Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Commlinks + starting software?
Abbandon
post Jul 12 2006, 12:08 PM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,716

What all software does a comm come with? It looked like you have to even buy common programs for it before it could actually do anything? I think the only one that said it was default and free was scan(1) ?

Do you guys think its fair that upon character creation the first time anyone meets a hacker they are trying to solicite him to download all of his killer programs onto their coms? Do you make runners buy programs off a hacker or do you just let them upgrade for free??
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Jul 12 2006, 12:45 PM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

the BP system is intended to represent what a character starts off with. if they are going to start, as of 5 seconds into the game, with a bunch of programs, i would require them to pay BP for those programs. (naturally, 1 BP per 5k nuyen worth)

of course, if the hacker has to spend hours cracking the protection on each of his programs multiple times, it would not necessarily be OOC for him to just tell these people to go buy their own.

particularly since it only makes sense that the team would not have shared programs before start unless they were a team before start, i would probably require them to lose BP elsewhere or take a flaw to compensate...

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Jul 12 2006, 01:28 PM
Post #3

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

err, keep in mind that a newly created runner isnt some pimple-faced first level commoner ;)

all their equipment, skills and contacts come from what they have been doing up to that point in time. so basicly, if the player(s) cant explain where the stuff comes from, maybe they should not have it ;)

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Jul 12 2006, 01:56 PM
Post #4

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,957

Jaid: I don't think you have to crack copy protection multiple times. I don't have abook handy to look it up though, so could be wrong.

I don't think it's wrong of them to ask the first computer savvy guy they meet for a bunch of free programs, but it could be odd of the guy to agree. That depends on the hacker though. Someone who would be putting all his programs up on FreeHackedPrograms.com anyway might hand them over no questions asked. Someone who is a bit more paranoid or mercenary may refuse in case they're agents trying to arrest them, or might ask for payment.

+Quote Post
Abbandon
post Jul 12 2006, 03:02 PM
Post #5

Shooting Target

Member No.: 8,716

Hey dont neglect my first question. What if any programs do you get when you buy a comm off the shelf?

+Quote Post
Jrayjoker
post Jul 12 2006, 03:09 PM
Post #6

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,675

Microsoft Works, version 1.0

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Jul 12 2006, 03:11 PM
Post #7

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Group: Admin
Member No.: 7,667

QUOTE (Jrayjoker)
Microsoft Works, version 1.0

Bob

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Jul 12 2006, 05:54 PM
Post #8

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,465

QUOTE (James McMurray)
I don't think it's wrong of them to ask the first computer savvy guy they meet for a bunch of free programs, but it could be odd of the guy to agree. That depends on the hacker though. Someone who would be putting all his programs up on FreeHackedPrograms.com anyway might hand them over no questions asked. Someone who is a bit more paranoid or mercenary may refuse in case they're agents trying to arrest them, or might ask for payment.

It sounds like an Etiquette Test maybe since I can see some folks reacting either way. Someone might give you all their ulta-hot 2066 stuff and thanks to SOTA, it's now all Rating 2. :P

+Quote Post
ornot
post Jul 13 2006, 12:22 AM
Post #9

Running Target

Member No.: 8,638

I think the only starting program you get is Scan. You don't need a specific program to use the comlink to communicate and suchlike so assume that's part of the OS.

I would make the characters buy their own programs if they want to do anything special with their comlinks, although if they want to pinch the hacker's hard earnt programs and he agrees then fair enough. I would make them roleplay out the interaction, and would require some significant indication that they weren't just metagaming.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Jul 13 2006, 12:37 AM
Post #10

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

one can allso take a look at google to see a possible future.

mail, calendar, and lately spreadsheets and wordprosessing "software", all avilable by using a web browser.

while there are currently no rules for using say a browse program thats available on a node, i would have no problems with it. another options is matrix search nodes that basicly allow you to ask one of their resident agents to go do a matrix search.

thing is, that by having your own software, you dont have to worry about being tracked. rember that google indexes all your mail so that they can supply you with adds that may interest you.

so i would not be surprised if joe wageslave could get his daily matrix tasks done without having software installed.

hmm, it may allso be that you could rent said software pr use. given that storage is no longer, you may not have the software installed but rather rents it pr use, hour, day, month and so on.

heh, kinda like shareware in a way. and today there is a whole lot of cracks floating around the net for all kinds of software thats available as shareware...

+Quote Post
WhiskeyMac
post Jul 13 2006, 03:31 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,789

Abbandon, in this case I would do it kind of like buying a new computer or getting a new cellphone. Every service beyond just basic functionality costs extra, i.e. unlimited text messages, Microsoft XP Professional, etc. I would say the commlink starts off with the bundled software of analyze, browse, edit and scan at level 1. Everything from there is an upgrade. I'm sure not every commlink user wants to use drones so they don't bundle command. Not every user is security conscious so no encrypt. Reality filter is probably a hot seller though so it might be bundled but it's probably an off-the-shelf generic atmosphere (fantasy, sci-fi, gothic, etc.).

Hope that helps answer your question.

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon
post Jul 13 2006, 06:26 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,754

In my games, name brand operating systems come with all of the rating 1 common programs.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 09:00 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.