Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Glow City, Looking for some background
Telion
post Jul 7 2006, 06:11 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,547

Can someone give me some intel on the redmond barrens decline and glow city?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Jul 7 2006, 07:12 PM
Post #2

Ain Soph Aur

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 600

Glow City is a nuclear reactor that suffered a partial meltdown. It leaks radioactivity and is generally a smaller version of Chernobyl. However, despite the risks, a community of squatters installed itself around the reactor. They suffer from cancers, mutations and many health problems. A gang, The Rust Stilettoes, calls this place home.

The Redmond Barrens in general came to be during the Crash. The many IT companies went bankrupt, crashing the economy and then the local governement. Then poor people starting to move in and squat. The authorities stopped trying to fix the situation and abandonned it. It thus became a magnet for the poor and disenfranchised, turning into the Barrens.

+Quote Post
Telion
post Jul 7 2006, 08:43 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,547

Much of thanks. I figured it had to be something like that.

+Quote Post
Apathy
post Jul 8 2006, 04:47 AM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 6,046

If I remember correctly, Glow City is also the domain of a toxic shaman named Burning Bones, who thrives on the rad count, right?

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Jul 8 2006, 05:36 AM
Post #5

Ain Soph Aur

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 600

QUOTE (Apathy)
If I remember correctly, Glow City is also the domain of a toxic shaman named Burning Bones, who thrives on the rad count, right?

Yes the crazy bastard lived inside the reactor. However i think that info was pretty old so I just assumed he's dead by now.

+Quote Post
SL James
post Jul 8 2006, 05:52 AM
Post #6

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Group: Banned
From: Pissing on pedestrians from my electronic ivory tower.
Member No.: 7,473

Nah. The radiation probably made him even more dangerous since one would assume he'd either attune to it magically, or have a Radiation Shield spell (T:W), or both.

+Quote Post
Cray74
post Jul 8 2006, 04:28 PM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 2,860

QUOTE (Telion)
Can someone give me some intel on the redmond barrens decline and glow city?

Apparently, one of the features of the Shadowrun alternate history is that Western nuclear reactors eschewed containment domes, like the Russian designs, because in SR, there's a period where nuclear reactors are popping like a string of fire crackers.

+Quote Post
Kermit the Trog
post Jul 8 2006, 07:10 PM
Post #8

Target

Member No.: 4,764

When was glow city added to Seattle? I don't recall it from either of the Seattle books. Is it new with Runner Havens or was it added elsewhere?

+Quote Post
the_dunner
post Jul 8 2006, 08:00 PM
Post #9

Shooting Target

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,522

The first edition Seattle Sourcebook had a paragraph on it on p.130. The same write-up was essentially copied into New Seattle. (p.65) However, there was a bit more Shadowtalk added to it there.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:31 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.