IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Invisibility House Rules, Who goes there?
booklord
post Jun 2 2006, 08:39 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,583

(I was going to put this under the Invisible Flashlights topic but I'm interested in actual house rules GMs have come up with for invisibility. I've had some players who LOVE their physical invisibility spells and I had to step in to clarify the subject for my own sanity. )

Booklord's Invisibility House rules
-----------------------------------------

House Rule #1
--------------------------
Physical Invisibility DOES NOT bend light.
Instead Invisibility does two things.

1) It dissapates light being reflected off of or generated ( such as thermographic light generated by body heat ) by the invisible subject. The light still hits the target. It is the reflection of the light that is dissapated.

2) It generates the physical illusion of the light being projected from the exact opposite point of the body where the light hits the target.

Example: Planning a daring raid a group of shadowrunners, realize that though they can sneak into the facility undetected once they'll once steal the loot they'll set off an alert and they'll have to run for through the outer perimeter past two laser turrets which will be operating independently from the net. As part of their plan they cast a physical invisibility spell onto a sheet of high density metal and place that sheet in front of the laser turret. The run goes as planned and as the runners race out of the facility to the waiting getaway vehicle, the turret opens fire. But the turret's laser strike the invisible sheets of metal instead. Then the improved invisibility spell creates the physical illusion of the laser light striking the characters. The characters are completely unharmed by this laser light being generated by the invisibility spell as the real laser blasts are striking the sheet metal and leaving behind (sight unseen) some rather nasty scorch marks.

This houserule was brought to you by players who really thought I'd let them walk through a high-security laser grid ( the damaging kind ) simply because they were invisible.

Under this rule an invisible flashlight would not generate light unless the intensity of the light exceeded the strength of the invisibility spell. Likewise thermographic light generated by intense heat might also penetrate the invisibility spell. ( Careful with that blowtorch buddy! ) Any light such as a laser capable of doing damage would automatically pierce the invisibity spell.

House Rule #2
----------------------------
Further House rule: As physical Invisibility affects the light hitting the character and being generated by the character it cannot be resisted by other characters. ( Physical Invisibility affects the invisible guy. Mana Invisibility affects everyone else ) At best someone viewing an invisible character can try to detect the difference between the physical illusion light and real light and get a rough idea of where the invisible person is. Technology capable of analyzing light would also be helpful in this regard and may be capable of detecting a physically invisible character. A weak physical invisibility spell would make you like the Predator. Yeah you're invisible but anyone looking closely will be able to make out that someone is there. A strong invisiblity spell would make you nearly undetectable. A magician if he is capable of detecting where an invisible person is can target an invisible character with a spell. ( Though some target modifiers would still apply ) It should be noted that the less light there is the less work the invisibilty spell has to do and the more effective it becomes. So attempts to detect a physcially invisible character would be affected by visibility modifiers.

Note: Invisibility technology would work in a similar fashion with an invisibility suit absorbing light and then projecting the exact same amount and type of light out the opposite side of the suit. Can you imagine how hideously expensive that would be with today's technology? But it is something that may be possible using Shadowrun's nanotechnology to construct the millions of micro light analyzers, absorbers and transmitters necessary to similulate invisibility. Nanotech is good when it comes to freakishly mind-boggling repetitive tasks.

Further Note: I haven't decided what would happen if a magician tried to target a character standing on the other side of an invisible wall being that he's not actually seeing the character but instead seeing the physical illusion of the character generated by the invisible wall. Thankfully its never come up. But I'm thinking the answer would be no. The Magician can't actually see the individual so he can't target them. It'd be like the magician was trying to target a life-like hologram of the target. It wouldn't work though the magician may not be immediately aware to why.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ornot
post Jun 3 2006, 10:15 PM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 8,638

TBH I'd be inclined to just rule that the photons pass right through the mage (or whatever has been targeted by the spell). How? It's magic!

The force of the spell would, in this situation, govern the transparency of the target.

How this would work with regards to an invisible item being a light source, I'm not entirely sure, although probably the light energy being generated by the torch is unaffected. Hence an invisible paraffin lamp would be visible as a floating flame, the handle, case and fuel reservoir being invisible. The hand torch mentioned would be invisible except for anything caught in the beam, which would see the light from the bulb.

It's dirty, and it doesn't make physical sense, but so what?

+Quote Post
booklord
post Jun 4 2006, 04:41 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

It's dirty, and it doesn't make physical sense, but so what?

The biggest reason for creating some house rules for invisibility is to handle players who try to pull off things invisibility wasn't really intended for or wander into the murky area of if I did this how would this affect my invisibility?

Examples
---------------------------------
1) Players who seem to think that invisibility should provide immunity to light based attacks such as lasers or flash grenades.

2) Players who think that an improved invisibility spell should be come completely inaffective to anyone who manages to pass a test to see the illusion as opposed to simply recognizing that an invisible person is there.

3) Players who think that invisibility will think that invisibility is complete immunity to any actions that would produce light or heat to such a degree that it would under normal circumstances act as a beacon to the character's location.

4) And to the most recent discussion.... How does a invisible flahslight work? ( or doesn't work? )

My answers to the examples
------------------------------------------------
1) No lasers and flash grenades affect the character as normal.

2) No physical illusions are not dispelled when someone succeeds a roll against them. The individual simply can see the illusion as fake. It doesn't stop them from continuing to see the illusion.

3) No, players can perform actions which their invisibility spells can't cover up. Of course higher force invisibility spells are more capable of covering up more than lower ones.

4) No the invisible flashlight does not work as the spell does not distinguish between light its supposed to block such as light reflecting off the character or thermographic light from body heat and light from the flashlight.

+Quote Post
Zen Shooter01
post Jun 4 2006, 04:59 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,042

It seems to me that if Invisibility bent light in such a way as to make the subject immune to laser damage and the effects of flash grenades, it would also make the subject blind. The sense of sight is a result of light hitting the various parts of the eye.

My advice is to say that Invisibility does what it says it does, no more, no less. If anyway asks why, wave yours hands over your head and yell, "It's magic!"

If anybody asks how, use the same procedure as for why.

+Quote Post
Dissonance
post Jun 4 2006, 05:13 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,992

I'm just toying with the idea of making Invis/ImpInvis function like ruth cloaking, with successes adding extra whatevers until you get to the same threshold. I think it's +4, now.

+Quote Post
Edward
post Jun 4 2006, 05:13 AM
Post #6

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,587

I like the first house rule you used.

I like this rule because it retains all the canon mechanics (the resistance roll) only deviating in terms of fluff and unspecified situations

The on thing you didn’t clarify was the situation of illumination threw an invisible object (invisible door between a lit room and a dark room, invisible cover on a torch)

Edward

+Quote Post
booklord
post Jun 4 2006, 06:22 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

I like the first house rule you used.

I like this rule because it retains all the canon mechanics (the resistance roll) only deviating in terms of fluff and unspecified situations

The on thing you didn’t clarify was the situation of illumination threw an invisible object (invisible door between a lit room and a dark room, invisible cover on a torch)

The reason for that is that while my players do tend to use invisibility on themselves they have never really gotten into using it on other objects.

In this case the light from the lit room would hit the door. The light reflecting off the door and back into the lit room would be negated. Meanwhile on the dark room side of the door the invisibility spell would generate light from the door in as if the rays of light had traveled through the door unimpeded. Thus light generated by the invisibility spell would illuminate the dark room and the folks from both rooms would be able to "see" into the other room. ( Though what they would really be seeing is replicated light from the invisibility spell not the actual original light from the room itself )

For an invisible cover for a visible torch it would appear to the casual observer that the torch was there but not the cover. The light from the torch would hit the inside of the invisible cover and be replicated on the outside of the cover. It does enter into the thorny issue of whether anything the invisible person picks up also becomes invisible. I've generally said yes if you completely surround the object in invisible material such as stuffing some datachips in your pocket. ( or if the invisible person eats something... noone wants to see that ) but if its just something he picks up and holds in his hand then no. Of course anything dropped by the invisible character immediately becomes visible. ( One invisibility spell cannot suddenly become two invisibility spells. ) The main exception would be for the caster himself. The caster can adjust the physical invisibility to include small objects picks up by the invisible person in a similar way that the caster of a physical illusion can command an illusion to do his bidding. Of course the caster has to be able to see the small object he is extending the invisibility over.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 10:32 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.