Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Jun 1 2006, 11:47 PM
Post #3

panda!

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,242

i still wonder why they go all the way to the brain rather then patch into where the hand is supposed to be. i would think there would be much less noise to filter out for the electronics that way.

allso, there is the issue of feedback. when happens when someone wants to use his new hand to pick up say a baby or a raw egg? in either case the line between crushing damage and a firm grip is slim at best. so how does the user tell? thats realy the next stage, getting useful sensory data back to the brain.

hmm, here is a interesting bit:
One day, Kamitani believes, the robot hand could be made to respond faster than a user's real one. "The next step for me is to decode faster, even before the person moves their hand, by reading the brain activity related to intention," he told New Scientist.

wired reflexes anyone?

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Jun 2 2006, 01:03 PM
Post #4

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,760

QUOTE (hobgoblin)
allso, there is the issue of feedback. when happens when someone wants to use his new hand to pick up say a baby or a raw egg? in either case the line between crushing damage and a firm grip is slim at best. so how does the user tell? thats realy the next stage, getting useful sensory data back to the brain.

Simple. If the egg (or baby) is crushed, you're squeezing too hard.

What is it with you people and always looking for the most complex solution?

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Jun 2 2006, 01:46 PM
Post #5

panda!

at that point its to late.

sometimes i dont want egg all over my (artificial) hand, or a crying baby that need medical attention...

ok, so you could be joking. but if so, could you please put some smileys into the text? thats what they are there for, to try and indicate the tone of the posting...

+Quote Post
Lindt
post Jun 2 2006, 02:11 PM
Post #6

Man In The Machine

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 1,105

So whens that Violinist getting one?

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Jun 2 2006, 03:20 PM
Post #7

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

I'm waiting for dermal armor. I;m surprised it isn't commercially available yet, actually. Its just like breast implants only made out of kevlar and ceramics. It should be easy.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Jun 2 2006, 05:45 PM
Post #8

panda!

only on a whole diffrent scale.

with breast implants they need to cut 2 holes in you and thats it. how many holes will it take to get all the armor in place i wonder.

and i dont think its that much ceramics, or atleast not in large surfaces. the skin is flexible for a reason ;)

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Jun 2 2006, 09:27 PM
Post #9

Runner

Member No.: 98

You can get silicone implants for men, too. They're much harder, as they're intended to be cosmetic augmentation in places that men would like to (but haven't or cannot) develop defined muscles. They're usually intended to be placed on the torso. I could see taking these implants and putting kevlar weave inside of them, though I'm not sure how well it'd work...

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Jun 2 2006, 09:56 PM
Post #10

panda!

heh. now that i think about it, it would mostly be the recovery time needed that would put most people of getting it done. even blue planet (a fairly hard science game in my view) had dermal armor in it.

still, it was mostly reserved for the GEO shock troops, basicly their military special forces. it allso left the skin appearing very plastic like so i guess it was more of a permanent carapace...

their other two options was more appealing. one was a vest like covering over the torso, but under the skin. it didnt protect much, but atleast it protected more then what mother nature provided.

the other option was a set of hard surfaces that could be of both defensive and offensive nature. the defensive style was a set of braciers hidden under the skin so that you could block a blade or similar sharp object with your arm and only risk a skin cut. the offensive variant hardend your fists, knees, elbows and maybe even your feet so that it was like using brass knuckles when fighting.

still, there is the issue of cutting open most of your skin to get it all into place. and then it all needs to heal again. could take some time, that.

hmm, blue planet have their stuff listed with a 3 week healing time. and something tells me thats taking into account an advanced level of medical treatment, as they have gills listed with a 5 week healing time...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 09:05 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.