Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Recommend Me Some Shadowrun Fiction
Dewar
post Jun 20 2006, 08:23 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,590

I picked up a Shadowrun book from the library for super cheap and liked what I read. I want to buy more, but don't know where to start. Any recommendations?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
NightmareX
post Jun 20 2006, 09:01 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,687

Most of the novels are pretty good with the notable exceptions of Shadowboxer and The Forever Drug. :P I'd have to say the best SR novels are (in order) are 2XS, Burning Bright, and Black Madonna. The Secrets of Power trilogy is also very good, as are Into the Shadows and Wolf & Raven.

+Quote Post
Glorian
post Jun 20 2006, 10:59 AM
Post #3

Target

Member No.: 8,597

My favorites are the two short story anthologies, Into the Shadows and Wolf and Raven. Into the Shadows is particularly good to get an idea of what a shadowrun is like and the effects a shadowrun can have. Tom Dowd's books, Burning Bright and Night's Pawn are also good, but they're about movers and shakers of the world. I also recommend Nigel Findley's books, 2XS, Shadowplay, House of the Sun, and Lone Wolf.

I really didn't like Black Madonna, when I first read it, and I like it even less now because of all the Dan Brown nonsense.

+Quote Post
2bit
post Jun 20 2006, 07:06 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,526

I havent read many but I hated books by Nyx Smith (Striper Assassin). Into the Shadows was cool and I dug Preying for Keeps. And some others, but those stood out.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Jun 20 2006, 07:08 PM
Post #5

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,957

Definitely 2XS and the Secrets to Power trilogy. The first was the opening trilogy to the world of SR novels and makes for an excellent introduction to the world. The second is only a vague haze in my hole-filled memory but I do remember comparing some of the other books I read to it later and finding them wanting.

+Quote Post
HMHVV Hunter
post Jun 20 2006, 07:46 PM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 2,840

2XS is one of the best SR novels ever released. I also liked Night's Pawn.

If I were you, I'd avoid Mel Odom ("Run Hard, Die Fast" and "Preying for Keeps"). IMO, he doesn't know how to make a book interesting.

+Quote Post
Eldritch
post Jun 20 2006, 10:41 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,139

I'd throw out a counter vote for Mel Odom's books; Preying for keeps and Head hunters. Those are a couple of good SR books. One of my other favs is Burning Bright.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Jun 20 2006, 10:49 PM
Post #8

Great Dragon

Oh yeah, Night's Pawn was good.

I don't remember which book it was that had Leonardo in it (Black Madonna?) but if you're into immortal elves it's a good read. If you're one of the people that prefer to ignore that side of shadowrun then avoid it like the plague.

+Quote Post
HMHVV Hunter
post Jun 21 2006, 05:32 AM
Post #9

Running Target

I'd also like to vote for "Into the Shadows." It's an anthology of short stories that serves as a great intro for the beginning SR reader.

+Quote Post
SuperFly
post Jun 21 2006, 06:59 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,132

Definately the 'Secrets of Power' trilogy (Never Deal with a Dragon/Choose Your Enemies Carefully/Find Your Own Truth), '2XS', and 'Into the Shadows'...Basically what everyone else is saying.

Avoid Lisa Smedman, Marc Gascogne(sp?), or Nyx Smith at all costs.

+Quote Post
HMHVV Hunter
post Jun 21 2006, 07:15 AM
Post #11

Running Target

Actually, I did like Lisa Smedman's "Bloodsport" for the incredible detail she put into the descriptions without slowing things down. I swear, it felt like I was watching a movie in my head - I remember during some gory scenes, closing my eyes to shut the images off, only to realize that they were in my head and couldn't be shut off. THAT is the sign of some good writing, to me.

+Quote Post
SuperFly
post Jun 21 2006, 07:24 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,132

QUOTE (HMHVV Hunter @ Jun 21 2006, 02:15 AM)
Actually, I did like Lisa Smedman's "Bloodsport" for the incredible detail she put into the descriptions without slowing things down.  I swear, it felt like I was watching a movie in my head - I remember during some gory scenes, closing my eyes to shut the images off, only to realize that they were in my head and couldn't be shut off.  THAT is the sign of some good writing, to me.

Was that the one set in Aztlan? If so, I'd say it was her best, but still nothing to write home to mom about. I own every one of the english novels and have read them all up to "Lucifer Deck", which was so much garbage that I couldn't finish it and haven't read (but have bought) another SR novel since.

+Quote Post
Anythingforenoug...
post Jun 21 2006, 08:16 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,054

This will probably generate quite a bit of heat, but I really liked Dead Air. It's a really good example, in my opinion, of Shadowrun that does not involve the core concept, of the hard core cyberpunk runner crew.

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Jun 21 2006, 02:34 PM
Post #14

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,760

Not shadowrun but cyberpunk, I'd HIGHLY recommend finding Dogfight, a short story and part of the Burning Chrome anthology. With a little looking you can find it online (or I can find it for you, if you ask nicely enough). Also, anything by Bruce Sterling.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Jun 21 2006, 02:43 PM
Post #15

Great Dragon

Also not shadowrun, but Steve Perry's Matador novels are good examples of sci fi and have a shadowrunesque theme to them: a small group of well trained operatives against The Man.

+Quote Post
jklst14
post Jun 21 2006, 03:16 PM
Post #16

CosaNostra Deliverator

Member No.: 7,034

These aren't Shadowrun but I recommend looking at:

Burn by Jonathan Lyons
Most of Neal Stephenson's books
The Transmetropolitan series by Warren Ellis
The Takeshi Kovacs novels by Richard K Morgan
The Marid Audran/Budayeen books by George Alec Effinger

+Quote Post
Glorian
post Jun 21 2006, 04:39 PM
Post #17

Target

Well, if we're going to open this to beyond the Shadowrun-branded novels, I have to second the late George Alec Effinger's Buyadeen books, When Gravity Fails, Fire in the Sun, The Exile Kiss, and Buyadeen Nights. They're among my favorite books and I'm sure that anyone who liked 2XS would like them too. The definitive book for riggers is Walter Jon Williams' Hardwired. It's excellent for other reasons too, but it's the best description of what it is like to have kerosene running through your veins. You can read a non-rigging excerpt online. The sequels, Voice of the Whirlwind and Angel Station, are still good, but are in a future past cyberpunk. To get an idea of rockers and simsense/BTL abuse, I would recommend Norman Spinrad's Little Heroes. There's also John Shirley's Eclipse Trilogy, Eclipse, Eclipse Corona, and Eclipse Penumbra.

+Quote Post
JesterX
post Jun 21 2006, 05:13 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,390

Psychotrope is one of my favorite SR novel.

So are Burning Bright and Night's Pawn.

+Quote Post
HMHVV Hunter
post Jun 21 2006, 08:07 PM
Post #19

Running Target

I completely forgot about Psychotrope. That's another good one - very trippy and out of the ordinary for SR, but good.

+Quote Post
mintcar
post Jun 21 2006, 09:35 PM
Post #20

Karma Police

Member No.: 6,505

I recommend you pick up Richard Morgan's Altered Carbon instead of the SR novels. Licensed SR novels just can't compete to original fiction from a good author. I still enjoy reading SR novels though, but I wouldn't say any of them are must-reads. My absolute favourite is Findley. His books comes a bit closer than the others to having some value beyond the fan community.

+Quote Post
jklst14
post Jun 21 2006, 10:40 PM
Post #21

CosaNostra Deliverator

Member No.: 7,034

QUOTE (mintcar)
Richard Morgan's Altered Carbon

Mintcar: I'm a big fan of the Takeshi Kovacs novels and have been looking for something similar. Any suggestions?

+Quote Post
JM Hardy
post Jun 22 2006, 12:26 AM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,392

QUOTE (mintcar)
Licensed SR novels just can't compete to original fiction from a good author.

[ScottishBrogue] Ach, sir! I'm standin' right here! [/ScottishBrogue]

+Quote Post
Ta'al
post Jun 22 2006, 02:48 AM
Post #23

Target

Member No.: 8,308

The BEST Shadowrun Fanfiction you will ever read (IMHO) is Shapcano's series, URL below:

http://www.shapcano.com/

Find the three full novel length fanfics Inheritence, Demands and Debts and read them! They star the most fascinating and compelling Physical Adept ever: Owen Glendower AKA Grey AKA Glndwyr (I'll leave you to discover where the names originate) and in the latter books, his team the Lost Boys.

The plot is varied, exciting and unusual; the dialogue and character development insiring and the combat scenes refreshingly accurate, in both martial arts terminology (I swear the author must be a student of this subject and Japanese, or else his wiki-fu is just very strong :) and the sheer deadliness of real combat. No, 'oh look, I just took a Panther round at point blank in the left testicle, oh well'.

You will not regret reading this fanfic, I know I haven't, and then you can join the crowd in bugging Shapcano for a fourth book.

Another good, but unfortunately currently unfinished SR fanfic is 'Clever Hans' by S'Tar'Kan, URL below:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2559477/1/

check these out. all of you.

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Jun 22 2006, 11:42 PM
Post #24

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,383

Hmm, was The Terminus Experiment the one with cybered vampires and lesbians? If so, I think you should read that one, because it has lesbians.

+Quote Post
Glorian
post Jun 23 2006, 12:59 AM
Post #25

Target

Yes, the Terminus Experiment had lesbians, one of them an elf, as well as a stripper, and a sex scene. However, I can't recall any brown nipples.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 08:52 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.