IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Translated SR Fan Film NOW AVAILABLE from #S-Run!
SuperFly
post May 25 2006, 11:55 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,132

'Last Team Standing', a competitor title in the 2005 Shadowrun Kurtzfilm Contest, has been completely subtitled in English by yours truly -- courtesy of the #S-Run Shadowrun Community! It is the first in a series of translated Shadowrun fan films from Germany, the goal being to give English-speaking audiences the chance to enjoy these thoroughly enjoyable films.

Both the trailer and the film itself are available. To download and enjoy this feature, all you have to do is visit the #S-Run Shadowrun Community Homepagea nd follow the appropriate links.

While you're at it, feel free to browse the site and enjoy all the great Shadowrun content including game game logs, fully-documented campaigns & world info, resources, music, other fan-made movies, and much more! Everyone is also encouraged to visit #S-Run and #Shadowrun on the IRC Undernet network either with your own client, or our handy web-based Javachat available right on the website.

We're always looking for more Shadowrun players, GM's, and fans to join our ranks -- so don't be ashamed to give us a look. We're an established and tolerant decade-old community of over 40+ members and are growing more each day. We also actively play the game on a regular basis, and welcome any and all patrons no matter what their disposition.

Check us out, I promise you won't be dissapointed.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post May 25 2006, 11:57 PM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 98

Woo... gonna check this one out.

+Quote Post
ChuckRozool
post May 26 2006, 03:49 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,706

me must be dumb...
no sound and i can't for the life of me get MPEG Layer III codec to work
at least i can read it

+Quote Post
Rajaat99
post May 26 2006, 04:44 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,166

It's fun to watch! Obviously, don't expect anything amazing.
I love the ending.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post May 26 2006, 07:35 AM
Post #5

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

Surprisingly decent.

Admittedly, the writing's nothing special (Shadowrun slang fucking sucks in German; it transcends language barriers), the acting's not great, and the directing's only ok— but that is all well above average for zero budget fan films. Hell, the editing's alright and the cinematography is actually pretty good at times (a couple of shots are actually really good for an indie short).

Better editing and better directing could have hidden the low budget, though. Doing the helo shot at night (as opposed to day, as in the trailer) is a good example of making the best of precious little, but the gunfight at the end is a complete mess that just looks like cosplayers running around a building with no idea of what to do. Doesn't help that the costume design is pretty bad. They even have the requisite notverytoughguy in ridiculous armor and a ponytail.

A few haircuts, better lighting, and $100 at a thrift shop could have yeilded much better results. Not much of an attempt is made to hide the airsoftiness of the guns, either, which is a shame, considering that with more aggressive cinematography, editing, and direction, that firefight could actually have been really good. Still, I had fun, and it does have a lot of charm.

+Quote Post
SuperFly
post May 26 2006, 07:59 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

You will need Divx to play it properly.

Also, you need to follow the instructions in the attached text file (it is called READ_ME_FIRST.txt for a reason) to get the subtitles to work. Remember to activate the subtitles in Windows Media Player as well.

I am currently trying to get the subtitles hard-coded into the video so that everyone can enjoy the mvoie without having to hassle with anything but the newest Divx codec. This should be ready in the next few days.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post May 26 2006, 08:17 AM
Post #7

Runner

QUOTE (SuperFly)
I am currently trying to get the subtitles hard-coded into the video so that everyone can enjoy the mvoie without having to hassle with anything but the newest Divx codec. This should be ready in the next few days.

I'd appreciate some hard burned English subs. Not everyone I want to pass this on to is able to deal with external subs.

+Quote Post
Butterblume
post May 26 2006, 09:54 AM
Post #8

Running Target

Member No.: 8,081

Good project :smokin:

Just a correction: Last Team Standing is from the 2004/5 Kurzfilm Contest, so we refer to it as the 2004 contest. So as not to confuse it with the real 2005 Contest, which of course is the 2005/6 Contest :spin:. I think.

I haven't seen all the movies of the 2004 contest (some were just to painfull), but the ones from last year (the real 2005 Contest :D) are all amazing. In one way or the other. The acting might be bad in one, the other is full af cliche, still another has not-so-good sound etc.
Just writing this, I think I should see them all again;).

+Quote Post
SL James
post May 26 2006, 10:22 AM
Post #9

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Group: Banned
From: Pissing on pedestrians from my electronic ivory tower.
Member No.: 7,473

Didn't watch it with subs (For various reasons). The mingun was a nice touch, but also cheesy as hell (there's no way to get around it. It's a effing minigun). And someone will have to explain the plush cat to me outside of "It's a plush cat the J liked" in the event there's anything more (not that there's anything wrong with that, but I am not slightly intrigued).

+Quote Post
SuperFly
post May 26 2006, 02:16 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

It was supposed to represent a real cat.

Now, why they couldn't just get a real cat, I have no idea.

+Quote Post
PH3NOmenon
post May 26 2006, 05:13 PM
Post #11

Target

Member No.: 8,143

Now, why they couldn't just get a real cat, I have no idea.

"Ma'am, could we borrow your cat for a fanbased movie featuring violence, blood, huge guns and explosions?"

+Quote Post
creatorlars
post May 26 2006, 07:01 PM
Post #12

Target

Member No.: 8,419

"Ma'am, could we borrow your cat for a fanbased movie featuring violence, blood, huge guns and explosions?"

Nein! Sie nicht konnen!

I haven't seen all the movies of the 2004 contest (some were just to painfull), but the ones from last year (the real 2005 Contest ) are all amazing. In one way or the other. The acting might be bad in one, the other is full af cliche, still another has not-so-good sound etc.
Just writing this, I think I should see them all again;).

Link(s) to download sites?

+Quote Post
Butterblume
post May 26 2006, 07:23 PM
Post #13

Running Target

Member No.: 8,081

German Fanpro Site, Movie section

There are links to both 2004 and 2005 contestants. I don't know if they are all still active, and of course the movies are all in german.

I recommend the eMule Versions (links also on that site), because the quality should be much better.

+Quote Post
SuperFly
post May 26 2006, 10:48 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

I do need the best quality copies of Tor3 and Todesvision I can get (for the future subtitle projects).

Both versions i have are quite small and shifty when compared to LTS quality. EMule wouldn't work for me, so could anyone let em know if they have better versions?

+Quote Post
BookWyrm
post May 26 2006, 11:20 PM
Post #15

Running Target

Member No.: 2,607

I'm going to save the movie file, anti-viral scan it, then unzip it later. After watching the trailer for it, I'm interested.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post May 26 2006, 11:29 PM
Post #16

Runner

Why... would you scan a movie for viruses?

Superfly: you should be able to get eMule to work on at least a lowid, even if your firewall doesn't allow the necessary ports open.

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post May 26 2006, 11:42 PM
Post #17

Runner

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (Arethusa)
Why... would you scan a movie for viruses?

In case it's infected with virii?

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post May 26 2006, 11:47 PM
Post #18

Runner

Which is possible now?

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post May 27 2006, 12:00 AM
Post #19

Beetle Eater

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 2,826

Yep.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post May 27 2006, 12:24 AM
Post #20

Runner

That's because .wmv is not true video.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post May 27 2006, 12:34 AM
Post #21

Beetle Eater

Yep, but "true" formats are more and more rare. They found and exploit in fraggin' .doc files!

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post May 27 2006, 12:41 AM
Post #22

Runner

.avi? .mpg? These are not rare.

Also, notably, all the file formats with exploits are almost invariably Microsoft formats.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post May 27 2006, 12:44 AM
Post #23

Beetle Eater

There is an exploit in avi, as well, though I think mpeg is still clean. [e] Mpeg has an apparent exploit, too. The reason MS has the most exploits is in part because they are the most common (with unneeded levels of functionality).

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post May 27 2006, 12:52 AM
Post #24

Runner

The mpg exploit is basically just another Microsoft Unnecessary Extra Shit exploit. Admittedly wasn't aware of the avi exploit, though it doesn't seem like it was ever that big.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post May 27 2006, 01:00 AM
Post #25

Beetle Eater

Yeah, both were mostly contained and more of a player problem. A lot of the issues with video and audio viruses will be from digital rights management. It's practically a Trojan in functionality...

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:28 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.