IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Was there a Sprawl Encounter Generator?
Tiralee
post Jun 14 2006, 04:18 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,585

I've got my greedy hands on a VERY dog-eared (and slobbered) copy of one of the yea-olde publications, "Sprawl Sites" and there was an interesting collection of random encounters a lazy GM could throw in.

Since I am THE lazy Gm, was there a stand-alone program for the encounters, somewhere?

I sort of started on an Excel spreadsheet, but I forgot that I re-formatted the box and the version I loaded on is retarded. (Damn scratched disks!)

So, to save me the effort of trying to figure out a way around several nested IF functions, is there something out there?

-Tir.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Drraagh
post Jun 14 2006, 05:49 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,631

I have a program I have been idly working on for the past year or so (putting like five minutes here, ten there) that takes a text file with percentages to generate a random crowd and then allow you to generate a personality (using something similar to D&D 1E's personality generator).

Give me about a week or so, I can program the random encounters from Sprawl Sites into a simple program for you seeing as I get home from work at 3:30 AM.

I haven't seen a specific program for it, but there are also the old D&D sort of random encounter programs that could be played with by mucking around with the data files. ;)

Also, doesn't Mr. Johnson's LBB aso have some Random Encounter tables as well?

+Quote Post
Tiralee
post Jun 14 2006, 05:57 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

:D Great to know.

Actually, I really like the "Old skool Flavr" of the Old Sprawl Sites. Sadly, no Triad or SepRing encounters and a trifle...shall we say..Hopeful? Depiction of the Elves from "up north".

Laughed myself sick reading one of the "other" encounters - the Griffin in the back seat of the van. I swear I'm going to use that one.

-Tir.

+Quote Post
Drraagh
post Jun 14 2006, 06:27 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,631

Main thing with the random encounter list is that it's good so long as its just general. Like the way this talks about it. But then, that's the idea I suppose. Random encounters were never really meant to be followed for the letter, or how would one explain Ninjas in the Medieval D&D. Order of the Stick had a good discussion on that in their first book as one of the bonus strips.

+Quote Post
Shrapnel
post Jun 14 2006, 06:45 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,852

Here's something that really helps with the random gang encounters:

Random Gang & Insect Spirit Generators

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Jun 14 2006, 12:14 PM
Post #6

Horror

Member No.: 7,445

That's nice. The only problem is it's SR3, not SR4. :)

+Quote Post
Platinum
post Jun 14 2006, 01:20 PM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 1,115

How is that a problem? :wobble:

+Quote Post
Lindt
post Jun 14 2006, 01:56 PM
Post #8

Man In The Machine

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 1,105

QUOTE (Tiralee)
Laughed myself sick reading one of the "other" encounters - the Griffin in the back seat of the van. I swear I'm going to use that one.

*blink*

Please explain. I suddenly have a great use for that.

+Quote Post
Member #5177
post Jun 14 2006, 06:30 PM
Post #9

Target

Member No.: 6,409

QUOTE (Sprawl Sites @ page80)
While walking down the street, the runners laugh to see a parked van rocking steadily.  Just as they are about to harass the van's amorous occupants, the back door opens and a half-devoured body falls out.  Before the characters can react, a gold and red animal form springs out and bounds away.

Quotes

"Holy &*$#^#%@$!"
"It's a griffin!  I think it's a griffin!"
"Get it offa me!"

Notes

A griffin has wandered into town and gone on a killing frenzy, which is abnormal behaviour for this creature.  It has been driven mad by a wound wracking its body with pain and poison.  Inflicted by a hunter's poisoned arrow a week ago, the wound is large, suppurating, and very visible on the griffin's left flank

If the characters have their wits enough about them to help heal the creature, the griffin will break off its attack and flee for home.  The grateful critter might, alternatively, decide to adopt the group, following them everywhere.

Info/Contacts

Having a griffin as a pet definitely violates the local ASPCA rules.

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Jun 14 2006, 09:21 PM
Post #10

ghostrider

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,333

QUOTE (Platinum)
How is that a problem? :wobble:

Yup...I'm confused too.

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Jun 14 2006, 09:33 PM
Post #11

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 7,996

QUOTE (eidolon)
QUOTE (Platinum @ Jun 14 2006, 08:20 AM)
How is that a problem?  :wobble:

Yup...I'm confused too.

Well for those of us that have moved to or started with SR4 it doesn't save that much work, the output gangers need stats, some gear, and some skills converted.

+Quote Post
Forever Zero
post Jun 14 2006, 09:35 PM
Post #12

Target

Member No.: 8,701

QUOTE (Member #5177)
QUOTE (Sprawl Sites @ page80)
While walking down the street, the runners laugh to see a parked van rocking steadily.  Just as they are about to harass the van's amorous occupants, the back door opens and a half-devoured body falls out.  Before the characters can react, a gold and red animal form springs out and bounds away.

Quotes

"Holy &*$#^#%@$!"
"It's a griffin!  I think it's a griffin!"
"Get it offa me!"

Notes

A griffin has wandered into town and gone on a killing frenzy, which is abnormal behaviour for this creature.  It has been driven mad by a wound wracking its body with pain and poison.  Inflicted by a hunter's poisoned arrow a week ago, the wound is large, suppurating, and very visible on the griffin's left flank

If the characters have their wits enough about them to help heal the creature, the griffin will break off its attack and flee for home.  The grateful critter might, alternatively, decide to adopt the group, following them everywhere.

Info/Contacts

Having a griffin as a pet definitely violates the local ASPCA rules.

... I wonder if there are any shops around that would have a copy of this book.

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Jun 14 2006, 09:54 PM
Post #13

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 7,996

Used copies of Sprawl Sites pop up from time to time at used book stores, on ebay, and of course at the Friendly Local Game Store.

+Quote Post
Tiralee
post Jun 15 2006, 12:03 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

Knowing my runners, things would happen that would result in this:

"So, uh, you wanna come up?"
"Sure" <Giggles>
<Trooping upstairs>
"Uh, opp, just wait a sec, my pet might be a little excited if I bring you in right away." <Whistles> "Beaky, Beaky!"
<Strange growling noises, the love interest looks either intrigued or frightened>
"Ok, come on in. Hey Beaky, It's good to see ya - how are you doing, boy?!"
<Love interest> "Aaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrgggggghhhhhhhhh!"
"Don't, don't scream! He doesn't like loud noises! Beaky, NO! Bad Beaky!"

The horror...

-Tir.

+Quote Post
HalloranElder
post Jun 16 2006, 06:22 AM
Post #15

Target

Member No.: 8,551

After reading this thread, I decided to start writing a Random Encounter Generator based on the Sprawl Sites book. When it's finished I'll post a link to it, so ya all can have a look! :)

However reading through the encounters of the electronic copy I have (I bought it a month ago so I can print off maps when required) has shown me a rather serious editing mistake.

In the "Corp Police Encounters 1" section, encounter 6 it says:

QUOTE (Sprawl Sites page 73)
A contact managed to get Ares Macro's Alpha Strike Blue
keycodes, which govern physical and Matrix access. Alpha
Strike Blue is a high-level executive passcode that would make
With Mulholland Point's hard storage in their hands, the runners
could blackmail Ares for all it's worth.

I can guest what it's meant to say, but does anyone have a copy with the missing text?

+Quote Post
Tiralee
post Jun 16 2006, 01:32 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Under what I really hope are coffee stains...

"A contact managed to get Ares Macro's Alpha Strike Blue keycodes, which govern physical and Martix access. Alpha Strike Blue is a high-level executive passcode that would make...
With Mullholland Points' hard storage in their hands, the runners could blackmail Ares for all it's worth"

Uh, crap. It's unfinished too...This copy is Copyrighted 1990. Was there any errata?

-Tir. Hell, finish the damn thing. Like we care;)

+Quote Post
Member #5177
post Jun 16 2006, 06:16 PM
Post #17

Target

Member No.: 6,409

My copy says the runners trip security when they try to use it at Mullholland and Ares is alerted.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 02:21 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.