IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The aesthetics of cyberpunk., Is it really just 80's future shock?
emo samurai
post May 24 2006, 06:43 AM
Post #1

Dragon

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,019

I think Gibson as a whole is about more than just "ZOMG JAPANESE BUSINESS RUSH KEKEKEKEKEKE!!!" For me, that was merely superficial. And I doubt it's simply about getting rich, too. In Count Zero, the woman tracking the boxes says that when you're poor, you get crappy-looking but soft towels while when you're rich, you get fluffy but abrasive ones. And all the instances of wealth involve incredible amounts of artificiality; Kumiko's father regularly converses with ROM constructs of his elders, and Tessier-Ashpool is clocked by two AI's whether they're in cryogenic freezing or out.

I think cyberpunk is about nothing being real, or worthwhile. The "ruined city" on Villa Straylight is an expensive playground for rich children. The woman with whom Turner has a back-to-the-land romance that makes him realize the hollowness of the company prostitutes at the beginning of Count Zero turns out to be a field psychologist on retainer from Hosaka. Anything that appears real to any human sensory faculty is supposed to look that way, forced into shape through sheer human will. All things are for the sake of a sense of monolithic surivalism, the "hive," to borrow Gibson's metaphor, and all the girls, the simsense, and the drugs are just meant to keep you from realizing this.

I think 3Jane's essay from Neuromancer sums this up best.
QUOTE (3jane)
The Villa Straylight is a body grown in upon itself, a Gothic folly. Each space in Straylight is in some way secret, this endless series of chambers linked by passages, by stairwells vaulted like intestines, where the eye is trapped in narrow curves, carried past ornate screens, empty alcoves. The architects of Freeside went to great pains to conceal the fact that the interior of the spindle is arranged with the banal precision of furniture in a hotel room. In Straylight, the hull's inner surface is overgrown with a desperate proliferation of structures, forms flowing, interlocking, rising toward a solid core of microcircuitry, our clan's corporate heart, a cylinder of silicon wormholed with narrow maintenance tunnels, some no wider than a man's hand. The bright crabs burrow there, the drones, alert for micromechanical decay or sabotage.

By the standards of the archipelago, ours is an old family, the convolutions of our home reflecting that age. But reflecting something else as well. The semiotics of the Villa bespeak a turning in, a denial of the bright void beyond the hull. Tessier and Ashpool climbed the well of gravity to discover that they loathed space. They built Freeside to tap the wealth of the new islands, grew rich and eccentric, and began the construction of an extended body in Straylight.

We have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self. The Villa Straylight knows no sky, recorded or otherwise. At the Villa's silicon core is a small room, the only rectilinear chamber in the complex. Here, on a plain pedestal of glass, rests an ornate bust, platinum and cloisonne, studded with lapis and pearl. The bright marbles of its eyes were cut from the synthetic ruby viewport of the ship that brought the first Tessier up the well, and returned for the first Ashpool...

I would say that in these days of Hot Topic, "independent" films, and corporate all-natural foods/clothing, this theme of the nonexistence of autheticity is even more relevent.

Comments?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mfb
post May 24 2006, 06:52 AM
Post #2

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

cyberpunk as a whole is certainly more than just 80s futurekitsch, though because those were its roots, most cyberpunk at least references it. it's an important part of SR cyberpunk, at least, because SR cyberpunk started as a lot of 80s future kitsch and a little bit of real cyberpunk--no fault of the authors, really; in the translation from genre to game, you lose a lot. witness D&D in relation to Tolkein.

good cyberpunk is about the loss of something integral to the self, in exchange for ephermeral gains. the paradox is that the thing which is lost is difficult to name, while the ephemeral gains are concrete and recognizable.

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post May 24 2006, 06:54 AM
Post #3

Dragon

My thoughts exactly.

Maybe it's the fact that when you gain more control over your world, it stops simply existing and becomes something small and manipulable that still has total control over you. It's not just mystique; it's a sense of significance and reality that is the basis of passion, desire, and love. It goes away when you not only slay the dragon but also forget about it even as its legacy weighs down on you. In order to achieve what it wants, the flesh turns to chrome, but as it turns to chrome, it loses its ability to want.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post May 24 2006, 07:11 AM
Post #4

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,957

it was an important part of SR cyberpunk

Fixed it for you.

+Quote Post
mfb
post May 24 2006, 07:38 AM
Post #5

Immortal Elf

it's still quite important. witness Essence. other themes are starting to show, yeah, but the Gibson theme is still very much there.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post May 24 2006, 07:48 AM
Post #6

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,957

Ah, yet again your indiscriminate use of vague pronouns has tripped me up. I thought that "it" referred to the 80s future.

+Quote Post
mfb
post May 24 2006, 07:56 AM
Post #7

Immortal Elf

oops. that was the "it" that i was referring to in the quoted post. meh, it's almost 4am.

80s futurekitsch... well, the Japanacorps still run the economic world, to a large degree. their grip has beein loosened, but they're still the ones doing the gripping. corps are still the main power. you've still got street samurai. so, same deal--other futurekitsches are starting to pop up, but 80s futurekitsch is still a large part of it.

+Quote Post
SL James
post May 24 2006, 08:47 AM
Post #8

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Group: Banned
From: Pissing on pedestrians from my electronic ivory tower.
Member No.: 7,473

QUOTE (mfb)
oops. that was the "it" that i was referring to in the quoted post. meh, it's almost 4am.

80s futurekitsch... well, the Japanacorps still run the economic world, to a large degree. their grip has beein loosened, but they're still the ones doing the gripping. corps are still the main power. you've still got street samurai. so, same deal--other futurekitsches are starting to pop up, but 80s futurekitsch is still a large part of it.

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post May 24 2006, 02:15 PM
Post #9

Dragon

I remember that one, but the only thing that was covered was why Shadowrun didn't look like the 80's anymore, not what the essence of cyberpunk was.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 02:13 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.