Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Character Creation questions
Abbandon
post Jun 27 2006, 06:40 AM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,716

If a piece of cyberwear has a capacity rating that means he can stuff other things into without paying essense right ??

Like i was getting cybereyes Rating 3 which has a capicity of 12 with everything in them except drones, covers, and retinal duping. So as long as all the add-ons dont add up to more than 12 capacity they are free as far as essense? Otherwise my eyeballs are gonna be 1.2 essense which is insane.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Zolhex
post Jun 27 2006, 06:44 AM
Post #2

Project Terminus: Soul Hunters

Member No.: 5,798

Yes you are correct if a cyber item comes with capacity then you may if you choose add on at no additional essance cost so long as you stay at or below the capacity.

Which means for 1 essance a magical character can have almost all the toys available in his/her eyes ears and a commlink not bad for 1 essance.

+Quote Post
Abbandon
post Jun 27 2006, 07:06 AM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Sweet so i went from 1.2 essense cybereyes to .4 lol. Now maybe i will hack my ears off to sweet!!

+Quote Post
Abbandon
post Jun 27 2006, 07:26 AM
Post #4

Shooting Target

The machine gun called the ingram white knite says it cant be upgraded. What the heck does that mean? Is it talking about the built in gas vent? or can you not add a smartgun and gyrostabilizer to it?

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon
post Jun 27 2006, 09:14 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,754

QUOTE (Abbandon)
The machine gun called the ingram white knite says it cant be upgraded. What the heck does that mean? Is it talking about the built in gas vent? or can you not add a smartgun and gyrostabilizer to it?

It seems pretty definitive to me. But I'm inclined to ignore it as a GM. The barrel mount is taken by the gas vent, but you should still be able to use the top/under mounts for other things.

+Quote Post
Abbandon
post Jun 27 2006, 10:16 AM
Post #6

Shooting Target

Ok. My dude has aluminum bone lacing which gives +2 to body when making damage resistance rolls. Would you include that in the condition monitor??

+Quote Post
Abbandon
post Jun 27 2006, 10:33 AM
Post #7

Shooting Target

ooops i forgot to get some stun batons that my guy is suppose to specialize in lol.

+Quote Post
Abbandon
post Jun 27 2006, 11:15 AM
Post #8

Shooting Target

My Troll Brawler

Name is Cerberus
Body 9, Agility 4, Reaction 5, Strength 7, Charisma 1, Intelligence 1, Logic 1, Willpower 4, Intuition 6

Condition monitor= 13P 10S
Initiative = 11 (13 w/ wire reflexes on)
Init pass's= 1 (3)
Edge: 1
Essense= 1.1
Qaulities= Bad Luck
Contacts: Cyberdoc 5/5, Fixer 3/2, Lonestar 1/2, Club Bouncer 1/1

Active Skills:
Dodge 5, Pistols 3, Heavy Weapons 4, Throwing weapons 4, Clubs 4 (spec batons),
Unarmed Combat 5 (spec mixed martial arts), Stealth group 1, Pilot Ground 4 (spec bikes), Artisan 1, Computer 1.

Knowledge Skills:
Interest-Professional fighting 4, Interest- Making Art 2, Street- pop music 1, Street- Movies 4, Street Seattle Shadow community 5, Professional- Security Procedures 5

Langauge SKills:
English N

Cybernetics: (all basic grade)
Wirereflexes 2
Aluminum Bone Lacing
Cyber eyes w/ most add-ons (max Ratings)
Cyber ears w/ all add ons (max ratings)

Weapons and Armor:
Fists that do physical damage (currently 6P)
Stun batons
Ingram White Knight w/ shockpad, gyro, gas vent 3, and smartgun (light machine gun) w/ basic ammo
Predator IV w/ smartgun and silencer w/ basic and some XX ammo
10 throwing knives
5 HE grenades

An Armor Jacket 8/6 (9/6 cuz of my bones)
some clothes
and a crappy commlink (response 1,signal 2,firewall 3, system 4)

Fluff test:
He was a rookie lonestar cop and worked a beat or something and he decided to start trying to take advantage of the situation, through some bad luck he got caught by an old cop friend (his contact) and instead of the older cop just reporting him he just told the kid to get lost because he liked him so much cuz they always hung out and talked together sometimes.

The cop erased his files and stuff from the system and lonestar didnt care that he left. Then Cerberus got fascinated with professional fighting and started doing underground fights. A few times he got beat up pretty bad through some more bad luck which resulted in him meeting a street doc (another contact). In exchange for doing some dirty deeds for the street doc he got his hands on some generic standard cyberwear.

He knows a small time fixer and a bouncer at a club and lives in apartment and he wants more cyberwear in his body so he works the shadows. He is kinda artistic and applys it to different mediums such as painting, drawing, music but it isnt good enough to make money off or anything. It is only satisfying to him and maybe friends.

I have no idea what he looks like physically. He wears suit pants, cargo/camo/denim pants, ripped/torn/shredded jeans, Kinda tight T shirts, Ripped/torn/mesh shirts, no shirt w/ suit jacket, combat boots or dress shoes.

+Quote Post
Crusher Bob
post Jun 27 2006, 12:56 PM
Post #9

Runner

Member No.: 4,253

Intelligence is not a stat. I assume you mean intuition 1 and edge 6? There is no Artisan active skill, unless I missed it somewhere, in general things like wood-carving or whatever should be knowledge skills.

You have no social skills, and a Cha of 1. This means that you are unable to interact socially with anyone at all (defaulting is stat -1). This means thatyou have great difficulty doing things like making your order at the Tastee Ghoul. You are also Inutition 1 with no perception skill, meaning that you are basically unable to notice anything not extremly obvious. You also have logic 1, meaning that doing something like walking and chewing gum at the same time uses up all of your available brain power. Most runners will not want to work with you, you are as dumb as a brick, can't see anything, and are not smart enough to understand a plan that involves more the monosyllables.

Take a look at the suggested stats of rookie cops in this thread and pick up most of the skills listed there. Also up all of your stats at 1 to at least 2s, if not 3s, what police force is going to hire someone who is falling off the bottom of the bell curve in charisma, logic, and perception?

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Jun 27 2006, 01:22 PM
Post #10

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Group: Admin
Member No.: 7,667

Maybe Cerberus is the Canine part of the K9 Unit. Just add some cyberteeth.

+Quote Post
Grogs
post Jun 27 2006, 04:37 PM
Post #11

Target

Member No.: 8,643

QUOTE (Crusher Bob)
Intelligence is not a stat. I assume you mean intuition 1 and edge 6? There is no Artisan active skill, unless I missed it somewhere, in general things like wood-carving or whatever should be knowledge skills.

I'm pretty sure he meant Intuition 6 and Edge 1 since both are explicitly stated on the char. sheet and both the initiative and knowledge skills seem to work out correctly that way. The intelligence thing nearly threw me too. FWIW, I would think long and hard about putting that last attribute point in there. 25 BP is an awful lot for one extra point of an attribute. Maybe drop it to 5 (that would take you to 200 BP for mental/physical attributes) and use those 25 points on skills, contacts, or more cyberware.

Artisan is an active skill BTW, p. 125 of the SR4 Manual.

+Quote Post
Lagomorph
post Jun 27 2006, 05:25 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,832

If you're going to have a logic 1 character, you may as well take off the one point in computers. You may want to look at getting some kind of illiterate flaw since you won't be using much in the way of logic skills anyway.

+Quote Post
coolgrafix
post Jun 27 2006, 05:52 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,116

QUOTE (Casazil)
Which means for 1 essance a magical character can have almost all the toys available in his/her eyes ears and a commlink not bad for 1 essance.

Bear in mind that spells can't be cast through cybereyes. A mage with cybereyes is essentially blind for the purposes of casting spells. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Jun 27 2006, 05:56 PM
Post #14

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

You are indeed wrong. Cyberware paid for with essence is considered part of the person's natural body as far as magic is concerned.

+Quote Post
Gustave
post Jun 27 2006, 05:59 PM
Post #15

Target

Member No.: 8,774

Don't forget to add troll toughness to the armor. Also if the cop liked him enough to let him go, why is his loyalty so low?

+Quote Post
coolgrafix
post Jun 27 2006, 06:06 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
You are indeed wrong. Cyberware paid for with essence is considered part of the person's natural body as far as magic is concerned.

Excellent. Thanks for pointing this out. Made me actually research this a bit instead of assume.

SR4 page 173:

"A spellcaster can target anyone or anything she can see directly with her natural vision. Physical cyber- or bio-enhancements paid for with Essence can be used to spot targets, but any technological visual aids that substitute themselves for the character’s own visual senses -- cameras, electronic binoculars, Matrix feeds, etc. -- cannot be used."

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Jun 27 2006, 06:09 PM
Post #17

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

Right. Sorry I didn't have the quote for you.
The only time cyberware isn't considered part of the subject as far as magic is concerned is the spell Turn to Goo, which specifically states that ignores cyberware for some odd reason.

+Quote Post
coolgrafix
post Jun 27 2006, 06:28 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Agreed on the "some odd reason" part.

SR4 page 204:

"Turn to Goo transforms living tissue into a sticky, glue-like substance. The caster must win an Opposed Test pitting her Magic + Spellcasting against the target's Body (+Counterspelling). Additionally, the spell's Force must equal or exceed the target’s Body. Non-living material -- including clothing, gear, and cyberware -- is not affected. The target is not conscious while under the effects of this spell, and any damage suffered by the gooey form affects the target normally. The goo has a barrier Armor rating equal to Body + net hits (see Barriers, p. 157)."

So just what the hell does "Non-living material -- including clothing, gear, and cyberware -- is not affected" mean. Probably a thread on that somewhere. I guess the subject just collapses into a pile of goo, her clothing and cyberparts laying in the pile separate. So presumably the clothing and cyberparts could just be picked up and packed away. How bizarre. There is nothing in the SR3 FAQ about the spell and it's not in the SR3 rulebook itself. Wish I had a PDF of Magic in the Shadows now. Doh!

+Quote Post
Nim
post Jun 27 2006, 06:34 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,681

I figure it means those things aren't turned to goo. Presumably the cyber would now be buried in the middle of your pile of goo, while the clothes would be wrapped around the outside of the pile of goo :)

But...yes. It's a silly spell. And it raises all sorts of questions about what happens if you reach in and start pulling cyber OUT before turning them back. Or, for that matter, what happens if you add stuff....

+Quote Post
coolgrafix
post Jun 27 2006, 06:41 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Previous discussion on Turn to Goo found here.

+Quote Post
Abbandon
post Jun 27 2006, 08:45 PM
Post #21

Shooting Target

See thats why i posted my guy so others could check out him out. I was using pg73 when making my stats and there are two INI columns so i went with intelligence and intuition lol. Instead they are Intuition and intiatice which is dumb to have up there since intitiative is a derived attribute.

I will be moving some stuff around. Man i sure am gonna miss that high intutition i thought i had. I thought he would be really good at spotting things.

Ok Attributes:
Body 8, agility 4, reaction 5, Strength 7, charisma 2, Intuition 4,logic 2, willpower 4, initiative 9 (11 when wired).

Computer 1 still gives him better understanding of computers than the average joe. He isnt going to be a hacker or anything. Computer is the skill you use when using the matrix in a normal manner.

Artisan is a technical active skill. Not all skills are in groups. You can spec in things like singing, painting, carpentry, sculpture, guitars.

His lonestar contact has a low loyalty because he got caught being a criminal and abusing his position, if the lonestar didnt care about those things he probably wouldnt be with lonestar anyways but he is willing to overlook it as long as Cerberus doesnt try to be a lonestar guy anymore. It damaged their relationship.

Oh do you guys think my bone lacing should count towards my Condition Monitor??? And what do you think of my heavily modded ingram white knight that isnt suppose to be touched?

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Jun 27 2006, 09:46 PM
Post #22

Runner

Member No.: 98

Bone lacing's description explicitly states that it adds to Body for damage resistance rolls, not that it augments your Body stat. It does not count towards your condition monitor.

The Ingram White Knight's "Cannot Be Modified" qualifier refers to the gas-vent system built onto the barrel. You're welcome to put anything you want onto the weapon in other locations, but the barrel mount is taken up by what is essentially a Gas Vent V... pretty impressive piece of gear there. Add on a bipod, and you can throw this thing down and rip out full bursts with barely any penalties. The gyromount you've got on there lets you do that AND run around like a fool without penalties... downright scary.

LMGs on gyromounts, for the record, are one of the ways to get a Lone Star HTR team dropped on your head so fast it'll spin. Careful where you use that thing :P

+Quote Post
Abbandon
post Jun 27 2006, 11:04 PM
Post #23

Shooting Target

Yeah i was only gonna use it in special circumstances. Otherwise my dude for the most part is gonna be an in your face fighter. Shooting with a pistol till he gets close and then either beating you unconscience with dual stun batons or just smashing your face in with his fists.

If your weapons base attack power is equal to or less than a targets armor it switches to stun damage right? This is kinda making me think about redoing him or something. The whole reason i took bone lacing was to do physical damage punchs instead of stun, which costs 15k nuyen and 1 essense. And he is gonna end up doing stun damage anyways?? Hopefully after he maxes out his strength and gets some muscle implants he will be in the 8+ damage range vs impact armor which should start working fine.

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Jun 27 2006, 11:25 PM
Post #24

Runner

Member No.: 98

Net successes are added prior to that calculation, meaning that you're doing at least 7P when you smack someone. If they're not wearing more armor than an armored jacket (remember, this works against Impact, not Ballistic) then you're not going to get staged down.

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Jun 28 2006, 12:03 AM
Post #25

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

someone keeps saying the white knight cannot have a barrel mount added in because of the gas vent system... while i suppose it is possible they made a specific exception for the white knight which i hadn't noticed, i feel that i should point out that integral (ie comes included in the base model of the gun) accessories do not take up a slot. so, unless the white knight is a special case, it can still take a barrel mount too (not that there's all that many barrel mounts to choose from yet, anyways).

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 04:24 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.