Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Something Fidhy in Tir Na n'Og!
Kalvan
post Jun 26 2006, 01:14 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,583

Re-reading Shadows of Europe, I was looking at the list of Danaan families, when I saw three that simply didn't belong.

Burke of Ulster*, Butler, and Fitzgerald are not the names of Gaelic Clans, but Anglo-Norman Armingerous Houses, granted nobility by Edward III of England and his successors. As it was (probably) the IEs trying to gain nationalistic credibility for the Seelie Court and the Ways and Paths of the Wheel that caused the Blight of the Tudor Estates, what are those families doing sending their scions to the House of Stewarts? They don't necessarily need to sprout thorns, but their place among the Danaan families should count against the credibility of the Tir's government.

*as opposed to Burke of Connaught and Munster, who are descended from "kings of the hill" in southwestern lake country.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Prospero
post Jun 26 2006, 01:22 AM
Post #2

Illuminate of the New Dawn

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 4,700

In-game, the reason could be intermarriage. Some of the Anglo-Normal families intermarried with the Irish nobility. I can't speak to the specific cases, but I assume that would be the in-game reason. Or perhaps the families were just too well-placed and the Tir government bought their cooperation with some measure of power and they are very controversial. Heck, they could be heavily involved in the Unseelie Court.

+Quote Post
Rock
post Jun 26 2006, 01:23 AM
Post #3

Target

Member No.: 8,734

When they set up the new government in TNN, did they invite those with money and/or local political clout into the upper levels to give it some sense of legitmacy? If so, and if those names had the cash and power behind them, that might explain it.

I can see some local saying, "the big guy is backing the elves, so it's a good idea!" all the while hoping for some patronage.

+Quote Post
Kalvan
post Jun 26 2006, 01:38 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,583

QUOTE (Prospero)
In-game, the reason could be intermarriage. Some of the Anglo-Normal families intermarried with the Irish nobility.

Then they would be treated as cadets or branches of those families, like Fox of Lienster* from O"Brian, MacNeill from O'Niell, or (My mother's family) Quill of Munster from O'Sullivan.

*As opposed to Fox of Munster, which is its own line, and Fox of Ulster, which is Anglo-Scottish and came over during the Ulster Plantation.

+Quote Post
Prospero
post Jun 26 2006, 06:40 AM
Post #5

Illuminate of the New Dawn

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 4,700

Then I guess you'd have to assume the temporal power angle - those families just had too many connections to not subvert into the power structure. Why not - things like that happen all the time. Keep you friends close and your enemies closer and all that.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th May 2024 - 02:29 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.