IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mages and Direct Spells, Iam i missing something.., Mages and Direct Spells, Iam i missing s
Guki
post Jun 18 2006, 01:16 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,732

Hi all, Played a session last night as a play testing type game. Got to a part where a combat mage (Player) cast a powerball at some ghouls just about to try and kill the party... However to my amazement the combat mage, killed them all in 1 hit.

So the details..

Force 5 PowerBall.

The mage rolled 5 sucesses. (or force 5) so 5 is the threshold for the nasty ones to get..

They have 7 body, and roll an average of 3 successes.. The damage of the powerball is ??

a) 5 base ++ 2 sucesses doing 7 damage ?

They just take the damage, no other resistances ?

OMG, I was shocked at that.

Anyhow, any comments would be great. (or if iam doing anything wrong, let me know.)

Cheers,

Guki
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Samaels Ghost
post Jun 18 2006, 01:27 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,717

Yup, a little hinky isn't it?

Don't forget that Visibility modifiers do count during your spellcasting check (pg 173, the step 3: Choose a target section).

Besides that make sure someone is counterspelling for them. You can include several buddies in your spell-defense lending so long as they are LOS.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Jun 18 2006, 02:11 AM
Post #3

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,957

How did 7 damage kill them all in 1 hit?

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Jun 18 2006, 02:14 AM
Post #4

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

Hold on. They had 7 Body, so their physical damage track would be 12. 7 damage would certainly hurt... a lot... but it wouldn't drop them.

Also keep in mind that your mage had close to completely optimal conditions - he had no visibility modifiers, no one was blocking him with counterspelling, he got a really good number of successes (if he had only rolled one or two successes, his spell would have done nothing at all), and all of his enemies were conveniently grouped together, with no other team members in the middle to potentially be caught in friendly fire.

So don't get the impression that your spellcaster is overpowered. He was just very lucky this time.

+Quote Post
Guki
post Jun 18 2006, 03:01 AM
Post #5

Target

Member No.: 8,732

Yup, thats right they should have had 12 damage track...

7 is a large track on 12 so... anyhow it was the point i was trying to get across.. :)

btw. yes I realize that he was incredible luck with the rolls and that the ghouls had just finished feeding from some dead chummers....

I thank everyone for they replies :)

guki

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post Jun 18 2006, 05:23 AM
Post #6

Decker on the Threshold

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,156

It is rather odd that direct combat spells only allow one resistance test. Nearly all other effects that do damage have two resistance tests. Guns allow Reaction(+dodge) and then Body (+armor). Melee allows Reaction+skill(+dodge) and then Body(+armor) Indirect combat spells like Flamethrower allow Reaction(+dodge) and then Body(+armor). Maybe there should be a second resistance test here too?

Or am I missing something again?

+Quote Post
Typhon
post Jun 18 2006, 06:00 AM
Post #7

Target

Member No.: 7,032

Actually I've sent a couple messages to Rob about this exact same thing, I asked if maybe they had left out the "Now target rolls willpower/body to stage down the damage" Cause in all my time of playing shadowrun I've never seen a spell drop damage that can't be staged down. I mean, we can stage down a rocket why not mana bolt?

+Quote Post
Ophis
post Jun 18 2006, 08:21 AM
Post #8

Mystery Archaeologist

Member No.: 7,760

IIRC combat direct combat spells as they are now have never had a "soak" roll just a resist roll. If you resist then you take no damage, fail and take the damage plus any extra for successes from the caster. I find mages to be less deadly in SR4 as a force 6 spelldoes six damage+success rather than being TN6 to resist and doing what ever base the caster wants, mmm deadly, insta gib to anyone who fails to resist.

I would like it if spells gave a soak roll, but hey, as it stands mages are good, but only on par to an air burst grenade.

+Quote Post
Cochise
post Jun 18 2006, 03:28 PM
Post #9

Mr. Quote-function

Member No.: 1,376

QUOTE (Typhon)
Actually I've sent a couple messages to Rob about this exact same thing, I asked if maybe they had left out the "Now target rolls willpower/body to stage down the damage" Cause in all my time of playing shadowrun I've never seen a spell drop damage that can't be staged down. I mean, we can stage down a rocket why not mana bolt?

*erm* You couldn't (and didn't have to) "stage down" a Manabolt's damage in previous editions either.
It was always a total miss (no net successes for the caster) or full damage (single net success by caster. More successes staging the damage).

The only spells that worked differently were elemental manipulations (which now are called indirect combat spells) that used ranged combat rules ...

+Quote Post
ornot
post Jun 18 2006, 03:31 PM
Post #10

Running Target

Member No.: 8,638

heh... I remember in our SR3 game we had a mage who just loved hurling about deadly stun balls. It got quite silly. Bear in mind that this was a dwarf with a 7 Will and 7 Sorcery.

+Quote Post
K2Grey
post Jun 19 2006, 03:48 AM
Post #11

Target

Member No.: 8,344

A way to annoy AoE attack spell users might be to bring the size of the area into play. IIRC a Powerball has a radius of x meters where x is its force. So a force 5 powerball is going to hit a 5 meter wide area.

It's not that big of a deal in some situations but in others there may be a good chance of killing half the team when you unload your last ditch force 10 whuppa Powerball.

+Quote Post
ornot
post Jun 19 2006, 04:21 AM
Post #12

Running Target

Member No.: 8,638

Yeah, that can be a problem. I recall one desperate situation where we had been jumped by 4 tricked out street sams (that's my pacifist, strictly support mage; our trigger happy, just don't let me get into a fist fight mage; and our strictly pistols street sam).

My mage was on the ground with a semi auto shotgun stuck behind her ear, the other mage was being bitchslapped by another sam while our sam valiantly held her own against the other two sams.

Frustrated after being kicked in the nuts twice Mr "Stunball" Dwarf unleashes the most dice he can for a deadly stunball centred on us! While my spell pool let me resist it our sam fell straight over. Of course the sams' had a little counterspelling friend of their own so only two went down.

Luckily for me the shotgun wielding sam that was "taking me alive" was sufficiently disorientated for me to summon up all my previously bound elementals, which quickly subdued our opponents. Still a case in point of why centring AoE spells on the party is a bad idea.

If you want to hear another story of why shadowrunning mages are bad people to hang around with ask me about Slainey McRoth!

+Quote Post
fool
post Jun 19 2006, 04:39 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,316

just top make sure I'm doing this the way every one else is, if the mage had only gotten 2 successes (crappy roll) and the target got three, the spell wouldn't work at all right?

+Quote Post
Cochise
post Jun 19 2006, 04:45 PM
Post #14

Mr. Quote-function

QUOTE (fool)
just top make sure I'm doing this the way every one else is, if the mage had only gotten 2 successes (crappy roll) and the target got three, the spell wouldn't work at all right?

Yes ... And even in the situation where both only scored 2 hits, the spell wouldn't work either

QUOTE (p. 174 SR4)
Th e caster must generate  at least 1 net hit on the Opposed Test for the spell to succeed.

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Jun 19 2006, 05:32 PM
Post #15

Runner

Member No.: 98

Compared to the amount of damage you can pretty easily generate with a submachinegun or a hand grenade (both of which are incredibly more points efficient at character creation than becoming a mage), I don't really have a problem with the way direct combat spells work. If you're having a big problem with the mana based ones or stuff like stunball, have your enemies use more drones (which get an Object Resistance threshold and ignore stun damage).

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Jun 19 2006, 05:34 PM
Post #16

Great Dragon

I've seen a lot more carnage from stick-n-shock ammo then from stunballs. Stick-n-shock even has the benefit that it can hurt a drone.

Just wait til your mage figures out the oomph available in mind control. :)

+Quote Post
Lagomorph
post Jun 19 2006, 05:50 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,832

One thing to remember with manaball and stunball, you choose your targets. It only affects those who you want it to with in the radius unlike a fireball where it affects every one.

Eyeless Blond: I brought up the very same question a few months ago, every one seemed content with how they worked. I think though you should still be able to stage down power, mana and stun spells.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Jun 19 2006, 05:55 PM
Post #18

Great Dragon

Wrong. Nowhere in the description of combat spells, area spells, manaball, or stunball does it say you get to pick and choose. It specifically states the opposite.

+Quote Post
Cochise
post Jun 19 2006, 05:56 PM
Post #19

Mr. Quote-function

QUOTE (Lagomorph)
One thing to remember with manaball and stunball, you choose your targets. It only affects those who you want it to with in the radius unlike a fireball where it affects every one.

Wrong ... Any valid target within area of effect will be affected by Manaball and the like. You cannot make decisions on whom you don't want to hit.
The difference with indirect combat spells is that they actually can hit people you cannot see (which normally is one of two requirements for valid targets).

QUOTE (p. 173 @ SR4)
Area Spells: Some spells target areas or points in space; in this case the caster must be able to see the center of the area affected. All visible targets within the area are aff ected; area spells can aff ect more than one target at a time. Th e base radius for all area spells is the Force in meters. Area spells affect all valid targets within the radius of effect, friend and foe alike (including
the caster)

+Quote Post
Nim
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,681

QUOTE (Lagomorph)

Errr. Are you sure about that? My memory is that they affect all VISIBLE (to the caster) targets within the area of effect.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
Post #21

Great Dragon

The difference with indirect combat spells is that they actually can hit people you cannot see (which normally is one of two requirements for valid targets).

Even this is not spelled out and is debatable. I agree with you, but many don't.

+Quote Post
Nim
post Jun 19 2006, 05:58 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Now, the bit about visible targets does leave open the possibility of using AR goggles, with some sort of AR effect to block your view of friendly targets while you cast the spell :)

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Jun 19 2006, 06:03 PM
Post #23

Great Dragon

That could work, depending on your group's idea of the limiting cheese factor in tactics. Just hope you don't have to see your friends reactively for some reason, such as following hand signals or knowing whether they fell because they were shot in the throat or because they were hit in the chest with a gel round.

+Quote Post
Cochise
post Jun 19 2006, 06:05 PM
Post #24

Mr. Quote-function

QUOTE (James McMurray)
Even this is not spelled out and is debatable. I agree with you, but many don't.

I'll stick with tradition of SR1 to SR3 in that case ... I however cannot deny that someone who only relies on the SR4 ruleset rightfully can say that indirect combat spells do not affect targets that cannot be seen (there isn't even room for debate by RAW as you suggest) ...

+Quote Post
Nim
post Jun 19 2006, 06:07 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

QUOTE (James McMurray)
That could work, depending on your group's idea of the limiting cheese factor in tactics. Just hope you don't have to see your friends reactively for some reason, such as following hand signals or knowing whether they fell because they were shot in the throat or because they were hit in the chest with a gel round.

Oh, it's not really a tactic I'd USE. But it's amusing to consider all the same. That sort of display would be something you could turn on and off whenever you wanted, so it probably wouldn't even impair you much...turn it on as you begin casting, and then back off when you're done.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:32 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.