Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What's the etiquette for a convention game?, Gencon '06
RiotGearEpsilon
post Jul 16 2006, 11:15 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,902

I've signed up for a convention game of Shadowrun 4th at Gencon '06, "Babysitting at 40,000 Feet". It's a 'BYOC' game, or 'bring your own character'. I've never played such a game before; what's the etiquette? Should I bring two or three viable characters to make sure that I'll have a character who can work with the group?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Jul 16 2006, 11:36 PM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,957

If the game's description doesn't way otherwise the character will be provided for you.

+Quote Post
Adam
post Jul 17 2006, 12:11 AM
Post #3

Prime Runner

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 51

If it doesn't specify otherwise, starting characters are assumed -- it can't hurt to bring an extra character or two [and that might come in handy in case someone else forgets to bring one...]

Usually the premise of a BOYC game involves a bunch of characters being thrown together in an odd situation, so "group meshing" isn't always assumed, and in some cases isn't the goal at all. :-)

+Quote Post
RiotGearEpsilon
post Jul 17 2006, 02:29 AM
Post #4

Target

Would it be alright for me to post my characters here for feedback, since I'm new at this?

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Jul 17 2006, 02:40 AM
Post #5

Chicago Survivor

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,033

We're usually up for nitpicking someone else's work.
And, welcome aboard.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Jul 17 2006, 02:46 AM
Post #6

Great Dragon

Be prepared to have what you think is a great idea torn to shreds by countless uncaring bastards. :)

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Jul 17 2006, 03:09 AM
Post #7

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Member No.: 5,698

Initiation the DS way. :D

+Quote Post
craigpierce
post Jul 17 2006, 03:17 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,599

"it can't hurt to bring an extra character or two [and that might come in handy in case someone else forgets to bring one...]"

i agree with that - and being prepaired like that is always a bonus in the GMs eyes.

plus the extra characters come in handy if you play any other BYOC games or pickup games later in the con. that way you won't have to play the same character over and over.

just don't be worried - the con's are fun and informal - we're all just there to get our game on. and, unless something changes (and things always change, trust me :)), you've got Betsy for a GM and she's awsome.

i hope you signed up for the tournment - the tourny is easily the most fun.

good luck - see you there!

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Jul 17 2006, 05:10 AM
Post #9

ghostrider

Member No.: 6,333

Con etiquette? Shower, use deoderant, and don't eat Doritos and grab other gamers' stuff.

:D

+Quote Post
FanGirl
post Jul 17 2006, 05:28 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,438

And if you must hit on any female gamers that may or may not be there, for God's sake be tasteful about it. :P

+Quote Post
BrianL03
post Jul 17 2006, 05:48 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,504

QUOTE (FanGirl)
And if you must hit on any female gamers that may or may not be there, for God's sake be tasteful about it. :P

Use of "Do you want to see my Ares Predator?" is *not* tasteful.

+Quote Post
RiotGearEpsilon
post Jul 17 2006, 06:07 AM
Post #12

Target

My general plan is to create a social Adept. He's not terribly bright, so he doesn't know many languages; he uses a top of the line commlink with linguasofts to compensate. On the downside, this has left him open to a rather nasty BTL addiction, one which has led him to ignore his health to the point that his physical stats are all average or poorly maintained.

My concern is that I'm not sure how to build a commlink that can run his linguasofts and keep a sim module open without leaving him open to hackers who'll jump in to his commlink and leave him trapped in a virtual world - so I need advice on how to build a commlink with good IC, on the cheap, to save money to buy good linguasoft. After all, all my talent could go to waste if some hacker replaces the database of my linguasoft so I'm really saying, "You're a corpulant drek-sucker who ought to be buried," when I meant to say, "That's a wonderful suit that you're wearing this evening."

I'll need Analyze 5 (to detect hacking attempts, 500 :nuyen:), Firewall 5 (2,500 :nuyen:), System 5 (2,500 :nuyen:), Hermes Ikon with Response 4->5 Upgrade (3,000 :nuyen: plus 4,000 :nuyen: for 7,000 :nuyen:), a Databomb 5 program to write over all my linguasofts (5,000 :nuyen:), and, of course, a good IC 5 (12,500 :nuyen: )

That's a total of 30,000, or 6 BP. Quite a bit, but quite a lot of security for the cost. However, it might be too much. Thoughts?

+Quote Post
Birdy
post Jul 17 2006, 08:11 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,528

QUOTE (BrianL03)
QUOTE (FanGirl @ Jul 17 2006, 12:28 AM)

Unless you really have a Ares Predator in a shoulder rig. In that case it might be tasteful. Or at least a reason for the local SWAT to show up.

+Quote Post
mmu1
post Jul 17 2006, 12:27 PM
Post #14

Running Target

Member No.: 6,058

QUOTE (RiotGearEpsilon @ Jul 17 2006, 02:07 AM)
Thoughts?

Keep a couple of things in mind - no one is really going to get to know your character, and appreciate his personality quirks. (there's nothing wrong with creating the backstory for yourself, of course) It's a one-off game. Which is also why many convention games at least try to be fast-paced and involve a lot of action - so I'm not sure how much mileage you'll get out of a social adept in that kind of setting.

Of course, it could turn out to be a game where hardly any shots get fired, but I'd suggest going with a character that can at least hold his own if the game turn out to be a shooting spree.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Jul 17 2006, 01:09 PM
Post #15

Great Dragon

Also, even with the easiesr rules in SR4, a lot of GMs will probably avoid any major decking excursions, so you may not want to make a dedicated decker. Someone that can fight well and has decent computer skills could work well.

+Quote Post
KarmaInferno
post Jul 17 2006, 03:50 PM
Post #16

Old Man Jones

Member No.: 1,699

I'll chime in and agree that a social heavy-roleplay character might not be the best for one-off events.

It's an event that needs to finish in 4-5 hours, tops. There's isn't really that much time for extended social interaction. Often such events are mostly combat runs.

That said, best thing to do is contact the people running the event. Only they know what would work best.

+Quote Post
Lindt
post Jul 17 2006, 04:20 PM
Post #17

Man In The Machine

Member No.: 1,105

QUOTE (eidolon)
Con etiquette? Shower, use deoderant, and don't eat Doritos and grab other gamers' stuff.

:D

Yes... please, please, PLEASE be clean. The last thing you want to have happen as a GM is having that stinky guy in the wolf t shirt showing up and rampently polluting the entire room.
There are some GMs who have been known to pack soap and febreeze along with their table props...

So its not MooCow doing the BYOC this year? Either way, Id suggest making an effective charcter over an efficent one.

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Jul 17 2006, 04:37 PM
Post #18

ghostrider

Member No.: 6,333

Speaking of GenCon, when is the latest I can reasonably expect to still be able to buy a badge? I'm on an extended road trip, and I don't know if I'll be able to make it yet, so I haven't bought one.

+Quote Post
RiotGearEpsilon
post Jul 17 2006, 04:40 PM
Post #19

Target

I've got, like, 16 social dice with the charisma and the kinesics and the Improved Ability (all the Influence group). I don't have to do any extended roleplay, I just describe the fast talk and roll the bones.

I'm a very clean person, truly. I'll be minty fresh.

Regarding a badge? You can buy one on arrival, theoretically, but it'll cost extra. Of course, it's already too late for pre-reg, so it'd already cost extra.

+Quote Post
mmu1
post Jul 17 2006, 05:33 PM
Post #20

Running Target

Member No.: 6,058

QUOTE (eidolon)
Speaking of GenCon, when is the latest I can reasonably expect to still be able to buy a badge? I'm on an extended road trip, and I don't know if I'll be able to make it yet, so I haven't bought one.

I was actually talking about that to a friend that goes every year (I've been thinking about going, didn't know if I'd have time off, and I missed the deadline for pre-registration) and he seemed to think that if you're not going to pre-order your badge on the internet, pretty much the only way of getting one on the spot without wasting hours in the process, is to get there quite early on the very first day of the con.

+Quote Post
craigpierce
post Jul 17 2006, 05:37 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

taken directly from their site:

Gen Con Indy 2006 Registration

Badge Registration: February 6th (Noon PST) - June 23rd (Noon PST).
Event Registration: May 1st (Noon PST) - June 23rd (Noon PST).
Extended Pre-Registration: June 23rd (Noon PST) - July 21st (Noon PST).
For more information, go to www.gencon.com.
You must purchase a badge in order to purchase event tickets.

Badge Type | Pre-Registration Cost | Extended Pre-Registration Cost | Onsite Cost
4 Day Badge |$65* | $75** | $75**
Thursday Badge | $35* | $45** | $45**
Friday Badge |$35* | $45** | $45**
Saturday Badge |$35* | $45** | $45**
Sunday Badge |$25* | $35** | $35**

*Prices include shipping (inside the US only) and tax.
**Prices include tax.
***Extended Pre-Registration badges can only be picked up at Will Call. These badges will not be shipped.

+Quote Post
craigpierce
post Jul 17 2006, 05:40 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

QUOTE (mmu1)
...pretty much the only way of getting one on the spot without wasting hours in the process, is to get there quite early on the very first day of the con.

ya - if you need to register for a badge or for games onsite, be ready to WAIT. showing up early does help - but don't underestimate a gamer's willingness to get up early to get in a line :)

what am i saying? "Get up early"? I mean stay up all night and show up early :)

+Quote Post
craigpierce
post Jul 17 2006, 05:44 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

on the side:

there are 3 spots left for the tourny:

Third Law - Thursday at 7pm

it goes for 3 nights, but you sign up for Thursday night and then it's elimination from there.

+Quote Post
X-Kalibur
post Jul 17 2006, 06:29 PM
Post #24

Runner

Member No.: 8,626

QUOTE (BrianL03)
QUOTE (FanGirl @ Jul 17 2006, 12:28 AM)

Why yes, that IS a power focus in my pocket.

+Quote Post
the_dunner
post Jul 17 2006, 06:44 PM
Post #25

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,522

QUOTE (archimagus)
it goes for 3 nights, but you sign up for Thursday night and then it's elimination from there.

That is NOT correct. All players play all 3 nights. (Same player teams, but a different GM each night.) It is a NON-elimination event.

Check the old episodes of TheScreamSheet podcast -- Moo did a nice interview about how the Tournament is run in one of the first few.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 10:55 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.