IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> World War SR4, How could it happen? And more.
Witness
post Jun 8 2006, 12:06 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,319

So I was chatting with a friend the other day (yes, there was alcohol involved) and the idea of post-2070 world war came up.

We didn't think it through all that much, beyond the fact that various megacorps might perhaps make a fortune off the arms race and that it might make for an interesting campaign setting, with shadowrunners doing all sorts of covert ops that contribute to such a war starting or ending, or help to forge or disrupt alliances. I guess it would the proper nation states that go at it, with some megas taking sides but others sitting in the middle like arms-dealing Switzerlands.

So I thought I'd throw the question up here for your ideas.

It's fairly easy to think of reasons why such a war could never happen (and I'm sure lots of people will post them), but... supposing it could and did- what might trigger it, what might the sides look like, what would a post-2070 world war look like, and what might happen?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Jun 8 2006, 12:11 PM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

Lofwyr burps and incinerates the Pope, blames it on Aden and starts Euro Wars 2.0.

+Quote Post
Witness
post Jun 8 2006, 12:24 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

It's always hard to tell if you're being serious! ;)

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Jun 8 2006, 12:49 PM
Post #4

Ain Soph Aur

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 600

Well, the problem is that in SR, national governements are too weak to start big wars, except for a handful only. The strongest political entity is the Corporate Courts, followed by the Magas, then nations.

So since all the megas are basically on the same team, get struck down hard if they start too much trouble (an Omega Order can really ruin your day), and, most importantly, care only about profit, a starting a global war seems unlikely.

That being said, lets look at the exceptions:

Amazonia, Aztlan-Aztechnology.

Amazonia is currently (IMO) the world's strongest governement, in terms of unity. It could technically, forcing a bit the imagination here, call on some allies such as other Awakened nations like the Tirs.

Aztlan-Aztechnology very narrowly almost did cause a world war, since they are evil bastards and their first concern isn't profitability.

Soooo, if a world war started, these two would have something to do with it. Maybe Amazonia, Aztlan's eternal rival, gets wind of a serious Horror importing scheme the Azzies plan on undertaking with the notion of fuck subtility. They then run a pre-emptive strike. Massive destruction ensues. People are forced to take sides as the thing spirals out of control. And while at it, of course, old vendettas get settled under the excuse of 'helping out' their chosen allies.

Either that or a rogue AI launches all of the UCAS's nukes at various people, causing retaliation. Oh wait, that's Fallout.

+Quote Post
Cang
post Jun 8 2006, 01:01 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,077

Its easy to start a world war. Country 1 claims land from country 2 (1 my be lead by a crazy leader or not).. Country 3 supports country 2 in its defence (kinda like kuwait). Now country 4 supports country one in their claim of country 2s land. Then its a big ol' buddy country supporting the other, thinking of how they are going to split up their enemies land among themselves. A perfect thing would be like japan claiming back that meta indonesian island (the name escapes me) or Russia goes after their lost lands, UCAS goes after CAS or the NAN. Also remember that war can start with the silliest thing. Remember when President Fox of Mexico made that remark that mexicans are at least willing to work, unlike blacks. Well the US got really mad... with the right incentive and provocation, that could of been a war. :cyber:

+Quote Post
Witness
post Jun 8 2006, 01:27 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Yeah I like your thinking Backgammon. I agree that would be the perfect 'seed' for a World War, and could easily spiral out of control as Cang suggests, though I struggle to think who would side with Aztlan.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Jun 8 2006, 01:31 PM
Post #7

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

You just hire a Bosnian shadowrunner to kill an Austrian Prince.

+Quote Post
booklord
post Jun 8 2006, 03:13 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,583

The American Conflict
------------------------
Aztechnology launches several nukes into Amazonia. ( The nuclear attack was launched when unknown subversives seized control of the missile silos ) Amazonia launches a full invasion of Aztlan led by the Great Dragon Sirrurg. Chile, Argentina and the rest of South AMerica become involved in the conflict as Amazonia forces march across national borders to attack Aztechnology facilities throughout South America.

Japanese Imperial Marines return to Peru to defend the nation against Amazonia. Though Amazonia does not invade Peru, border conflicts are common and a number of paranormal-beasts wreak havok across the countryside.

Meanwhile the Pueblo nation having recently revoked Aztechnology's license to business there ( again ) moves to have NAN declare the nation and its corp as banned throughout NAN. Things are made worse when anti-Aztechnology protesters are massacred by outside an Aztechnology facility in Algonkian Manitoo as well as multiple terrorist attacks in Denver which are linked to the pro-Aztlan movement there. The other NAN nations are skeptical but agree to the ban due by considerable cash gifts from Pueblo. Aztechnology resists and NAN military forces forcibly evict the corp from NAN territory. This results severe border tension between Pueblo and Aztlan.

With Aztlan already reeling from its conflict with Amazonia, CAS moves to retake the parts of Texas which it lost. Peblo follows suit by "liberating" San Deigo. In a surprise move Pueblo offers to help Tir Tairngire with its financial problems if it should ally itself with Pueblo. Tir Tairngire joins the conflict.

President Colloton begins her mission to rescue Calfree by occupying San Franscio and Central Valley ( the above ground parts ) with UCAS Troops backed by Ares. ( and covertly by Aztechnology ) The troops are met with much enthusiasm by a public wracked by fear of the new Pueblo-Tir Tairngire alliance. An anti-occupation movement begins in Los Angellos and San Deigo against the Pueblo.

The European Conflict
--------------------------

The railroad link connecting Russia to Vladistock is destroyed at several key locations forcing Russia to commit to move large numbers of military assets to counter the Yakut. Oddly enough the Yakut weren't responsible for the railroad's destruction. But the awakened nation is quick to take advantage.

A islamic radical movement explodes across the middle east following multiple assassinations. ( including the Caliph of Arabia ) Following a series of terrorist attacks ( and a tip that a major terrorist group is about to launch a biological weapon attack ) Israel invades Beirut. The radical islamic movement becomes a full jihad.

The anti-Lowfyr alliance in Europe score their first major economic victory against Saeder Krupp stealing away one of its subsidiaries. Tensions run high in the shadows throughout Europe. And at the worst possible time, terrorist attacks hit multiple vital Saeder Krupp facilities. ( including the nuking of Saeder Krupp prime in Rhine RHur ) Initial evidence points to the anti-Lofwyr alliance and the dragon enraged orders bloody retribution. But evidence comes to light showing that an independent terrorist group was responsible. Anti-Lofwyr ( and in extenstion anti-Saeder Krupp ) rallies spread across Europe.

Saeder Krupp is now reeling from events in Russia, events in the Middle East, the initial economic hit from the anti-Lofwyr alliance ( most of whom are dead martyrs at this point ), the damage of the terrorist attacks, and now a publicity nightmare. The other European corps smell blood and begin stealing S-K subsidiaries and market share. Thus begins the great European Corp War.

The African Conflict
---------------------------

With much of the world embroiled in conflict, noone is able to act when a massive, awakened army emerges from the hidden jungles of Madagascar led by elves of tremendous magical skill. Moving at incredible speed and seemingly unstoppable the army traveling on magical airships conquers most of southern Africa in a very short time. They then set their eyes on the rest of Africa. The Theran empire is born again.

Of course the folks behind the Theran empire played a major role in orchestrating the events which started the major conflicts in Europe and the Americas. With world's major military forces otherwise occupied can anything stop the new Theran Empire from conquering all of Africa?

Whew!!! So we've got 2 megacorps under seige. Conflict erupting across Europe, Russia, North America, South America, the Middle East and Africa. And finally the return of the Theran Empire determined to take the entire continent of Africa as its own. World War SR4 has begun!

---------------------------------------------------------

Basically to start a World War in SR4 you need some organization which wants to start one. If the new Theran empire is too radical a departure, it might be some massive terrorist organization that is simply trying to start world chaos. Alamais might be a real good instigator. There are several examples of armed conflicts which would erupt if someone just pressed the right buttons. If some organization decided to press the buttons on several of these potential armed conflicts at the same time then the megacorps wouldn't be able to keep up. World War SR4 would begin.

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Jun 8 2006, 03:19 PM
Post #9

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 7,996

QUOTE (Witness)
Yeah I like your thinking Backgammon. I agree that would be the perfect 'seed' for a World War, and could easily spiral out of control as Cang suggests, though I struggle to think who would side with Aztlan.

You just have to get creative in the sense of Megacorps. None of them much like Aztechnology, but whose rivals would get stronger if the Big A bit it in an ill-advised war? Aztechnology is huge in Food & Consumer Products, plays pretty seriously in Vehicles, Military Hardware, Chemicals, Magic Supplies, and Biotech. Meaning if they went down the biggest winners would mostlikely be MCT, ARES, & SK. SO now who are the natural enemies of ARES, SK, and MCT? Could Renraku be desparate enough to throw in with the Azzies? It would possibly start a civil or shadow war in Japan if they did.

Abother Scenario could be a further attempt at expansion by a bloc of Awakened Nations, remember the Immortals who rule the Tirs and some Dragons ultimately believe metahumanity is there to serve them.

+Quote Post
The ubbergeek
post Jun 8 2006, 03:34 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,415

Cross is still the natural ennemy of Ares, Cross and the ARes guy hated their guts, albeit Cross took quite an hit when it was relocated to AA. Now, localy, they may be helpfull in a coalition, an dif promised to grow stronger again and parts of Ares's empire...

+Quote Post
Witness
post Jun 8 2006, 03:42 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Well I've got to take my hat of to booklord. The Neo-Theran Empire exploding across Africa is a brilliant coup de grace (though a little bit of a maguffin if you're going to blame them for all aspects of the war). I'd for one would love to see a really powerful united (and mysterious) African empire take center stage in Shadowrun.
If I have a criticism- and this is pretty much a matter of personal taste- it's that the wars of the different continents could do to be tied together a little bit more. It doesn't feel quite enough like a 'world war' if the conflicts are so compartmentalized. You know?

Stevebugge makes a good point about 'the enemy of my enemy is my friend', I think. I can see some mileage in the idea of 'Awakened nations' vs the rest, though I can't imagine what could pull them all onto the same side.

+Quote Post
Thorn Black
post Jun 8 2006, 03:54 PM
Post #12

Target

Member No.: 8,431

Is global conflict what Shadowrun is about though? I dunno, it just doesn't sit right with me, imo..

+Quote Post
booklord
post Jun 8 2006, 04:27 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Well I've got to take my hat of to booklord. The Neo-Theran Empire exploding across Africa is a brilliant coup de grace (though a little bit of a maguffin if you're going to blame them for all aspects of the war). I'd for one would love to see a really powerful united (and mysterious) African empire take center stage in Shadowrun.
If I have a criticism- and this is pretty much a matter of personal taste- it's that the wars of the different continents could do to be tied together a little bit more. It doesn't feel quite enough like a 'world war' if the conflicts are so compartmentalized. You know?

Well World War II had basically split in two the European front and the Pacific front. Effectively two separate conflicts. This theory has three. It should also be mentioned that there are almost no "world power nations" in SR4. ( Arguably the Imperial State of Japan is one ) As such most nations won't fight far beyond their own backyard.

And blaming the Therans for all aspects of the war is really a necessary evil. Like I wrote in my wrap up there are a lot of potential conflicts. But if one erupts then the corps can handle it. They need to erupt all at once to really throw a wrench in the works. World War SR4 isn't just going to happen spontaneously. Somebody's got to want it to happen.

I only describe the start of the conflict.

1) Can Aztlan survive?
2) Will Amazonia take over most of South America? ( I mean besides the massive chunk it already controls )
3) Can the corporate court restore order in Europe?
4) Will the corporate infighting spread from Europe?
5) Will the anyone be able to stop the Theran empire from taking over all of Africa?
6) Since Lofwyr is likely to surmise that the Theran empire was behind his troubles how pissed is he likely to be?

The war becomes more global should the megacorps get their act together and move to stop both Amazonia and the Therans. Or it could become more global if the corps fail to close ranks and start fighting among themselves in a massive free-for-all.

Is global conflict what Shadowrun is about though? I dunno, it just doesn't sit right with me, imo..

No, It's not. But there are organizations out there who are interested in starting wars for their own ends such as the New Revolution group. And its not too hard to imagine some hidden organization with an interest in starting a world war. An adventure where the runners end up fighting against or perhaps unwittingly working for such an organization could have lots of possibilities.

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Jun 8 2006, 05:32 PM
Post #14

Neophyte Runner

I've got one character who is moving more and more in to the fold of the "Sons of the Alamo" (or whatever the name of that Texas based let's got to war with Aztlan to reclaim San Antonio group is called). There's another group that would certainly be working to pile on to Aztlan if the opportunity presented itself (or was developed)

+Quote Post
Geekkake
post Jun 8 2006, 06:01 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,372

What about the Islamic Unity Movement? Seems like Ibn Eisa, if he could get everyone under the movement's umbrella, would have quite a power bloc to exercise.

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Jun 8 2006, 06:29 PM
Post #16

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (Geekkake)
What about the Islamic Unity Movement? Seems like Ibn Eisa, if he could get everyone under the movement's umbrella, would have quite a power bloc to exercise.

Possibly if you have it happen before 2065, but something happened to good old Ibn Eisa in the wrapping up section of System Failure. Of course there were still power plays to be made in the Middle East and Ibn Eisa out of the way.....

+Quote Post
Geekkake
post Jun 8 2006, 06:44 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,372

QUOTE (stevebugge)
QUOTE (Geekkake @ Jun 8 2006, 10:01 AM)

Possibly if you have it happen before 2065, but something happened to good old Ibn Eisa in the wrapping up section of System Failure. Of course there were still power plays to be made in the Middle East and Ibn Eisa out of the way.....

Ugh, looks like I have to go back to my books...

+Quote Post
GB1
post Jun 8 2006, 07:37 PM
Post #18

Target

Member No.: 8,637

"i don't know what WW3 will be like, but WW4 with be fought with sticks and stones"
- Albert Einstein

+Quote Post
Voran
post Jun 8 2006, 08:44 PM
Post #19

Running Target

Member No.: 6,099

You find some place/country that has resources you want (oricalchum, daisies, oil, whatever) and convince your populace that you've been attacked by that country, justifying a 'counter attack' on them :)

Btw, I'm not trying to make a social commentary on current situations. I'm just saying, with the megacorp mindset in SR, it becomes even more possible :P

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Jun 9 2006, 01:33 AM
Post #20

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

QUOTE (Cang)
Its easy to start a world war. Country 1 claims land from country 2 (1 my be lead by a crazy leader or not).. Country 3 supports country 2 in its defence (kinda like kuwait). Now country 4 supports country one in their claim of country 2s land. Then its a big ol' buddy country supporting the other, thinking of how they are going to split up their enemies land among themselves. A perfect thing would be like japan claiming back that meta indonesian island (the name escapes me) or Russia goes after their lost lands, UCAS goes after CAS or the NAN. Also remember that war can start with the silliest thing. Remember when President Fox of Mexico made that remark that mexicans are at least willing to work, unlike blacks. Well the US got really mad... with the right incentive and provocation, that could of been a war.  :cyber:

....[not wanting to drop any spoilers since I intend to run this campaign again]

Suffice to say the threat for a new Euro War was a distinct possibility in the "Rhapsody" arc I ran last year. There was a lot of behind the scenes political manoeuvering that played itself out which had little to do directly with the team's actions. However, at several points, whether they knew it or not, the runners had the potential to either light the fuse or blow out the match depending on their actions.

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Jun 9 2006, 03:25 AM
Post #21

Chicago Survivor

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,033

I'm sorry, I have to giggle when I see Amazonia being mentioned as a "world power" or being considered anything more serious than a pipe dream. they have 0 capital, no industry on a scale that is required for a city to sustain itself, let alone a sprawl or a nation. Amazonia is a half-assed attempt at neo-environmentalism run amok in politics and it fails miserably. The reason why radical environmentalism fails is because without the ability to produce goods, no nation can sustain itself. It's freaking illegal to cut down a tree, kill a marmut or dig in the dirt, how exactly is any one in amazonia producing a profit?

Right, metahuman testing, that'll last for about 5 minutes.

In my games, Amazonia wa attempted, failed miserably and imploded under it's own suck.

+Quote Post
booklord
post Jun 9 2006, 05:49 AM
Post #22

Moving Target

QUOTE (Nikoli)
I'm sorry, I have to giggle when I see Amazonia being mentioned as a "world power" or being considered anything more serious than a pipe dream. they have 0 capital, no industry on a scale that is required for a city to sustain itself, let alone a sprawl or a nation. Amazonia is a half-assed attempt at neo-environmentalism run amok in politics and it fails miserably. The reason why radical environmentalism fails is because without the ability to produce goods, no nation can sustain itself. It's freaking illegal to cut down a tree, kill a marmut or dig in the dirt, how exactly is any one in amazonia producing a profit?

From what I recall Metropole ( the only megaplex of any significant size remaining in Amazonia ) is surviving and thriving. While the jungle is strictly off limits, the farmland around Metropole has been turned high-tech and not only produces enough to feed the people but is a major exporter of soy, coffee and sugar. Poverty and crime are down ( though not as much as the dragon would like ) and the dragon keeps the corps on a short leash. Outside of Metropole there's barely any economy to speak of but the dragon doesn't care.

I wouldn't call Amazonia a world power either. It lacks the economic powerbase to project military might any distance beyond its immediate neighbors. What military technology it has it uses to protect its own borders. But what it does have is the magic and awakened resources to rival or exceed that of even the most powerful awakened nations on Earth. To Colombia, Peru, Aztlan, Caracas ( What's left of Venezuela ), Argentina, and Guiana Amazonia remains a most dangerous threat.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Jun 9 2006, 06:27 AM
Post #23

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

Amazonia sounds like what the Tirs tried to be (and were, for a while).

+Quote Post
TBRMInsanity
post Jun 9 2006, 02:07 PM
Post #24

Running Target

Member No.: 8,494

As noted above I think the only way world war can exist is if Azland starts it. Right now they are rebuilding after an unsuccessful civil war in the Yucatan and the Omega order from SR3. Once they are back up to power I think they may go after Amizonia (and more specifically Hualpa). This will draw in other nations wanting to capitalize on the instability formed in the area. Most of the fighting will be in South/Central America. Aden may take this distraction to openly crush the NIJ and Lofwyr will use this opportunity to invade the middle east. The dragons of the world will end up being the major players (and winners) in this world war.

+Quote Post
JongWK
post Jun 9 2006, 02:49 PM
Post #25

Shooting Target

Group: Validating
Member No.: 3,992

QUOTE (Nikoli @ Jun 9 2006, 12:25 AM)
I'm sorry, I have to giggle when I see Amazonia being mentioned as a "world power" or being considered anything more serious than a pipe dream.  they have 0 capital, no industry on a scale that is required for a city to sustain itself, let alone a sprawl or a nation.  Amazonia is a half-assed attempt at neo-environmentalism run amok in politics and it fails miserably.  The reason why radical environmentalism fails is because without the ability to produce goods, no nation can sustain itself.  It's freaking illegal to cut down a tree, kill a marmut or dig in the dirt, how exactly is any one in amazonia producing a profit?

You do know that the Rio-Sao Paulo Metropole is a 200 million people sprawl, right?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 05:38 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.