> Acid Damage?
Nim
post Jun 23 2006, 04:16 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,681

QUOTE (SR4 @ p 154)

The initial DV of an acid attack counts as the Acid damage rating. Acid that has been splashed onto an object will contine to eat through for a number of turns equal to its rating. This continued corrosion stops when the acid is washed off or a base is applied.

Okay, great. So, an Acid attack with a power of 8P has an 'acid damage rating' of 8 and will continue to 'eat through' for 8 turns. Does it deal that same 8P each turn of that period? Does the damage decrease with each passing round? Anyone have any idea?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Abbandon
post Jun 23 2006, 08:25 AM
Post #2

Shooting Target

Member No.: 8,716

I would say that it would not degrade and you would take the full damage each turn. Im not educated enough to know how acid works though. It chemically eats things and doesnt stop until the chemical reaction is altared or something.

Moral of the story. If you get hit with acid have your troll friend pee on it.

+Quote Post
Abbandon
post Jun 23 2006, 08:33 AM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Member No.: 8,716

sr4 pg245. TOXINS. (which is where the book told me to look when i flipped to chemicals)

Toxic resistance test = Body + protective systems/gear
Err i guess the acid damage resistance = Body + half impact + any protection

Each hit reduces the DV. If the DV gets reduced to 0 nothing happens.

After reading that i would say that if you got hit with 8p and you got 4 hits. The next turn you would only take a 4p hit. And so on. *edit* Plus if the DV never changed it would not say INITIAL damage. It would just say the damage = rating.

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Jun 23 2006, 03:24 PM
Post #4

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 7,996

QUOTE (Abbandon)
I would say that it would not degrade and you would take the full damage each turn. Im not educated enough to know how acid works though. It chemically eats things and doesnt stop until the chemical reaction is altared or something.

Moral of the story. If you get hit with acid have your troll friend pee on it.

For the basics on acids and bases http://www.visionlearning.com/library/modu...ewer.php?mid=58

Basically Acids react with a substance "eating" it away, but the reaction will start to fizzle out as the acid, and hence the reactive agent, is used up which is why the degrading damage makes sense.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Jun 23 2006, 03:26 PM
Post #5

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,957

Don't read too much of that into Shadowrun though (or indeed most games). Most games don't differentiate at all betwee acids and bases. Anything that eats away at a substance on contact is called an acid.

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Jun 23 2006, 03:29 PM
Post #6

Neophyte Runner

Yeah thats true, just a case where a little background knowledge might help you make sense of the system, or at least be able to better explain it to your players in the future. For game purposes it probably doesn't make much difference, unless a mage makes a protection from acid spell and you decide to dump him in a vat of Sodium Hydroxide. :evil:

+Quote Post
Nim
post Jun 23 2006, 03:44 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,681

Are folks more or less in agreement with Abbadon's read on how the continuing acid damage works?

+Quote Post
Shadowmeet
post Jun 23 2006, 03:50 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,909

I am. Seems like it works pretty well to me.

+Quote Post
Lagomorph
post Jun 23 2006, 04:27 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,832

I'd say it should decrease by 1 every turn, so first it would be 8 then 7, then 6 and so on. Otherwise a rating 6 or 8 acid is likely to kill just about any body, having to resist 6 different 6DV attacks. (or 8 8DV attacks?).

[edit]
Err, oh, abbandons second rule? yeah that seemed good, I thought you were talking about his first rule.

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Jun 23 2006, 04:34 PM
Post #10

Neophyte Runner

What would be really nice to see added to acid (hopefully in a future supplement) would be clarifications on how it affects barriers and if it has any special effects on damaging non-chemical sealed armor. Also Acid burns are great for adding a little visual flavor to a character or NPC.

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon
post Jun 23 2006, 06:53 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,754

I like Abbandon's ruling.

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Jun 23 2006, 08:12 PM
Post #12

Runner

Member No.: 98

As do I.

+Quote Post
Da9iel
post Jun 27 2006, 04:30 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,367

I've always thought diseases should be that way too. Like the lingering cold that only does 1 or 2 S per day, but low bod folks just can't seem to shake it.

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Jun 27 2006, 06:27 PM
Post #14

Runner

Member No.: 98

Now, is that because they're slowly reducing it, or because they're just not getting any successes fighting it off?

+Quote Post
Da9iel
post Jun 28 2006, 08:36 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,367

Both/either.

It could be a disease with a higher interval that could have poor Joe Average under its thumb for a long time. I'd think of AIDs as being like 15P, 6 months with time to heal between tests. The common cold, 2P, 1 day or 3P, 2 days. The cold probably wouldn't kill a bod 1 individual, but it would sure threaten him (as it should). I suppose one could have diseases dealing stun damage, but you'd probably have to nix any natural healing until the disease is kicked for it to be much threat at all.

[edit] Just re-read my previous posts. Guess I rethought the whole stun/physical damage thing. Meh. [/edit]

I should look up healing again. I think it's (in its most basic form) a bod test with hits removing boxes of damage, but I don't remember the interval. 1 day? That seems like too short a time for Mr. Average to come back from Death's door.

(No books. At work. Shhh, don't tell em I'm on Dumpshock.)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:19 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.