Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Plasteel weapons?, Probably an old question
Neruda's Ghost
post Jun 29 2006, 09:41 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,913

I used the search tool, but could find a reference. First off, is "plasteel" a special type of polymer that's as hard as steel? I remember that they make roads and buildings out of the stuff, so I'm assuming it's not terribly expensive.

Could a pistol and ammo components be made out of it to avoid metal detection? I'm trying to find a reasonable pretext to avoid this, rather than simply saying no to the player.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Jun 29 2006, 10:59 PM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

High impact and tensile strength does not ensure high temperature tolerance. The option in CC is for ceramic composition which increases the TN for MAD systems to detect the firearm.

Just say that it starts melting after 3 shots in one turn.

+Quote Post
Calvin Hobbes
post Jun 29 2006, 11:40 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,900

Hi-C rounds, as I recall, are Plasteel.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Jun 30 2006, 12:35 AM
Post #4

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

SR is not unique in using plasteel - it's actually come up in Frank Herbert's Dune series among other places. What it actually consists of has never been told - possibly a metallic polymer.

+Quote Post
Neruda's Ghost
post Jun 30 2006, 12:58 AM
Post #5

Target

Member No.: 5,913

Good for a couple of shots only. That's perfect.
Thanks, all.

+Quote Post
Tiralee
post Jun 30 2006, 05:10 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,585

Hi-C rounds, as I recall, are Plasteel.

Sorry CH, I think that you're mistaken.

I remember the HiC rounds as Densiplast, which is why they give a lower (from memory, -2 power) damage output when compared to normal rounds.

Man and machine, was it? I know it mentioned the "puzzler" gun system shortly afterward.

-Tir

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Jun 30 2006, 07:15 PM
Post #7

Runner

Member No.: 98

If memory serves, the "C" stood for cellulose.

Cannon Companion's ceramic composition option added a +2 to MADs per level, or at level 3 just made the gun nonmetallic.

+Quote Post
Glorian
post Jun 30 2006, 07:43 PM
Post #8

Target

Member No.: 8,597

QUOTE (Cannon Compendium @ p.38)

Hi-C plastic rounds are designed to be undetectable by magnetic anomaly detectors (MADs). Though the rounds are composed of densiplast, the powerful propellant charge contained within the rounds makes them almost damaging as regular rounds.

They only get reduced power for extreme range, because they lose velocity quickly due to lighter weight. Either Impact or Ballistic is used to resist. Recoil is doubled for their use.

I would assume that the "C" stands for ceramic. Cannon Compendium has rules for using ceramic parts in firearms to reduce detection by MAD systems.

+Quote Post
Brahm
post Jun 30 2006, 08:00 PM
Post #9

Shooting Target

Member No.: 8,006

It's page 38 in CC. They are densiplast (plastic) rounds, that are not detectable by a MAD. I would imagine that building the slugs out of the ceramics used for the weapon would be a bad idea, for at least the jacket. You typically want a realtively soft material for your slugs to allow it be molded to the rifling when shot (as opposed to being nearly as hard as the barrel's material and smoothing out the barrel or just flat out jamming and blowing up in your face). Although I suppose it is possible there are relatively "soft, plyable" ceramics it isn't something that they are known for. But that's really a question for a materials guy.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Jun 30 2006, 08:07 PM
Post #10

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

You could make the jacket out of plastic and the core out of ceramic. The biggest problem would be much lower projectile weight, leading to radically shortened range and lesser terminal effect -- which, to their credit, the writers of CC apparently understood. Still, something like -1 Power per range category beyond Short would be more reasonable than just -1 Power at Long and Extreme.

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Jun 30 2006, 08:22 PM
Post #11

Runner

Member No.: 98

I think that the Hi-C rounds were mostly aimed at the handgun-toting crowd, where that -1 power happens at 15-20 meters, and the round magically ceases to exist at 50-60 meters.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Jun 30 2006, 08:58 PM
Post #12

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

Oh, right. I was thinking of the ranges of firearms in my games. :)

+Quote Post
Catsnightmare
post Jul 1 2006, 12:58 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 90

QUOTE (Brahm)
It's page 38 in CC. They are densiplast (plastic) rounds, that are not detectable by a MAD. I would imagine that building the slugs out of the ceramics used for the weapon would be a bad idea, for at least the jacket. You typically want a realtively soft material for your slugs to allow it be molded to the rifling when shot (as opposed to being nearly as hard as the barrel's material and smoothing out the barrel or just flat out jamming and blowing up in your face). Although I suppose it is possible there are relatively "soft, plyable" ceramics it isn't something that they are known for. But that's really a question for a materials guy.

Teflon solves this issue IIRC. Hard material bullets used for armor piercing, are coated with Teflon so as to both mold to the barrel rifling and protect it from being stripped/smoothed out by the denser material bullet.

Raygun or someone more knowledgeable please correct me if I'm wrong on this.

+Quote Post
Dog
post Jul 1 2006, 02:17 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,025

In regards to justifying the existence of plasteel in the game world, you could say it's just a cheap compound that has no special benefits but to replace steel in many circumstances at a lower cost. That way, you can refer to it in all kinds of mundane circumstances, but don't have to worry about new rules.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 10:42 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.