Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Opposed SIN Tests, Suggested Checkpoint Ratings
GrinderTheTroll
post Jul 19 2006, 06:03 PM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,465

I don't see any indication of what some typical SIN scanner ratings might be. Airport would be an important one as would a Police Station, Bank or other Identity concious entity.

Anyone have some schedule of rating they are using for places like this that check ID?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
deek
post Jul 19 2006, 06:12 PM
Post #2

Shooting Target

Member No.: 8,814

I would think you could use the device rating chart on page 214 as a guide. So a consumer scanner would fit in a Device 3 category, security/military scanners in the 4 to 5 range and the top of the top, would be a 6.

To add my own questions, I was wondering how the process of verifying a SIN works? I mean, a character with a fake SIN rating 4...does s/he only get 4 dice total for an opposed test?

+Quote Post
X-Kalibur
post Jul 19 2006, 06:14 PM
Post #3

Runner

Member No.: 8,626

Your local stuffer shack, provided it even has a scanner, would probably be a rating 1, banks maybe a 2 or 3. Airports / borders a 3 or a 4. Military installations and megacorps would likely have the highest. And with the megacorps I'm talking the big corporate buildings, the smaller offices are likely down there with banks unless they are hiding something

+Quote Post
X-Kalibur
post Jul 19 2006, 06:16 PM
Post #4

Runner

Member No.: 8,626

QUOTE (deek)
I would think you could use the device rating chart on page 214 as a guide. So a consumer scanner would fit in a Device 3 category, security/military scanners in the 4 to 5 range and the top of the top, would be a 6.

To add my own questions, I was wondering how the process of verifying a SIN works? I mean, a character with a fake SIN rating 4...does s/he only get 4 dice total for an opposed test?

opposed roll. Your SIN rtg vs the Scanner rtg

The scanner needs at least 1 hit to even detect the SIN as fake, and needs 1 net hit (1 more than your SIN) to detect it.

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Jul 19 2006, 06:20 PM
Post #5

Shooting Target

QUOTE (deek)

I suppose that's a good enough guide as any. I can temper that number with the follow-up question "How important is ID in this situation".

Since all you get is your Rating in dice for the Test, it become very important to drop those 1's and 2's for 4's. ;)

Thanks for the suggestions all.

+Quote Post
booklord
post Jul 19 2006, 06:36 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,583

With ties generally going in favor of the runners......

Off the top of my head.....

Police - Routine - 2
Multinational Background Check - 2
Airport - 3
Police - Investigation - 4
AA Megacorp Full Background Check - 4
FBI - Investigation - 5
AAA Megacorp Full Background check - 6

...would seem appropriate

A side note.....

I allow SINless to have bank accounts. You go in establish a "bank SIN" and the bank keeps your new SIN completely private and off the main databanks. The megacorps don't want to bust them up since they use them too. For that matter you don't need a SIN to buy stock in a publicly traded corporation either. Mr. Johnsons sometimes even pay runners with stock.

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Jul 19 2006, 07:21 PM
Post #7

Shooting Target

QUOTE (booklord)
With ties generally going in favor of the runners......

Off the top of my head.....

Police - Routine - 2
Multinational Background Check - 2
Airport - 3
Police - Investigation - 4
AA Megacorp Full Background Check - 4
FBI - Investigation - 5
AAA Megacorp Full Background check - 6

...would seem appropriate

A side note.....

I allow SINless to have bank accounts. You go in establish a "bank SIN" and the bank keeps your new SIN completely private and off the main databanks. The megacorps don't want to bust them up since they use them too. For that matter you don't need a SIN to buy stock in a publicly traded corporation either. Mr. Johnsons sometimes even pay runners with stock.

I can only imagine Swiss Bank Accounts in 2070 would have some interesting behind-the-scenes clients.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Jul 19 2006, 08:01 PM
Post #8

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

Amusing that the rating 1 stuffer shack ID scanner will, if presented with a fake ID drawn in red crayon, only succesfully spot it as fake one time in three. :-)

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Jul 19 2006, 08:49 PM
Post #9

Shooting Target

Haha. :rollin:

I'd only grant a rating 1 to something that qualified with some actual effort. ;)

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Jul 19 2006, 09:19 PM
Post #10

But my red crayon ID is rating 0 and never gets any successes, ever. :D This scanner will still fail to beat 0 successes more often than not.

note: of course, I'm being silly and playing games, not trying to point out a "flaw."

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Jul 19 2006, 09:27 PM
Post #11

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 7,996

Rating 1 ID check seems low for any sort of monetary transaction, even McHughs or Stuffer Shack. I would think Rating 1 would be more like the age check at a night club or bar. I think any purchase would have to be at least a rating 2 check, larger transactions would probably require more complete checks.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Jul 19 2006, 09:34 PM
Post #12

Doesn't this also mean that a rating 6 uber-scanner will fail to spot my red crayon rating 0 ID 8.8% of the time? It would fail against the rating 1 fake ID that actually exists in the game (unlike my silly rating 0 "example") even more often than that. :-)
Seems a bit unreliable to me.

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Jul 19 2006, 09:38 PM
Post #13

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 7,996

QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
Doesn't this also mean that a rating 6 uber-scanner will fail to spot my red crayon rating 0 ID 8.8% of the time? It would fail against the rating 1 fake ID that actually exists in the game (unlike my silly rating 0 "example") even more often than that. :-)
Seems a bit unreliable to me.

Yeah, I guess Identity theft is a much bigger problem in 2070. On the other hand if you switch it to tie goes to the system wouldn't that help quite a bit by requiring the fake ID to get at least one net success?

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Jul 19 2006, 09:44 PM
Post #14

Um, yes. Yes, I suppose that would fix all of the problems I brought up quite nicely.

+Quote Post
PH3NOmenon
post Jul 19 2006, 09:58 PM
Post #15

Target

Member No.: 8,143

i recall reading that a tie would prompt a series of questions to verify that the SIN indeed belongs to the person holding it. (basically a charisma test)

At a checkpoint situation that is, i don't know how an airport would go about this...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:35 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.