> Thermographic Questions
Nightshade-
post Jul 31 2006, 04:32 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,458

Ok, I have two question.

I have a guy in my group that swears and insists that thermographic vision can see through walls and pick up the heat given off by something in a room well beyond the interior wall. Put simply he claims that if he is using thermo while walking through a hallway, and he looks at a wall he can see through it and pick up the heat from a troll that is 10ft or more into the room. Is there anything in the rules that says that is possible? Are there any thermo imagers in the real world that can do that?

I've heard that trolls and dwarves see in normal vision and thermo vision at the same time. I've heard that's the way it's done in some novels as well as it is discussed in the 2nd Ed. book Cybertechnology. The reference that says that states it is in the discussions in the book IIRC. Not sure what IIRC means. Does anyone know what area or page says that? Or is there anywhere else in any rulebooks that it states that and what page please?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mfb
post Jul 31 2006, 05:02 AM
Post #2

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

no to both questions. the guy is either insane, or he's confusing thermo vision with mm-wave radar. different materials are transparent to light from different parts of the spectrum. thermo vision, in SR, basically allows your eyes to see into the near infrared. very few building materials are transparent in the near infrared--including glass; you can't see through windows if you're only using thermo vision. many building materials, however, are transparent to millimeter wave light--but there are no rules for mm-wave vision.

+Quote Post
SL James
post Jul 31 2006, 05:13 AM
Post #3

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Group: Banned
From: Pissing on pedestrians from my electronic ivory tower.
Member No.: 7,473

... yet.

As for the meta vision, that should be in the SR3 rule book. is on p.49 of M&M. They are active all the time.

+Quote Post
The Stainless St...
post Jul 31 2006, 07:14 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,414

QUOTE (Nightshade-)
Not sure what IIRC means.

If I Recall/Remember Correctly

+Quote Post
Dog
post Jul 31 2006, 09:18 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,025

The see-through-walls idea is often based on one particular scene in the movie Robocop. I don't think that it's ever actually referred to as thermographic, but the hero looks through a wall and sees that colorful red-people-on-blue-background effect that we laypeople imagine as thermo imaging.

By the way, I've heard about fire-fighters using some kind of portable imaging device to locate people in burning buildings. Anyone know how that works?

+Quote Post
Serbitar
post Jul 31 2006, 09:36 AM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 7,534

You can only see hot immovable objects through a wall.
But it is possible to see humans through curtains and such if the stay there for some minutes, but not if they are fast mooving.

+Quote Post
SL James
post Jul 31 2006, 10:10 AM
Post #7

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Firefighters use an infrared thermographic camera that can differentiate between objects of different temperatures so that they can see people who need to be rescued or hot spots that need to be contained while not being blinded by the smoke.

+Quote Post
Dog
post Jul 31 2006, 10:37 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,025

To penetrate smoke, not walls. Got it.

If I can be picky for a moment, Serbitar, it sounds like what you're describing is that one would see the heat transferred from a hot object onto a chunk of wall. In that case, you'd have to take into consideration the heat conductivity, etc. of the barrier itself.

+Quote Post
SL James
post Jul 31 2006, 10:56 AM
Post #9

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Indeed, you would.

+Quote Post
Serbitar
post Jul 31 2006, 12:02 PM
Post #10

Running Target

Member No.: 7,534

QUOTE (Dog)
To penetrate smoke, not walls. Got it.

If I can be picky for a moment, Serbitar, it sounds like what you're describing is that one would see the heat transferred from a hot object onto a chunk of wall. In that case, you'd have to take into consideration the heat conductivity, etc. of the barrier itself.

Yes, thats exactly how it works.

+Quote Post
Crusher Bob
post Jul 31 2006, 12:09 PM
Post #11

Runner

Member No.: 4,253

In the US, most interior walls are sheets of sheet-rock seperated by air. This means that any heat something leaning against one side of the wall transferred to the wall would be diffused by the air spacing in the wall as well.

+Quote Post
KarmaInferno
post Jul 31 2006, 06:46 PM
Post #12

Old Man Jones

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 1,699

QUOTE (Dog @ Jul 31 2006, 09:18 AM)
The see-through-walls idea is often based on one particular scene in the movie Robocop.  I don't think that it's ever actually referred to as thermographic, but the hero looks through a wall and sees that colorful red-people-on-blue-background effect that we laypeople imagine as thermo imaging.

Amusingly, they acheived the "thermographic" look by not actually using any sort of heat-camera, but by dressing all the actors in spandex that had been painted in the vivid colors, and then fuzzing it a bit with camera effects.

Apparantly at the time renting an actual thermographic camera was too expensive, especially for one brief scene in the movie.

In the US, most interior walls are sheets of sheet-rock seperated by air. This means that any heat something leaning against one side of the wall transferred to the wall would be diffused by the air spacing in the wall as well.

Gypsum wallboard is in and of itself a pretty good heat insulator as well.

+Quote Post
Butterblume
post Jul 31 2006, 09:31 PM
Post #13

Running Target

Member No.: 8,081

It is theoretically possibly to see someone using thermografic vision through a wall, if the circumstances are right. Most are mentioned already, the target didn't move around much, the walls are good heat conductors (stone is, wood isn't, for example). The temperature of the building and your surroundings is a factor, etc.

Basically it's just easier to disallow this at all :).

+Quote Post
Findar
post Jul 31 2006, 11:30 PM
Post #14

Target

Member No.: 8,056

Actually the scene I think of is from the Seals movie where the sniper sees the guys behind a brick wall and shoots them through the wall with his Barret sniper rifle.

+Quote Post
SL James
post Aug 1 2006, 01:16 AM
Post #15

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

"Ooooh, Navy SEALs!"

Yeah... No.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Aug 1 2006, 01:58 AM
Post #16

Immortal Elf

heh, at least it's not U.S. SEALs.

regardless. i'm not going to say that there isn't a scope that does what Paxton's scope does in that movie, but if there is, it's not an infrared (ie, thermographic) scope.

+Quote Post
Frag-o Delux
post Aug 1 2006, 02:28 AM
Post #17

Running Target

Member No.: 2,316

I want the railgun and scope in Eraser.

+Quote Post
SL James
post Aug 1 2006, 08:12 AM
Post #18

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

QUOTE (Frag-o Delux)
I want the railgun and scope in Eraser.

God sees your crimes.

+Quote Post
Oracle
post Aug 1 2006, 08:27 AM
Post #19

Moving Target

From: Earth - Europe - AGS - Norddeutscher Bund - Hannover
Member No.: 7,624

But he/she/it doesn't tell anyone.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Aug 1 2006, 09:12 AM
Post #20

Immortal Elf

he tells me. that's how i know who to kill.

+Quote Post
Cray74
post Aug 1 2006, 12:19 PM
Post #21

Running Target

Member No.: 2,860

QUOTE (Dog)
By the way, I've heard about fire-fighters using some kind of portable imaging device to locate people in burning buildings.  Anyone know how that works?

As noted, it's to see through smoke.

The traditional firefighter method of finding people in a burning house is to get down on hands and knees and sweep with your hands because the smoke will fill the room to the floor.

http://qconline.com/progress2003/prog_dspl...3;id!143552

http://www.bullard.com/thermalimager/Train..._overview.shtml

As for seeing through walls, that would depend on heat from a heat source (like a body) warming the nearside of the wall. As you can see in the link above, IR is useful for finding hotspots hiding in walls - but they *have* warmed the nearside of the wall.

The average interior wall - drywall/air gap/drywall - is a pretty good insulator, and is opaque to IR light. A body would have to warm the far side of the wall so it glowed in IR, then radiate that IR across the air space, which in turn would need to warm the next wall before the thermographic camera could see it. So, I wouldn't bet on it.

Interestingly, glass also tends to be opaque to IR, though mirrors still work.

This website has many, many thermographic pictures...at the bottom. The top has a lot of cameras. A lot of the photos seem to be repeats, but it should give you a nice idea of how thermographic imaging works.

http://www.ir55.com/infrared_IR_camera.html

+Quote Post
mfb
post Aug 1 2006, 01:02 PM
Post #22

Immortal Elf

god says you can live, Cray.

+Quote Post
Critias
post Aug 1 2006, 01:20 PM
Post #23

Freelance Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,714

For now.

+Quote Post
SL James
post Aug 1 2006, 04:31 PM
Post #24

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

I like the tricks sp... Milholland wrote about in SOTA63 (Keeping the Rabble Out) about using IR reflective paint to ambush people coming around corners who don't have thermographic vision.

+Quote Post
Dewar
post Aug 1 2006, 07:45 PM
Post #25

Target

Member No.: 8,590

QUOTE (One of those articles)
A couple of years ago, a group of Moline firefighters wearing only their socks walked across the cold station floor and then out of range of their new thermal camera.

When they gathered later around the machine, it displayed their footprints. The camera detects heat, so hot feet on the cold floor left tracks invisible to the human eye.

Do you guys really think they all had to strip down naked to do this test? Homoerotic much?

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:50 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.