Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What makes Cyberpunk, Cyberpunk?, Just a question
Willowhugger
post May 31 2006, 08:35 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,619

Basically a question on what makes the mood and breaks it. Some common pitfalls that takes the story out of the territory are appreciated.

Here's my general thoughts on this area....

* The usual Techno-shock: I think it goes without saying the very nature of cyberpunk is that technology has not improved life in the world but has done either made it worse or just created new problems.

* The Rich and Poor Divide: Always important to keep in the sense of the planet.

* Screwed up Heroes: Case, Molly, Deckard, and the like all are suffering greatly in their own particular way. When you remove the dysfunctionality from the setting you lose something.

like bruce wayne, no one will ever be entirely happy.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Witness
post May 31 2006, 09:02 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,319

Overcrowding and pollution are pretty integral to most cyberpunk, I would say.

+Quote Post
Lindt
post May 31 2006, 01:42 PM
Post #3

Man In The Machine

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 1,105

I think you did a pretty good job covering the bases.

The Haves, and the Have nots.
Technology making that gap bigger
Anti-Heros, or at least pretty screwed up heros.

+Quote Post
Toptomcat
post May 31 2006, 02:29 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,112

In its more extreme forms, nilhilism: the players can accomplish absolutely nothing of note, and always turn out to have been either pawns of some far greater power or entirely irrelevant. All victories are temporary or Phyrric.
While congruent with the genre, this can make for some very frusterating games...

+Quote Post
Willowhugger
post May 31 2006, 03:48 PM
Post #5

Target

QUOTE (Toptomcat)
In its more extreme forms, nilhilism: the players can accomplish absolutely nothing of note, and always turn out to have been either pawns of some far greater power or entirely irrelevant. All victories are temporary or Phyrric.
While congruent with the genre, this can make for some very frusterating games...

I think on a related note is actually It's okay to be out for yourself. In a vaguely Casablanca way, the problems of one person doesn't make a difference for good or evil in the world. Thus, players have a obligation only to themselves and their own personal happiness. To that end they can seek out money, fame, and love without guilt because whatever they do to achieve it really doesn't have an impact on the world's good or evil.

+Quote Post
ronin3338
post May 31 2006, 08:02 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,307

The "punk" is the dystopian element. Large organizations that wield massive power and people leading small, meaningless lives, constantly faced with their own lack of ability to make any substantial changes.

The "cyber" part is the tech element.

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post May 31 2006, 11:25 PM
Post #7

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,383

I think it just needs 80s pastiche.

+Quote Post
Voran
post May 31 2006, 11:50 PM
Post #8

Running Target

Member No.: 6,099

I like looking at the way the art used to show the SR world has evolved over the versions. It's less "mohawks and leather + cyber" (also less Kevlar-bikini for the ladies) and more urban pragmatic with a bit of flair tossed in.

When I think punk (cyber or otherwise) I think discordant, almost desperate attempt to buck authority and carve out your own niche, with the sad side effect of while you feel you're an individual, if you look closely enough, you'll notice there are a million other people trying to do the same thing. In a way I think the desperation and (angst?) about it comes from realising that in some way, by trying to be anti-establishment (fight the man!) humans end up forming groups within groups that kinda perpetuate that 'problem' :) So in Shadowrun, the effort to gather a trustworthy group to fight the power and do runs against the man while spending his cash, in the high end game you kinda end up with chars that if they live long enough, become establishments in themselves :)

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Jun 1 2006, 07:53 AM
Post #9

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ May 31 2006, 07:25 PM)

I'm not sure if you're joking or not, but if you aren't, what does 80s pastiche have to do with cyberpunk? The 80s style of cyberpunk was dead and irrelevant 16 years ago. This has not stopped new and far more intelligent cyberpunk from being written. Hell, even Metal Gear Solid 4 is looking pretty cuberpunk.

Cyberpunk is not about 80s pastiche. It's not even about 80s classism or 80s materialism or 80s excess. It isn't even about modern classism, materialism, or excess, and isn't still about future classism, materialism or excess.

Cyberpunk is fundamentally about what is wrong with us. It is from this that all exploration of classicism, consumption, rapacious economics, explotative socities, nihilism, and dehumanization. Cyberpunk is about something being wrong with us and the future that will lead us to.

+Quote Post
SL James
post Jun 1 2006, 10:47 AM
Post #10

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Group: Banned
From: Pissing on pedestrians from my electronic ivory tower.
Member No.: 7,473

*sighs*

The clothing means almost nothing. Get off it already.

+Quote Post
Platinum
post Jun 1 2006, 02:08 PM
Post #11

Running Target

Member No.: 1,115

Earth, Future, cyber-tech, corp extraterritorality, a global matrix and gangers.

+Quote Post
Willowhugger
post Jun 6 2006, 02:11 PM
Post #12

Target

From a conversation I just had...

Cyberpunk is actually easy to define. People just have seemingly never bothered to realize that it's Noir combined with Science Fiction. The 80s are symbolic of the period its true but so are the 1920s and Detective Fiction. Both true and not necessarily absolute.

Yes, there's nothing wrong with REAL cyberpunk being set in a world where the PCs are essentially powerless. The Corporations replace Mob Bosses and corrupt Police Forces as systemic of the Noir feel to things. The whole point of Noir is being trapped in a world that isn't yours to control. Like Sin City, it's not "Sin City" if you don't have the Roarke Family controlling everything that the mob doesn't control.

Molly and Case are Noir characters because at heart they're the femme fatale and the archetypical Alcoholic/Net Addict Burnout.

Shadowrun does very well as emanating the genre of Noir that is part and parcel for the setting. The setting is composed of whores, cigarette smoke, junkies (look at the drug addiction rules), and burnouts. This is something that is made abundantly clear as an assumption of playstyle almost as much as Vampires are going to be Anarch Sympathetic jerkwads in V:TM's early books.

There's A LOT to mine here. I think Shadowrun hasn't really expanded beyond the possibilities of Noir though and occasionally forgets it Noir.

+Quote Post
Guest_Richard Villers_*
post Jun 6 2006, 03:23 PM
Post #13

Guests

Decloaking just to say I don't agree. Yes that Noir + Science Fiction is a good description of the base of Cyberpunk. But for me Cyberpunk is a dark vision of the near future seen from America in in the 1980's. Shadowrun however was Cyberpunk mixed with High Fantasy and has over time become a more general application of the literary theme that Cyberpunk is based on.

I posted about this 2 weeks ago.

But maybe that is a personal thing for me. I guess you could still call it Cyberpunk for a lack of a better name. Perhaps in time a new catchy label that encapulates the core of the fears will be struck and stick. Like Nanopunk?

I will recloak now and let you have at my idea. Please be gentle.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Jun 6 2006, 05:14 PM
Post #14

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

QUOTE (Arethusa)
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ May 31 2006, 07:25 PM)

Hell, even Metal Gear Solid 4 is looking pretty cuberpunk.

I must point out that Solid Snake has a mullet and is an unapologetic rip-off of Snake Pliskin.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Jun 6 2006, 11:35 PM
Post #15

Runner

He may have a mullet, though the MGS3 mullet wasn't really that out of place and the MGS4 mullet is practically a modern fashion mullet, at this point. I do not see the Snake Pliskin ripoff. There are references, and maybe it was that simple in the first two Metal Gear games. It's definitely not any more.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Jun 6 2006, 11:51 PM
Post #16

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

hmm, im not dead yet and allready mullets are coming back in fashion?

somebody stop this rollercoaster, i want of!

+Quote Post
bclements
post Jun 7 2006, 12:40 AM
Post #17

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,021

QUOTE (Arethusa)
MGS4 mullet is practically a modern fashion mullet

Those words, they're english, but I don't understand them.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Jun 7 2006, 01:32 AM
Post #18

Runner

This is an example of a girl with a fashion mullet.

Snake's is shorter, obviously, but in MGS4, his hair length actually looks more or less uniform, which is borderline out of mullet territory. MGS2 was the only game with a true retro mullet, and even that is kind of debatable.

+Quote Post
bclements
post Jun 7 2006, 01:43 AM
Post #19

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,021

It's MGS. Damn near everything is debatable.

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Jun 7 2006, 02:55 AM
Post #20

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

Noir makes a nice film or literary genre, but shouldn't be used in a game for more than atmosphere. Otherwise, you wind up railroading your players. Also, keep in mind that a lot of cyberpunk novels do have the characters changing, or even saving, the world.

+Quote Post
Platinum
post Jun 7 2006, 03:33 AM
Post #21

Running Target

Member No.: 1,115

If you want to see fashionable mullets... go here. http://www.mulletsgalore.com/

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Jun 7 2006, 12:40 PM
Post #22

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

Well, a big part of cyberpunk is traditional punk ideology, specificly anti-authorilism and individualism. For the most part, cyberpunk heroes are individualists in conformist socities.

As for MGS, Hideo Kojima's work is influenced by 80s cyberpunk movies. The most obvious example is Snatcher which is blatently inspired by Bladerunner and Terminator.
The cyberpunk inspiration wasn't very obvious in the original Metal Gear games due to the limitations of the technology but they are apparent in the Metal Gear Solid series.

+Quote Post
SL James
post Jun 7 2006, 02:53 PM
Post #23

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Well, a big part of cyberpunk is traditional punk ideology, specificly anti-authorilism and individualism. For the most part, cyberpunk heroes are individualists in conformist socities.

Gee, you think that has anything to do with the old books written in the context of Neo-Anarchist "products"?

+Quote Post
Liminaut
post Jun 8 2006, 06:33 AM
Post #24

Target

Member No.: 8,243

To me, cyberpunk is about a basic question: How do I stay human in a dehumanizing world?

+Quote Post
SL James
post Jun 8 2006, 11:11 AM
Post #25

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Isn't that a contemporaty philosophical and theological question and, frankly, area of study?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:31 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.