Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Garrotes and Another Question, I wanna be 47
WhiskeyMac
post Jul 25 2006, 05:54 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,789

I have a question about a garrote (sp?) test. If I come up behind someone, undetected, and slip a wire around their neck, that would be a surprise then grapple test, with me having superior position and maybe some other bonuses, right? Would I continue to roll a grapple test after that, until the person is dead? What if I used monowire or microwire, do I just simply slice their head off? :eek:

The other question is if I install a datajack in my cyberarm, say right near where my cyber-shoulder would meet my meat shoulder, that's DNI connected and I can use it as a normal datajack, but it takes up capacity instead of essence, right?

Sorry for all these posts with random questions, I'm just trying to verify some information that isn't that apparent to me from the RAW.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Aaron
post Jul 25 2006, 06:31 AM
Post #2

Mr. Johnson

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 8,314

QUOTE (WhiskeyMac @ Jul 25 2006, 12:54 AM)
I have a question about a garrote (sp?) test. If I come up behind someone, undetected, and slip a wire around their neck, that would be a surprise then grapple test, with me having superior position and maybe some other bonuses, right? Would I continue to roll a grapple test after that, until the person is dead? What if I used monowire or microwire, do I just simply slice their head off? :eek:

Well, the way I'd do it (which is the way I interpret the RAW) is that I'd start out with the surprise test, and if they hadn't detected you sneaking up on them, you'd get the +6 dice pool bonus. If you win, I'd give you the attack test, and he would not get a resistance (dodge) roll, per the surprise rules, but he would get a damage resistance test. You'd do the damage for the weapon you're using. I'd say that yes, you were then grappling, with a superior position, and would be able to cause damage on your next IP. And if you managed to do lethal damage, then sure, you could lop off his head.

QUOTE (WhiskeyMac)
The other question is if I install a datajack in my cyberarm, say right near where my cyber-shoulder would meet my meat shoulder, that's DNI connected and I can use it as a normal datajack, but it takes up capacity instead of essence, right?

That's how I'd read it, yep.

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon
post Jul 25 2006, 10:04 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,754

I thought datajacks had to be DNI...thus it wouldn't matter if the datajack was in your cyberarm near the meat or not.

+Quote Post
Demerzel
post Jul 25 2006, 01:45 PM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 8,856

The idea is that your cyberarm has a DNI and the datajack can ride it's connection, so it does not need another DNI dedicated to it. Then since you're just sticking it in empty space inside a metal structure there's only capacity cost not essence.

+Quote Post
booklord
post Jul 25 2006, 01:53 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,583

Well, the way I'd do it (which is the way I interpret the RAW) is that I'd start out with the surprise test, and if they hadn't detected you sneaking up on them, you'd get the +6 dice pool bonus. If you win, I'd give you the attack test, and he would not get a resistance (dodge) roll, per the surprise rules, but he would get a damage resistance test. You'd do the damage for the weapon you're using. I'd say that yes, you were then grappling, with a superior position, and would be able to cause damage on your next IP. And if you managed to do lethal damage, then sure, you could lop off his head.

Interesting......

My take......

The character would need to first sneak up on the guy. ( Infiltration probably though in some circumstances Shadowing might be appropriate too ) against the target's intuition+Perception. Target modifiers as appropriate.

Assuming that the attacker got at least one net succees then it'd be a suprise test with a +6 advantage to the attacker. ( Note: Attacker cannot be surprised)

Then its a called shot for the attacker. The defender can only defend if he wasn't surprised.

Then I'd make it a called shot.

As for damage it depends on what they use.....
Mono-wire - Pretty much instant death
Wire - x2 attacker strength?
Rope - Attacker strength
Unarmed - Attacker strength / 2
These are just guesses off the top of my head.

+Quote Post
Demerzel
post Jul 25 2006, 02:45 PM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 8,856

In general SR4 seems to use str/2 + modifier for almost all melee weapons. So rather than a variety of strength multipliers in order to be consistant with rules you should consider (str/2+mods). Consider what is stun what is physical. Monowire and wire probably physical, rope and unarmed probably stun...

Just a thought on consistancy with other rules.

+Quote Post
booklord
post Jul 25 2006, 03:10 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,583

In general SR4 seems to use str/2 + modifier for almost all melee weapons. So rather than a variety of strength multipliers in order to be consistant with rules you should consider (str/2+mods). Consider what is stun what is physical. Monowire and wire probably physical, rope and unarmed probably stun...

True. Perhaps....

Mono-wire : str/2+8 or instant death... I just don't see how anyone could survive
Wire: str/2 + 4
Chain: str/2 + 3
Rope: str/2 +2
Cloth: str/2 + 1
Unarmed Choking: str/2

Also the Called shot could be considered as a bypass armor called shot.

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Jul 25 2006, 05:38 PM
Post #8

Runner

Member No.: 98

I'd just treat a monowire garotte as a monowhip attack (with all the sneaky bonuses or whatever still figured in). You could survive a monowire garotte attack if your body armor covered your throat, or you saw it coming at the last second and got an arm in the way, or any number of other nifty survival things happened.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 04:42 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.