Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Is cyberware important to hackers?
kakos
post Jul 12 2006, 07:27 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,869

So, I'm new to Shadowrun and I'm wanting to make a hacker character, but I didn't take any cyberware. My GM, who has been playing Shadowrun since 1st, tells me that in order to be a competitive hacker character, I should have a lot more cyberware, such as a datajack and an implanted commlink. However, in the book, I can't find any major benefits from these things in the rules. Am I missing something or did this change in 4th edition? If I am missing something, could you post a page in the book that lists of the importance of DNI to a hacker character?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Jul 12 2006, 07:51 AM
Post #2

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,465

You don't need cyberware to be a hacker in SR4. There are no inheritant bonuses doing something with an implant instead of externally. It's a convienence, not a requirement in SR4. With the new freedoms hackers enjoy it allows anyone with the desire to hack.

+Quote Post
Taki
post Jul 12 2006, 08:00 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,343

Yes you need cyberware to be on the top ...
have any reflexe augmentation, to have more IP in AR.

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Jul 12 2006, 08:26 AM
Post #4

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Taki)
Yes you need cyberware to be on the top ...
have any reflexe augmentation, to have more IP in AR.

Magic would work too, PhysAd or a Mage and they dont need cyberware. AR is good, but if things get rough, full hot-VR is where it's at.

+Quote Post
ornot
post Jul 12 2006, 08:38 AM
Post #5

Running Target

Member No.: 8,638

I agee with Grinder. Hackers don't need 'ware. However, unlike magic users or technomancers, you don't gain anything by not having it. There has been some debate about the brokeness of being allowed to use AR as fast as VR through meat body initiative augmentation, so I don't think that's a particularly valid reason.... it depends on the GM.

You might be better served amping your hacking gear to the top levels in SR4 as a datajack can be replaced with trodes for a DNI, and an implanted comlink only means that it can't be taken away from you. If you plan on doing any rigging then a control rig implant might not be a bad idea. It's cheap in terms of essence and gives you +2 dice that you won't have otherwise.

On the flip-side, you could buy a bunch of 'ware and develop some kind of Sam/Hacker hybrid. Still boost your hacking skills and gear, but also get a good combat skill and invest in the 'ware to use it (initiative, body and strength or agility augmentation). That is somewhat twinked out but it will expand your character's usefulness.

I would be inclined to tell your GM either that you intend to invest in 'ware later, just to get him off your back, or tell him not to tell you how to run your character.

+Quote Post
Slump
post Jul 12 2006, 09:37 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,492

QUOTE (ornot)
There has been some debate about the brokeness of being allowed to use AR as fast as VR through meat body initiative augmentation, so I don't think that's a particularly valid reason.... it depends on the GM.

Personally, I say meatworld speed augmentation helps out in full VR, simply because you have trained yourself to have faster reaction speeds.

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Jul 12 2006, 05:57 PM
Post #7

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Slump)
QUOTE (ornot @ Jul 12 2006, 03:38 AM)
There has been some debate about the brokeness of being allowed to use AR as fast as VR through meat body initiative augmentation, so I don't think that's a particularly valid reason.... it depends on the GM.

Personally, I say meatworld speed augmentation helps out in full VR, simply because you have trained yourself to have faster reaction speeds.

But an amp'd up nervous system (Cyberware) isn't the same a training yourself (Attributes) to react better. I don't see how Cyberware will help VR unless it somehow boosts/assists your mental processing abilities.

+Quote Post
Dale
post Jul 12 2006, 06:13 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,088

Of course Cyberware is important to hackers . Cyberware is aweseome, all the cool kids are doing it.

+Quote Post
Geekkake
post Jul 12 2006, 06:39 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,372

Save your Essence for Augmentations. Gimme gimme my Encephalon and Math Co-Processor!

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon
post Jul 12 2006, 07:03 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,754

Ceribral boosters are handy (especially with the common logic + skill limited by program houserule). Rigging also syncronizes well with hacking, so you could get a control rig and some drones/vehicle. I always recommend wired 2 (maybe synaptic boosters 2) with mundanes, which will help your combat abilities and AR hacking. Other than that, there's nothing that really helps hacking. Your GM is in the old edition mindset by thinking you need a datajack or implanted commlink - the only reason to get them is the convenience of not being able to lose them. Until that comes up in a game, I wouldn't bother (unless it fits with your flavor concept). Every shadowrunner should have some combat ability to make them well rounded. If I were you, I'd get the above 3 pieces of ware, some platelet factories, and other combat stuff that fits with the flavor of your character such as muscle toners or bone lacing.

+Quote Post
Schaeffer
post Jul 12 2006, 08:30 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,876

I'm new to the game, and had a similar question to the one Kakos posted. The answer's kind of dissappointing though, because the idea that anyone can "hack" takes away the "uniqueness" decker-characters seemed to have in earlier editions. One of the staples of the genre seems lacking now. Will the world of 2070 have anyone along the lines of FastJack or Dodger?

Don't get me wrong though. It just makes it more likely the team I'm part of will actually have a character who can hack, rather than farm the job out to an NPC (like we often had to do for a decker). That seems to be a good thing.

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Jul 12 2006, 08:39 PM
Post #12

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Schaeffer)
I'm new to the game, and had a similar question to the one Kakos posted. The answer's kind of dissappointing though, because the idea that anyone can "hack" takes away the "uniqueness" decker-characters seemed to have in earlier editions. One of the staples of the genre seems lacking now. Will the world of 2070 have anyone along the lines of FastJack or Dodger?

Don't get me wrong though. It just makes it more likely the team I'm part of will actually have a character who can hack, rather than farm the job out to an NPC (like we often had to do for a decker). That seems to be a good thing.

Does the fact we can all get cyberware, shoot guns and drive a car fast make us all Samuari, Gun-bunnies and Riggers? Although hacking is easily available to the masses, it does take character focus (on hacking) and a player's desire to hack.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Jul 12 2006, 08:41 PM
Post #13

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,957

Being a fully functional and dedicated hacker is still completely possible. Covering all the bases takes a lot of BP. You can be a good xxx and mediocre hacker, a good hacker and mediocre xxx, or an amazing hacker with a little extra abilities somewhere else. The differences between a dabbler and a full blown hacker will grow with new ware and Unwired.

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon
post Jul 12 2006, 08:51 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,754

QUOTE (Schaeffer)

It takes a large investment in skills and software that most characters are unwilling to buy. Cracking 4 and Electronics 4 alone is 80 BP - almost 1/4 of your starting BP, and you're still not maxing your potential for a starting hacker's skills.

+Quote Post
NoseyGoblin
post Jul 12 2006, 11:04 PM
Post #15

Target

Member No.: 8,877

If you like the idea of hackers needing 'ware, you could give a +1 dice pool mod to those hacking via implant 'ware. And a solid penalty to those hacking without trodes or anything, as you just can't ue the buttons on a comlink fast enough!

I'm still making my way through that chapter of the book (finally broken down and changed from my SR2/3 hybrid home rules - gotta stay SOTA, dontcha know...), though, so I'm not sure how big a deal that modifier would be.

Goblin

+Quote Post
Schaeffer
post Jul 13 2006, 12:29 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,876

I'm in the same leaky boat as you are, Nosey. Welcome aboard :D

+Quote Post
TBRMInsanity
post Jul 13 2006, 01:30 PM
Post #17

Running Target

Member No.: 8,494

QUOTE (kakos)
So, I'm new to Shadowrun and I'm wanting to make a hacker character, but I didn't take any cyberware. My GM, who has been playing Shadowrun since 1st, tells me that in order to be a competitive hacker character, I should have a lot more cyberware, such as a datajack and an implanted commlink. However, in the book, I can't find any major benefits from these things in the rules. Am I missing something or did this change in 4th edition? If I am missing something, could you post a page in the book that lists of the importance of DNI to a hacker character?

In the older versions of SR, a Decker (previous version of a hacker) was only as good as their cyberware. You would tech out everything (extra memory, skillwires, datajack, the works). Now all you need is trodes and a commlink and your good to go. This is so people can now play the ever rare hacker mage (something you couldn't really do in older versions of the game). The matrix is becoming accessible to everyone.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 07:12 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.