Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Non-Corporate Runs, How the criminal element keeps up to PCs
Samaels Ghost
post Jun 22 2006, 04:03 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,717

I ask a lot of questions and get some really awesome feedback from everyone here. My views on magical security have changed drastically, for example :D . However a lot of the examples given to me suggest the Corporation AAA just do this in their super secret private death maze research facility to counter runner activity. While that's all fine and dandy (and there's nothing like having an excuse to go all out as a GM :evil:.

I'm wonder how long the impervious Corps will keep the interest of my PCs, however. While I do GM quite often, I do take turns with one of my players GMing so that I get a chance to play. I'm a player too and can see how running against corps might get bland considering all the cool source material I've been reading of late and my own ideas.

Shadowrun is as much about criminal organizations like the Yakuza, gangs, organleggers, smugglers and teams of very successful runners who hire out for huge jobs. What if the PCs come up against some of these other aspects of the shadows? Can I still justify throwing everything I've got at them? I certainly can't do it in the same way as I would with a corp. These guys don't have huge corporate compounds where they can put anything they want in. They are bound by trying to keep up the appearance of legitimate businesses or the like. These criminal aspects don't have the advantage of unlimited resources and being the sovereign power on their land. How do I handle bringing those types of elements into running?

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Jun 22 2006, 04:19 AM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

QUOTE (Samaels Ghost)
Shadowrun is as much about criminal organizations like the Yakuza, gangs, organleggers, smugglers and teams of very successful runners who hire out for huge jobs. What if the PCs come up against some of these other aspects of the shadows? Can I still justify throwing everything I've got at them? I certainly can't do it in the same way as I would with a corp. These guys don't have huge corporate compounds where they can put anything they want in. They are bound by trying to keep up the appearance of legitimate businesses or the like. These criminal aspects don't have the advantage of unlimited resources and being the sovereign power on their land. How do I handle bringing those types of elements into running?

i suppose that depends on how you look at it. within certain areas, i would say that organised crime actually is (effectively) the sovereign power of the land, and while they may not have infinite resources, they aren't as limited in how they apply those resources either, since the basic assumption in their business is literally that if you try to screw them over, they kill you, it isn't a surprise when going someplace you shouldn't has extreme, over-the-top, negative results on your person. possibly involving concrete shoes and swimming, for example =D

i would say one thing about most of the criminal organisations, is i see them being a lot more people based defenses than machine/device based. this is probably at least partly because the places they defend move around a lot more than the typical corp facility. so, i would say that (other than a few specific locations) you are not going to see so much of the cameras, gas rooms, hidden turrets, etc as you would see at a corp location, but you would certainly see a lot more goons with SMGs, for example.

i would say that since their primary line of defense is people, you'd likely see them spend a little more money on the gear too (partly because the "security guards" are going to expect to see more use of their gear, and likely spend a little of their own money on it). nothing like deltaware wired 3, of course, but i'd say standard wired 1 is likely fairly common. probably armor jackets and at least SMGs for everyone, likely with a little RC on them, as well as smartlinks. that sorta thing.

i would also anticipate combat drugs see a lot of use, especially amongst those who are not cybered up.

+Quote Post
Samaels Ghost
post Jun 22 2006, 04:21 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

That is an excellent point. more emphasis on personel boosting, gotcha.

+Quote Post
Xenith
post Jun 22 2006, 04:30 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,361

How about infiltration, negoiation, and usage of outsiders?

+Quote Post
Samaels Ghost
post Jun 22 2006, 04:42 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

QUOTE (Xenith)
How about infiltration, negoiation, and usage of outsiders?

I don't understand, could you elaborate?

+Quote Post
Clyde
post Jun 22 2006, 05:19 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,237

In my games, the "name" organized crime types (Yakuza, the Combine, etc.) have a lot more to spend on their heavy hitters. Their personnel are more like street samurai than corporate goons for the most part. They've also got plenty of hangers on and street gang members who aren't skilled, but will have some chrome and drugs.

Organized crime is dangerous not for its defense (which is weaker than corporate) but for it's offense. Shadowrunners live on the streets. The Mafia rules the streets. Corps have a hard time tracking down some SINless streetrat with no fixed address, no traceable telecom, etc. The Mafia just starts asking all the local fixers, gun dealers, gang bangers and so forth until somebody gives you up. At that point, you're pretty screwed - because they won't be nice when they come for you.

The other thing to remember is that while the streets have their own code of silence, it's nothing like the compartmentalized "need to know" procedures that a top corp unit can employ. There's a lot more loose talk, gossip and bragging going down (many real life criminals are caught this way for otherwise unprovable crimes). Thus, the guys who hire you to do the job may be a bigger risk than the enemy. Even the bodyguard or low level messenger going along with the local "Mr. Johnson" might just blab to the wrong people, setting you up for real trouble.

Plus, Lone Star is way more likely to be involved in a criminal type run. Imagine if one of the goons your street sammie cuts down without a thought turns out to have been an undercover cop!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 09:47 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.