Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shadows of Latin America, A query
PenAgain
post Jun 6 2006, 02:38 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,684

I was (and still am) very excited about Shadows of Latin America. Has there been any word about when Holostreets is going to be up and running?

Any book that updates Aztlan is a book that I *need*.

I signed up for the Holostreets e-mail update list ages ago, but nothing has ever come of it, so I was just wondering... most of you are a bit more in the loop than me.

--PenAgain
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Jun 6 2006, 03:11 PM
Post #2

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 7,996

I'm in the same spot you are, no news at all.

+Quote Post
Demonseed Elite
post Jun 6 2006, 10:34 PM
Post #3

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 67

I wish I could update you on it, but I don't really know anything to tell you.

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Jun 7 2006, 01:32 AM
Post #4

ghostrider

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,333

Apologies if this is common knowledge, but is it pretty safe to assume that by now, SoLA is going to be SR4 specific?

+Quote Post
Canis
post Jun 7 2006, 01:51 AM
Post #5

Target

Member No.: 7,550

Actually I was under the impression that it was 3rd Ed. I believe it was supposed to have been released before 4th ed came out, and I don’t think their re-writing it, just releasing it for free because it’s out of date. But I might be remembering it completely wrong. I hope they release it soon, I want to read this book.

+Quote Post
HMHVV Hunter
post Jun 7 2006, 02:00 AM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 2,840

I heard they were releasing it as PDF only. Personally, I think that's a pain in the ass - not everybody has the time to go to Kinko's and print out a copy, bind it, etc.

They oughta just release it in bookstores for a cheaper price - say, $10?

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Jun 7 2006, 02:46 AM
Post #7

ghostrider

It's most definitely PDF only. That was official a long time ago. While I agree on PDFs sucking in comparison to books, I don't think we're likely to get our way on this one.

+Quote Post
Adam
post Jun 7 2006, 10:33 AM
Post #8

Prime Runner

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (HMHVV Hunter)
They oughta just release it in bookstores for a cheaper price - say, $10?

Negative profit margin should generally be avoided by any for-profit venture.

+Quote Post
MITJA3000+
post Jun 7 2006, 11:07 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,552

QUOTE (eidolon)
While I agree on PDFs sucking in comparison to books, I don't think we're likely to get our way on this one.

I'd be very happy if we ever did get even the pdf...

+Quote Post
Demonseed Elite
post Jun 7 2006, 11:09 AM
Post #10

Neophyte Runner

Personally, I'd like to just add it to the product schedule and update it for SR4 somewhere down the line (ala Running Wild). Though it's not something that could really be done now, because most of the writers who worked on SoLA are swamped on other projects (I know myself, Peter, and JWK have been plenty busy) and some of the authors for the smaller sections might be hard to track down. If we couldn't get them to update their sections, then the rest of us would be taking on more work.

But that's just what I'd like to do, and it's not really my call. ;)

+Quote Post
NightmareX
post Jun 7 2006, 02:30 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,687

QUOTE (Adam)

Definitely. I'd be happy to pay full price even for an outdated 3rd edition version of SoLA.

+Quote Post
HMHVV Hunter
post Jun 7 2006, 03:58 PM
Post #12

Running Target

Member No.: 2,840

QUOTE (NightmareX)
QUOTE (Adam)

Definitely. I'd be happy to pay full price even for an outdated 3rd edition version of SoLA.

Yeah, so would I, but my point is how many OTHER people would be? My guess is not so many, which is why I suggested the bargain basement price.

+Quote Post
Brahm
post Jun 7 2006, 04:17 PM
Post #13

Shooting Target

Member No.: 8,006

I would. But agreed that it might be a more limited market. Which is at least part of the reason why they are choosing a distribution model to support the pricing. So they can still get it out to the people that want the content without losing money on distribution.

+Quote Post
Brahm
post Jun 7 2006, 04:20 PM
Post #14

Shooting Target

Member No.: 8,006

QUOTE (Demonseed Elite)
Personally, I'd like to just add it to the product schedule and update it for SR4 somewhere down the line (ala Running Wild). Though it's not something that could really be done now, because most of the writers who worked on SoLA are swamped on other projects (I know myself, Peter, and JWK have been plenty busy) and some of the authors for the smaller sections might be hard to track down. If we couldn't get them to update their sections, then the rest of us would be taking on more work.

How much really needs updating? Are you talking only SR3 to SR4 dice mechanics, or also adding and updating the info to fill the timeline from 2064-2069?

+Quote Post
JongWK
post Jun 7 2006, 04:21 PM
Post #15

Shooting Target

Group: Validating
Member No.: 3,992

But that's just what I'd like to do, and it's not really my call.  ;)

I'd also love to update it at some point.

+Quote Post
Demonseed Elite
post Jun 7 2006, 05:14 PM
Post #16

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (Brahm)
How much really needs updating? Are you talking only SR3 to SR4 dice mechanics, or also adding and updating the info to fill the timeline from 2064-2069?

Dice mechanics, yes, but I'm also talking about updating the setting material for a 2070 setting. Which wouldn't be a huge amount of work, really, and I wrote two of the larger chapters for SoLA (Aztlan and the Carib League). 90% of what I wrote for each of those hasn't changed in the five year gap.

+Quote Post
Adam
post Jun 7 2006, 05:48 PM
Post #17

Prime Runner

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (HMHVV Hunter)
Yeah, so would I, but my point is how many OTHER people would be? My guess is not so many, which is why I suggested the bargain basement price.

When a book is expected to sell fewer copies [and thus printed in a less quantity], the price actually has to go *up*, as the fixed costs of a book -- writers, layout guys, artists, etc -- do not go down.

+Quote Post
Witness
post Jun 8 2006, 12:52 AM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,319

Frankly I'd love to just to see something up on Holostreets.
SoLA would be great, but.. well anything would do at this point!

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Jun 8 2006, 02:03 AM
Post #19

ghostrider

Please put it out for SR3 first. Heck, it already exists, right? I mean, even if you wanted to update it and release it for SR4, you could dump the PDF for 3e on us.

(You being a non-specific reference to "the beings at large that release the SR products".)

+Quote Post
SL James
post Jun 8 2006, 03:35 AM
Post #20

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Group: Banned
From: Pissing on pedestrians from my electronic ivory tower.
Member No.: 7,473

QUOTE (Adam)
QUOTE (HMHVV Hunter @ Jun 7 2006, 10:58 AM)
Yeah, so would I, but my point is how many OTHER people would be?  My guess is not so many, which is why I suggested the bargain basement price.

When a book is expected to sell fewer copies [and thus printed in a less quantity], the price actually has to go *up*, as the fixed costs of a book -- writers, layout guys, artists, etc -- do not go down.

Bah. You and your microeconomic theory.

+Quote Post
NightmareX
post Jun 8 2006, 12:10 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,687

QUOTE (Adam)

That's fine. I'd pay $40-45 bucks for it, even if it is 3rd edition. Hell, I just went out and bought a hard copy of the 4th edition bible that I'll probably never really use and probably only look at once or twice in my life. I bought the PDF when it came out, and PDFs are far more useful to my needs, but I still wanted the book.

As for updating SoLA, why bother until it's necessary? Unless there's a ton of mechanics that we need to use the supplement in SR4 (doubtful), individual GMs can always update the material as they see fit when necessary. SoLA is a setting book, and setting books are all about fleshing out areas and inspiring ideas, two things that work the same regardless of what edition the book is written for.

+Quote Post
Demonseed Elite
post Jun 8 2006, 12:46 PM
Post #22

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (NightmareX)
That's fine. I'd pay $40-45 bucks for it, even if it is 3rd edition. Hell, I just went out and bought a hard copy of the 4th edition bible that I'll probably never really use and probably only look at once or twice in my life. I bought the PDF when it came out, and PDFs are far more useful to my needs, but I still wanted the book.

As for updating SoLA, why bother until it's necessary? Unless there's a ton of mechanics that we need to use the supplement in SR4 (doubtful), individual GMs can always update the material as they see fit when necessary. SoLA is a setting book, and setting books are all about fleshing out areas and inspiring ideas, two things that work the same regardless of what edition the book is written for.

I think it'd be unwise to release SoLA for $40. As a writer, I want people to actually get a chance to read what I wrote, preferably as many people as possible. The best way to accomplish that would be to either toss it out there for free (in which case we probably wouldn't update it, since our writing time is better used elsewhere) or make it completely relevent to the current game line and release it at a standard price. I know there are people out there who would buy it if it were $40, or $50, or whatever, but I want to get it to a lot of people, not just those few people.

On updating SoLA: The vast majority of the book is setting material. While there are definitely mechanics in there that no longer make a whole lot of sense with SR4's mechanics, I also think it would be important to update the setting material too. There's been a five year progression in the timeline and many important events happened in that period (wireless AR being one major thing). Just to toss out one example: the material I wrote for the Aztlan chapter on San Diego would need to be updated, since it has been hit with a major earthquake and flooded since then. What I wrote made sense for 2064 San Diego, but doesn't accurately reflect 2070 San Diego.

+Quote Post
BookWyrm
post Jun 9 2006, 01:36 AM
Post #23

Running Target

Member No.: 2,607

Having a rarity like SoLA as a PDF is a good thing, but I want it NOW. Reading location books was one of the great things about SR3.

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Jun 9 2006, 01:42 AM
Post #24

ghostrider

QUOTE (BookWyrm)
Reading location books was is one of the great things about SR3.

Corrected. Five cents please. :D

So what is the hold up? (Not asked in a whiny "come on guyyyys" voice, just a "I wonder" sort of thing. Okay, maybe a little whiny. ;))

+Quote Post
Synner
post Jun 9 2006, 01:45 AM
Post #25

Runner

Member No.: 185

Believe us guys, nobody would like to see this one published more than the writers. There's a lot of nice stuff in the book, and like SoA and SoE, it isn't just the obvious places that get have all the cool surprises.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 12:43 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.