Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 2065 Food, What is with Soy?
Demon_Bob
post Jul 2 2006, 02:34 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,226

I am trying to understand the reason why all food and drink in Shadowrun seems to be Soy-based.

Are Soy beans just that cheap and easy to grow?

Is there some Mega_Farming Corp that specializes in Soy?

If in Hong-Kong should this change to more of a rice-base?

What is the background on Soy supposed to be?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
John Campbell
post Jul 2 2006, 02:56 AM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 3,581

Because In Cyberpunk, Everyone Eats Soy.

As far as I can tell, that's the extent of the thought that went into it.

+Quote Post
The ubbergeek
post Jul 2 2006, 03:03 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,415

Not just soy, but things like mold extracts, planktons and krills, bref, anything cheap to make, who have many sues, and industrialise easily.

+Quote Post
Glorian
post Jul 2 2006, 03:09 AM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 8,597

Yes, basically, soybeans are cheap and easy to grow, are sturdy and can survive a great variety of climate changes, and a good source of protein and oil, especially compared to the amount of land you need for a cow. With soybean oil, all sorts of resins, plastics, paints, etc. can be made. There's an entry in the book Shadowtech if you want more details. I think Shadowtech mentions the Resource Rush causing a loss of 40% of arable land to landgrabs. There's even less because of toxins, pollution, etc. For a Hong Kong game, no reason to change it to rice. Asians consume just as much as soy as rice, and rice. Soymilk, tofu, soy sauce, etc. There's also gawd-awful natto. In fact, rice is difficult to cultivate in comparison and doesn't provide as much protein.

And yes, soy is a genre cliche in cyberpunk, for the above-mentioned reasons.

+Quote Post
JesterX
post Jul 2 2006, 03:17 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,390

Not only soy, but also Algea products.

The reason is that those crops are really easy/fast to grow, give them the taste that you want and they are great sources of proteins.

You can also make many things with soy (taken from Wikipedia) :

"Soybeans are also used in industrial products including oils, soap, cosmetics, resins, plastics, inks, crayons, solvents, and biodiesel. Soybeans are also used as fermenting stock to make a brand of vodka."

Beside, there is not many proteins in rice compared to the number of carbohydrates.

Rice, raw
Nutritional value per 100 g Energy 360 kcal 1510 kJ
Carbohydrates 79 g
Fat 0.6 g
Protein 7 g
Vitamin B6 0.15 mg 12% RDA
Water 13 g

However, the perfect human diet (varies from a country/source to another...) should consist of about 60% of carbohydrates, 25% lipids and only 15% of proteins.

For algae, it's said that there is enough under the sea to feed the actual human population for 100 years without even reseeding even once!

+Quote Post
Rock
post Jul 2 2006, 04:32 PM
Post #6

Target

Member No.: 8,734

Most things for the poor are made of soy...and Soylent.

+Quote Post
Drraagh
post Jul 2 2006, 10:48 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,631

I've heard a few different options for food in Shadowrun. Yes, most talk about Soy for those pretty much up to, and including, Low Lifestyle.

I've heard some about Kibble, which is vat-grown yeast, is the dry food you feed to your dog or cat, but made to be at least somewhat edible for people, even coming with flavor packets like ramen noodles. It's full of preservaties to keep it from going bad so that they can be bought in bulk when people can afford it and use it.

Some people probably also look into gardening. Either by hydroponics, if you can afford the electricity, or just in window boxes and on the roof. This gives you a supply of herbs, vegetables or whatever it is that you plant for cheap though acid rains and such can be a problem, but what you do grow can also be sold or traded for things you need.

One thing I can also see surviving the resource wars would be MRE foods. They could be released by corps as a way to feed the masses cheaply, or there could be stockpiles of it in old manufacturing plants, same with Twinkies and other such stuff. ;P

Then, you get into the higher lifestyles. In Medium, you probably have most meals made by stuff a step up from soy, like vat-grown meat substitutes, like "I-Can't-Believe-It's-Not-Cow" Hamburgers or "No Name" Chicken Fingers, and maybe every now and then you can spluge on an actual meat meal. High lifestyle, you probably have your own meat that you cook yourself or restaurants that know you by name. And last, is Luxury, where your butler cooks up the me at for you. ;)

So, soy is a good nutritional option as people have pointed out, and it's cheap, so the masses, living in coffin motels, dumpsters, or one room apartments, probably eat it as a way to live. Some may not even know of any better. But, at least in my view of the world, there are a few other options for people at the lower levels for food sources. Heck, I'm almost thinking of rewarding my players with a live chicken after one run for the heck of it. It could be better than cash in some ways. Keep it and you have fresh food every day, whereas sell it and you can live like a king for a while, or you can cook it for one good meal.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Jul 3 2006, 01:27 AM
Post #8

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

hmm, kibble. probably works ok as a cereal with water or soy-milk ;)

+Quote Post
Trax
post Jul 3 2006, 01:45 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,924

If you add water it makes it's own gravy.

+Quote Post
FanGirl
post Jul 3 2006, 01:58 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,438

QUOTE (Drraagh)
Heck, I'm almost thinking of rewarding my players with a live chicken after one run for the heck of it.

I literally LOLed when I read that. Will you throw in a fattened pig if they complete the run by next Michaelmas Eve? :D

+Quote Post
Calvin Hobbes
post Jul 3 2006, 03:38 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,900

Our first job was for free eats at a chinese revolutionary cuisine restaurant.

+Quote Post
Kremlin KOA
post Jul 3 2006, 04:20 AM
Post #12

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,650

QUOTE (FanGirl)
QUOTE (Drraagh @ Jul 2 2006, 05:48 PM)
Heck, I'm almost thinking of rewarding my players with a live chicken after one run for the heck of it.

I literally LOLed when I read that. Will you throw in a fattened pig if they complete the run by next Michaelmas Eve? :D

hmm what if they 'love' the chicken too muchh to eat it?

+Quote Post
Drraagh
post Jul 3 2006, 05:42 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

As I posted in the Metahuman biology thread, I had a character who was allergic to meat (I never really took elves a biologically unable to eat meat, so I made it as an allergy). Player took it as a flaw, an in most cases, it never made much of an issue seeing as they regularly ate soy and alternatives, but there were times where they would be required to eat meat, such as a meeting with the Johnson where they gave you a steak dinner as a sign of 'loyalty', I suppose. Or another one where it was a tribe ritual to join as an member of their tribe to eat stuff sort of like survivor.

So the chicken was another one of those sort of issues. Player can't really refuse the chicken if they want some payment for the run, but if they do take it, what are they going to do with it? I tend to like paying my runners in things other than cash, because it gives me opprotunies to develop events around. Say your fixer just got an item that they weren't sure exactly what it was, like the program the Finn had gotten in 'Burning Chrome'. It's just a matter of how you arrange it, I suppose.

Though, if you don't give out cash, it can get hard to give the rewards as well because the players don't want to lose money, so it's a mixed bag usually. Sometimes it's a side-quest trigger, other times it a red herring and other times its a one shot item like the Math Grenades from 'Pattern REcognition' or perhaps a 2nd Edition manuscript of Shakespear's plays.

+Quote Post
SL James
post Jul 3 2006, 06:33 AM
Post #14

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Group: Banned
From: Pissing on pedestrians from my electronic ivory tower.
Member No.: 7,473

QUOTE (Rock)

Heh. Soylent is (and is for) the poor. Long pig is for the wealthy. God bless capitalism.

+Quote Post
PBTHHHHT
post Jul 3 2006, 04:36 PM
Post #15

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,327

QUOTE (SL James)
QUOTE (Rock @ Jul 2 2006, 10:32 AM)

Heh. Soylent is (and is for) the poor. Long pig is for the wealthy. God bless capitalism.

*snicker* Thank goodness for History Channel. Yeah, let's have a bbq for the fourth, long pig will be on the menu!

+Quote Post
SL James
post Jul 3 2006, 06:09 PM
Post #16

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

The History Channel?

+Quote Post
PBTHHHHT
post Jul 3 2006, 06:22 PM
Post #17

Neophyte Runner

They had a special on Portland and it's infamous tunnels that people would use to 'shanghai' folks. They even talked about some of the conditions on the sailing ships for folks who were 'shanghai'd. Whenever the ship had trouble with provisions they'd be one of the first on the menu when the captain would say there'd be long pig for dinner tonight. Yummy.

+Quote Post
Demonseed Elite
post Jul 4 2006, 02:13 AM
Post #18

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 67

Is there some Mega_Farming Corp that specializes in Soy?

Aztechnology, for one.

If in Hong-Kong should this change to more of a rice-base?

There actually is discussion about rice, soy, and mycoprotein farms in the Hong Kong section of RH.

+Quote Post
SL James
post Jul 4 2006, 03:55 AM
Post #19

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Ah, yes. NatVat.

Anyway, PBTHHHHT, I was just thinking generally. It seems the wealthy would be the most likely to afford such a delicacy given the cost-prohibitive nature of raising long pig that didn't eat crap and live in its own filth in a disease-ridden, poor blah blah blah lifestyle. Whereas when you're making soylent... Who the fuck cares where the bodies came from? One is actually eating human, and the other is eating something that ate dead human bodies.

It is literally the difference between organic, free-range human or elf raised on a corporate compound to be meaty and tender vs. ... ick ... bacteria that ate SINless guttertrash trog you can find anywhere.

+Quote Post
PBTHHHHT
post Jul 5 2006, 02:55 PM
Post #20

Neophyte Runner

Well James, when you say Longpig, that's what I got the terminology from. You asked, I delivered.

Free range meat... hmmm... how about 'hunting expeditions'? Where corporate execs can go on 'safaris' to bag some good long pig for the buffet. In that case, well, adds the whole dimension of the most dangerous game into the factor also. Potential run/adventure?

+Quote Post
bclements
post Jul 5 2006, 05:05 PM
Post #21

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,021

I think SoA had something like that. Wealthy people eating teh Long Pig just because they could. I'll look up the page reference here in a bit.

+Quote Post
SL James
post Jul 5 2006, 05:38 PM
Post #22

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Well, I'm using the term as it was used in Transmet.

Anyway, I must say the idea does intrigue me. After all, human life really isn't worth much if anything in Shadowrun alive (even forced breeding is pretty damn slow compared to cloning). So why wouldn't there be a market for human by the kilo?

QUOTE (PBTHHHHT)
Free range meat... hmmm... how about 'hunting expeditions'?  Where corporate execs can go on 'safaris' to bag some good long pig for the buffet.  In that case, well, adds the whole dimension of the most dangerous game into the factor also.  Potential run/adventure?

Haven't you seen Surviving the Game and Hard Target? Eventually they'll hunt down someone who will kill all of the hunters instead in stupid action-movie style.

Anyway, I was actually thinking of healthy young overachieving corp brats.

+Quote Post
Drraagh
post Jul 7 2006, 11:10 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

I know this is a dead horse, but me and my friends were talking about this. I wonder what sort of labels you'll see on foods in SR. Perhaps 'Warning: This products may contain traces of meat', if you believes elves can't eat meat. Or what about food made from old newspaper pulp, "Warning: This product may contain traces of Peanuts Characters."

I decided to use part of it as my signature, but figured it'd be interesting to add for a bit of humor in your games.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Jul 7 2006, 11:32 PM
Post #24

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

QUOTE (SL James)
QUOTE (PBTHHHHT)
Free range meat... hmmm... how about 'hunting expeditions'?  Where corporate execs can go on 'safaris' to bag some good long pig for the buffet.  In that case, well, adds the whole dimension of the most dangerous game into the factor also.  Potential run/adventure?

Haven't you seen Surviving the Game and Hard Target? Eventually they'll hunt down someone who will kill all of the hunters instead in stupid action-movie style.

That's the entire point of hunting The Most Dangerous Game. If they couldn't kill you then they wouldn't be worthy of your skill.

+Quote Post
PBTHHHHT
post Jul 8 2006, 12:11 AM
Post #25

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (SL James @ Jul 5 2006, 12:38 PM)

Aye, I have seen those movies. And read the classic short story. Doesn't mean you can't use it. Yes, it's flawed and the hunters will become the hunted. It's standard cliche but heck, a lot of stories and such are recycled concepts anyway. Just file it away under oldies but goodies when you don't have a good original plot to work with.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 06:08 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.