IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Drones... Drones... and more Drones..., Ok... i'm a Rigger newbie...
DgrenJ
post Jun 20 2006, 06:08 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,737

Some Drones can have multiple weapon mounts...

Can the Drone and/or Rigger fire multiple weapons at the same time?

If so, does Recoil from multiple weapons effect each other?

Do the weapon mounts compensate for any recoil aside what the weapon already compensates for? (i.e. Would a weapon mount count as something similiar to a tri-pod and add an additional 6 Recoil Compensation?

How many Autosofts can be equiped to a drone?

- DgrenJ
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Toptomcat
post Jun 20 2006, 06:45 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,112

Many of the more-detailed questions about vehicles and drones, including some of these, will go unanswered until Arsenal's release.
In SR3, the answers to your first three questions questions are:

No, unless multiple missiles and Launch Control Systems are involved.

Not applicable- see above.

No.

+Quote Post
Shadowmeet
post Jun 20 2006, 06:51 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,909

QUOTE (DgrenJ)
Some Drones can have multiple weapon mounts...

Can the Drone and/or Rigger fire multiple weapons at the same time?

If so, does Recoil from multiple weapons effect each other?

Do the weapon mounts compensate for any recoil aside what the weapon already compensates for? (i.e. Would a weapon mount count as something similiar to a tri-pod and add an additional 6 Recoil Compensation?

How many Autosofts can be equiped to a drone?

- DgrenJ

Some of these answers are speculative, but I'll try.

1. I don't have an answer for this yet, but I would say no. In modern warfare, soldiers tend to have responsability of a single weapon for gunnery purposes. This is not so much because of the inability to activate several weapons, but the ability to track your foes and friendlies.

2. I would assume yes. If a weapon is attached to a hardpoint, and recoils enough to alter the outcome of the shot, then multiple weapons would do more. Much like a player with two guns.

3. As far as I am aware, not at this time. Though there might be new rules for that eventually as well.

4. I do not recall, but I thought that it was in the book. Unfortunately, mine is at home, and I am at work.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Jun 20 2006, 07:00 PM
Post #4

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,957

The only answers we have for sure now are

3) No, the mount provides no recoil bonuses. It does negate the penalties for firing from a moving vehicle, which is a hefty -5 IIRC.

4) Autosofts are programs, and so are limited by the system attribute of the drone (which is usually 3, again IIRC).

+Quote Post
Glayvin34
post Jun 20 2006, 07:06 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,275

Page 239 of the Good Book, the Arm Weapon System Action:

Arm/Disarm a Weapon System (Free)
A rigger may order a single drone to arm or disarm one of its weapon systems. A drone may have only one weapon system armed at any one time. Switching weapon systems, however, only requires one Free Action.

+Quote Post
Glayvin34
post Jun 20 2006, 07:08 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,275

Oh, and Autosofts are more like, well, softs, than programs. Like knowsofts, mapsofts, skillsofts and linguasofts, they don't affect response.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Jun 20 2006, 07:12 PM
Post #7

Great Dragon

Do you have a source for that? If not, there's nothing that would stop them from acting like all other programs.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Jun 20 2006, 07:43 PM
Post #8

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

QUOTE (Shadowmeet)
In modern warfare, soldiers tend to have responsability of a single weapon for gunnery purposes. This is not so much because of the inability to activate several weapons, but the ability to track your foes and friendlies.

RL logic won't work too well here. :)

In modern warfare, it is true that a single soldier would rarely fire several weapon systems mounted on vehicles at the same time. Of course, a single weapon system (again, IRL) can consist of, say, several linked autocannons or machine guns that fire at the same target -- for example in aircraft carrying gun pods or many AAA platforms. Or consider fighter aircraft MGs/ACs until the 70s.

(Semi-)autonomous vehicle systems can fire several weapons at separate targets at the same time, though. These would usually be missiles (and handled in SR3 with the Launch Control Systems, which was a really stupid rule) IRL, but might as well be cannons. 25-year-old (that's 90 years old in 2070) aircraft fire control systems can track and engage several targets at the same time.

+Quote Post
HappyDaze
post Jun 20 2006, 11:14 PM
Post #9

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,669

For maximun firepower, couldn't you make each weapon mount a drone in it's own right?

If I have a vehicle with three turrets - don't try to visualize - couldn't it essentially be the same as having three Dobermans immobilized and hard-mounted on the thing?

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Jun 20 2006, 11:16 PM
Post #10

Great Dragon

Yep.

+Quote Post
Lagomorph
post Jun 21 2006, 12:11 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,832

In our group, we house ruled that vehicle mounts give RC as a tripod (-6). but there's nothing in the rules that say thats the case, only logic.

+Quote Post
Grogs
post Jun 21 2006, 12:20 AM
Post #12

Target

Member No.: 8,643

QUOTE (HappyDaze)
For maximun firepower, couldn't you make each weapon mount a drone in it's own right?

If I have a vehicle with three turrets - don't try to visualize - couldn't it essentially be the same as having three Dobermans immobilized and hard-mounted on the thing?

Ya know, the really sad thing about that scenario is that actually buying 3 dobermans and mounting them on there wouldn't cost much more than buying 3 weapons mounts. And of course the dobermans come with targeting software, so you wouldn't even need the gunnery skill. Course it may be a little tougher to talk your way out of if you get pulled over by the star.

+Quote Post
HappyDaze
post Jun 21 2006, 01:40 AM
Post #13

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,669

So, does that mean it's a good idea?

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Jun 21 2006, 02:05 AM
Post #14

Great Dragon

That depends on how stealthy you want to be.

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Jun 21 2006, 05:00 AM
Post #15

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

QUOTE (HappyDaze)
So, does that mean it's a good idea?

smart firing platforms are cheaper.

keeping in mind there's nothing that says you can't put accessories on the guns you mount on a vehicle, RAW you can put any gun that can receive accessories on the underside into a smart firing platform to simulate an automated turret.

don't forget to share sensor information! and the main body should be going full defense the first two rounds, and making the vehicle test in the last one ;)

well, maybe the very first round, it does a teamwork sensor test actually... but otherwise, that should be your pattern =D

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:36 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.