Reply to this topicStart new topic
> the 7th world, a though
Straight Razor
post Jun 27 2006, 08:51 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,761

anyone ever thought of doing a 7th world game?
My room mate got a manga called Blame, and it made me think would the world be like after Magic left and there was a great deal of tech around that was inspired and provoked by it.
if i was going to do a 7th world game i think i would remove essence all together. magic att would cost double(point system) and drain is always physical.
any thoughts??
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Platinum
post Jun 27 2006, 09:09 PM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 1,115

called battletech or mechwarrior.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jun 27 2006, 09:14 PM
Post #3

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

Just divide the effective Force of all foci by 4, and multiply the effective Force for determining drain and time, etc. for spells and spirits by the same number.

~J

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Jun 27 2006, 09:17 PM
Post #4

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...=11920&hl=blame!

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Jun 27 2006, 09:17 PM
Post #5

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 7,996

Sounds interesting, also sounds like one hell of a big project. Judging by some of the threads on Earthdawn Crossovers the beginning of the 7th world should occur around 7015. Some of the things you'll have to decide are if you want to have a scourge in the middle part or not, if you do how far back does it set (meta)humanity when it happens and what is the level of tech in your setting (Mechwarrior? Traveller, Star Trek, etc). It sounds like magic will be possible, but extremely difficult, rare, and painful to do. Additionally you may have to deal with things like long distance spaceflight and alien manaspheres and even aliens if you want to go there. In short you've got a nearly clean slate game world to develop there.

+Quote Post
Calvin Hobbes
post Jun 28 2006, 12:54 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,900

Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay is a good example of a lost age of magic leading to a new age of technology, where horrors and monsters abound.

+Quote Post
Glorian
post Jun 28 2006, 01:12 AM
Post #7

Target

Member No.: 8,597

I believe in a story that Tom Dowd wrote, Ehran the Scribe, put the date of the Sixth World ending and Seventh World starting as April 4, 7137. It's difficult to guess anything about a world five thousand years in the future, except those damn immortal elves will still be around. :P

+Quote Post
Lagomorph
post Jun 28 2006, 01:16 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,832

I was also under the impression that the horrors signaled the end of a world, since they ate magic things (or just everything). Since AZT almost brought them over in 206X, they could succeed in another 100 years and then magic would die out again.

My whole grasp of the world cycle is sketchy at best, so I may be way off with that.

+Quote Post
Glorian
post Jun 28 2006, 01:31 AM
Post #9

Target

Member No.: 8,597

No, actually, the Horrors come in the middle of the even-numbered worlds, because that's when the magic levels are at the highest, allowing them to cross over. The Horrors in general, consume everything, though some are more finicky eaters. However, they depend on magic. If the magic is gone, so are they. The premise of the kaers in Earthdawn, was to simply wait the Horrors out, and wait for the magic level to drop. To measure the magic level, a ball of True Earth was levitated over True Water. As the magic drop, the ball dropped. However, in Earthdawn, the ball didn't drop into the water. Instead of the magic steadily declined, it plateaued.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Jun 28 2006, 02:20 AM
Post #10

Midnight Toker

Horrors do not eat magic. They breath magic and they corrupt magic. Horrors eat flesh; they eat fear; they eat pain; they eat jealously; they eat disire; they eat fealty; they eat courage;they eat vanity; they eat heroism; they eat insanity. They eat many things but none eat magic.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Jun 28 2006, 02:35 AM
Post #11

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

Sometimes, they even eat other Horrors.

+Quote Post
PlatonicPimp
post Jun 28 2006, 03:41 AM
Post #12

Running Target

Member No.: 1,320

OK, so 7th world Ideas

One, nothing we recognize as the world of now will exist. Continents themselves will have shifted, we could have had a pole shift for all that it would help. Make little cardboard cutouts of the continents and major islands, and move them around a bit. Destroy areas. It'll be fun.

The horrors will have come. The question is, how well do you want metahumanity to have faired?

Now HERE'S an Idea. Imagine that when the horrors come, the rich and technologically adept have built space stations capable of supporting hundreds of thousands of people in earth-like enviornments. Maybe the become interplanetary or even interstellar if that floats your boat, though I'd prefer it limited to the solar system if at all possible (it makes for a more cyberpunk feel, which I'd like to keep a little of).

So earth is essentially abandoned, and people are protected from the horrors by the fun mana warps of space. Except that those unlucky enough to not be rich and powerful were left on earth, and some survived the horrors (they always do). So after the scourge, the rich and powerful come down from orbit to reclaim the planet, only to find there are scourge survivors with other Ideas. Magic still works, but is on the wain. The ruins and dungeons to explore are the remains of our modern cities (Imagine your local landmarks lasting 5000 years into the future. Some of those things are built to last.)

If you wanted to get interplanetary, then other planets have their own mana cycles, and some may be approaching their peak now.

Or maybe the mars is the true home of the horrors, and when the mana cycle reach a specific point, their manaspheres extend so far out as to touch. thats a differnt take, so we'll leave it.

But yeah, we know immortal elves will have made their way onto the stations. Hell, they'll have probably ruled at least one. It would be hard to keep it a secret that they were immortal, so they are probably in the open.
Dragons however would have been earthbound, and survived through hibernation as usual. Pick a few to have verigorn kill off. The rest will probably head the resistance to the spacers reclaiming earth.

+Quote Post
Straight Razor
post Jun 28 2006, 04:19 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,761

sim-city style archology launching. mabe against it's will. how big of a ritual would you need to launch one?

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Jun 28 2006, 04:40 AM
Post #14

Midnight Toker

Big. It's basicly be a levetation spell but many successes would be required to overcome the wieght.

7th World = G Gundam? Chicks dig giant robots.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jun 28 2006, 04:52 AM
Post #15

Manus Celer Dei

QUOTE (PlatonicPimp @ Jun 27 2006, 10:41 PM)
people are protected from the horrors by the fun mana warps of space.

*Thud* *Thud* *Thud* *Thud* *Thud* *Thud* *Thud* *Thud* *Thud*

~*Thud*

+Quote Post
Witness
post Jun 28 2006, 09:15 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,319

I've thought about this a little before.

+Quote Post
Cray74
post Jun 28 2006, 11:32 AM
Post #17

Running Target

Member No.: 2,860

QUOTE (PlatonicPimp @ Jun 28 2006, 03:41 AM)
One, nothing we recognize as the world of now will exist. Continents themselves will have shifted, we could have had a pole shift for all that it would help.

Continents don't move (significantly) in 5000 years.

You might get some coastline shifts from icecap melting or an ice age, but in 5000 years, most continents will only move about [edit]duh, 250m, at 5cm/year.[/edit]

The wobble of Earth's poles have a predictable 26,000-year period. By 7000AD, the new pole star should be Vega, leaving Polaris mis-named (but still closely aligned with the north pole - the wobble isn't big).

+Quote Post
Rock
post Jun 28 2006, 11:55 AM
Post #18

Target

Member No.: 8,734

In the real world, sure, continents don't move except at a snail's pace. In a world where you have some high powered magic, elves that don't die, and horrors from other planes of existance showing up to eat you and swallow your soul, then maybe it's possible for something to happen and drastically change the position of the continents. You could even chalk it up to a major magic battle where the amount of magic used makes the Great Ghost Dance looks like parlor tricks by comparison and use that as the excuse.

+Quote Post
Cray74
post Jun 28 2006, 01:19 PM
Post #19

Running Target

Member No.: 2,860

QUOTE (stevenrockwell)
In the real world, sure, continents don't move except at a snail's pace.

And in this fictional world, continents didn't move in the 2nd World or the 4th World (which also had the elves, horrors, and uber-magic). It's unlikely to happen in the 6th World, either.

+Quote Post
JesterX
post Jun 28 2006, 01:52 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,390

It's absolutly astonishing to see references taken from Shadowrun material on a End of the world website:

End of the World

:rotfl:

Just a quick google search with the terms : mayan calendar 7137 2012 and I found this... lol

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jun 28 2006, 01:54 PM
Post #21

Manus Celer Dei

Those aren't Shadowrun references, dude.

Edit: Holy crap, they are. I… wish I hadn't clicked that list and had lived my life in ignorance instead.

~J

+Quote Post
Witness
post Jun 28 2006, 02:10 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,319

QUOTE (JesterX)
It's absolutly astonishing to see references taken from Shadowrun material on a End of the world website:

End of the World

Just a quick google search with the terms : mayan calendar 7137 2012 and I found this... lol

Now that's funny.

+Quote Post
JesterX
post Jun 28 2006, 02:28 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,390

QUOTE (Witness)
QUOTE (JesterX @ Jun 28 2006, 08:52 AM)

End of the World

Now that's funny.

I sure hope that the owner of this website knows that he is quoting SciFi material and *what* the Dumpshock website is... ^_^

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Jun 28 2006, 05:12 PM
Post #24

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 7,996

QUOTE (Cray74)
QUOTE (stevenrockwell @ Jun 28 2006, 11:55 AM)
In the real world, sure, continents don't move except at a snail's pace.

And in this fictional world, continents didn't move in the 2nd World or the 4th World (which also had the elves, horrors, and uber-magic). It's unlikely to happen in the 6th World, either.

1cm per year would be considered fast moving in terms of plate tectonics, meaning some of the fastest moving plates might have moved 50 meters in that time period. There are a few places where that may have a significant impact (If I could find my handy plate map I'd list them) but mostly it won't do much. Major geologic or climatologic events (which could be triggered by Magic) will do more. If you need a real cataclysm add a meteor strike, Volcanoes, large earthquakes, tsunamis, mini ice ages, or large Hurricanes could all be used to reshape your map.

+Quote Post
PBTHHHHT
post Jun 28 2006, 05:53 PM
Post #25

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,327

QUOTE (hyzmarca)
http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...=11920&hl=blame!

Wow, I seem spastic in my posts in that thread... :P

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 06:59 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.