IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Augmented/unaugmented Attributes, How do they affect skill costs?
BrianL03
post Jun 23 2006, 03:27 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,504

Okay, I have a PC in my game who's sporting a ton of Bioware and Cyberware off of character creation (because I'm a nice GM and I'll allow some cultured drek).

Now, as the PBP is going rather slow, I wanted to double-check everyone's numbers using the NSCRG, and I found out that this one character was 12 BP over what they were allowed to start with (which suprised me. The character's packed to the gills with guns, but other than that, they've got nothing to fall back on, although there were a lot of knowledge skills).

I do some calculations, and discover that they had calculated those Knowledge and Language Skills using their Augmented Score for INT.

Now, SR3 makes no differentiation as far as I can tell regarding the skill point availabilites coming from Augmented versus Unaugmented Attributes. I am personally going to play it as Unaugmented due to skill costs coming before gear in the selection phase, but then I got thinking... how do you determine what the cost for a new skill is going to be? Let's say they've got a BOD of 4(5), and want to raise their Athletics skill one level from 4 to 5. Would it cost the regular amount, or would it be raised a level since it's going above their Unaugmented?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Jun 23 2006, 03:47 AM
Post #2

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

Some augmentations count as unaugmented for all purposes in SR3. These include most Bioware (except Pheremones) and the Improved Attribute adept power. These are always factored in.

Sor cyberware and other augmentations that count as augmented there are good aruguements both ways. I think it may depend on the skill. Certainly, dermal armor won't help you run faster. It makes sense that unaugmented Body is used for body-based skills. However, other augmentations aren't clear-cut. Muscle enhancement should make STR and QUI related skills easier. However, as a general rule, I'd say that calculations should be made without considering cyberware.

+Quote Post
BrianL03
post Jun 23 2006, 03:53 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Some augmentations count as unaugmented for all purposes in SR3. These include most Bioware (except Pheremones) and the Improved Attribute adept power. These are always factored in.

Sor cyberware and other augmentations that count as augmented there are good aruguements both ways. I think it may depend on the skill. Certainly, dermal armor won't help you run faster. It makes sense that unaugmented Body is used for body-based skills. However, other augmentations aren't clear-cut. Muscle enhancement should make STR and QUI related skills easier. However, as a general rule, I'd say that calculations should be made without considering cyberware.

Wait, so if someone was to have a Cerebral Booster, would they gain an additional 3 language points and 10 knowledge skill points?

It just seems rather cheap to me to suddenly gain more skills just because you have the Nuyen.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Jun 23 2006, 04:41 AM
Post #4

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

How is it any more cheap than reflex recorders? They aren't just spending they're spending bioindex, too. If they're magicians they're spending magic points, as well.

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Jun 23 2006, 05:31 AM
Post #5

Awakened Asset

Member No.: 7,309

Knowledge/language skill points depend on natural intelligence without ware.

Counting the cerebral booster was a common houserule though.

+Quote Post
Member #5177
post Jun 23 2006, 06:21 AM
Post #6

Target

Member No.: 6,409

Since bioware is counted as natural, I count it as the Attribute level for increasing attributes and skills. Unless the bioware states it does not effect thes (I think Tailored Pheromones is one.)

On the mnemonic enhancer and knowledge and language skill ratings, it adds a die, it does not raise the skill.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Jun 23 2006, 01:43 PM
Post #7

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

Actually canon SR3 does not differentiate between augmented and unaugmented Intelligence for the purposes of Knowledge and Langauge skill points.

The actual rules quote would be:

QUOTE (p58)
Knowledge Skill Points are calculated by multiplying the character's Intelligence by 5.
Note there is no mention about unaugmented or natural Intelligence.

+Quote Post
BrianL03
post Jun 23 2006, 01:48 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

QUOTE (toturi)
Actually canon SR3 does not differentiate between augmented and unaugmented Intelligence for the purposes of Knowledge and Langauge skill points.

The actual rules quote would be:

QUOTE (p58)
Knowledge Skill Points are calculated by multiplying the character's Intelligence by 5.
Note there is no mention about unaugmented or natural Intelligence.

I read that in the SR3, but I had assumed it had that line due to its being published before the M&M.

Also, it seemed as if they had the character creation process go in a certain order, Race then Attributes then Skills then Gear, with gear being the final icing on the cake.

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Jun 23 2006, 02:20 PM
Post #9

Awakened Asset

Member No.: 7,309

Yes, thats correct. By canon, any ware comes after buying skills, and bioware was no issue when SR3 was written.

Calculating skill point costs based on bioware-augmented attributes does improve the power of mundance characters. We allowed that by houserule, but its not canon.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Jun 24 2006, 12:45 PM
Post #10

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

QUOTE (Ryu)
Yes, thats correct. By canon, any ware comes after buying skills, and bioware was no issue when SR3 was written.

Calculating skill point costs based on bioware-augmented attributes does improve the power of mundance characters. We allowed that by houserule, but its not canon.

True. But there is nothing in the rules that say you must spend all your Attribute points or Skill points before going on to Resources or that you cannot go back and spend "extra" skill points.

In fact, following the chargen flow strictly the Adept sample character would be impossible to create. Other then the Magical Abilities section, adepts and adept powers are not mentioned thereafter in chargen. Does that mean that they have to buy their powers BEFORE they assign Attributes points or Skills points?

If you follow the chargen flow strictly then Magical PCs can be a lot more potent than as presented in the book.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jun 24 2006, 01:11 PM
Post #11

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Some augmentations count as unaugmented for all purposes in SR3. These include most Bioware (except Pheremones)

Pheremones aren't counted because they don't increase Charisma. They give bonus dice to Charisma and Social Skill tests, which is something entirely different.

~J

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 08:06 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.