Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fanning the hammer
Protagonist
post Jun 20 2006, 05:26 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,459

Anyone know if there has been any rules anywhere for fanning the hammer of an old single action pistol anywhere? Obviously not too hard to make them up, but I'm curious if they've been printed.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Toptomcat
post Jun 20 2006, 05:31 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,112

Not that I know of...

+Quote Post
Foreigner
post Jun 20 2006, 05:36 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,630

Protagonist:

I'm not a GM, but I would think that fanning a single-action revolver would fall under the same rules as firing a burst-fire-capable semiautomatic pistol (i.e., a Savalette Guardian) in burst-fire mode.

That is, it'd be faster than normal, but less accurate.

At very close range, i.e. pointblank to short, it would be devastating, but only against a single target.

That stuff in the movies about a guy taking down three or more adversaries in that fashion just wouldn't happen.

IRL, fanning only wastes ammunition, unless you're firing at something incapable of shooting back.

For example, check out this Website:

Bob Munden: The Fastest Gun Alive

The gentleman in question can fire 5 rounds from a Colt single-action in under one-quarter of a second.

--Foreigner

+Quote Post
Protagonist
post Jun 20 2006, 05:50 PM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 8,459

Yeah, that's pretty much exactly what I was thinking.

And DAMN. That guy's speed is insane!

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Jun 20 2006, 06:18 PM
Post #5

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

Yeah, the standard simple action shot assumes a certain amount of aiming. I've always felt there should be a mechanic for aimless trigger pulling. Whenever I've had to resolve this I've picked a number of rounds that seemed reasonable, allowed them to squeeze it off, and treated it similar to surpressive fire.

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Jun 20 2006, 06:20 PM
Post #6

Runner

Member No.: 98

A suggestion for a rule would be to apply a -2 to start (for firing from the hip, not the most stable of positions), and then allow the character to fire, as a complex action, a wide burst with a number of rounds in it equal to his skill.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Jun 20 2006, 06:31 PM
Post #7

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

Hey, I like that.

+Quote Post
Foreigner
post Jun 20 2006, 08:56 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,630

Protagonist:

I remember reading an article about Munden once.

Seems he continually confounds reflexologists because he apparently is GAINING speed as he ages (he was born in 1942, and has held one record or another since he started competing at 11 or 12 years of age), rather than LOSING it, which is the norm.

Also, in reference to exactly how fast he is, the same article said that it takes approximately fifteen-one-hundredths of one second (0.15 second) for the average person to BLINK.

--Foreigner

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 10:20 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.