Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Anchoring Focus alternative to Wired Level 2
Findar
post Jun 26 2006, 07:26 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,056

I noticed in MiTS that you can purchase a prebonded anchoring focus. I don't have my books with me so I am doing this from memory. A prebonded reuseable anchoring focus Rating 1 for Increase Reflexes +3 would cost 150,000 :nuyen: base price. If memory serves me correctly the Availabilty would be low enough you could purchase it at character generation thus bypassing the Street Index of 4. Of course you need to have a mage in your group to recast the spell for you each time you use it. Any decent shadowrunner team needs at least one mage anyway so this might be workable. The idea has disadvantages but I think the zero essence cost for many characters could outweigh the disadvantages. Heck for characters that aren't primary combat types an expendable anchoring focus might be just great. I'll have to check what a rating 1 prebonded expendable anchoring focus would cost. I think it might be 1500 x 5 = 7500.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sharaloth
post Jun 26 2006, 10:33 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,093

too expensive, and not really worth it at all. If your mage is going to have the spell anyways, buy a Force 1 Sustaining focus for it, get the mage to bond it with the karma from the first run, and then do it that way. only 15,000 nuyen, and it WAY easier to manage than an anchoring focus.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Jun 26 2006, 11:33 PM
Post #3

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,957

And of course there's the inability of enemy casters to dispel wired reflexes.

+Quote Post
Seraph Kast
post Jun 27 2006, 05:32 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,791

And the inability of all sorts of sensors to detect a magical effect. Six of one, half dozen of the other. It's certainly an option for mages and adepts at the least, or anyone that just plain doesn't want cyberware.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Jun 27 2006, 12:37 PM
Post #5

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Seraph Kast)
And the inability of all sorts of sensors to detect a magical effect.

Except astral ones. Any place sensitive enough to require cyberware sensors will probably also have some sort of astral presence as well.

+Quote Post
Findar
post Jun 27 2006, 02:04 PM
Post #6

Target

Member No.: 8,056

QUOTE (Sharaloth)
too expensive, and not really worth it at all. If your mage is going to have the spell anyways, buy a Force 1 Sustaining focus for it, get the mage to bond it with the karma from the first run, and then do it that way. only 15,000 nuyen, and it WAY easier to manage than an anchoring focus.

That's a very good point. And definetly cheaper. As long as your mage is willing to donate karma to other characters and use up precious points of foci that will work.

+Quote Post
John Campbell
post Jun 27 2006, 03:42 PM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 3,581

Trying to get your Increase Reflexes focus through wards intact is enough of a pain when you can see into the Astral, Mask your foci, and recast the spell when necessary. As a mundane, I bet you wouldn't get that focus through your first run intact.

+Quote Post
Member #5177
post Jun 27 2006, 05:12 PM
Post #8

Target

Member No.: 6,409

QUOTE (Findar)
QUOTE (Sharaloth @ Jun 26 2006, 05:33 PM)

That's a very good point. And definetly cheaper. As long as your mage is willing to donate karma to other characters and use up precious points of foci that will work.

Use the same MitS rules and pay 5000 nuyen for an NPC mage to pay the first bonding cost to bond it to your PC magician. Total 20,000 nuyen.

Still contributes to focus addiction.

+Quote Post
Sharaloth
post Jun 27 2006, 05:58 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

the first bonding cost has to be paid partially by the magician it's being bonded to. A F1 sustaining focus has a bonding cost of 1 karma. you'd just be wasting nuyen.

+Quote Post
Member #5177
post Jun 28 2006, 07:46 PM
Post #10

Target

Member No.: 6,409

QUOTE (Sharaloth @ Jun 27 2006, 01:58 PM)
the first bonding cost has to be paid partially by the magician it's being bonded to. A F1 sustaining focus has a bonding cost of 1 karma. you'd just be wasting nuyen.

:proof:

The enchanter can pay the entire first bonding cost, essentially bonding it to himself. If he wants to bond it to someone else, they only need be present at the first bonding. The person the focus is being bonded to, other than the enchanter, may pay some or all of the bonding cost. Note the RAW do not say must. (MitS.44)

So, I fail to see the requirement you are imposing.

+Quote Post
Sharaloth
post Jun 28 2006, 11:38 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

you're right, I misread 'may' as 'must'.

My point still stands, it's a waste of nuyen. Buy the damn focus off the shelf (it's legal) and have the mage bond it himself for the huge, incredible, massive, unbeleivable price of one (1) good karma. Going through the enchanter is idiotic at this low force, and more expensive in every way at higher forces.

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Jun 29 2006, 10:11 PM
Post #12

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,383

I am still really upset at how they took out grounding. These foci were awesome when they could just act as a magnet for force 8 Hellblasts.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Jun 29 2006, 11:11 PM
Post #13

Great Dragon

Grounding has been gone for a loooong time. Get over it or reintroduce it. :)

+Quote Post
mfb
post Jun 30 2006, 01:47 AM
Post #14

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

all those drawbacks, and you still don't get the +6 Rea--which i generally find to be of equal utility as the +3d6 init, given how much surprise can suck.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 03:05 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.