Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Security Armor, Bringing it back
Pallantides
post Jun 19 2006, 08:33 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,141

Since the Search function didn't seem to turn up any results, I was wondering if anyone had converted the old SR3 Security Armors over to SR4?

Never having played SR3 myself and only owning the BBB, I eyeballed the stats at 10/12/14 for each Ballistic grade, but overall the armor conversions seem pretty spotty. Does anyone else have anything cooked up?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Jun 19 2006, 08:37 PM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 98

A suit of SR4's "Full Body Armor" and the helmet that goes along with it would be comparable to SR3's "Light Security Armor", in my mind.

+Quote Post
X-Kalibur
post Jun 19 2006, 08:46 PM
Post #3

Runner

Member No.: 8,626

QUOTE (Shrike30)
A suit of SR4's "Full Body Armor" and the helmet that goes along with it would be comparable to SR3's "Light Security Armor", in my mind.

I'd hate to see what kind of numbers they give military grade combat armor then.

+Quote Post
Brahm
post Jun 19 2006, 09:00 PM
Post #4

Shooting Target

Member No.: 8,006

I was guessing it translated roughly to Medium Security Armor, or sitting somewhere between Light and Medium. It has some of the other features of Security Armor such as an optional environmental seal.

+Quote Post
Brahm
post Jun 19 2006, 09:04 PM
Post #5

Shooting Target

QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ Jun 19 2006, 03:46 PM)
QUOTE (Shrike30 @ Jun 19 2006, 03:37 PM)

I'd hate to see what kind of numbers they give military grade combat armor then.

Although the helmet had an extra +1 and the suits had a +1 (+2 for Heavy) over their civy counterparts, by far the biggest difference between Security and Mil Spec was the hardening. I think they could get away with not having any different numbers at all with the suit, just hardening, and maybe an extra +1 on the helmets.

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Jun 19 2006, 09:22 PM
Post #6

Runner

SR2's Milspec was a lot more impressive than SR3's milspec. I was almost sad to see how much they'd been toned down, actually.

SR3's Milspec armor made APDS ammunition pretty much a requirement.

+Quote Post
Pallantides
post Jun 21 2006, 05:39 PM
Post #7

Target

Member No.: 8,141

Hmm, so we're looking at 10/12/14 vs 12/14/16 Ballistic? Sounds good, I'll probably side with the latter.

Milspec maybe 16/18/20 with Hardened?

+Quote Post
Brahm
post Jun 21 2006, 05:45 PM
Post #8

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Pallantides)
Hmm, so we're looking at 10/12/14 vs 12/14/16 Ballistic? Sounds good, I'll probably side with the latter.

Er, no. That's more insane than spirits. :P

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Jun 21 2006, 05:54 PM
Post #9

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

QUOTE (Brahm)
QUOTE (Pallantides @ Jun 21 2006, 12:39 PM)

heck, that's almost as good as citymaster's armor, isn't it? =P

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Jun 21 2006, 06:00 PM
Post #10

Runner

You've got to keep this stuff in perspective with what we're slinging around, don't forget. If nothing else, use the Panther AC as a baseline.

At 10/-5, and figuring in the 1 net success needed to actually hurt something, a PAC reliably punches through 16 points of armor. With 3 net successes, it can do 18, with 5 net successes :eek: it can do 20. Hardening it means anything staged down to stun damage will be ignored.

Heavy milspec armor running 20 Hardened, then, would require 5 sucesses with a PAC to do anything to the wearer (at which point he'd probably nearly fill his condition monitor rolling 15+body against an incoming 15 DV).

Some of the fluff back in... was it Fof?... mentioned they were working towards a powered version of this stuff. If you want to assume that they've managed to pull that off in a light fashion (it's powered enough to assist with it's own weight and allow the user to sling larger weapons), then a PA-Milspec soldier's basic "rifle" might be built on an machinegun frame, probably an MMG or HMG. If memory serves, the MMG profile is 7/-3. Assume APDS ammunition, and figure in that one basic success again, and your performance is nearly the same as the PAC (you're reliably punching through 15 points of armor), except now you've got an autofire option. The PAC would probably become a Designated Marksman's weapon, packing a little more punch but being much more accurate over range than the MMG-rifle carried by most of the people in a squad. Scope it and put a suppressor on it, and you've got a decent, if slow-firing, rifle. Another option would be the WA-2100, loaded with APDS, but IIRC this won't outperform the basic rifle except in fluff terms and max range.

The PAC feels a little gimped this time around. 20 points of hardened armor is going to make someone nearly invulnerable.

My suggestion would be to eliminate the "medium" grade of both kinds of armor. Assuming they're wearing a helmet, FBA gets a user to 12/10 (IIRC). So, Light Sec Armor would be 12/10, Heavy Sec Armor would be 14/12. Light Milspec Armor would be 16/14 Hardened, and Heavy Milspec Armor would be 18/16 hardened.

This is all assuming, of course, that you want people in this kind of armor to be even vaguely killable :P If that's not the case, slap on another point or two of armor and go to town. Or you could keep the medium grades, have Heavy Security and Light Milspec overlapping at 16/14 (with the Light Milspec being Hardened), and have Heavy rolling 20/18 Hardened (and hopefully being used for extremely special applications type stuff :P ). All of these numbers assume helmets.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Jun 21 2006, 06:03 PM
Post #11

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,957

If you want unkillable the safest thing to do is not give stats. Surround them in a protective bubble of plotdevicium.

+Quote Post
Nim
post Jun 21 2006, 06:04 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,681

Just a side point, but I think your numbers are off by 1, Shrike. DV has to actually be ABOVE the rating of hardened armor in order to penetrate, doesn't it? Not just equal?

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Jun 21 2006, 06:20 PM
Post #13

Runner

If that's the case, bump all my required successes by 1 :)

+Quote Post
Brahm
post Jun 21 2006, 06:33 PM
Post #14

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Jaid @ Jun 21 2006, 12:54 PM)
QUOTE (Brahm @ Jun 21 2006, 12:45 PM)
QUOTE (Pallantides @ Jun 21 2006, 12:39 PM)

heck, that's almost as good as citymaster's armor, isn't it? =P

Not almost. ;) Citymaster has Armor 20. With one of those on and a tweaked Body 15 a Troll could basically become a Citymaster (Body 16).

My suggestion would be to eliminate the "medium" grade of both kinds of armor.

That is what I was getting at before when I suggested that Full Body Armor basically was Medium Armor. Although I could also see reduced armor versions being available since it is all custom made items anyway, allowing the environmental seal option for lower Body people. I'd give Mil Spec at most 14/12 and 16/14, or even just the same 12/10 and 14/12 but hardened. Otherwise you are still in the range of man-powered mecha, even if Emo would think man-powered mecha AWESOME. :)

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Jun 21 2006, 07:43 PM
Post #15

Runner

I work under the assumption that military units in environments where you're using Milspec armor load APDS almost exclusively. If it's just a UCAS patrol out there in Armored Jackets with helmets, they might be loading Standard ammo (which would require 3 successes to do Physical damage to someone in similar armor).

APDS in an assault rifle immediately has you penetrating armor 12 with the basic 1 net success. The minute you start talking about putting APDS in sniper rifles or even LMGs, it's not going to matter if your 14 points of armor are Hardened or not. Milspec armor is designed to get hit by milspec ammo... a bunch of gangers spraying hardball-fed Uzi IV's at some UCAS troopers in Milspec should be signing their own death warrants.

If this stuff isn't hardened, then at 16 points of armor it's possible to pummel the wearer into submission by hitting him a number of times, despite the presence of body armor... it basically becomes a glorified suit of Security armor.

This stuff should not be seen on the streets of Seattle unless martial law is declared, and it should not be stuff your runners encounter unless they're in the habit of breaking onto alert-stance military bases and harassing the guards. Security armor would be viewed as being heavy enough for most encounters (I envision SWAT teams as wearing Full Body Armor with helmets, parallel to helmeted LSA, mostly due to it being a little lighter and imposing less of a problem with mobility), with HSA being deployed for groups like riot cops, HTR, and corporate enforcers. LMA would be the thing that elite infantry groups wear into the kind of combat zones where the life expectancy of some squaddie with an Armored Jacket and a helmet is measured in hours. HMA would be special deployment only, difficult to procure, very expensive, but also nearly as good as being in an APC in terms of protection for the wearer.

Like I said, I wouldn't set HMA at 20. 18's a really good, solid number to be sitting on. If you get below 16, pretty much any heavy-caliber weapon loading APDS is going to penetrate the armor simply by hitting it, and the places this armor is designed to go are pretty much full of heavy-caliber weapons.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Jun 21 2006, 07:49 PM
Post #16

Great Dragon

As a clarification (not that I think anyone has mentioned it yet): burst fire does not count when determinging if an attack penetrates armor.

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Jun 21 2006, 07:50 PM
Post #17

Runner

Nah, but it's real good for upping the damage once you've blown through.

Hell, even if you *don't* blow through, putting a 10-round burst from a submachinegun into someone wearing 16 points of non-hardened armor (assume they've got body 5) is going to do 15-(21/3)=8 points of stun, on average (there's a reason I houseruled the armor a bit, but this discussion is RAW). Change that to an assault rifle, and 2 net successes would likely have this character flat on his ass unconcious (6/-2, 17-(19/3)=10.66 points of stun, round to 11, on average).

EDIT: This gets even more ridiculous the minute you load something besides Standard ammo. Assault rifle loading Explosive ammo (not EXEX, just EX) sits at 7/-3. Fire a short burst (the typical "I can hit this guy" burst) and you're looking at doing an average of 4 points of stun with every burst that makes the requisite 1 net success.

This post has been edited by Shrike30: Jun 21 2006, 08:28 PM

+Quote Post
Brahm
post Jun 21 2006, 08:06 PM
Post #18

Shooting Target

The numbers for APDS and Ex-Ex are a whole other ball of stupid.

But that aside Shrike30, drawing from current day realities of military that isn't actually true. The heaviest armor still stops most FMJ rounds from penetrating out past a fairly short distance, but armor piercing certainly isn't the norm for military load outs. Then you are putting them up against taking direct 10 round narrow burst? OMG, no shit they shouldn't be walking away from that.

But just moving past Reality™, it makes thing get really AWESOME (read:stupid) from a gaming point of view to have that sort of super high end armor. That APDS? It might penetrate, but your numbers are still off on damage sponging. Body 5 people aren't going to be wearing 14 Armor because they won't be able to move much less fight. So you are looking at 21 dice minimum.

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Jun 21 2006, 08:25 PM
Post #19

Runner

Body 5 lets you wear up to 10 points of armor without noticeably slowing down. Wearing 14 points of armor incurs a -2 die penalty on a variety of things (as the +2/+2 helmet does not count towards the armor rating for purposes of calculating encumberance).

What I was trying to demonstrate was that someone firing a pistol-caliber weapon on full auto loading normal ammunition was not only capable of putting someone wearing 16 points of unhardened armor flat on his ass, he was probably going to manage to pull it off. Simply swapping to a weapon more likely to be seen in the field (an assault rifle) made it likely that eating that burst would knock the armored target unconcious in one volley, despite not having made it through the armor. I added the "AR short burst of explosive" example to put this in a context people might be more familiar with.

As for AP ammunition not being the norm for military loadouts, we aren't talking about a normal military loadout (which would likely see troopers wearing armored jackets and helmets, like I described). The minute you start talking about sticking people into full body suits that make them look like something out of a sci-fi movie (which certainly matches the few pictures we've got of SR's milspec armor), you're beyond the scope of a normal military deployment.

Shadowrun has stats for jet fighters, t-birds, and (if you duck back into previous versions) aircraft carriers. Putting together stats for the heaviest body armor built to date and having them able to survive a few plinks with an assault rifle, then saying "you should pray to your deity of choice that you never fight someone wearing this unprepared" doesn't sound unreasonable.

Please explain to me where I blew my math on the soaking. I figured in the 1 net hit required to do damage, and the average 3 body/armor = 1 less point of damage... no, wait, I found it. EDIT: no, I didn't find it. Those numbers are correct, as far as I can tell.

This post has been edited by Shrike30: Jun 21 2006, 08:29 PM

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Jun 21 2006, 08:34 PM
Post #20

Runner

As a small addition to that, 7.62x51mm SLAP ammunition and the 5.56x45mm M995 round (with a tungsten carbide penetrator) have been around for a while in US military service. I'm not sure how commonly they're deployed, but I get the impression it's not super-rare.

+Quote Post
Apathy
post Jun 21 2006, 09:13 PM
Post #21

Running Target

Member No.: 6,046

What makes us think that they'd have stuff that was any sturdier than the security teams? Ballistic armor that our soldiers wear today isn't really any better than high-end security armor. Additionally, my [limited] experience has been that the Army has a much more callous perspective about the inevitability of casualties (Can't sue the Army for dangerous/insufficient equipment, but that sort of thing happens in private industry all the time.) At most, I'd think the difference between security and milspec would be the hardening.

Today's armor is much more about blast- and shrapnel protection than stopping bullets. Soldiers are expected to use cover and concealment to avoid the bullets. Additionally, the Army tends to think about the lowest common denominator. 'We can't use armor that's too heavy/restrictive, because the really un-coordinated (low agility) privates won't be able to shoot straight.'

The one exception I could see to this rule would be the uniform for MPs (military police) or other 'occupying forces' in 'hot' zones. They don't get the normal options of hiding and taking cover, and usually aren't using as many active skills (spending most of their time standing around acting as a visual deterrent.) I could see the Army throwing some extra layers on those guys, but still only a few extra points.

+Quote Post
Nim
post Jun 21 2006, 09:34 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,681

The problem with looking at modern-day usage of body armor in the military as a basepoint is that it's in a state of flux. Compare the use of body armor in today's militaries to the usage in the same forces just 20 years ago. My perception, at least, is that is far closer to being standard issue now, where it was used only in special circumstances just a couple decades ago. Keeping that in mind, it seems safe to assume that continuing advances in the state of the art (especially with renewed interest in the entire field right now) will have the situation 20 years from NOW bearing little resemblence to today...either because armor will improve, or because weapons will improve, or both.

There's really no point in guessing based on 'armies today do X'. Probably better to just look at the situation as it's outlined in the book (in terms of the effectiveness of armor versus the weapons of the day, and the cost / disadvantages of using that armor) and go from there. What will win wars best?

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Jun 21 2006, 09:41 PM
Post #23

Runner

QUOTE (Apathy)
What makes us think that they'd have stuff that was any sturdier than the security teams? Ballistic armor that our soldiers wear today isn't really any better than high-end security armor. Additionally, my [limited] experience has been that the Army has a much more callous perspective about the inevitability of casualties (Can't sue the Army for dangerous/insufficient equipment, but that sort of thing happens in private industry all the time.) At most, I'd think the difference between security and milspec would be the hardening.

Previous versions of SR have indicated through fluff, game stats, and pictures that military-grade armor is significantly heavier and better protecting than security-grade armor. SR2's stats for milspec armor, if memory serves, let you get 14 points of ballistic armor (in SR2 terms, as well... we've had Armor Inflation since then) on the high end, whereas security armor went up to something like 8.

Plenty of sources talk about your average grunt wearing an armored jacket and a helmet. This provided nearly as much protection as Light Security Armor in previous editions and implied a much greater level of mobility and much lighter weight. Milspec armor, then, was obviously not intended for basic grunts to wear.

The basis of this in modern armor? Virtually none. Look to a lot of cyberpunk sources for the kind of imagery you should be imagining here.

Security armor is reminiscent of the "shell" armor types worn by police in anime like Bubblegum Crisis, or the plate armor of the Wolf Brigade in Jin Roh, or the kind of armor worn by the Judges in Judge Dredd: obvious plating covering vitals, often styled for intimidation, and some sort of ballistic undergarment providing protection for the rest of your body. Lots of pictures of corporate goons or other big, scary looking guys in SR books are wearing Security armor.

Military armor has always been depicted as being, essentially, a suit of armor. Not a body sheath and plates, not particularly open to the air... a suit, looking a lot like we imagine powered armor might (although they have previously said it isn't powered). Massive heavy plates interlocking over the chest, limbs inside of hard shells with guards protecting the joints, a sealed helmet with environmental systems, strange bugeyes, and some sort of flexible seal that lets it turn at the neck. The eyes probably glow, the armor makes noise when you move in it... it's not subtle, it's just solid. You could probably put the wearer on an airless moon and have him fight in it, or napalm the field he's in the middle of and have him turn up the AC.

It's not that security teams wouldn't necessarily have access to this stuff... it's that security teams don't have a NEED or WANT for this stuff. Security teams rarely find themselves battling a mechanized force in a destroyed city, under heavy shelling for days at a time, or assaulting fortified positions with autocannon and mortar coverage. Security teams talk to people, chase runners down hallways, and have to be able to turn sideways and let someone holding a bunch of photocopies run to the meeting they're late to... while they're well trained and aggressive, turning them into walking, death-dealing humanoid monsters interferes with productivity at the office. Nobody likes walking past a 6'6" hulk of armor with glaring eyes built into it's helmet carring a machine gun down the hallway.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Jun 21 2006, 09:44 PM
Post #24

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

QUOTE (Shrike30)
As a small addition to that, 7.62x51mm SLAP ammunition and the 5.56x45mm M995 round (with a tungsten carbide penetrator) have been around for a while in US military service. I'm not sure how commonly they're deployed, but I get the impression it's not super-rare.

7.62x51mm SLAP ammo is by all accounts extremely rare/simply unavailable, unless you're a Swedish sniper. The 7.62x51mm equivalent of the M995, the M993 tungsten AP rounds, is deployed in number. AFAIK, the M993 can penetrate heaviest common forms of body armor (NIJ level IV), no idea about M995. Either will zip right through any flexible body armor.

In fiscal years 05-07, the US Army procured in the order of 1.4 billion M855 5.56x45mm ball cartridges in commercial packs, clips, linked for SAWs, etc., vs. 15.2 million total M993 AP cartridges. That's 1 5.56x45mm AP for every 100 FMJs. Also, while the FMJ ammunition is justified as a "training standard item used in both training and combat", the AP rounds are "war reserve" only -- although, for whatever reason, an extra $3 million worth of M995 AP rounds were purchased to support the "global war on terrorism" in 2005.

For 7.62x51mm, it's ~280 million M80 ball cartridges vs. 8.7 million M993 AP, and here the AP ammunition is also for "training and combat" instead of being a war reserve item.

In any case, current military small arms armor piercing ammunition is designed and carried for use against light armored targets (like APCs), and certainly not against opponents wearing body armor.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Jun 21 2006, 09:47 PM
Post #25

Great Dragon

AE, where are those numbers from?

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 10:46 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.