Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cyberware for Joe Average, The industry doesn't run on 'Runners
Moon-Hawk
post Jul 26 2006, 06:04 PM
Post #1

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,715

This came from a Cyberpunk thread elsewhere, but what are some uses for cyberware and bioware for regular people?
Some are obvious, like cyberlimbs for amputees. (although growing a replacement arm makes this a little dubious)
Enhanced Articulation as a treatment for arthritis.
Bone Density or Bone Lacing for osteoporosis.
Muscle Enhancement/Replacement for degenerative muscular diseases.
Synthacardium for people with any sort of disease that weakens the heart.

Other ideas?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BlueRondo
post Jul 26 2006, 06:08 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,286

I recall the book mentioning something about implanted commlinks being popular with businessmen "on the go" (or something like that.)

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Jul 26 2006, 06:17 PM
Post #3

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,760

I can't comment on SR4, but with SR3, it costs far less in most every way to have a new limb grown than to get a cyber limb replacement. Beyond senseware (eyes, ears, etc.), commware and datajacks, all the ware that would be useful for the "average joe" seems to largely be made illegal (pheromones anyone?)

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Jul 26 2006, 06:24 PM
Post #4

Well, legality rating R can be ignored. Presumably a doctor's recommendation will get you the required permits. It's F that's really a problem. (These are SR4 legality terms) For SR3, I'd still assume that most of the stuff that's "illegal" is legal if you have a legitimate reason to have it. Basically, anything that allows a permit.
I agree that cloning a new limb is quick and easy enough to make cyberlimbs uncommon. (I strongly dislike this fact)
Senseware is cheap enough (and gives enough advantages) that it'd probably be favored over clonal replacement.

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Jul 26 2006, 06:33 PM
Post #5

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 7,996

QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
Well, legality rating R can be ignored. Presumably a doctor's recommendation will get you the required permits. It's F that's really a problem. (These are SR4 legality terms) For SR3, I'd still assume that most of the stuff that's "illegal" is legal if you have a legitimate reason to have it. Basically, anything that allows a permit.
I agree that cloning a new limb is quick and easy enough to make cyberlimbs uncommon. (I strongly dislike this fact)
Senseware is cheap enough (and gives enough advantages) that it'd probably be favored over clonal replacement.

Cyberlimbs would be preferred in cases of a genetic deformity where a clonal replacement would be just as defective as the original. It would be rare but it would be a viable treatment option.

+Quote Post
X-Kalibur
post Jul 26 2006, 06:38 PM
Post #6

Runner

Member No.: 8,626

Datajacks for just about anyone...

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Jul 26 2006, 06:39 PM
Post #7

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,957

Tracheal filters could be useful for someone working around noxious gasses.

+Quote Post
Brahm
post Jul 26 2006, 06:40 PM
Post #8

Shooting Target

Member No.: 8,006

QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)

Are there SR4 limb cloning rules, I hadn't noticed them? Cyberlimbs have dropped in price by a factor of 5. Bioware has generally only dropped in price by a factor of 2 to 3. What was the difference between the two procedures before?

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Jul 26 2006, 06:41 PM
Post #9

What about toxin filters for alcoholics? Drink all you want, you won't be able to get drunk or even catch a buzz.

+Quote Post
Brahm
post Jul 26 2006, 06:43 PM
Post #10

Shooting Target

Member No.: 8,006

A player I know had a really old PC, who started back in 2nd edition, that had something like that as a part of his character. He had one installed so he could drink vodka like water.

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Jul 26 2006, 06:43 PM
Post #11

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 7,996

QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
What about toxin filters for alcoholics? Drink all you want, you won't be able to get drunk or even catch a buzz.

I can just see it now.......

College fraternity initiations in 2070:

"Dude as a new pledge for TKO you have to undergo the secret initiation, now just come down tho the frat-house basement......"

Where pre-med students implant a toxin filter then they all go do Keg-Stands

+Quote Post
Lagomorph
post Jul 26 2006, 07:02 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,832

If digestive expansion wasn't so expensive, a lot of lower class citizens and bums would be able to make good use of it.

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Jul 26 2006, 07:16 PM
Post #13

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 5,698

QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)

So a person with that would actually drink alcohol because of the taste? Oh god. :eek:

+Quote Post
booklord
post Jul 26 2006, 07:22 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,583

QUOTE (Lagomorph @ Jul 26 2006, 07:02 PM)
If digestive expansion wasn't so expensive, a lot of lower class citizens and bums would be able to make good use of it.

Wrong, market. Digestive Expansion is for those over-stressed corporate employees who are prone to ulcers and gastro-reflux.

Bioware is easy. Almost all of it has a legitimate use.

Enhanced Articulation is supposed to be a cure all for arthritis.

Trauma Dampner would be great for migranes and epilepsy.

Your kids a little slow in school, buy them a cerebral booster upgrade.

Expanded Volume is a cure for asthma

Orthoskin is good for burn victims. ( Orthoskin supposedly heals better than normal skin )

Memory enhancement for altimer patients.

And who wouldn't want a sleep regulator?

The list goes on.....

+Quote Post
2bit
post Jul 26 2006, 07:26 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,526

Most people aren't going to touch bodyware, but it seems to me that there must be a cultural force at work encouraging consumers to make themselves better. After senseware and commlink related gear, the next most popular consumer treatment would be all the permutations of cosmetic modification.
Other popular mods would be fingertip compartments and skin pouches for secure personal storage. Also the various forms of implanted ID.
Someone may get a Touch Link for AR, but I can't reasonably see why when a sim module seems to provide the same experience and is infinitely more useful, even if it does cost 2k :nuyen: instead of 1k :nuyen: .

Clearly, a lot of money is dumped into the cyber industry. The armed forces industry has got to be a major buyer of cyber goods, or there would be no way this tech would trickle down to the shadows.

+Quote Post
McGravin
post Jul 26 2006, 07:28 PM
Post #16

Target

Member No.: 6,559

I can imagine cyberware would be useful in a wide variety of industrial applications.

Coal miners might have tracheal filters, like someone already mentioned, as well as cybereyes with lowlight and thermo, in case the lights go out. A maintenance worker might keep his entire toolkit in cyberlimb storage compartments. Dockworkers and furniture movers might have strength enhancements. A bike courier could have muscle aug and toner, perhaps a skin pocket or body compartment, and probably a datalock.

Maybe a student who was a huge slacker might get cyberears with a recording unit so he could sleep through class and listen to the lecture later. I know I would.

+Quote Post
Voran
post Jul 26 2006, 07:42 PM
Post #17

Running Target

Member No.: 6,099

Display link type items, to cut back on the need for external goggles/glasses/etc.

That bioware that makes your farts not smell bad. Or stinky sweat.

That um....marital enhancement implant.

+Quote Post
2bit
post Jul 26 2006, 07:44 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,526

Coal miners in 2070 would probably be drones. People would still have to go down into the shafts to troubleshoot, oversee, and that kind of stuff but coal mining is a perfect example of a hazardous environment job that could be done effectively by a drone built for the task.

+Quote Post
PBTHHHHT
post Jul 26 2006, 07:50 PM
Post #19

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,327

Then there's the bioware/cyber stuff for all the divers, especially with the advent of all those deep sea complexes. Sure, there's drones, but as 2bit says, there'll still be a need to have folks to actually go out and those little tweaks might be stuff people get to have that extra edge in a nasty environment.

+Quote Post
Geekkake
post Jul 26 2006, 07:51 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,372

QUOTE (2bit)
Coal miners in 2070 would probably be drones. People would still have to go down into the shafts to troubleshoot, oversee, and that kind of stuff but coal mining is a perfect example of a hazardous environment job that could be done effectively by a drone built for the task.

That is, if the labor unions would allow it.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Jul 26 2006, 07:53 PM
Post #21

Labor unions are likely still an issue for the A level corps and under, but the AA and up probably don't need to worry about it.

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Jul 26 2006, 08:09 PM
Post #22

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,465

I would think the R/F rated stuff would be a little more exotic given it's prototype/exerimental nature and over-all function. I mean, who outside of military or mega-corp would need Wired Reflexes, Dermal Plating or Cyber-arm, weapon mounting platforms?

The rest of the stuff is easy to see the rest of the populace using in one form or another.

+Quote Post
booklord
post Jul 26 2006, 08:31 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,583

I suppose someone who had lost all motor control of his body from a disease or stroke could use the technology of wired reflexes to regain the ability to move. Though really they would only need something like wired reflexes rating 0. There's no little need for the speed increase.....

=============================
Shadowrunner trying to explain his cyberware at a security checkpoint
----------------------------------------------------------

"Two years ago, I suffered a massive stroke. Couldn't move anything beneath my neck! It was awful! These wired reflexes gave me my life back!"

"Uh huh, so my did you need the wired Reflexes with the maxed-out rating 3 reaction enhancement?"

"It was a really bad stroke!"

+Quote Post
Dale
post Jul 26 2006, 09:04 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,088

Who wouldn't want Wired Reflexes in 2070?
What with all the gangers and bullets flying everywhere as you to go buy some soymilk at the corner `shack.

+Quote Post
Geekkake
post Jul 26 2006, 09:07 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,372

QUOTE (Dale)
Who wouldn't want Wired Reflexes in 2070?
What with all the gangers and bullets flying everywhere as you to go buy some soymilk at the corner `shack.

Precisely. It could explain common people with dermal armor, as well. I believe that was mentioned in one of the novels.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st May 2024 - 12:57 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.