IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Permanent Essence loss reference?, Does anyone have a canonical citation?
Velocity
post Oct 14 2003, 09:41 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,029

When Essence is lost due to cyberware implantation, the consensus here on Dumpshock seems to be that it never returns. In other words, if a character installs a smartlink (0.5 Essence) and then removes it six months later, their Essence remains 5.5 and does not bounce back up to 6. I've looked through the BBB, but I can't find any support for this. I also can't find any support for the opposing point (i.e. that Essence does return when cyberware is removed).

I'd like to clarify the issue for myself: is there canonical information germane to this and if so, could someone provide me with a page reference? Thanks in advance.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post Oct 14 2003, 09:48 PM
Post #2

Dragon

Member No.: 4,706

QUOTE (Man and Machine @ page 147)
Remove Cyberware
Cyberware that is removed does not restore the character's lost Essence.

You also don't get back Bio Index (p. 148).

+Quote Post
Velocity
post Oct 14 2003, 09:54 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Ah, many thanks TG! :)

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Oct 14 2003, 10:00 PM
Post #4

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

...So virtual magic loss and bio index are unrelated?
Weird...

~J

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Oct 14 2003, 10:02 PM
Post #5

Traumatizing players since 1992

Member No.: 220

There's really nothing virtual about virtual magic loss it even says the loss applies "any time magic rating would be a factor" which is that same as just....gone.

+Quote Post
Gyro the Greek S...
post Oct 14 2003, 10:27 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,519

Here's a question: what if someone removes the cyberwear that took the essence out, could they put related cyberwear in later without having to take the essence loss? Say, you could have Smartlink 2 regular-style, then take it out and put in some Smartlink 2 alphaware...if you don't lose any more essence, then you could put something else in that deficit left by the difference of alpha and regular.

Thoughts?

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Oct 14 2003, 10:33 PM
Post #7

Manus Celer Dei

But the rules explicitly state, IIRC, that if the offending bioware is removed the magic returns. That and if you're reduced to 0 from virtual loss, you don't become mundane.

~J

+Quote Post
Velocity
post Oct 14 2003, 10:35 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Now that I've found the reference TinkerGnome gave me, I can answer that. :)
Man & Machine, p. 147:
Cyberware can be upgraded without its removal; the cost and Essence Cost of the new part equal the total costs of the upgrade implant minus the old implant costs.

I take this to mean that the character would be able to fill the "free" space with new 'ware.

+Quote Post
Wonazer
post Oct 14 2003, 10:37 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,643

Ok, understand that I have no idea what the rule is... But, I have always told my players that cyberware is like a tattoo. Semi-permanent. Easy to put in, hard to get out.

In the vein, if you took out a SL2, and put in a SL2(a) I would say you lose MORE essence. Besides, I could have sworn that you have a small chance of losing essence any time you are cut open (i.e. surgery).

<runs off to check the books...>

EDIT: Velocity, so according to that, you only have to pay the difference? What if they are different grades of cyberware?

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Oct 14 2003, 10:40 PM
Post #10

Manus Celer Dei

If you use the optional Surgery rules, then yes, you get screwed any way you look at it.

~J

+Quote Post
Cochise
post Oct 14 2003, 10:43 PM
Post #11

Mr. Quote-function

Member No.: 1,376

QUOTE (Gyro the Greek Sandwich Pirate)
Here's a question: what if someone removes the cyberwear that took the essence out, could they put related cyberwear in later without having to take the essence loss?  Say, you could have Smartlink 2 regular-style, then take it out and put in some Smartlink 2 alphaware...if you don't lose any more essence, then you could put something else in that deficit left by the difference of alpha and regular.

Thoughts?

Going only by the core rules you could put in there any form of cyberware ...

Going with the M&M rules you can still put any form of cyber in that "Essence Slot", as long as the removal surgery is successfully performed with the surgical option of same name

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
But the rules explicitly state, IIRC, that if the offending bioware is removed the magic returns.

Nope, they don't say so ... and as TG already pointed out, Bio-Index doesn't "regenerate" ... No explicit statement on that, but the existance of the "Bioindex Slot" option for Implants, which does the same as the "Essence Slot" option just for Bioware, heavily implies that.

That and if you're reduced to 0 from virtual loss, you don't become mundane.
That however is correct (until we get that new M&M Errata)

+Quote Post
Wonazer
post Oct 14 2003, 10:44 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,643

Kag, which optional rules? I do not have MM, nor have I read any doctoring rules lately...

<run around in circles...>

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Oct 14 2003, 11:09 PM
Post #13

Traumatizing players since 1992

Member No.: 220

Optional surgery rules in Man and Machine. I like them.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:55 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.