IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Aztech Military Issue weapons + State of Caribbean, Two seemingly unrelated questions.
Brahm
post Jun 5 2006, 04:45 PM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,006

Just some thougts on what sidearm would normally be issued to an Aztech pilot. Keep in mind that he was transporting an Aztech executive. I was thinking maybe machine pistol, or would it just a semi-auto pistol of some sort? Also what is Aztech's in-house brand? I lost track of which manufacturing brand(s) they own or deal with enmass.

On a somewhat related topic, but only because we hijacked a VTOL out of the Yucatan and fled to Cuba, what is the lastest word on the Caribbean League. Is the most recent meat still Cyberpirates plus the Threats 2 blurb about Miami falling into disarray because of Dankwalther trashing Gunderson corp? Please keep in mind the the we are running in the year 2069-70. EDIT Aztech should still not have much of a corp presence, yes?

I guess what I'm really asking is if the Sixth World Wiki References are current and complete? Thanks.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Crusher Bob
post Jun 5 2006, 04:53 PM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 4,253

If you are asking about what a combat piloy might have tucked away in his flight suit you can try this. Add a pistol (and maybe one extra magazine). But really a pilot is not likely to get much use out of his sidearm.

+Quote Post
Brahm
post Jun 5 2006, 05:08 PM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Thanks for the link, interesting read.

I would expect a pilot to only get use out of a firearm if things went very wrong. But I know historically at least some military pilots have pistols as standard issue in the event they find themselves in conflict outside their aircraft, or they have to deal with unruly passengers. :cyber:

With what seems to be somewhat of a current trend to market machine pistols for other military personel that historically were carrying pistols I was wondering if pilots might eventually fall into that as well. At least on an aircraft that functions in much the same rolls as a helicopter where you have a tendacy to be flying toward the meyham.

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Jun 5 2006, 05:14 PM
Post #4

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 7,996

One of the Corp Books mentioned that the Aztech Personnell who were not part of one of the elite units tended to be undertrained and overequipped, which in stat terms translated in to skills & perofessional rating 1 less than normal but with much heavier weapons. The example given suggested that where most facility guards would have Heavy Pistols the Azzies would be loaded with SMG's and Shotguns. In this case where a normal pilot would probably carry a survival kit like the one linked above and a Light Pistol of some type and azzie would most likely have a little less of the survival equipment and a short barreled shotgun or machine pistol.

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Jun 5 2006, 07:11 PM
Post #5

Runner

Member No.: 98

Black Hawk Down mentions at one point that the weapon issued to the helicopter pilots in case of a crash was an MP-5K. While a fighter pilot would need something that could be tucked into his flight suit (so that when he ejects the weapon remains with him), vehicles like helicopters (and small corporate jets, for that matter) don't have ejection seats. If the pilot survives the crash, getting to a weapon stored right next to him will likely not be an issue, and they'd much rather have a submachinegun than a pistol in a firefight.

The book also mentions that the crew chiefs on the helicopters have M-16s, which other soldiers use the magazines for at a later point. It seems likely, however, that these are weapons carried by the chiefs, rather than weapons stored on the helicopter for their use (as the helicopters have much heavier door guns).

In short, a SMG would be my suggested weapon for the pilot, unless he was flying a military vehicle of some sort, in which case I'd give him one of the smaller heavy pistols (Browning Ultra-Power comes to mind). It's also a possibility (with the advent of weapons like the MP-7) that issuing a machine pistol with APDS ammunition would be a practice.

+Quote Post
Brahm
post Jun 5 2006, 10:09 PM
Post #6

Shooting Target

The corporation is the governement. The pilot is effectively military, he's flying an armed transport plane in a war zone (Yucatan).

After all this helpful feedback and some thought I think I'm going to suggest to the GM that he be carrying an FN P90L, laser sight instead of Smartlink, loaded out with SS191 and likely with whatever is the equivalent of the USG IR x1 night scope mounted. One spare clip, with it's 50 rnd capacity, should be about right.

That obviously isn't a standard stated SR weapon. They don't really have any of the PDW in the currently published books. I think to express it in SR4 stats I'm going to suggest that given the normal 4P/0AP for a Machine Pistol, 5P/0AP for an SMG, and 5P/-1AP for Heavy Pistols (except the Ruger Warhawk at 6P/-2AP) that it get an 4P/-2AP rating because it, like the HK MP-7, is designed to penetrate IIIA body armor but generally doesn't put bigass holes is people. I think I'll try convince him as well to give it a built-in 1 or 2 recoil comp as well, but we'll see.

Normally APDS, which are currently the only real AP in SR4 right now, gives you an extra -4AP. But I think that is just over the top. Plus this in total keeps the penetrating ability down just under that of a standard AR, which at 6P/-1AP overcomes 1 point higher armor.

An MP-7 would be pretty much the same thing, but with a extendable stock. But I'm just guessing that the GM won't buy into Aztech springing for that gear. It is funny that you mention the MP-7, because I actually started looking at it and the FN P90 before you posted. So I feel pretty good about being on the right track.

+Quote Post
Vaevictis
post Jun 5 2006, 11:04 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,441

I would submit that given that the pilot was transporting an executive, you should not be suprised if there is serious ordnance on the plane, if there is any chance that they were anticipating trouble.

As far as the GM not buying that Aztech would spring for an MP-7, keep in mind that the value of the cargo in this case (a freaking executive) is definately worth a high end submachine gun. In fact, I'd be very suprised if that was the extent of it. I mean, think about it: aside from just training and ability, what kind of secret information on Aztech projects does an executive have rattling around in his brain? ... and a few thousand nuyen in weapons is too much to protect that?

Personally, I would expect that the pilot would be carrying a pistol of some kind on his or her person, probably a Steyer TMP equivalent, with an Beretta Model 70 equivalent readily at hand (for post-crash E&E scenarios, I imagine the sound supressor would be handy).

Assuming that it's still an option to do so, I would also expect that the executive would also actually have a body guard present, probably carrying a concealed pistol (Ares Predator) and a melee weapon of some kind (spurs?), but he would be much more capable skill-wise in the use of firearms than the pilot would be; and if there was no bodyguard present, that would imply to me that the executive was packing himself.

(or is it that the situation is that you've 'jacked the plane and are frantically looking around for some armament for your characters to use? :) )

+Quote Post
Eddie Furious
post Jun 5 2006, 11:24 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,519

Hey all, I'm the GM that Brahm is speaking of.

You know Brahm, if you really wanted to know, you could have just asked!

Okay, as far as the P-90/MP-7 debate, both use next generation ammunition, which, while it penetrates armour quite nicely, basically makes an "owie" compared to 5.56N and the newer rounds like 6.5 Grendel and 6.8SPC (the 6.5 Grendel is basically the accepted assault round in the SR universe I run).

The Aztec flight pool is where they draw their pilots from, especially in a contested zone where corporate aircraft will get singled out pretty quickly. So he was basically on board a Combi- version of a military VTOL. The pilot is rather well trained and well cybered with betaware. He was issued a B&T MP-9 SMG smartgun loaded with AP and carrying a spare mag. He is linked up.

However regarding the APDS thing, I am thinking about talking about that next session. I have some ideas I want to bounce off of you guys.

+Quote Post
Demonseed Elite
post Jun 5 2006, 11:28 PM
Post #9

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 67

QUOTE (Brahm)
On a somewhat related topic, but only because we hijacked a VTOL out of the Yucatan and fled to Cuba, what is the lastest word on the Caribbean League. Is the most recent meat still Cyberpirates plus the Threats 2 blurb about Miami falling into disarray because of Dankwalther trashing Gunderson corp? Please keep in mind the the we are running in the year 2069-70. EDIT Aztech should still not have much of a corp presence, yes?

That is the most recent released information. Shadows of Latin America has a whole chapter on the Carib League (I wrote it), but that's still in limbo. >_<

I can tell you a bit about the Aztech corporate presence in the Carib League, though. In most of the Caribbean League, Aztechnology's presence is fairly subdued and hidden behind shell companies. However, they are a huge presence in Borinquen, aka Puerto Rico. Borinquen is the global center of Aztechnology's mycoprotein farming for all its wonderful artificial fungifoods.

+Quote Post
Eddie Furious
post Jun 5 2006, 11:32 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

QUOTE (Vaevictis)
I would submit that given that the pilot was transporting an executive, you should not be suprised if there is serious ordnance on the plane, if there is any chance that they were anticipating trouble.

As far as the GM not buying that Aztech would spring for an MP-7, keep in mind that the value of the cargo in this case (a freaking executive) is definately worth a high end submachine gun. In fact, I'd be very suprised if that was the extent of it. I mean, think about it: aside from just training and ability, what kind of secret information on Aztech projects does an executive have rattling around in his brain? ... and a few thousand nuyen in weapons is too much to protect that?

Personally, I would expect that the pilot would be carrying a pistol of some kind on his or her person, probably a Steyer TMP equivalent, with an Beretta Model 70 equivalent readily at hand (for post-crash E&E scenarios, I imagine the sound supressor would be handy).

Assuming that it's still an option to do so, I would also expect that the executive would also actually have a body guard present, probably carrying a concealed pistol (Ares Predator) and a melee weapon of some kind (spurs?), but he would be much more capable skill-wise in the use of firearms than the pilot would be; and if there was no bodyguard present, that would imply to me that the executive was packing himself.

(or is it that the situation is that you've 'jacked the plane and are frantically looking around for some armament for your characters to use? :) )

Heh, the majority of this is addressed above...

The guy is packing a high-end SMG and a bit more compact than the MP-7 in the B&T MP-9 (basically a Steyr TMP), although I forgot to mention the silencer.

As for the bodyguard, well, that's the beauty of it. They had a job to do (extraction of a new PC) and the Veep's ride was the first one going in they could get to. So they dressed up in their camoflaged assault gear, waltzed up to security and then one of the magic users used his influence spell to walk past the security detail at the gate. They passed themselves off as Jaguars! Since the sentry commander glitched his resistance roll, I had them "expected". They got to the plane and when they were lifting off the real Jaguars showed up.

Regarding the selection of equipment for E&E the goal of the pilot is to survive long enough to be recovered by friendly forces. In order to do this they have issued to them a defensive weapon and two to four spare magazines. Some aircrews are getting the MP5-SDW, but right now I believe it is still reserved for Special Forces aircrews.

+Quote Post
Brahm
post Jun 5 2006, 11:34 PM
Post #11

Shooting Target

There was also suppose to be a Jaguar team onboard that we impersonated with the old Jedi mindtrick for the few moments that it took to get off the ground. Part of that facade was toting obvious hardware, so no we aren't really hurting for things that go bang.

I'm just trying to flesh out the pilot because we've basically made him a dead man in Aztech's eyes he is prime material for becoming a runner. The payoff for my PC for this run is some cultured bioware surgery, so it is pretty natural for him to be off somewhere while they grow him a new spine. My backup PC, which I haven't even played yet, is back up north with no natural way for him to be involved in anything we are doing down south. So it just occured to me to consider turning this pilot into an alternate PC since we haven't actually need to put a slug in his head and it is looking like we might have the compasion to cut him loose instead.

Our campaign is such that we don't usually have a lot of military grade equipment lying around. We have some, but it has been expensive for us in cash and favours. The only opportunistic loot we were able to grab was the plane, which we needed, plus a couple Ares Alpha's, one nolonger in functioning order. The addition of a GL to our arsenal is nice.

You know Brahm, if you really wanted to know, you could have just asked!

Ya, well I was just trying to organize my thoughts before talking to you. :)

+Quote Post
Eddie Furious
post Jun 5 2006, 11:40 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

QUOTE (Brahm)
The corporation is the governement. The pilot is effectively military, he's flying an armed transport plane in a war zone (Yucatan).

After all this helpful feedback and some thought I think I'm going to suggest to the GM that he be carrying an FN P90L, laser sight instead of Smartlink, loaded out with SS191 and likely with whatever is the equivalent of the USG IR x1 night scope mounted. One spare clip, with it's 50 rnd capacity, should be about right.

That obviously isn't a standard stated SR weapon. They don't really have any of the PDW in the currently published books. I think to express it in SR4 stats I'm going to suggest that given the normal 4P/0AP for a Machine Pistol, 5P/0AP for an SMG, and 5P/-1AP for Heavy Pistols (except the Ruger Warhawk at 6P/-2AP) that it get an 4P/-2AP rating because it, like the HK MP-7, is designed to penetrate IIIA body armor but generally doesn't put bigass holes is people. I think I'll try convince him as well to give it a built-in 1 or 2 recoil comp as well, but we'll see.

Normally APDS, which are currently the only real AP in SR4 right now, gives you an extra -4AP. But I think that is just over the top. Plus this in total keeps the penetrating ability down just under that of a standard AR, which at 6P/-1AP overcomes 1 point higher armor.

An MP-7 would be pretty much the same thing, but with a extendable stock. But I'm just guessing that the GM won't buy into Aztech springing for that gear. It is funny that you mention the MP-7, because I actually started looking at it and the FN P90 before you posted. So I feel pretty good about being on the right track.

Why would he carry clips?

Magazines are so much handier and they are much better at protecting the ammunition from the environment.

:grinbig:

Don't worry Brahm, its sorted.

All you had to do was ask.

+Quote Post
Vaevictis
post Jun 5 2006, 11:55 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

QUOTE (Eddie Furious)
Regarding the selection of equipment for E&E the goal of the pilot is to survive long enough to be recovered by friendly forces. In order to do this they have issued to them a defensive weapon and two to four spare magazines. Some aircrews are getting the MP5-SDW, but right now I believe it is still reserved for Special Forces aircrews.

Oh, absolutely. I was just saying that having a sound supressor handy would be nice for such a situation.

+Quote Post
Nasrudith
post Jun 6 2006, 12:48 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,447

Shouldn't the piolet have a tazer or a crossbow? Depreasurization would kill everyone on board otherwise.

+Quote Post
Vaevictis
post Jun 6 2006, 12:52 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

QUOTE (Nasrudith)
Shouldn't the piolet have a tazer or a crossbow? Depreasurization would kill everyone on board otherwise.

Gel rounds?

+Quote Post
Eddie Furious
post Jun 6 2006, 01:26 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

QUOTE (Vaevictis)
QUOTE (Nasrudith @ Jun 5 2006, 07:48 PM)

Gel rounds?

The pilot's job is to fly the aircraft. The firearm won't be brought into play then.

The pilot will only produce and use a firearm in earnest when there is no longer a plane to be flown.

+Quote Post
Brahm
post Jun 6 2006, 02:30 AM
Post #17

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Eddie Furious @ Jun 5 2006, 08:26 PM)
QUOTE (Vaevictis @ Jun 5 2006, 07:52 PM)
QUOTE (Nasrudith @ Jun 5 2006, 07:48 PM)

Gel rounds?

The pilot's job is to fly the aircraft. The firearm won't be brought into play then.

The pilot will only produce and use a firearm in earnest when there is no longer a plane to be flown.

Not to mention that it is likely safer to risk popping a little hole rather than risk jolting the electrical system. Besides if the aircraft is at a high enough altitude where cabin pressurizing is an issue then why the hell isn't the pilot in his air supply harness?

These are all little details though. Eddie, I'll email you the larger part of my idea along with some numbers I came up with. I didn't know how much of the NPC pilot you had fleshed out besides a condensed stat block. Basically I drafted up a lightly implanted military rigger that had since had his technomancer abilities manifest. His BP total puts him a bit above the current rest of the party, but that's primarily because technomancers are such brutal BP & karma sinks. Especially if they have any implants, which really weaken them. Mostly the sidearm question was about determining if a strong focus on the Automatics skill would make sense, though fly gear is always something us munchkins have an eye out for. :oops:

As for thoughts on ammunition numbers I've already posted most of mine some time back. Check the end of this post. A dash of realism, in the eye of someone with little learning, coupled with a heavy emphasis towards game play.

Oh, and any small caliber automatic weapon with a silencer firing AP rounds can damn well have a "clip". :P ;) I purposefully avoided mixing in a sound suppressor with the AP concept. Admittedly a sound suppressed weapon makes a lot more sense in the application where you'll want to keep as low a profile as possible, so I should have gone that way instead.

+Quote Post
Brahm
post Jun 6 2006, 02:56 AM
Post #18

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Demonseed Elite @ Jun 5 2006, 06:28 PM)
That is the most recent released information. Shadows of Latin America has a whole chapter on the Carib League (I wrote it), but that's still in limbo.  >_<

I can tell you a bit about the Aztech corporate presence in the Carib League, though. In most of the Caribbean League, Aztechnology's presence is fairly subdued and hidden behind shell companies. However, they are a huge presence in Borinquen, aka Puerto Rico. Borinquen is the global center of Aztechnology's mycoprotein farming for all its wonderful artificial fungifoods.

Man, just another reason to want SoLA to finally come out. I've not heard of a single peep coming from Holostreets in months now.

Thanks for the info though.

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Jun 7 2006, 11:55 PM
Post #19

Runner

QUOTE (Eddie Furious)
Okay, as far as the P-90/MP-7 debate, both use next generation ammunition, which, while it penetrates armour quite nicely, basically makes an "owie" compared to 5.56N and the newer rounds like 6.5 Grendel and 6.8SPC (the 6.5 Grendel is basically the accepted assault round in the SR universe I run).

This may be true, but their performance compared to other rounds fired from weapons of similar types (pistols and SMGs) when you're hitting an armored target was the point of developing the rounds in the first place. Very few handguns pack a round capable of going through serious body armor.

If a plane gets shot down by soldiers, it's likely soldiers are going to be sent out to recover it. Issuing your pilots a weapon that lets them hurt people equipped as soldiers (including body armor) would generally be a good idea, if this is something you fear.

+Quote Post
Vaevictis
post Jun 8 2006, 01:30 AM
Post #20

Moving Target

QUOTE (Brahm)
Not to mention that it is likely safer to risk popping a little hole rather than risk jolting the electrical system.

What makes you think gel rounds are going to jolt the electrical system? (or is that not what you're saying?)

+Quote Post
Vaevictis
post Jun 8 2006, 01:38 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

QUOTE (Brahm)
Mostly the sidearm question was about determining if a strong focus on the Automatics skill would make sense, though fly gear is always something us munchkins have an eye out for. :oops:

I know this has already been resolved, but I figured I'd like to impart an anecdote in support of pilots knowing the automatics skill.

My grandfather was a C-47 pilot in Korea. They would often land their plane in the middle of a firefight in order to drop off supplies and then evacuate wounded. From what I'm told, it was *extremely* common for him and his crew to be hanging out the side of the plane whilst loading/unloading was going on (and even occasionally during takeoff and landing), firing SMGs to provide some cover.

Also, keep in mind that the early AF gunships were converted C-47s; heck, the AF's big time modern gunship is the AC-130, which is a C-130 with big ol' automatics on them.

So, there are at least some pilots that I know of who made heavy use of automatics; it would really just depend on what their typical sortie is likely to be.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Jun 8 2006, 01:08 PM
Post #22

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

QUOTE (Brahm)
Oh, and any small caliber automatic weapon with a silencer firing AP rounds can damn well have a "clip". :P ;)

Weight issues asside, carrying extra magazines is usually preferable to carrying extra ammo in clips due to the extra time it takes to reload. You'd have to remove the magazine, insert the new ammo into the magazine, remove the clip, and insert the magazine back into the weapon. The exception is in weapons that have internal magazines. For such weapons a clip should be the fastest solution.

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Jun 8 2006, 05:47 PM
Post #23

Runner

Mostly because having to use a screwdriver to remove the existing magazine and then to screw in the new one is just a waste of time :)

+Quote Post
Brahm
post Jun 8 2006, 08:27 PM
Post #24

Shooting Target

QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Jun 8 2006, 08:08 AM)
QUOTE (Brahm @ Jun 5 2006, 09:30 PM)
Oh, and any small caliber automatic weapon with a silencer firing AP rounds can damn well have a "clip".  :P  ;)

Weight issues asside, carrying extra magazines is usually preferable to carrying extra ammo in clips due to the extra time it takes to reload. You'd have to remove the magazine, insert the new ammo into the magazine, remove the clip, and insert the magazine back into the weapon. The exception is in weapons that have internal magazines. For such weapons a clip should be the fastest solution.

That little exchange was about Eddie razzing me for a terminology slip on my part, using SR terminology where a detachable box magazine is called a "clip". :dead:

QUOTE (Vaevictis)
What makes you think gel rounds are going to jolt the electrical system? (or is that not what you're saying?)

I was refering to the suggestion of using a taser. A crossbow would be unwieldy. Gel rounds, versus armor? See the discussion about what'll likely be sent to the site of a downed aircraft. Well maybe they'd be sort of ok with utterly wacked canon ammo rules, but it seems an unlikely idea. If the plane really is in that much danger from a couple of, effectively, pistol rounds then it isn't much of a military plane. :P Are you going to pass out gel rounds to everyone that steps on the plane? Because as Eddie points out they are more likely to be shooting long before the pilot does.

Speaking of which, Shrike30, Eddie is definately of the old school mindset when it comes to ammo. I'm certain he is fully aware of the arguments for/against those "next generation" ammunitions. While I don't nessasarily fully buy into his position, there is certainly a lot of debate and uncertainty around the subject of their field effectiveness to inflict required damage given their relatively limited use so far in real combat situations.

EDIT: They don't nessasarily do normal "pistol" damage either. Because their armor piercing slugs don't deform or fragment they rely solely on flipping to increase cavitation slightly. They also, because of their relatively low mass, apparently have penetration that is borderline. That would be a real issue when you started going up against orks and trolls.

+Quote Post
Eddie Furious
post Jun 9 2006, 05:06 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

QUOTE (Shrike30)
QUOTE (Eddie Furious @ Jun 5 2006, 03:24 PM)

This may be true, but their performance compared to other rounds fired from weapons of similar types (pistols and SMGs) when you're hitting an armored target was the point of developing the rounds in the first place. Very few handguns pack a round capable of going through serious body armor.

If a plane gets shot down by soldiers, it's likely soldiers are going to be sent out to recover it. Issuing your pilots a weapon that lets them hurt people equipped as soldiers (including body armor) would generally be a good idea, if this is something you fear.

If an aircrew ends up on the ground, they run. A pilot or two v. a trained infantry unit is a no contest. The pilots would die. However the pilots can and do get training on how to use the weapon to create enough confusion to make the troops keep thier heads down and play it slow and safe. This gives the pilot some time to get his recovery team on the horn and arrange for a pickup. After that it is all about SERE until they can be extracted.

Pilots are trained to protect the most valuable asset in the airforce, themselves. Going toe to toe with an infantry company is not how you do that. If you stay and try to engage in a protracted firefight, you die.

Also, the small calibre high velocity & penetration arms were designed to replace support troops' assault rifles. It was determined that what they needed was a relatively compact weapon that could basically keep the enemy's head down long enough for...

1). them to get the hell outta dodge.

2). them to get the heavy hitters on their side a chance to address the issue (a rare event)

without the firearm getting in the way of their primary job. Ever tried to bail out of an ambushed Defender 110 with an assault rifle in hand? I have, its not fun.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:34 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.