3 is what slows us down the most but its faster IMO from what we've seen.

Also, having enemies stats and gear handy either on paper, computer or in your head helps when it comes to looking up things. Unless my NPCs are critical and require skills and a special stat, I'll tend to give them all same values to help minimize lots of different numbers/stats.

My only other piece of advice is to play, play, play! Experience and speed will come.

+Quote Post
Adam
post May 22 2006, 06:45 AM
Post #20

Prime Runner

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 51

Admin post: James Mc, Emo, SL James, while I have been very tolerant of off-topic stuff as of late, but if you'd confine it to threads that are already pointless, that would be appreciated.

+Quote Post
NightHaunter
post May 22 2006, 03:31 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,408

QUOTE (phasmaphobic)

Practice speeds it up a lot.
Also keeping the combats to minimum size.
But I've found it to be plenty fast enough.
And no need for a maths degree to work it out.
Can't think of anything else thats hasn't already been suggested at the moment.

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post May 22 2006, 04:37 PM
Post #22

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Group: Admin
Member No.: 7,667

During Combat the GM is always busy, the players aren't. Make it clear to the players that when it isn't their action, that is the time for them to be looking up the rules that apply to the action they intend to make. Don't make the GM look up something they can lookup themselves.

If after a very short reasonable time to decide on an action and the player still can't decide what to do. Impose a "Held" action and get back to them after the next person. After seeing a prepared player get more attention, it's amazing what happens the next time around the IP cycle.

The players that weren't paying attention during someone else's turn when things were being described and ask for a replay. Make them use an "Observe in Detail" action.

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post May 22 2006, 04:55 PM
Post #23

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 7,996

Get one of those little hourglasses out of a boardgame like Pictionary and tell your players that that is the amount of time they get for their action(s). If they fail to declare anything IRL, then their character is left gawking and indecisive in game. Also as GM you can do a bit of delegation, let somebody else track initiative order and passes. I havent come up with a way of dealing with the "extra long dice shake yet" but I am going to try Aaron's colorcoded EasyDice trick next time our group gets together to speed up counting.

+Quote Post
Aaron
post May 22 2006, 04:59 PM
Post #24

Mr. Johnson

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 8,314

QUOTE (stevebugge)
Get one of those little hourglasses out of a boardgame like Pictionary and tell your players that that is the amount of time they get for their action(s).

Wow, that's a lot nicer than our GM. We get three seconds.

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post May 22 2006, 05:08 PM
Post #25

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 7,996

I have some beginning players and a guy with diagnosed ADD & Dyslexia so I'm a bit more generous with the time, I want everyone to have fun even if it means taking 2-3 sessions to finish a run most groups could finish in one night.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:45 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.