Reply to this topicStart new topic
> some newbie questions
Abbandon
post Jun 20 2006, 03:58 AM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,716

Im trying to make myself a cheat sheet for shadowrun with all the frequent common test forumula's and stuff and so im having to scan through the rules again and i found some things that are confusing to me.

Vehicle Combat:

#1. 1 vehicle turn = 20 combat turns?? That doesnt seem right. I mean the people and the vehicles would be blown to hell and back by the time vehicles got to turn 2. And it would take 60 combat turns to make a clean get away ??? lol no way.

#2. Chase stunt: CUT OFF. Make an opposed vehicle test. The loser makes another vehicle test to avoid crashing with the net hits from THIS test serving as a negative modifier.

A negative modifier to what?? Are they talking about the net hits from the first opposed test?? Or the net hits generated from trying to avoid a crash. And if they are takling about the one to avoid a crash what the hell would you need the net hits for??

#3. When two cars ram each other everyone in both vehicles take ram damage??
Or do the people in the attacking vehicle take half the ram damage like their vehicle resisted with body+ half of their impact armor+vehicle armor?, while the people in the target vehichle take the whole thing and resist with body+ half impact armor+vehichle armor??

#4. Astral Combat. In the rules it says that atral combat = Astral Combat + Willpower. But the mental attribute for agility = logic.

Normal melee combat = agility + combat skill. So why would it be willpower + astral combat when willpower = body..........oh i think i understand now.....

Mage vs physical spirit = physcial attributes
Astral Percieving Mage vs pure astral form = willpower+astral combat
Astral PROJECTING mage vs astral form = Logic + astral combat ????

So a projecting mage can attack characters/creatures who are percieving but not ones who are totally physical? And they would use Logic + astral combat ??

CRAP now im even more confused!!

Mage vs physical spirit = physical attributes
Percieving mage vs pure astral form = willpower +astral (broken??)
Projecting Mage vs astral form = logic + astral combat

NOW, if a mage who is astral manifests (which they say is the same thing as percieving when in the meat) they cant affect the physical. And yet a mage who is in the flesh percieving can hurt them??? Thats a stupid double standard???

If your not gonna let mages beat people up while they are manifested then why do mages who are percieving get to beat up astral entities?

Thanx for any help =)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Jun 20 2006, 04:23 AM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 98

Vehicle combat turns and personal combat turns don't overlap. You either use one or the other. If there's people on the ground fighting in 3 second increments, you don't use the chase rules at all.

Astrally percieving mages are dual natured... they exist on both planes. Astrally projecting mages who have manifested are visible on the real plane, but they don't actually exist on it (think ghosts). Now, if they could MATERIALIZE, they'd be able to do it... but then they'd be dual-natured again (and what about their meatbod?).

+Quote Post
Nim
post Jun 20 2006, 04:53 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,681

QUOTE (Abbandon)

#2. Chase stunt: CUT OFF. Make an opposed vehicle test. The loser makes another vehicle test to avoid crashing with the net hits from THIS test serving as a negative modifier.

A negative modifier to what?? Are they talking about the net hits from the first opposed test?? Or the net hits generated from trying to avoid a crash. And if they are takling about the one to avoid a crash what the hell would you need the net hits for??

Make an opposed vehicle test. The loser then makes a crash test, with a penalty equal to the number of hits by which they lost the first test.

In other words - I cut you off. You try to evade. If I roll better, you're in danger of crashing...and the better I rolled (the more expertly I cut you off) the harder it is for you to save yourself.

+Quote Post
Abbandon
post Jun 20 2006, 08:16 AM
Post #4

Shooting Target

Ok thats what i thought they meant logically but they worded it funny. Now who can answer #3 !!

Just to clarify, two cars in a pursuit chase loaded up with people shooting at each other only take vehicle turns?? You do NOT roll for individual intiatives?? When its one cars turn everybody in that car takes a turn??

Lets say they just said that 1 vehicle turn = 20 combat turns to show the difference in time.....Why would a team of shadowrunners get to take 20 turns fighting some gaurds inside a warehouse on the far side of seattle while a rigger gets to take one turn while he tries to evade a police drone that is chasing him??

Why would that same thing not happen if the team of runners were in the back of the van ?

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Jun 20 2006, 09:41 AM
Post #5

Runner

You do not use combat turns and chase turns simultaneously. The two are not meant to interact with each other.

+Quote Post
Abbandon
post Jun 20 2006, 08:47 PM
Post #6

Shooting Target

Your puny logic and common sense can not penetrate my brain hahaha!! Try again.

So then when its a vehicles turn everyone in that car can take actions??

Ok maybe im asking in the wrong way. WHEN do the people in a vehicle attack ??

And nobody has answered my question about ramming damage on passengers.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Jun 20 2006, 08:51 PM
Post #7

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,957

Roll initiative as normal for vehicle turns. Car maneuvers are performed on drivers' init passes. Everyone else takes their actions on their own passes.

The primary differences between chase combat and normal combat are

1) length of turn
2) vehicles set the range of combat at the start of each turn
3) maneuvers available to drivers

Don't forget the penalty for firing from a moving vehicle.

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Jun 20 2006, 10:09 PM
Post #8

Runner

If you've got a mixed combat (some people on the ground, some people in cars, life is busy and complicated) then you use the normal combat system. Both the people on the ground and the people in the cars use the 3 second time increment, and the vehicles maneuver using the rules for vehicles in combat.

If the only participants in the combat are in vehicles, chasing each other all over town and shooting out of the car at each other, it's recommended that you use the vehicle chase rules, as they're built for that specific situation. These rules are highly abstracted and meant to make car chases smoother.

+Quote Post
Abbandon
post Jun 21 2006, 12:55 AM
Post #9

Shooting Target

Fill in the gaps for me........

Car A has 4 passengers.
Car B has 2 passangers.

Car A successfully rams Car B.

Car A makes a damage resistance test against half the damage it inflicted.
Car A's driver makes a vehicle test with threshold of 2
Car A's passengers make a damage resistance test against ???? (or do they?)

Car B makes a damage resistence test against the full damage.
Car B's driver makes a vehicle test with a threshold of 3
Car B's passengers make a damage resistance test against ??????

Car A and B's passengers use Body+half impact armor + vehicle armor to resist the damage ??

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 02:54 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.