> Aleph Society, Gaf., Mindless ramblings about our campaign
Sphynx
post Oct 14 2003, 05:15 PM
Post #1

Neophyte Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,437

WARNING: This post is just rambling about our campaign. :P

Well, I've discovered that these monstrosities we've been battling in the past 2 games are members of the Aleph Society. We've encountered a team of extremely bad-ass mofos, one's (Named: Wired) got AlphaGrade MoveByWire-4 and a couple of BetaGrade Retractable Spurs with a whopping Essence of 0.04, but despite being a Grade 1 Initiate, has a +6 Stealth, +6 Athletics (rolling 21 dice total here) Quick Strike (mixed with MBW-4), Balance Aug and Traceless Walk as well as some power that gives him bonus dice to resist the effects of the MBW negatives... The other called The Preacher (Johnny Mnemonic anyone?) is a Troll with AlphaGrade TitaniumLacing, BetaGrade MuscleReplacement-4, and AlphaGrade DermalSheathing-3 for an Essence of 0.12 and stacks that with +4 Strength, +4 Body and +4 Quickness for finishing stats of 19(23) Strength, 20 Body, and 13 Quickness.

There's also some Hermetics which aren't as essence-crazy but provide Shielding and other Defense spells that has made combating these abominations insane crazy. Anyhows, I came across a rather interesting fact at the end of the session... Watching them cross a particular treeline, the physical appearance of the duo radically changed. The "Wired" one, who has an incredibly feline look (Corrupted Adept) and the "Preacher" who looked more like a Rhino on steroids (GM's description), suddenly looked like a normal Elf/Troll, and immediately jumped back into the tree line area, regaining their 'usual' appearance. Apparently their Power Points are auto-Geasa'd to the domain of Gaf which we've determined covers about 80 square kilometers. The Gaf spirit(s) is/are only a Force 8 by our standards, giving these underling types 8 Power Points (doubled of 1/2 Spirit Energy according to the Personal Domain rules). This gives the duo 8 Power Points (0 when they leave the domain) in addition to their insane Cyber and 1 PowerPoint for initiating.

Anyhows, I just had to share the Insane-Crazy monstrosities we're having trouble with, and I think they're just the easy stuff, I'm worried silly about what kinda Mages and other Adepts are waiting for us on the otherside, though so far the Mages haven't shown any cyber-usage except for little datajack/cybereye type stuffs. Not to mention my mind going crazy over what I'd do if I could make a PC with 6- points of spent Essence and a Magic rating of 9+ to stack with it.... The GM has hinted that Dr Nickson is at least a Grade 4+ Initiate, making a Force 12 (4+8)spell quite possible. Worried Sick I tell ya. :P

Sphynx

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Crusher Bob
post Oct 14 2003, 05:25 PM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 4,253

A nice trip to ye old resort isle of choice sounds in order. On your way you can the a +12 Hackmaster, the cow of Vecna, and a complementary corak-in-a-box.

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Oct 14 2003, 05:25 PM
Post #3

Ain Soph Aur

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 600

Aren't you the one with a character that rolls 40 some odd dice for unarmed combat?

+Quote Post
Sphynx
post Oct 14 2003, 05:34 PM
Post #4

Neophyte Runner

Ah, you mean we don't play like you do? :P Just an FYI, you can munchkin and roleplay both at the same time, and it's really alot more fun that way.

As for the 40 dice, yeah, there's someone in our team who has the 45 dice Katana/Wakazashi combo. :P But that's not my character. :P

Sphynx

+Quote Post
Siege
post Oct 14 2003, 05:36 PM
Post #5

Dragon

Member No.: 3,916

Ahh.

Um.

Yeah.

Anyone else miss the fact that dumpshock lacks the suicide smiley?

-Siege

+Quote Post
Crusher Bob
post Oct 14 2003, 05:38 PM
Post #6

Runner

Member No.: 4,253

Then a simple application of 'no domain, no spirit' seems to be in order. What's a mere 80km when the fate of the world is at stake? :rotfl:

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Oct 14 2003, 05:38 PM
Post #7

Chrome to the Core

Member No.: 5,715

Only occasionally.

ed: In reference to Seige's post...

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post Oct 14 2003, 05:43 PM
Post #8

Dragon

Member No.: 4,706

Which way to the nuclear wessels?

+Quote Post
IcyCool
post Oct 14 2003, 06:06 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 164

To quote a favorite cartoon character (with a certain stuffed tiger):

"Whee"

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Oct 14 2003, 06:09 PM
Post #10

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

Fuel-air explosives is probably a good idea. Not that it isn't always a good idea...
Regarding Preacher, he may or may not be named after the combat mage of the same name from the Shadowrun trading card game.
What all do you have in terms of funds for this? Aerial bombardment might be a good idea if you've got some drones on-hand... napalm, defoliant agents, pull an Aztlan on them. That and railguns. Lure the troll out, then hit him with 8MN damage. His signature ought to be down around, oh, -A BAZILLION, so it won't be much trouble tagging him. Admittedly you'll have to hit him a second time to exhaust his overdamage, but still...

~J

+Quote Post
Sphynx
post Oct 14 2003, 06:19 PM
Post #11

Neophyte Runner

So... I hafta ask after seeing so much... distate. :P

Do you guys actually play the game? I mean, what are you doing when you reach 150, 200, 250 karma characters? Still hitting corp buildings with no real campaign? Facing the same threats that you did as starting characters? Retiring everytime you hit 50 karma because it's no longer fun to play such 'power' characters?

Seriously, I understand the need at time to play games at times where alot of thinking and little action is the definition of fun, but don't you guys encounter threats? Hell, every single game I've got a reason to become better, rarely getting time to spend my valuable karma on new skills or knowledges that don't give me a new edge for my next session.

You guys sound like a buncha newbie players who don't realize that characters do actually advance a bit and become more powerful thus leading to more powerful opposition (kinda the commonality amongst most RPGs actually....). I'm one of the lowest karma characters at a whopping 143 Karma with the most powerful exceeding 250. So, what do YOU end up against at 250 karma (or have you retired and made a new character by then because it's just no fun anymore, thus implying that your GM CAN'T come up with similarly powerful opposition)?

Sphynx

+Quote Post
krishcane
post Oct 14 2003, 07:05 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,784

Could someone kindly point me to the thread where the 45 dice melee combat roll is explained? Just curious as to how that came together. Or was it just someone had a skill of 45?

--K

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post Oct 14 2003, 07:15 PM
Post #13

Dragon

I believe it was a high skill adept with a weapon focus and ambidexterity. A skill of 14, a force 8 weapon focus and 8 points of improved ability would do it.

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Oct 14 2003, 07:29 PM
Post #14

Ain Soph Aur

QUOTE (Sphynx)
Ah, you mean we don't play like you do? :P Just an FYI, you can munchkin and roleplay both at the same time, and it's really alot more fun that way.

As for the 40 dice, yeah, there's someone in our team who has the 45 dice Katana/Wakazashi combo. :P But that's not my character. :P

Sphynx

I'm just saying that you play at a level that defies any normal rules of sanity, so I have no clue if you're in trouble or not. These guys might be devil rats to you. I suggest you just take those 40 dice of yours and kick them in the head.

+Quote Post
Sphynx
post Oct 14 2003, 07:53 PM
Post #15

Neophyte Runner

Krishcane, Character started with a Force 6 Weapon focus, skill in Edged Weapons of 6, Improved Edged Weapons of 6, and a Strength of 12 (Dwarf with 8 Strength and +4 Geasa'd Strength).

18 Bond Wakazashi (Gotten later in-game)
27 Katana skill to 12
27 Off Hand Wakazashi skill to 12
12 First Initiation (+1 Edged Weapon)
10 2nd Initiation (+1 Edged Weapon)
12 3rd Initiation (+1 Edged Weapon)

Base skill is 12(skill)+6(focus)+9(Improved)=27 then the ambidex bonus: 27+13=40 (Oops, guess it IS 40), for a mere 130 Karma and he's well over 200 I believe.

Anyhows, Backgammon.... question.

You think these are insane levels for a 200ish Karma per-person game? Or just that people who are into a 2nd+ year of playing in the same game/campaign are just stuck playing at insane levels?

Sphynx

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post Oct 14 2003, 08:04 PM
Post #16

Dragon

QUOTE (Sphynx)
You think these are insane levels for a 200ish Karma per-person game? Or just that people who are into a 2nd+ year of playing in the same game/campaign are just stuck playing at insane levels?

I'd have to say it's more the latter than the former. These guys sound like an appropriately matched threat for your team, which is the heart of what an RPG is all about (appropriate challenges for the PCs to face and overcome/fail to overcome). A lot of people will never, ever, have a character get above 100 karma. I believe I managed 56 karma with my longest running character (a rigger named Apoc) which took over a year of gameplay.

Some games have low karma awards. Some people simply can't stay in a group for 2+ years (I've had periods in my life where that applied to me pretty well). A lot of characters never go that far because they meet whatever goals they had set and retire to live the good life or try something else. It's not that there's anything wrong with playing a game with an average karma of 200 or better, but rather it falls outside of what most people think of when they play SR because it's beyond their experience. I know it's beyond mine (outside of an academic arena, anyway).

From a very real standpoint, getting a runner to live that long is quite a feat. Since lethality rises much faster in SR than PC toughness, most PCs never live that long. There's a reason the average shadowrunner career (and often life expectancy) is 5 years or less.

No one can tell you that you're playing wrong (they can' tell you you're not following the rules, or that what you're doing is not canon, but those two things don't equal wrong, necessarily) because there is no "wrong". There's a reason "in my game" is a very popular caveat around here.

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Oct 14 2003, 08:18 PM
Post #17

Ain Soph Aur

Anyway you play your game in no way affects how I play, so fundamentally I don't really care.

If you have characters powerful enough to take on dragons bare handed and stand a good chance of winning, it sets off my "realism" filter, and since I do what I can to keep the setting believable, there is no way this I'm ever going to let that happen in my games. Shadowrun is not Marvel super-heroes. Yes, admitedly shadowrun characters, with cyberwar and magic, are always superhuman in some way to me and normal people, but there is a line.

As what I think about playing 2 years and reaching 200 karma: yes, characters retire before 200 karma, or, far, far more likely, die. This makes me think you have a GM that doesn't kill characters cause the players wouldn't handle it.

Basically, you're playing in a stratosphere very few people on these boards play. So we can't relate to you. Shit, as far as I can tell, Kagetenshi actually has pretty good suggestions for killing these guys. How should I know? If he was talking about any other game, it'd be obvious he's being ridiculous. But from everything you talk about in your games, using a railgun might very well be a good plan for you guys.

+Quote Post
krishcane
post Oct 14 2003, 08:23 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,784

Sphynx, thanks for sharing the math. I think those are insane levels for 200 karma characters, but it sounds like you're having fun, so I have no criticism.

Our game would go verrrry differently, mainly because our PCs diversify a lot more. This character looks custom-designed for maximum blade dice from the start, and then poured all his efforts into pushing that envelope even further.

I mean, he started the game with 18 dice (27 dice if you count the as-yet-unbonded focus), which is more than our group has ever seen on anything, and then spent the majority of his karma taking it higher and higher. Crazy, man!! I guess he really does one thing and does it well.

So did the player actually roll 40 dice, or did the GM just let him automatically kill whatever he swung at?

I have a new proposal: When a character gets a skill above say 10, we could apply Ship rules. You have "Naval-scale" skill that operates in multiples of 10, so now your sword guy has 4N skill in Edged Weapons. Naval-scale skill just automatically succeeds against "normal" attempts to resist it -- only other naval-scale skills can attempt to do so. :)

--K

+Quote Post
Sphynx
post Oct 14 2003, 08:34 PM
Post #19

Neophyte Runner

I think you mistake the levels of our games. We may be weapons onto ourselves in a sense, but the most powerful ballistic weapon we've ever had the pleasure of holding has been a sniper rifle (we only have one of these bad boys, the 2nd most powerful gun in our group is an Ares Predator).

So, can't really go dropping nukes or anything else, we still have to risk life and limb and do things manually to get anything done. And there's no chance any of us can take a dragon. Just cause one of the players specialized so much that he can roll 40 dice without using Combat Pool doesn't mean we all have, hell, our favorite character has a Force 3 as his highest spell, and minimal combat skills (Eyes on my page, should anyone wonder). My PC, one of the lowest karma characters is the 2nd most powerful IMHO, because I abuse Quickening. Others like our Leader, Skillz, spends ALL his karma on nuyen, buying up skills for his extensive library and cool SOTA gadgets.

Anyhows, that aside, why do characters die so easily? It's a story and good stories don't have the characters dying off regularly. We've ALL lost a character in our 2+ years, I even posted when mine bit the dust and that wasn't but about 6 months ago it seems. We just get to start with half the karma we had on our next character so I had a 75ish karma headstart since I died right at 152 karma last time. It's not that we can't handle dying (though it does suck to die) it's that the story loses something when characters who are a central part of it are toasted, so our GM does go a bit out of the way (secret dice rolls that come up with amazing successes) to keep us alive, even if it means a month or so in a genetherapy fluid to get us back to norm.

Anyhows, not suggesting anyone is wrong/right here, I like how our game goes, and it's hard to imagine the gruesomly realistic (thus deadly) game others play, but those also seem boring to me, since it seems that most people never break out of the hit-the-corp type of game. I'm just surprised that everybody's PC in this 12+ year old game (our game has been going on for over 8 of those years) never get over 50 karma. It's like a D&D game where you never get past 5th level. Then again, I recall hearing there was a Grade-12 Adept on the board once which left me mouth-wide-open in disbelief, so I suppose I sounded like you guys back when I gawked openly at her on these boards. :P

Sphynx

+Quote Post
Sphynx
post Oct 14 2003, 08:41 PM
Post #20

Neophyte Runner

Ack, last post was towards BG, as for KC, he rarely rolls his dice, though he always tries (rolling that many dice is one of his great joys in life ;)). He gets to roll vs the big-cheese types (like the Preacher and any high Force spirit), but he almost HAD to do the specialty, he was the only one who could take on some of those High Force Queens we battled in Chicago due to their Reaction scores. I mean hell, a Force 12 Queen (we fought one of those: Reaction = F*3) has 36 dice to throw, and he was only throwing 36 back then, just knowing that had him stressin on getting more dice (thus his looking into buying the 2nd Weapon Focus). How the GM runs the game is what molds the players as they play I think. Though I doubt we come across anyone with 45 dice again, though I think perhaps this Aleph Society might surprise me there. :P

Sphynx

+Quote Post
Synner
post Oct 14 2003, 08:46 PM
Post #21

Runner

Member No.: 185

QUOTE (TinkerGnome @ Oct 14 2003, 08:04 PM)
No one can tell you that you're playing wrong (they can' tell you you're not following the rules, or that what you're doing is not canon, but those two things don't equal wrong, necessarily) because there is no "wrong".  There's a reason "in my game" is a very popular caveat around here.

Amen to that. As long as neither side expects people to follow their standards there isn't a problem.

I agree with Tinker that most characters I've encountered in my 10+ years as an SR GM retire, die or otherwise abandon the game before hitting the 200 karma mark. In all this time there have been two exceptions and both characters were played for 2+ years - one took out Darke at the end of Harlequin's Back and retired, the other died holding back waves of bugs in a cramped tunnel under Camp Hope so the team could escape.

Some of my best runs and roleplaying moments have been around low karma characters (so I resent your comment Sphynx) or starting characters:
- an entire "save our neighborhood" campaign where the players were lowly gangers, long-retired runners, a convict coming home and a social worker.
- the prison mini-campaign that preceeded the convict above getting out. No gear, no useful cyber, no magic, just their wits.
- a bunch of dejects and burned out runners who accept a virtual suicide mission escorting a truck full of weapons (disguised as medical supplies) for the Resistance on a road trip from Denver to Aztlan just to prove their worth.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Oct 15 2003, 07:52 AM
Post #22

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

jeez. my guy's about 200 karma--some of it bought--and i feel like i'm just keeping my head above water.

+Quote Post
Sphynx
post Oct 15 2003, 09:19 AM
Post #23

Neophyte Runner

MFB: No freakin kiddin. My PC gets shot at so much that despite his Force 5 Armour he's constantly having to use healing magic and Biotech to stay alive. I've got my next 50+ karma planned ahead almost always. That's just "to survive", I can't imagine having to restart everytime I hit 50ish Karma.

Sphynx

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Oct 15 2003, 09:59 PM
Post #24

Beetle Eater

Member No.: 2,826

Slightly back on topic, fighting the Aleph can be tough. The main canon disadvantage is that Gaf proper can't sustain all the members at once. If you can draw out the members and embroil them in a battle, it may leave Gaf in the open for a one time attack.

Have you considered infiltrating the group? Perhaps using influence to submerge the feelings of the spy with some built in condition to remove it. You might be able to make a deal with a gang (the Spiders or Nukes seem likely) to distract the group while you activate the sleeper to help you sneak inside the base of operation and snatch the Book of Gaf (it has to be the bridge or source to the Gaf power) or destroy Gaf before it can switch targets.

Good luck either way.

+Quote Post
Chaos
post Oct 15 2003, 10:49 PM
Post #25

Target

Member No.: 4,844

143 are u kidding Im at 120 somthing and our wecond to last run almost killed me. Im always thinking about what my next 200 karma is gona get me.

as for a challange, never underestimate the power of a fanatical mage with F6 Fireball spell and a belief that if he dies he will get strait to heaven.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:55 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.