Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Magical attacks, I have been wondering
JTNLANGE
post Jun 16 2006, 07:08 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 885

I saw on another thread here that a GM was letting his magical characters manifest and cast a spell at the bad guys and this was not letting his gun bunnies have any fun. Is this legal? From what I read, you can cast mana spells but only if the target is on the astral or dual natured. I don't think that it is being handled right. You have to have LOS to use a spell correct? If you are astrally projecting and you manifest it states that you cannot interact physically with the real world, so you could appear and see them and talk but you could not attack unless they are dual natured or astral themselves. So if you pop up in the middle of a bunch of mundane ork guards, for instance, then all you could do would be talk or look at them but not attack them correct? this is assuming you are astrally projecting and your meat body is a ways away and is not in close proximity.

Thanks in advance

Trevor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Lagomorph
post Jun 16 2006, 07:11 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,832

No it's not legal. The thread in question explained that later on.

+Quote Post
JTNLANGE
post Jun 16 2006, 07:16 PM
Post #3

Target

Member No.: 885

Thanks I can't seem to find the thread again. Could you point me in the direction?

+Quote Post
Lagomorph
post Jun 16 2006, 07:32 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,832

Found it

+Quote Post
Nim
post Jun 16 2006, 07:39 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,681

Right. The only way I've found so far for an astral entity to attack physical characters without materializing is to use a mental manipulation spell/power on a dual-natured character nearby :) An astrally-projecting security mage could, for instance, try to use Control Thoughts on the runner team's astrally-perceiving combat mage, and compel him to Powerball the team. Whoops!

+Quote Post
Nim
post Jun 16 2006, 07:41 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Which reminds me, actually: Is a Materialized spirit wholly physical, or are they dual-natured?

+Quote Post
Serbitar
post Jun 16 2006, 07:51 PM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 7,534

dual

+Quote Post
Hunga
post Jun 16 2006, 07:51 PM
Post #8

Target

Member No.: 8,272

QUOTE (Nim)
Which reminds me, actually: Is a Materialized spirit wholly physical, or are they dual-natured?

Dual-natured, page 176.

+Quote Post
Apathy
post Jun 16 2006, 07:59 PM
Post #9

Running Target

Member No.: 6,046

QUOTE (Nim)
Right. The only way I've found so far for an astral entity to attack physical characters without materializing is to use a mental manipulation spell/power on a dual-natured character nearby :) An astrally-projecting security mage could, for instance, try to use Control Thoughts on the runner team's astrally-perceiving combat mage, and compel him to Powerball the team. Whoops!

Is possession still a valid meta-magic for dual-natured targets, or did that go away in SR4?

+Quote Post
Nim
post Jun 16 2006, 08:00 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Ah ha. Thanks; I was looking in the description of the power.

Hmm. Now we just need a metamagic conjuring technique to spoof a command to a spirit, as if it had come from the summoner. It would be in keeping with the SR4 love for parallel structure.... :)

+Quote Post
Nim
post Jun 16 2006, 08:02 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

QUOTE (Apathy)

Is possession still a valid meta-magic for dual-natured targets, or did that go away in SR4?

It's not listed. Figure it might make a comeback in Street Magic, especially if SM includes some alternate traditions.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th May 2024 - 08:09 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.