IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New Shadowrun video game from Microsoft?, Anyone have opinions on this?
Cleremond
post Jul 17 2006, 04:24 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,813

Not sure if this is the right thread for this post or not.....modders should move it if necessary.

I'm writing to bring to everyone's attention the new Shadowrun video game that Microsoft is publishing as a supposed flagship game for the X-Box 360 and Windows Vista.

Check it out at http://www.shadowrun.com

Prepare yourself though.....its not gonna be what yer expecting.

From what I've gathered, the game, even though it bears the Shadowrun lable, will actually have nothing to do with the rich history and lore that permiates our beloved RPG. Its also a repetative squad based FPS game, instead of the rich Deus Ex'esque RPG we have all been hoping for.

I'm curious about eveyone's impressions and what they think. If you are disappointed or upset, please take time to register and voice your concerns here:

http://forums.shadowrun.com/forums/thread/115.aspx

Later chummers....
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Jul 17 2006, 04:35 PM
Post #2

ghostrider

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,333

Yes, tons of us have opinions on it. Most of the opinions can be summed up by saying

What a horrible fucking atrocity, kill the fuckers that made it/make it.

Do a search on here and over at the official forum for the game. You'll see several variations on the theme.

+Quote Post
SuperFly
post Jul 17 2006, 06:58 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,132

Word.

+Quote Post
X-Kalibur
post Jul 17 2006, 07:43 PM
Post #4

Runner

Member No.: 8,626

I personally believe it could be a decent squad-based FPS. But they should have never thrown the Shadowrun label on it.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Jul 17 2006, 07:45 PM
Post #5

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,957

Ditto here.

+Quote Post
Wolfshade
post Jul 17 2006, 07:58 PM
Post #6

Target

Member No.: 8,647

I put it on par with yhe so called D+D Movie. Kind looks like Shadowrun, Has something like Shadowrun stuff in it..........but it ain't Shadowrun nomatter what the box says

+Quote Post
Lagomorph
post Jul 17 2006, 09:11 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,832

Cleremond, I think you struck a sore spot on DS :-P

I hope that the game does well, but I'll never play it because I don't own a 360, and even if I did, I still wouldn't play it.

+Quote Post
Cleremond
post Jul 17 2006, 09:39 PM
Post #8

Target

QUOTE (Lagomorph)
Cleremond, I think you struck a sore spot on DS :-P

Well, I've been voicing some displeasure on the game's forum, and checked about 3 or 4 pages in on each board here at DS and didn't see it even mentioned so...I figured I'd post.

Just wanting to find out if you guys were as disappointed as me.

+Quote Post
FanGirl
post Jul 17 2006, 09:56 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,438

Your Search-Fu is weak!

Check the menu in the the upper-right corner of the page, just under your log-in info. Click on the 4th item from the left, "Search," then type the terms you're looking for into the search thingy that comes up. In just a few seconds, all the posts containing those terms will come up.

Yeah, there was an explosion of outrage about this game shortly after it was first promoted at E3, like, forever ago. I'm sorry, but you're a little behind the times. :D

+Quote Post
Technocrat
post Jul 17 2006, 10:14 PM
Post #10

Target

Member No.: 8,903

Yeah, I found that thing the other day...it's a cryin' shame isn't it?

I've got a set of brass-knuckles...let's work 'em over, fer what they done!

+Quote Post
Brahm
post Jul 17 2006, 11:41 PM
Post #11

Shooting Target

Member No.: 8,006

QUOTE (FanGirl @ Jul 17 2006, 04:56 PM)
Your Search-Fu is weak! 

Check the menu in the the upper-right corner of the page, just under your log-in info.  Click on the 4th item from the left, "Search," then type the terms you're looking for into the search thingy that comes up.  In just a few seconds, all the posts containing those terms will come up.

Yeah, there was an explosion of outrage about this game shortly after it was first promoted at E3, like, forever ago.  I'm sorry, but you're a little behind the times. :D

Explosions of outrage on DSF are like rain showers in Seattle. If there isn't one today and there wasn't one yesterday then chances are good your aren't where you think you are. ;)

Oddly enough nearly a 1/3 of people that answered the poll here said they'd either be buying it or would consider it. Given the system requirements for the game (Vista or Xbox360) and the market they seem to be targeting that strikes me as higher than you'd expect given the bile spewed.

Going back to some research done by Wizards of the Coast about 6 years ago there was at that time surprisingly little overlap, something like 35%, between people that purchased computer games regularly and people that played pen and paper RPGs regularly. It is probably a little higher now, maybe moreso among people that are focused on a futuristic set game. But still given that the number of 30% on a pen and paper board is pretty good.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Jul 18 2006, 12:15 AM
Post #12

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

QUOTE (Wolfshade)
I put it on par with yhe so called D+D Movie. Kind looks like Shadowrun, Has something like Shadowrun stuff in it..........but it ain't Shadowrun nomatter what the box says

that first d&d movie was out there, way out there.

but that second one was closer to the source (yep they have made two), including being able to id some of the spells used, and some of the risks of using them.

still, given that the leader of the dev team for this game have steated that he more or less hated SR, i dont think any game after this will be closer to the source.

+Quote Post
Beaumis
post Jul 18 2006, 12:28 AM
Post #13

Target

Member No.: 8,223

It'll prolly be an ok game that becomes a thorn in RPGers eyes because it has the SR lable. But quite honestly, what do you expect. I've read about Microsoft obtaining the licence, but I didnt read about them hiring SR writers or Fans to do the game. That's the problem in a nutshell.

It'll still sell. It just wont sell as much to SR gamers as it will to the usual FPS crowd.

+Quote Post
Adam
post Jul 18 2006, 05:05 AM
Post #14

Prime Runner

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (hobgoblin)
still, given that the leader of the dev team for this game have steated that he more or less hated SR, i dont think any game after this will be closer to the source.

Please provide a relevant quote. I don't recall that being said -- if you're talking about Mitch's first blog entry from a few months back, he basically said "It's damned hard to make a game based on an existing universe that pleases fans of the universe and is accessible to new gamers."

http://shadowrun.com/behindthescenes/teamb...5-8-06_blog.htm

With all the potential problems with the Microsoft Shadowrun computer game, I don't think it's fair to make up fictions about what the developers thing.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Jul 18 2006, 05:09 AM
Post #15

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

eh, mneh. i'm not personally going to make stuff up about them--but when it comes down to fairness, i don't think it's very fair of the MS devs to walk all over the license, either. so i can't summon up much sympathy when someone walks all over them.

and speaking of walking all over people, i don't think very much of Mitch. to elaborate (within the bounds of truthfullness) on Adam's paraphrase of Mitch's words, Mitch basically said that it'd be hard to please the fans of all the different SR lines out there--fans of the novel line, fans of the Sega game, fans of the SNES game, and fans of the PnP game.

which is a truly moronic thing to say. how big a following do the Sega, SNES, and novel lines have outside of the PnP player base? i'm going to go out on a limb here, and say that the followings for those lines are, seperate from the RPG, non-existant. market research is your friend, Mitch.

+Quote Post
underaneonhalo
post Jul 18 2006, 05:27 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,736

I agree, I was furios when the first D&D movie came out but the second movie was fraggin awesome, especially considering it was a made for tv 2 parter.

Best case scenario, it fails so miserably that microsoft decides the license is crap and (unlikely) pawns it off to someone who actually wants it.

Worst case scenario, it does so well that microsoft release a string of "shadowrun" games sparking an interest in the P&P version leading to huge sales for FanPro who at the demand of their money laden 13 year old consumers change the official canon to match *vomits a little* the video game. Within 3 years Shadowrun is the new D20 with a swarm of power gaming munchkins melting mommys credit card to by the latest $40 "source book version 3.5.2 extended directors cut revised edition+++". Remember the GM's job is to kill the players and show them who the real boss is!

Yeah I think a nerve has been touched with me...

+Quote Post
Adam
post Jul 18 2006, 05:31 AM
Post #17

Prime Runner

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (mfb)
and speaking of walking all over people, i don't think very much of Mitch. to elaborate (within the bounds of truthfullness) on Adam's paraphrase of Mitch's words, Mitch basically said that it'd be hard to please the fans of all the different SR lines out there--fans of the novel line, fans of the Sega game, fans of the SNES game, and fans of the PnP game.

which is a truly moronic thing to say. how big a following do the Sega, SNES, and novel lines have outside of the PnP player base? i'm going to go out on a limb here, and say that the followings for those lines are, seperate from the RPG, non-existant. market research is your friend, Mitch.

Oh, don't get me wrong -- I don't agree with Mitch, and while I understand what he's trying to say and do, I think Microsoft took the idea way too far. I just believe there's enough damning evidence/feelings against this project without saying things like "Mitch said he basically hates SR." And, of course, if I've missed Mitch saying that he hates SR, which is possible, as I'm not paying much attention to the computer game, I'll totally retract this.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Jul 18 2006, 05:33 AM
Post #18

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

true. if you resort to making stuff up, it makes your side look bad.

+Quote Post
Beaumis
post Jul 18 2006, 07:36 AM
Post #19

Target

Member No.: 8,223

I'd argue that. I know a not that small chunk of people who read the novels but persistently keep refusing to play the game. Granted most of them are gamers. They just arent runners. Kinda comes to the same though. None of them would consider SR an FPS as far as I can tell.
I agree about the console part though. I doubt these have much of a fan base beyond the PnP crowd.

+Quote Post
SL James
post Jul 18 2006, 09:02 AM
Post #20

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Group: Banned
From: Pissing on pedestrians from my electronic ivory tower.
Member No.: 7,473

More importantly, the lines all share the same historical lineage.

+Quote Post
Kalvan
post Jul 18 2006, 09:20 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,583

QUOTE (underaneonhalo @ Jul 18 2006, 12:27 AM)
Best case scenario, it fails so miserably that microsoft decides the license is crap and (unlikely) pawns it off to someone who actually wants it.

Worst case scenario, it does so well that microsoft release a string of "shadowrun" games sparking an interest in the P&P version leading to huge sales for FanPro who at the demand of their money laden 13 year old consumers change the official canon to match *vomits a little* the video game. Within 3 years Shadowrun is the new D20 with a swarm of power gaming munchkins melting mommys credit card to by the latest $40 "source book version 3.5.2 extended directors cut revised edition+++". Remember the GM's job is to kill the players and show them who the real boss is!

Yeah I think a nerve has been touched with me...

Personally, I think the real best case scenario is that an overwhelming sense of guilt and shame spurs Mitch into a rampage through the FASA Interactive and Microsoft offices a la the ending of Sword of Doom, but unlike Ryonosuke, Mitch actually makes it to Bill Gates, then heats up his sword to forging temperature before turning it on himself.

I agree on the worst case scenario, though.

+Quote Post
Nidhogg
post Jul 18 2006, 09:27 AM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,934

I wouldn't even mind the gross erring from canon if the game didn't look so goddamn stupid. Seriously, summoning a tree? What the fuck is up with that?

+Quote Post
Brahm
post Jul 18 2006, 12:45 PM
Post #23

Shooting Target

QUOTE (underaneonhalo)

To give someone else even an outside chance to shine where they choked? :rotfl: Congratulations, that unlikely just got you nominated for a DSF Understatement of the Month Award. :cyber:

+Quote Post
Cleremond
post Jul 18 2006, 01:16 PM
Post #24

Target

Hehe....looks like they took their forums down at www.shadowrun.com due to all the negative responses they are getting. At least I'm getting an error when ever I attempt to access it.

Can anyone else get into them?

+Quote Post
Brahm
post Jul 18 2006, 01:55 PM
Post #25

Shooting Target

They are still there for me.

+Quote Post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 04:40 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.