Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Halferville, Help?!?
September
post Jul 5 2006, 08:48 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,185

I'm trying to put together an SR4 setting in San Francisco. A quick surf through the timeline explorer reveals little that would trip me up with canon, except for one thing; a few cryptic mentions of 'Halferville', 'Diablo Valley', and the 'East Bay Dwarves'.

Someone mind explaining what these refer to so I don't need to go dig up some 10-year-old rulebook for a few page's worth?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
September
post Jul 5 2006, 09:03 PM
Post #2

Target

*shameless bump*

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Jul 5 2006, 09:19 PM
Post #3

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,760

I just want to say it's pretty funny you bump a topic that's not even 30 minutes old.

I'd half to guess that, just like Orks, elves and ghouls, dwarves got a half-wit idea to make their own little community. No idea how successful they are, but they're never short on good puns.

+Quote Post
BrianL03
post Jul 5 2006, 10:02 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,504

I can't give you much, but SONA details Halferville as controlling the Caldecot Tunnel, a pivotal entryway for most of the East Bay residential areas. It seems they're militant enough to discourage Saito and the Japanacorps from moving in, but I don't know if it's anything more than a bedroom community. At the very least, it's got a lot of dwarves.

+Quote Post
SL James
post Jul 5 2006, 10:20 PM
Post #5

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Group: Banned
From: Pissing on pedestrians from my electronic ivory tower.
Member No.: 7,473

QUOTE (CFS @ 67)
Scattered around the bedroom communities, from near Walnut Creek almost down to Fremond and extending eastward toward Livermore, are a motley collection of survivalist dwarfs living in caves dug out of the hills surrounding San Fracisco Bay.

They had rebuilt the tunnel after the '48 earthquake and were given all manner of mineral and land rights in return for allowing others to use it.

+Quote Post
September
post Jul 5 2006, 10:26 PM
Post #6

Target

So the Caldecot tunnel is a highway? A shipping canal?

+Quote Post
Frag-o Delux
post Jul 5 2006, 10:32 PM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 2,316

Google.com gives this link http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist4/caldecott/history.htm I would say its a traffic tunnel.

+Quote Post
PlainWhiteSocks
post Jul 5 2006, 10:40 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,611

The Caldecot tunnel connects Oakland/Berkeley and Concord/Walnut Creek via highway 24. Highway 24 also connects highways 80 and 680. There's an alternate route (like all highways here in the US) that takes approx 25min longer.

Essentially, there's a big range of hills about 10 miles east of the SF bay, and a limited number of places to cross over them.

/*Edit more info from the books*/

It looks like Halferville is a maze of tunnels and chambers the run the entire length of the Hayward hills from Oakland/Berkeley to Fremont. That's about a 30 mile length. CFS says it's an engineering marvel and oddly beautiful. (CFS 67-69)

+Quote Post
BrianL03
post Jul 6 2006, 12:29 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,504

Socks,

Thanks for the added info on location. I didn't delve too much into the background of the tunnel, so when I read about it in SONA, I thought it to be underwater and going towards more the Hayward and Union City areas. Thanks to your added bits of info, it's now much more of a fun location in my book, rather than just some tunnel to isolate corpers.

Given, though, that Orkland/Berkeley's between San Fran and Walnut Creek, you'd think they'd have air transport instead.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th April 2024 - 06:43 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.