Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Underground Bunkers and Complexes
FlakJacket
post Jul 31 2006, 06:18 PM
Post #1

King of the Hobos

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 127

I've been reading this article in the paper about how the Chinese government has apparently built a massive bunker able to accomodate over two hundred thousand people for up to a fortnight under Shanghai on the quiet. It's also connected to the subway system and a number of residential and office buildings. That's one hell of a civil defence project.

Which got me thinking, how prevalent are underground locations in people's games? We already have the major canon places like the Ork Underground, the sub-levels of the Renraku Arcology or to a lesser extent Halferville down in San Francisco, but what else have people come up with? Secret underground corporate bases, old decommissioned US military complexes, modern day military facilities? And what other large underground places are there in the canon Shadowrun world that people can think of?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Anythingforenoug...
post Jul 31 2006, 07:14 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,054

I have always thought that underground facilities would be very common in Shadowrun. As an after effect of the "Resource Rush" there would be literally tens of thousands of played-out mines around the world-extensive underground complexes ready made for Corps. and other groups to snap up and modify into secure facilities. And given how dangerous the world is, as well as the advantages to not only physical but also magical security that underground facilities provide, it would actually make since for underground facilities to multiply rather rapidly.

On the other hand, I don't know anything about mining, so anyone out there with a better handle on that end of things might be able to provide you with a more realistic appraisal of my view.

AFEN :nuyen:

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Jul 31 2006, 07:54 PM
Post #3

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 5,698

A complex built completly underground provides a very good defense against magic scouting, so I think they're very common.

+Quote Post
Slump
post Jul 31 2006, 10:32 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,492

Another advantage to underground facilities is that they also provide excellent physical security as well.

In an office building, every window is a potential entry point. In an underground facility, the entrance, and the ventilation tunnels are potential entry points. There is no practical way to monitor every potential entry point on a building, but it would be quite simple to have cameras on every underground access point be monitered 24 hours a day.

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Jul 31 2006, 10:50 PM
Post #5

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 7,996

A lot of the left over cold war bunkers and command facilities would be in NAN Territory, though it would be hard to say what their status is now (in use, demolished, sealed up). Big corps would likely build secure labs and facilities at least partly underground, possibly using depleted mines, natural formations, or starting new.

A few things to keep in mind when locating one of these underground lairs. Soil composition. In Seattle for example the high sand content of the soil makes building anything underground difficult (hence no subway IRL). Water Table: Good luck building an underground complex in New Orleans, a couple feet down and you've hit the water table. Not to say these would be impossible, just more difficult and expensive.

+Quote Post
FlakJacket
post Jul 31 2006, 11:37 PM
Post #6

King of the Hobos

QUOTE (stevebugge @ Jul 31 2006, 10:50 PM)
A lot of the left over cold war bunkers and command facilities would be in NAN Territory, though it would be hard to say what their status is now (in use, demolished, sealed up).

Well the US wasn't all that well disposed towards the NAN as it was pulling out of the West so I figure they destroyed or tried to puit beyond use anything they could. Can't remember the name of it but they attempted to cave in/block off the base they'd carved out the middle of a mountain near Denver to try and deny it to the NAN.

Of course they'd of been rushed, under pressure and more than likely under-resourced so the demolitions might not have all gone completely according to plan. :)

+Quote Post
Frag-o Delux
post Jul 31 2006, 11:40 PM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 2,316

Mount Cheyenne or NORAD?

+Quote Post
FlakJacket
post Aug 1 2006, 12:24 AM
Post #8

King of the Hobos

Cheyenne Mountain and NORAD now that you jog my memory. Was mentioned in the Denver boxed set.

[ Spoiler ]

+Quote Post
Frag-o Delux
post Aug 1 2006, 12:28 AM
Post #9

Running Target

QUOTE (FlakJacket)
Cheyenne Mountain and NORAD now that you jog my memory. Was mentioned in the Denver boxed set.

[ Spoiler ]

I forget, where was the Nexus built? I seem to remember on an airforce base in that area. I do remember the place being littered with wrecked and burnt out vehicles that hid tons of sensors to monitor people approaching it.

+Quote Post
FlakJacket
post Aug 1 2006, 01:09 AM
Post #10

King of the Hobos

Based out of the old USAF Academy in Colorado Springs I think.

+Quote Post
SL James
post Aug 1 2006, 01:19 AM
Post #11

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Group: Banned
From: Pissing on pedestrians from my electronic ivory tower.
Member No.: 7,473

Yep. The Air Force Academy.

Pueblo's great for this. There's all sorts of shit buried in the mountains.

+Quote Post
Adam Selene
post Aug 1 2006, 02:03 AM
Post #12

Target

Member No.: 8,968

Fallout shelters are located in every single major U.S. city. They're not hardened against nuclear strikes but they stand up to almost anything else.

Here in Fort Worth the fallout shelter is located two levels underground, for instance. Not a bunker, but for a shadowrunner it'll do.

+Quote Post
Frag-o Delux
post Aug 1 2006, 02:27 AM
Post #13

Running Target

When you say fallout shelter do you mean any public building ran by the municaplity that has the black and yellow radioactive signs?

Some buildings are also designated as fallout shelters like phones offices. But if America was invaded by an army comparable to ours I would not be hiding in a phone office, as they would probably be a prime target for bombing to cut communications, much like we do in other countries.

And howmany structures are hardened against nuclear strikes, I mean other then Greenbrier, Norad and our own nuclear silos? Does camp David have a hardened bunker?

+Quote Post
Lindt
post Aug 1 2006, 04:23 AM
Post #14

Man In The Machine

Member No.: 1,105

IIRC yes, as does that congressional bunker in the Allegheny Mountains. And Mount Weather, Berryville, Va. and Raven Rock Mountain in Pennsylvania. Former Ft Devens in Ma is rumerd to have on as well, though thats a little more sketchy, being ON a fort and all.

Fallout shelters are a dime a dozen, my hometown has 5 just in the rotery area. They are used to store stuff in now for the places that rent the entries.

+Quote Post
Gabriel (Argus #...
post Aug 1 2006, 06:50 AM
Post #15

Target

Member No.: 8,197

Mister President!
We cannot ALLOW a mine-shaft gap!

+Quote Post
Frag-o Delux
post Aug 1 2006, 07:29 AM
Post #16

Running Target

QUOTE (Gabriel (Argus #2323))
Mister President!
We cannot ALLOW a mine-shaft gap!

Great movie, even better while blasted out of your mind on LSD.

+Quote Post
Fix-it
post Aug 1 2006, 05:38 PM
Post #17

Creating a god with his own hands

Member No.: 3,364

And then there's the Ork Underground in Seattle, which is an entire community underground.

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Aug 1 2006, 05:53 PM
Post #18

Great, I'm a Dragon...

The questions was, which other underground complexes are there, besides the already known (=mentioned in canon) ones?

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Aug 1 2006, 05:58 PM
Post #19

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Member No.: 5,760

Wasn't there something in some source book about underground moving walkways between busy office buildings? I've incorporated that into many of my office buildings, basically an underground sidewalk complex, to let people cross between buildings without worrying about rain or cars.

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Aug 1 2006, 06:16 PM
Post #20

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 7,996

QUOTE (Fix-it)
And then there's the Ork Underground in Seattle, which is an entire community underground.

FYI, though the Ork underground is developed out of Underground Seattle, which wasn't originally built underground but buried after a fire burnt almost the entire city in the late 1800's. Rather than clear the debris the city decided to raise the street level and parts of the old city were now underground. Ostensibly the Ork Underground merged this with old storm drains and some unused or abandoned basements and some new excavation. In addition to this in Seattle there is a bus tunnel that runs from I-5, under Westlake Mall, then down 3rd Avenue to the International District. In my game this is also incorporated in to the Underground (the bus tunnel was abandoned when the monorail went in to service). There is also an underground walkway that connects a series of office buildings and shopping areas (I can't recall the names) a little south of Westlake mall. This I usually leave out of the Ork underground and as one of the underground walkways described by Nezumi, though not all of it has moving sidewalk.

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Aug 1 2006, 06:36 PM
Post #21

Runner

Member No.: 98

What with the light rail rebuild of the bus tunnel, you could arguably say that the Ork Underground now has it's own high-speed rail connection to Sea-Tac airport in your game, steve :P

+Quote Post
Butterblume
post Aug 1 2006, 06:38 PM
Post #22

Running Target

Member No.: 8,081

Thinking about it, there are so many underground structures over here, so I probably can invent one every time I need to and get away with it :P.

Bomb shelters, underground factories and storage space, nazi bunkers from WW II.
Further west, old cavesystems from WW I.
Old Mineshafts from as far back as a few thousand years, to new ones.
Bunkers and underground storages from the time of the cold war, on both sides of the iron curtain.

(Just what I thought of right now).

Cellars from Monasteries or Breweries. Catacombs. Cisterns. Fuel tanks.

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Aug 1 2006, 06:49 PM
Post #23

Great, I'm a Dragon...

QUOTE (Butterblume)
Bomb shelters, underground factories and storage space, nazi bunkers from WW II.

With nazi gold and nazi tech and surviving nazi cults - Pulp! comes to Shadowrun! :D 8)

+Quote Post
Butterblume
post Aug 1 2006, 07:08 PM
Post #24

Running Target

Member No.: 8,081

It's a fact, a lot of them still exist, only the entrances are sealed, so nobody gets hurt.

The gold and the tech was looted, mainly by americans and russians. Reemerging cults could be a good campaign. Some magical threat would be viable, too. Some stuff might have been useless in the fourties, but after the awakening the same stuff might be dangerous... I feel a cheesy campaign coming up 8).

Probably starting with detective work in Munich (finally, an excuse to buy the -german- Munich Sourcebook ;)), ending with a big hack&slay somewhere in an old nazi bunker in the Alps.

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Aug 1 2006, 07:11 PM
Post #25

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Did you buy Munich Noir?

Most of the nazi gold and tech may have been looted, but maybe not all. A good excuse for a little dungeoncrawl without the usual corp security stuff.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:56 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.