Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Too Late for GC Indy?
Derek
post Jul 26 2006, 12:23 AM
Post #1

Jacked In, Up & Out

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 95

Well, being in the military, my schedule is crazy, and I haven't been to a convention since ORCCON was held in Anaheim, California in the late '80s

However, because of a move this year, I could make it to GenCon Indy, August 10-13th. This is a very recent change, and I haven't registered or anything, and pre-reg is over.

Now, for those of you that have been to GenCons in the past years, would it be worth it, at this late date? I mean, I wouldn't be able to get tickets for any events until I get there, and no-body I really know is going (other than know through the forums)

Money isn't a problem, and getting there only involves about a 1000 mile drive or so. So, some opinions on GenCon Indy?

Dave
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Adam
post Jul 26 2006, 01:10 AM
Post #2

Prime Runner

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 51

Well, you can certainly get your badge and tickets at the door. However, a lot of games will already be sold out.

If you're interested in seeing the exhibit hall, seeing the guests of honor, learning about new games, playing demos, and having a lot of unstructured time, I'd suggest going. If you'd prefer to have a more structured time, playing in a lot of 4 hour games, it might not be worth it.

Also, if money isn't a problem, might I suggest flying, instead of spending at least 12 hours on the road? Unless flying totally stressed you out or you totally love driving, you'll probably arrive a lot happier, and a good start to the weekend is essential, IMO.

+Quote Post
Derek
post Jul 26 2006, 01:17 AM
Post #3

Jacked In, Up & Out

Well, see, I'm currently stationed in Hawaii, where there isn't much chance for driving more than 30 minutes at a time, so I kind of look forward to the long drive. I'll be in the middle of transferring to Colorado, so I might just drive to Indy and then turn around back to Colorado.

+Quote Post
the_dunner
post Jul 26 2006, 01:18 AM
Post #4

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,522

Also, look at events you're interested in playing and show up with Generic tickets in hand. It's not uncommon for people to not show up to the games that they've bought tickets to. Also, in many cases, GMs will have extra characters and allow extra players in.

+Quote Post
Derek
post Jul 26 2006, 06:17 AM
Post #5

Jacked In, Up & Out

QUOTE (the_dunner)
Also, look at events you're interested in playing and show up with Generic tickets in hand. It's not uncommon for people to not show up to the games that they've bought tickets to. Also, in many cases, GMs will have extra characters and allow extra players in.

Ah, good tip.

Thanks

+Quote Post
Derek
post Jul 26 2006, 06:18 AM
Post #6

Jacked In, Up & Out

Is there any SR discussion groups, or any plans on a DSF get together?

+Quote Post
craigpierce
post Jul 26 2006, 08:00 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,599

also:

* there are games that get added at the last minute and never make it to pre-reg, but will be in the booklet at the con - so when you get there grab a booklet and check it out...there will still be lots of games that either didn't sell out at pre-reg or that didn't sell at pre-reg at all

* get to the registration booth as early as you can...example: right now, the SR tournament has 1 ticket left - so the first person on-site on the 10th to buy that last ticket gets it

* going off of what Adam said, there's plenty of non-game gaming related stuff to do - the exhibit hall alone may well be worth the trip

the first 2 years i lived out here (englewood, co area - suburb of denver) i took a greyhound to gencon because i couldn't afford to fly...that's 24 hours one way on a VERY uncomfortable bus and NOT a way i ever want to go again if i can help it.

driving may be faster, but it'd still be no less than 15 hours...that's a long 15 hours through some very plain states like kansas (or nebraska, if you take I76). trust me - i drove from alabama to denver in 19 hours...kansas is a KILLER - there are no exits in that state!

but that's just my $.02

+Quote Post
the_dunner
post Jul 26 2006, 09:50 PM
Post #8

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Derek @ Jul 26 2006, 01:18 AM)
Is there any SR discussion groups, or any plans on a DSF get together?

I'm not aware of anything that's specifically planned along those lines.

However, there's the SRM Scramble Missions LARP-esque event on Saturday from 10AM-6PM. I have a feeling that might feed the fix.

Also, I believe all of the FanPro sponsored games are set in room 204. If you wander through there, and play in a game or two, odds are you'll find some folk who frequent dumpshock and will be happy to talk Shadowrun.

The other thing that might interest you, that doesn't require a ticket, is the "Whose Run Is It Anyway" session. That's a bit of wackiness with audience participation coordinating a killer GM and his band of out of control players.

+Quote Post
Adam
post Jul 26 2006, 09:56 PM
Post #9

Prime Runner

QUOTE (the_dunner)

"Whichever bar we end up stumbling to." ;-)

+Quote Post
Derek
post Jul 27 2006, 01:52 AM
Post #10

Jacked In, Up & Out

QUOTE (Adam)
QUOTE (the_dunner @ Jul 26 2006, 04:50 PM)

"Whichever bar we end up stumbling to." ;-)

That is, of course, always the case, but you have to be around the cool kids in the first place to stumble to the bar with them, and since I don't know any of you in person, you never know when we might run into each other at the con, or even recognize anyone from screen names and avatars...

+Quote Post
Bull
post Jul 27 2006, 02:21 AM
Post #11

Grumpy Old Ork Decker

Group: Admin
Member No.: 50

Room 204, as said, is where the GMs will probably be camped most of the weekend.

And of course, there's usually a few folks around the FanPro booth itself throughout the day. I may be running a booth demo or two in the early parts of the day Friday and Saturday, and will be playing in the Tourney again this year (Hurray for playing and not GMing! :))

Bull

+Quote Post
Derek
post Jul 27 2006, 03:56 AM
Post #12

Jacked In, Up & Out

QUOTE (Bull)
Room 204, as said, is where the GMs will probably be camped most of the weekend.

I, of course, completely missed that in The_dunner's post :wobble:

Dave

+Quote Post
mfb
post Jul 27 2006, 07:16 AM
Post #13

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

i didn't get aroud to preregistering for any games when i hit GenCon in '04, but i had no problem getting into games. they weren't necessarily the specific games i wanted to play--the only SR game i got in on, for instance, was a LARP (which ended up being a lot more fun than i expected). i got into an Earthdawn tournament, that 'live-action' X-Men dungeon, and a D&D game. if i hadn't been so shy, i could've gotten into more--there were a lot of pick-up games--but jesus christ, i was surrounded by men in skirts. what if they started hitting on me!?

+Quote Post
BishopMcQ
post Jul 27 2006, 09:38 AM
Post #14

The back-up plan

Member No.: 3,910

MFB--Then you would have politely turned down their advances and suggested the other men in skirts. Now if they were wearing utilikilts, that's a completely different discussion...

+Quote Post
Adam
post Jul 27 2006, 10:39 AM
Post #15

Prime Runner

QUOTE (mfb @ Jul 27 2006, 02:16 AM)
but jesus christ, i was surrounded by men in skirts. what if they started hitting on me!?

You buy me another drink, excuse yourself to the bathroom, and I'll get distracted by someone else before you're back.

Derek: Also, you can hit the FanPro booth, introduce yourself, and I'll introduce you to relevant people that may be hanging around, and they can usually fill you in on plans for the evening, dinner plans, etc.

Plus, the con is busy enough that if you decide "whoah, that Bull really is a a freak!" you can conveniently not show up for those dinner plans, and everyone will just assume you got eaten by a Pokemon or something.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Jul 27 2006, 02:01 PM
Post #16

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

QUOTE (Adam)
You buy me another drink, excuse yourself to the bathroom, and I'll get distracted by someone else before you're back.

i've seen your pics. if it was you, cutie, i might just take you up on it !!

+Quote Post
Lindt
post Jul 27 2006, 02:08 PM
Post #17

Man In The Machine

Member No.: 1,105

But but but... Bull IS a freak! Mind you so are most of the rest of the people running the show (ESPECALLY that Moo fella).

In all seriousness, great people. Stop in between games and say Hi. If you managed to work in that your a DS-er Im sure things will work out just fine.

Bull, your playing? Man, Id hate to try and find 3 impartial Gms for your team.

+Quote Post
the_dunner
post Jul 27 2006, 02:39 PM
Post #18

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Lindt)

What on EARTH makes you think we'd find impartial GMs for his team? We've already filled out his score card with zeroes. :D

+Quote Post
Derek
post Jul 27 2006, 06:25 PM
Post #19

Jacked In, Up & Out

QUOTE (Adam)
QUOTE (mfb @ Jul 27 2006, 02:16 AM)
but jesus christ, i was surrounded by men in skirts. what if they started hitting on me!?

Derek: Also, you can hit the FanPro booth, introduce yourself, and I'll introduce you to relevant people that may be hanging around, and they can usually fill you in on plans for the evening, dinner plans, etc.

Plus, the con is busy enough that if you decide "whoah, that Bull really is a a freak!" you can conveniently not show up for those dinner plans, and everyone will just assume you got eaten by a Pokemon or something.

Awesome, sounds great. I'll probably be showing up there!

+Quote Post
Bull
post Jul 28 2006, 08:45 AM
Post #20

Grumpy Old Ork Decker

But but but... Bull IS a freak! Mind you so are most of the rest of the people running the show (ESPECALLY that Moo fella).

In all seriousness, great people. Stop in between games and say Hi. If you managed to work in that your a DS-er Im sure things will work out just fine.

Awww, thanks, you are also a huge freak, so works out :)

And who said we cared about impratial? Or winning? :)

I just wanna play. And see how badly we can fuck up the GMs :)

There will definately be lots of booze involved as well :)

<grin>

+Quote Post
Bull
post Jul 28 2006, 08:49 AM
Post #21

Grumpy Old Ork Decker

QUOTE (the_dunner)
QUOTE (Lindt @ Jul 27 2006, 09:08 AM)
Bull, your playing?  Man, Id hate to try and find 3 impartial Gms for your team.

What on EARTH makes you think we'd find impartial GMs for his team? We've already filled out his score card with zeroes. :D

See??? Problem solved! John, you look like you need booze! Lets get you some 151 Stat!

Bull

+Quote Post
the_dunner
post Jul 28 2006, 10:20 AM
Post #22

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Bull)
Lets get you some 151 Stat!

Bastard! ;)

+Quote Post
Adam
post Jul 28 2006, 03:24 PM
Post #23

Prime Runner

For those of you thinking "Man, a bunch of annoying drunk idiots in the tournament, that will be annoying!" I urge you to keep your eye on the prize, with the knowledge that at least one team doesn't have a hope in hell of taking it from you.

+Quote Post
Samaels Ghost
post Aug 2 2006, 04:39 AM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,717

What prize? Bragging rights?

+Quote Post
Adam
post Aug 2 2006, 04:50 AM
Post #25

Prime Runner

Bragging rights and a bunch of FanPro swag, as usual.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 02:51 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.