Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Knowledge skills, What do you use?
Dv84good
post Jun 19 2006, 10:12 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,213

I am wonder what skills people have use for building their characters such as Faces, Sammies, Hackers, ect., ect.? Also what where your most useful knowledge skill?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Jun 19 2006, 10:40 PM
Post #2

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Group: Admin
Member No.: 7,667

The templates are a good start for this. While they aren't fully tricked out, they do accomplish the basics for which archetype is trying to do. So if you start from scratch and get 80 percent of what the templates have and add a little of your own flavor you won't go too far astray.

With the chargen system you can actually create some amazingly focused or mix and match character types.

+Quote Post
Dv84good
post Jun 19 2006, 10:48 PM
Post #3

Target

Yes I know all that, I am looking to expand on people's own experiences and creativity and make a reference list of the skills.

+Quote Post
Shadowmeet
post Jun 19 2006, 10:56 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,909

A reference list would be pretty useless, as Knowledge skills are as wide open as real life knowledge skills.

Someone could have SR Trivia, or maybe Star Wars Trivia, or Star Trek Trivia. How about Sci-Fi Trivia. You see, you can make then up as broad or as specialized as you want, but it will need to be allowed by the GM.

+Quote Post
Dv84good
post Jun 19 2006, 11:22 PM
Post #5

Target

So you haven't had players in your group wonder what would be a good skill for this character?

+Quote Post
Shadowmeet
post Jun 19 2006, 11:26 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Most players in my group are pretty dern creative. Sometimes too much so. We tend to have too many ideas, not a lack of them.

+Quote Post
Dv84good
post Jun 19 2006, 11:42 PM
Post #7

Target

Thanks for the CONTRIBUTION.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Jun 19 2006, 11:54 PM
Post #8

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,957

The guys in my group like Corporate Security, Law Enforcement Policies, Gangs, and Safehouse Locations.

Safehouse Locations has fallen out of vogue since I explained to them that if a runner can use a skill to find a safe house, the police and corporations can do the same thing. The searchers wouldn't automatically find you, because they know about various safe houses, not necessarily who is using which ones today. But they'd get some bonuses in looking for you.

+Quote Post
Derek
post Jun 20 2006, 12:03 AM
Post #9

Jacked In, Up & Out

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 95

Here's the list for a character of mine from SR3 that I will shortly be trying to recreate in SR4. It's longer than normal, since he has gained some karma, but it should give you an idea of the variety

NOPS Procedures 3
Conspiracy Theories 4
N’Awlins Knowledge 5
Seattle Geography 2
Data Havens 3
Seattle Jackpoints 2
Voodoo Rituals 6
Animal Training (Dogs) 3
Security Network Familiarity 3
Security Decker Procedures 2
Japanese Tourist Culture 2
Aztlan Conspiracies 4
Aztlan Blood Magic 4
UCAS/CAS Geography 3
Cajun Horror Stories 5
Combat Utility Design 3
Operational Utility Design 5
Defense Utility Design 3
Seattle Ork Underground 2
Matrix Architecture 3
Paranormal Animals 3
Matrix Topography 5
Seattle Gang Identification 2

Louie was a ork houngan (voodoo shaman), who used to be a combat decker for a New Orleans NOPS team (equivalent of SWAT) before he crossed the wrong people and had to flee New Orleans and head to Seattle. Most of the Seattle Knowledge was gained after the game started, as well as some others.

+Quote Post
Shadowmeet
post Jun 20 2006, 12:03 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Okay, wise ass.

You want to play, we can play.

Ever thought of picking up the book and reading it. Those funny little markings on the pages are what we humans call writing. If you have a medicore intellect, you can probably decipher some of them. At least I hope you can since you are posting on here. But they say that trained chimps do amazing things these days. One question, though. How'd you get the chimp to agree to live in the trailer park.

Seriously, though, I'm not going to stand here and let you shoot off like that. First you ask a bunch of questions that, while some merit discussion, others are printed in bold face. When confronted, your response is nothing but a "Well I don't have the book so I am not sure?" If you can't shell out the hard earned cash like the rest of us, then you shouldn't expect a contribution. On the other hand, if you shell out the cash, then you can contribute in kind, and expect the same.

Then, your idea of contributing seems to be geared towards a roll-play, rather than a role-play. You seem to be looking to exploit rules. Fine and dandy. At least when you do it, people like Serbitar take it, and make patches.

Your question on knowledge skills may have been geniune, you were offered a good response by Dire Radiant, and you spit on it, and instead want to be some vampiric leech because you seem to have not a grain of creativity yourself.

What I told you was true. Knowledge skills can be varied as the moon and stars. But that doesn't lick your bottom, huh? Fine.

But don't complain about what others contribute if you can't afford to support the game by supporting the company that makes it.

+Quote Post
Dv84good
post Jun 20 2006, 12:04 AM
Post #11

Target

So do they use contacts to locate safe house?

A player I had used safehouse to find a location he could catch his breath after the meet had turned into an ambush and he had to escape.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Jun 20 2006, 01:31 AM
Post #12

Great Dragon

It depends on how mature the group is (characters, not players). Newer characters find them through fixers, sometimes with the skill. More settled characters usually end up having safehouses of their own set aside.

+Quote Post
Dv84good
post Jun 20 2006, 02:54 AM
Post #13

Target

Thanks, Derek

Shadowmeet I was not spit on dire all I said was I already know that and want to know how people how expand on that. As far as roll-playing goes the point is that flaw and how to control. In regard to the book does every player need a book no. If you haven't notice there's a little problem with the environment but I supppose one book doesn't make a difference does shadowmeet.

Oh, yeah! I forgot to thank you for calling me a chimp. Chimpanzee is wise enough not to destroy their livelihood. Caribuo!

+Quote Post
Shadowmeet
post Jun 20 2006, 02:43 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

QUOTE (Dv84good)
Thanks, Derek

Shadowmeet I was not spit on dire all I said was I already know that and want to know how people how expand on that. As far as roll-playing goes the point is that flaw and how to control. In regard to the book does every player need a book no. If you haven't notice there's a little problem with the environment but I supppose one book doesn't make a difference does shadowmeet.

Oh, yeah! I forgot to thank you for calling me a chimp. Chimpanzee is wise enough not to destroy their livelihood. Caribuo!

As far as a book, yes, it is my opinion that every player does need one. If you are concerned with the enviroment, buy the .pdf. Don't drive. Don't use electricity. Don't buy anything. Raise your own sheep, cows, goats, chickens, vegetables, and learn to live off the land, and to replenish it. Plant some dern trees.

And, no, I never called you a chimp. I asked how you got the trained chimp to agree to live in the trailer park.

As for calling me a Caribou, I've been called worse, and sometimes by my wife. It's not really going to make me sweat if you call me it.

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Jun 20 2006, 03:41 PM
Post #15

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Group: Admin
Member No.: 7,667

QUOTE (Dv84good)
Yes I know all that, I am looking to expand on people's own experiences and creativity and make a reference list of the skills.

So what you really want to know is "Hey, what cool knowledge skills have you seen people have and use in your games?"

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Jun 20 2006, 03:46 PM
Post #16

Great Dragon

Which is what he said in the opening pozt.

+Quote Post
Shadowmeet
post Jun 20 2006, 03:56 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

In his pidgin english way, yes, that is what he said.

However, read literally, it asks what are good skills to build a character with, which Dires comment was appropriate for. It then asks what your most useful knowledge skill is, which is vastly different from "Hey, what cool knowledge skills have you seen people have and use in your games?"

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Jun 20 2006, 04:00 PM
Post #18

Great Dragon

Without knowing his natonality it's hard to tell whether his english is poor for a native speaker or advanced for someone using it as a second language.

I understood his posts. At no point does he ask "what is in the book?" He asks for personal accounts of characters, not to be directed at the example characters.

His response to Dire Radiant seems perfectly fine to me. It certainly doesn't deserve being likened to a monkey. Perhaps your elitism is at fault and not his writing style?

+Quote Post
Shadowmeet
post Jun 20 2006, 04:09 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

QUOTE (James McMurray)
Without knowing his natonality it's hard to tell whether his english is poor for a native speaker or advanced for someone using it as a second language.

I understood his posts. At no point does he ask "what is in the book?" He asks for personal accounts of characters, not to be directed at the example characters.

His response to Dire Radiant seems perfectly fine to me. It certainly doesn't deserve being likened to a monkey. Perhaps your elitism is at fault and not his writing style?

James,

I did not liken him to a monkey. Nor did I liken his post to that of a monkey. I said he needed to read the book. I stated that even a mediocre intellect could do it. I stated that trained monkeys do amazing things these days.

I am an elitist. I believe that you should put money into the company to support the games you love. It's why I own just about ever SR book I've ever been able to lay my hands on.

I believe that if you are not willing to put out the cash for the book because it is harmful to the enviroment, maybe you should buy the .pdf file.

I believe that the simple parting of yourself from 15-35 dollars brings you into my elite little club.

And not to go all schoolyard on you, but he was being a wise ass first. My comment about the fact that a list would be useless due to the ease of making Knowledge skills, and the massive variety available was meant to be helpful, in my own special way.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Jun 20 2006, 04:17 PM
Post #20

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Shadowmeet @ Jun 20 2006, 11:09 AM)

I did not liken him to a monkey. Nor did I liken his post to that of a monkey. I said he needed to read the book. I stated that even a mediocre intellect could do it. I stated that trained monkeys do amazing things these days.

You can say you didn't liken him to a monkey, but the wording and context puts the lie to that statement. Perhaps you didn't mean to do it (I assume you did), but you most definitely did.

I am an elitist. I believe that you should put money into the company to support the games you love. It's why I own just about ever SR book I've ever been able to lay my hands on.

So people without tons of disposable income shouldn't be allowed to game?

I believe that the simple parting of yourself from 15-35 dollars brings you into my elite little club.

that's all well and good, except that not everyone has 15-35 dollars to part with. Some groups, especially high school and college ones, have a system where one or two people buy each book that comes out and those books are then apssed around. Do those people not deserve to game because they don't fit your ideal?

And not to go all schoolyard on you, but he was being a wise ass first. My comment about the fact that a list would be useless due to the ease of making Knowledge skills, and the massive variety available was meant to be helpful, in my own special way.

You may have read it that way, but it's a lot less obvious than your monkey comparison. Saying that he knows what is in the book isn't being a wise ass. Following that up with a clarification of what his original post meant is not being a wise ass.

in my own special way.

By that you of course mean "in my wise ass elitist hypocritical way."

+Quote Post
Shadowmeet
post Jun 20 2006, 04:54 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

You can say you didn't liken him to a monkey, but the wording and context puts the lie to that statement. Perhaps you didn't mean to do it (I assume you did), but you most definitely did.

Again, I did not liken him to a monkey. I likened him to someone who may need a trained monkey to read to him. So, no, it was not my intention to liken him to a monkey, but rather state that he should be able to read the book, barring needing a trained monkey to read for him. Yes, I was being rude, crude, and socially unacceptable, but I get that way when someone is rude to me first. And yes, I have a temper that goes overboard. That's one of my flaws.

So people without tons of disposable income shouldn't be allowed to game?

Tons of disposable income? I said "I" get those books. All I require someone else have is the main book.

that's all well and good, except that not everyone has 15-35 dollars to part with. Some groups, especially high school and college ones, have a system where one or two people buy each book that comes out and those books are then apssed around. Do those people not deserve to game because they don't fit your ideal?

In high school and college, I bought all my books. I worked two or three jobs at times, but I bought them. Someone can scrimp and save, and get what they want badly enough. Considering I gamed at the time 3 or more times a week, I felt it was a proper investment. I did not buy technology. I lived on rice, ramen, and beans. Thge point is, if you want it, you can get it.

You may have read it that way, but it's a lot less obvious than your monkey comparison. Saying that he knows what is in the book isn't being a wise ass. Following that up with a clarification of what his original post meant is not being a wise ass.

You are right, he was just posting clarification. See?

Oh, wait, that's not clarification.

in my own special way.

By that you of course mean "in my wise ass elitist hypocritical way."

No, my own special way means that I may say I think something would be useless, but you are more than welcome to prove me wrong. I've been proven wrong before. I'll be proven wrong again. But I've got to fight when my blood boils, and I've got to respond when pricked.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Jun 20 2006, 04:59 PM
Post #22

Great Dragon

Eating rice and ramen is something I've had to do just because I was broke, not because I wanted gaming books. At those times every ounce of energy I had was put towards just scraping by. Luckily I didn't game with you then, because I had real friends who understood my position and let me borrow their books.

Oh, wait, that's not clarification.

No, it isn't. It's a response to someone who started the "be rude to each other process."

Insecure little children (regardless of age) like hide behind what they like to claim is the moral high ground when all they're really doing is bullying. Posts meant to bolster self-image by knocking others down aren't worth the ones and zeros they're made of.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Jun 20 2006, 05:04 PM
Post #23

Great Dragon

I should probably clarif that I'm giving you a hard time not because I think you'll admit you're wrong. Fools never admit they're wrong. I'm giving you a hard time because that's what I do to people with misguided attacks on others. I like poking stupid cows with sticks.

+Quote Post
Shadowmeet
post Jun 20 2006, 05:20 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

I was not being rude in my first two posts. I was answering honestly. If you took it as such, it's your damn problem.

James, you can believe whatever the hell you want. You can believe I am an ass. You can believe I am no ones real friend. You can believe that you've had a harder life than me. You can believe all of that, and none of it is necessarily true. But it's your damned belief.

Just because my first two posts weren't what he wanted to hear, he lashed out, however slight you think it was. But you think I started it. Fine. But if I recall, you've posted things to other peoples posts that may not have been what someone wanted to hear either, but it was your valid opinion.

But, whatever you think is what you think. Think I am an ass, or not. It only changes your reality, not mine.

+Quote Post
X-Kalibur
post Jun 20 2006, 05:22 PM
Post #25

Runner

Member No.: 8,626

QUOTE (Shadowmeet)
I was not being rude in my first two posts. I was answering honestly. If you took it as such, it's your damn problem.

James, you can believe whatever the hell you want. You can believe I am an ass. You can believe I am no ones real friend. You can believe that you've had a harder life than me. You can believe all of that, and none of it is necessarily true. But it's your damned belief.

Just because my first two posts weren't what he wanted to hear, he lashed out, however slight you think it was. But you think I started it. Fine. But if I recall, you've posted things to other peoples posts that may not have been what someone wanted to hear either, but it was your valid opinion.

But, whatever you think is what you think. Think I am an ass, or not. It only changes your reality, not mine.

And yet who is lashing out now... hmmm

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 05:08 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.