Reply to this topicStart new topic
> First Run, My group's, anyway
Dudukain
post Jun 26 2006, 10:31 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,690

So this was our first run, everybody's first session including the GM.
The Cast:
Ariel: Female Elf Mystic Adept, carries a bow, a monofilament sword, a chainsaw, a flamethrower, and a ridiculous amount of grenades.
Dudukain: Male Ork Adept, wields a monofilament sword or Super Warhawk. 4 initiative passes a turn (Me)

We're dead broke, so Dudukain calls up his fixer for a job. Turns out a Johnson for a small-time company had his plans stolen by a rival company. We go to meet him at the coffee shop. Ariel rides her scooter and we figure out Dudukain can run at roughly 10 MPH, so he just runs...

Johnson offers us 500Y to recover the plans, with a bit of talking, we get him to 500Y now, 500Y later...It turns out that he created the plans when he was "so stoned"...Not even going to ask.

Ariel uses some of the 500Y to get ahold of a climbing kit, while Dudukain gets ahold of some thermite gel.

So, in the dead of night, we climb up the building (These are small companies...)
It takes Dudukain two minutes, but he has to wait 8 more minutes for Ariel to scramble up. Dudukain applies the Thermite to the ceiling, and looks in. Laser wires across the hallway, But Dudukain manages to get past it, Ariel BARELY. So we are in front of the vault where they keep the plans, and we have no thermite.
Dudukain grabs one of Ariel's grenades and hurls it at the vault door. BOOM

The blast alerts the guards, and we get the plans out of their container right when a security guard bursts in, and calls for reinforcements. Ariel fires (no pun intended) her flamethrower at the guard. Dudukain draws his sword and walks towards the guard, then strikes three times with his sword, and the guard crumples. Dudukain hurl's the guard's body twice at the bulletproof glass window, then just breaks it open with his sword. Dudukain quickly snips off a bit of rope from the climbing kit, then uses it to tie two grenades together and rig them to go off when the door opens...

Ariel and Dudukain begin to descend, and...

BOOM

A huge plume of flame rushes out of the window

Yup, we gained notoreity on the first session...

Depending on how many posts this gets, I might keep posting the sessions.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Jun 26 2006, 10:38 PM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 98

Hey, the J's getting what he paid for :)

Smash and grab thousand-nuyen runs are the bread and butter of a lot of up-and-coming would-be runners. Notoriety is good... it keeps you on your toes, it forces you to learn things (like how not to get caught by the cops) and it's a prime motivating factor behind wanting to improve, earn some street cred (to buy off the notoriety), and move up in the world.

Having worked with thermite, I've got one comment... it doesn't burn upwards very well. If what you meant by "applies the Thermite to the ceiling" could also be stated as "used the Thermite to burn through the roof they were standing on," then you're fine. Thermite does most of it's damage by throwing off a huge amount of heat and molten iron, though, so it's only really dangerous to things that gravity causes it to stick to (rather than fall off of).

I'm always interested in reading people's runner stories :)

+Quote Post
Nim
post Jun 26 2006, 10:42 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,681

QUOTE (Dudukain)

Ariel: Female Elf Mystic Adept, carries a bow, a monofilament sword, a chainsaw, a flamethrower, and a ridiculous amount of grenades.

I was going to twitch at this, but then I fiigured, hey. 64 more years of SOTA advances might make for flamethrowers you can holster on your belt or something. And it could be a small chainsaw....

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Jun 26 2006, 10:52 PM
Post #4

Runner

Cannon Companion had the Shiawase Blazer, which I always imagined as being about the size of a Colt Commando with a hanging tank rather than a magazine.

+Quote Post
Abbandon
post Jun 26 2006, 11:07 PM
Post #5

Shooting Target

Member No.: 8,716

Only one gaurd investigates an explosion??? I liked the part where Dudukain tried to chuck the gaurd out the window lol. Why didnt they thermite the window to begin with ??

Yeah hearing stories is great but not on the Forum for rules questions. Take it the general board or something hehe.

+Quote Post
Nim
post Jun 26 2006, 11:10 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Sure. I know you can make them pretty darn small, especially if you don't mind having a smaller flame.

That phosphorus-squeeze-bottle demonstration in Freshman Chem made an impression :)

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Jun 26 2006, 11:32 PM
Post #7

Runner

Ok, that sounds like a sight to behold.

+Quote Post
Lagomorph
post Jun 27 2006, 12:09 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,832

Thought I'd share this first Thermite

Yeah, thermite unfortunately only goes one direction, down. Though, if you had a airhose to blow the molten iron and aluminum around you could use it like a flamethrower (kinda..)

Be careful using explosives to get at the item you want, you may find it burning or destroyed next time you blow open the safe!

Sounds like you guys had fun, congrats on your first successful run! Keep posting em if you want to.

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Jun 27 2006, 12:38 AM
Post #9

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 5,698

QUOTE (Nim)
QUOTE (Dudukain @ Jun 26 2006, 05:31 PM)

I was going to twitch at this, but then I fiigured, hey. 64 more years of SOTA advances might make for flamethrowers you can holster on your belt or something. And it could be a small chainsaw....

How impressing is a small flamethrower actually? It's all about intimidation - and really good armored tank... :D

+Quote Post
Squinky
post Jun 27 2006, 12:47 AM
Post #10

Running Target

Member No.: 7,377

Sounds like it was fun. Although you would think you could run way faster than ten miles an hour, heh.

+Quote Post
Dudukain
post Jun 27 2006, 01:45 AM
Post #11

Target

Member No.: 8,690

QUOTE (Shrike30)
Hey, the J's getting what he paid for :)

Smash and grab thousand-nuyen runs are the bread and butter of a lot of up-and-coming would-be runners. Notoriety is good... it keeps you on your toes, it forces you to learn things (like how not to get caught by the cops) and it's a prime motivating factor behind wanting to improve, earn some street cred (to buy off the notoriety), and move up in the world.

Having worked with thermite, I've got one comment... it doesn't burn upwards very well. If what you meant by "applies the Thermite to the ceiling" could also be stated as "used the Thermite to burn through the roof they were standing on," then you're fine. Thermite does most of it's damage by throwing off a huge amount of heat and molten iron, though, so it's only really dangerous to things that gravity causes it to stick to (rather than fall off of).

I'm always interested in reading people's runner stories :)

Actually, I forgot. Before we got back, I messaged the company we had just stolen it from to see if they would give me a better price...They wouldn't.

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon
post Jun 27 2006, 09:20 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,754

1000 nuyen? Does that even cover the cost of your ammo?

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Jun 27 2006, 11:57 AM
Post #13

Horror

Member No.: 7,445

I would have laughed Mr. J off the table when he tried to get me to do a Shadowrun for 500 :nuyen: , then we would have gone and stolen a Ford Americar and hawked it to a chop shop for about as much :nuyen: and 100% less danger.

+Quote Post
Crusher Bob
post Jun 27 2006, 12:41 PM
Post #14

Runner

Member No.: 4,253

Well for 1000Y, if the only security on the place is a (normal) dog that they let run around at night, that's fine for a starting job. It's the kind of job you get sent on to mkae sure you are not stupid enough to go in during the day-time and Pol Pot the entire office, burn the place down, or something equaly stupid. But as you described the place as having actual armed guards, the min price of the run should have been something in the range of 3000-5000Y (for the team) so each of you would have gotten 1500 to 2500 Y.

+Quote Post
Nim
post Jun 27 2006, 02:58 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

QUOTE (Shrike30)
Ok, that sounds like a sight to behold.

It's easy! The prof had a lab-bench nozzled squeeze bottle (like you'd use to clean out test tubes or whatnot - squeeze it and get a thin jet of liquid) full of a phosphorus / alcohol solution. He squeezed a jet of the stuff across the front of the room. The alcohol started evaporating in the air, leaving enough unbuffered phosphorus to ignite on contact with the air...and set off the remaining alcohol, too.

Narrow little stream of fire across the room - he probably got about 15 feet or so. It was memorable :)

+Quote Post
coolgrafix
post Jun 27 2006, 04:54 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,116

QUOTE (Abbandon)
Yeah hearing stories is great but not on the Forum for rules questions. Take it the general board or something hehe.

What brazen silliness! =) The SR4 forum is not simply for the discussion of rules questions.

Be thee gone, silly person. =)

+Quote Post
coolgrafix
post Jun 27 2006, 04:56 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,116

QUOTE (Dudukain)

I'm curious what spells Ariel has available. Also, I'm curious what powers you both have.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:55 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.