> Free contacts?
Charon
post Jul 31 2006, 09:14 PM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,087

We used to have 2 free contacts.

Now they must all be paid in full. Anyone noticed a drop in the number of contacts in SR4?

Should something be done to encourage more contacts or are things fine?

I was thinking maybe granting two free contacts worth 5 BP each for my first campaign (PC creation thursday, yay!). That could increase the incidence of bartender and gang member contacts, which is fun. Or it could lead to PC who are content with two weak contacts and invest everything in gear, skill and attributes.

Whaddya think?

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mr. Unpronouncea...
post Jul 31 2006, 09:16 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 770

Meh...I'd rather see more fleshed out guidelines for gaining new contacts and improving loyalty connections in-game.

Rare is the player whose character knows everyone they need to know at chargen.

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Jul 31 2006, 09:18 PM
Post #3

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

In SR3, Contacts were essential - everything about legwork was about them.
In SR4, contacts are nice to have - when doing legwork, they provide bonus dice.

Legwork in SR4 is like the Matrix - decentralized and open to anyone knowing his way.

+Quote Post
thejadedgm
post Jul 31 2006, 09:30 PM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 8,131

I don't know how contacts aren't essential. If you just ask around the 'shadows' or the street you are likely to draw attention; sometimes that's good most times not.

How contacts are used can be the difference in doing things the hard way or getting a lucky break. They allow the GM to inject help for the PC's or to spread disinformation.

I do give out free contacts (2x Chr) at CharGen. After that I award karma and contacts based on character interactions.

My faces collect contacts like a StreetSam collects guns, if used correctly they are as leathal as well.

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Jul 31 2006, 09:34 PM
Post #5

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 7,996

A houserule we tried once and basically liked was giving the characters 2 x Charisma (unmodified) Build Points for Contacts only. We also used a Contact rating cap of 4 (neither rating could exceed 4 for that particular game and you only had a choice of Street, Squatter, or Low for Lifestyle choices, so basically I have no idea how it would work in a regular game but it fit that scenario pretty well.

+Quote Post
Butterblume
post Jul 31 2006, 09:40 PM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 8,081

QUOTE (Charon)
Now they must all be paid in full.  Anyone noticed a drop in the number of contacts in SR4?

No. Almost everybody I know still has at least 2 contacts (well, their chars do), but there are exceptions - one player spend over 50 BPs.

Doing a little math, and not counting the 50 BP guy, my players spent a little under 9 BP for contacts on average.

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon
post Jul 31 2006, 10:57 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,754

I gave my players a L2 C4 fixer contact for free, but mostly just because I wanted them all to have the same fixer.

Strangely (not that I'm complaining), they all took at least 2 more contacts. Even the street sam and combat adept.

+Quote Post
Brahm
post Jul 31 2006, 11:02 PM
Post #8

Shooting Target

Member No.: 8,006

QUOTE (Charon @ Jul 31 2006, 04:14 PM)
Now they must all be paid in full.  Anyone noticed a drop in the number of contacts in SR4?

Yes. I'm seeing a few less starting Contacts. Although no Contacts at all isn't particularly common, it now happens as does having a single contact. Also the quality of the contacts is down some in my estimation. I haven't yet seen anyone drop anything approaching what Butterblume described. As Rotbart pointed out the rules surrounding Contacts has changed a lot, making Contacts nolonger that critical in RAW.

As for the rules themselves I like the new two stat contacts a lot more. However it still feels kind of wierd with the rolls that don't need any contact at all. Unfortunately our GM hasn't really embraced that aspect of it, and I haven't really pressed it. A big thing to get past is describing the effects of the Negotiation roll without having specific predefined names. It just feels wierd. This might be part of why you'll still see large Contact lists with some characters, where the Contactless procurement rules just aren't being used or allowed to be used.

The biggest thing missing though is Contact progression, which could handle the Negotiation rolls too. Not only could the progression rules include raising Loyalty, it could start with a name that you get from a Negotiation roll and eventually progress him up to a stated Contact on your list.

+Quote Post
Charon
post Jul 31 2006, 11:04 PM
Post #9

Running Target

QUOTE (ShadowDragon @ Jul 31 2006, 05:57 PM)
I gave my players a L2 C4 fixer contact for free, but mostly just because I wanted them all to have the same fixer.

Yeah, I've done the free common contact (Usually a fixer) schtick in all of my past 4 campaign in SR3 too. This time I'll be using a DA but that's another story. ;)

QUOTE (thejadegm)
I do give out free contacts (2x Chr)

QUOTE (stevebugge)
A houserule we tried once and basically liked was giving the characters 2 x Charisma (unmodified) Build Points for Contacts only

Hmm, linking free BP for contact to charisma is nice. I think I like that more than a fixed amount.

+Quote Post
ethinos
post Jul 31 2006, 11:42 PM
Post #10

Target

Member No.: 8,936

I don't think a character should get free contacts.

Your most basic contact will cost 2 BPs. (1 Connection, 1 Loyalty)

If a player cannot find a way to keep at least 2 Build points around during character generation, you should make hell for them during gameplay.

+Quote Post
Brahm
post Jul 31 2006, 11:52 PM
Post #11

Shooting Target

QUOTE (ethinos @ Jul 31 2006, 06:42 PM)
If a player cannot find a way to keep at least 2 Build points around during character generation, you should make hell for them during gameplay.

The rules are written such that using a Contact is optional. It shouldn't be hell to have an empty Contact list, unless you also are lacking in social skill or a teammate that has either a Contact or social skills.

If you want to go back to the SR3 standard of requiring characters to obtain illegal things by starting out going through a named Contact then going of back to the SR3 standard of a couple free Contacts, or a rough equivalent, is more than fair.

+Quote Post
Dewar
post Aug 1 2006, 12:19 AM
Post #12

Target

Member No.: 8,590

All my adventures start with my crew at crappy ganger levels. I handicap them at 300 BP and don't give them any good starting equipment. I like to make them work their way out of the barrens.

I recommended that everyone have at least two contacts to help them get out of the hole they start in. They all took my advice, and it hasn't been near to enough. I had to make an NPC to join their gang with a few contacts just so they'd have someplace to fence their loot on their way up the reputation pole.

I love the new contacts system, but if players don't take contacts in my game they're dead in the water. Rarely do I just hand out jobs, they have to have some contacts to ask first.

+Quote Post
ethinos
post Aug 1 2006, 12:25 AM
Post #13

Target

Of course they are optional. But you should remind them of that old phrase:

"Its not what you know, its WHO you know that's important." Or something.

Basically, you shouldn't approve any character without that player's complete understanding that they are pretty much fresh off the boat. Besides the rest of the team, everyone else in their world is a complete and utter stranger.

When the drek hits the fan, who will you turn to?

+Quote Post
Ravor
post Aug 1 2006, 12:52 AM
Post #14

Cybernetic Blood Mage

Member No.: 8,361

Aye, I have seen less Contacts, which is why I've decided to give every character 10 BPs for Contacts, with a few limitations...

(1) A player may not pool the 'freebies' with his/her normal BPs.

(2) A player must buy at least two Contacts with the Pool.

(3) The Contacts must be able to pass my internal Bullshit Detector...

Also, I tend to give one or two free 'campaign' Contacts, of which my Players know nothing about except for the name... *evil grin*

+Quote Post
ethinos
post Aug 1 2006, 03:14 AM
Post #15

Target

I thought of this just now.

Buying a weapon is optional. (Or offensive spell for magicians.)

Knowing how to use the weapon is optional.

Wearing armor is optional.

Now. How many characters typically DON'T opt for any of the above?

Do you give guns or armor away for free? Do you give combat skills away for free?

Maybe a better alternative is to earmark 10 BPs of the 400 starting points, as contact only points.

Otherwise, folks are just getting 410+ BP characters. Also once you start giving away points, where do you stop? Your players might start asking for extra skills, more magic, a free vehicle, starter commlinks....

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Aug 1 2006, 03:49 AM
Post #16

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

a 2 point contact is also not horribly useful.

a 1/1 contact is someone who
QUOTE (BBB Pg 278)
Knows very few people and has practically no social influence. Many are useful only for their Knowledge skills.
and who has
QUOTE (BBB Pg 279)
a purely mercenary relationship. Interactions are based solely on economics. They may not even like each other, and will not offer any sort of preferential treatment.

so in other words. 2 BPs let's you actually buy stuff from the local bum (not that he likely has anything you want), and ask him questions about stuff he knows, provided you pay him for it. a contact is often not worthwhile until you have put at least 3 points into it, IMO.

+Quote Post
Charon
post Aug 1 2006, 03:50 AM
Post #17

Running Target

QUOTE (ethinos @ Jul 31 2006, 10:14 PM)
I thought of this just now.

Buying a weapon is optional. (Or offensive spell for magicians.)

Knowing how to use the weapon is optional.

Wearing armor is optional.

Now. How many characters typically DON'T opt for any of the above?

Do you give guns or armor away for free? Do you give combat skills away for free?

Maybe a better alternative is to earmark 10 BPs of the 400 starting points, as contact only points.

Otherwise, folks are just getting 410+ BP characters. Also once you start giving away points, where do you stop? Your players might start asking for extra skills, more magic, a free vehicle, starter commlinks....

Well put.

But a major differrence is that while I don't care if my PCs don't buy armor or guns, I want them to have contacts.

That's NPCs for the campaign.

Beside, you suggest 400 BP with 10 BP earmarked for contact instead of 410 BP with 10 BP... earmarked for contacts (Or approximately).

Not much difference, really. Especially since 400 is just a recommandation.

But what I like of Ravor suggestion is that those +10 BP can't be split with normal BP and must be used for at least 2 contact.

As a result at least one of these is likely to be a minor contact. Less powerful but good for flavor. And that PC will still likely pay from the 400 BP for the major Loyalty 3 connection 6 arms dealer he needs to get his hand on the hot stuff.

Otherwise, he's very likely to pay only for the maximally useful contacts and have no "flavor" contact. That way not only the Faceman will have a few quirky contact worked in the story.

+Quote Post
ethinos
post Aug 1 2006, 04:03 AM
Post #18

Target

QUOTE (Jaid)
a 2 point contact is also not horribly useful.

a 1/1 contact is someone who
QUOTE (BBB Pg 278)
Knows very few people and has practically no social influence. Many are useful only for their Knowledge skills.
and who has
QUOTE (BBB Pg 279)
a purely mercenary relationship. Interactions are based solely on economics. They may not even like each other, and will not offer any sort of preferential treatment.

so in other words. 2 BPs let's you actually buy stuff from the local bum (not that he likely has anything you want), and ask him questions about stuff he knows, provided you pay him for it. a contact is often not worthwhile until you have put at least 3 points into it, IMO.

Of course a 1/1 contact isn't very useful. I personally don't run characters without at least a good 15-20 points worth of characters (most of them at least 5-8 point contacts).

I think the problem evolves from the players lack of interest in contacts. Both their usefulness and the inability to sacrifice a few combat points to have an NPC buddy/confidant. Which ultimately should be solved through roleplaying.

If you have a group of 4 runners, with two total contacts between them, what happens when both contacts are compromised? (Either dead, disinterested, scared, betrayed, etc). What happens if neither dabble in a career field or circle of influence that the players need help with? Show the players the error in their ways.

Giving extra points comes down to band-aiding the problem and coddling the players. Shadowrun is harsh; not forgivable. You might want to remind them of that fact.

+Quote Post
Ravor
post Aug 1 2006, 05:14 AM
Post #19

Cybernetic Blood Mage

Member No.: 8,361

QUOTE (ethinos)
Do you give guns or armor away for free?

If doing so would fit the tone and style of the campaign I wish to create, then yes. So far it hasn't happened while running Shadowrun, but I can see types of campaigns where I might consider it.

QUOTE (ethinos)
Do you give combat skills away for free?

Nope, unlike Equipment, Contacts, and maybe Knowledge Skills (I would have to think long and hard about Knowledge Skills though.) I can't foresee myself running a campaign where giving an Active Skill for free would fit with the possible exception of using Shadowrun Rules to run something akin to The Matrix movies....

QUOTE (ethinos)

*Shrugs* Call it a matter of semitics, but I'd rather add a Bonus to Char-Gen then take something away from the Player's control.

QUOTE (ethinos)

So? What's wrong with running what amounts to a 410 BP campaign? If I remember correctly, 450-500 BP campaigns are suggested somewhere as an alternative...

Besides, it's fully my right as Keeper of Fate to say no to them if they decide to pester me for things that I don't believe would make a better and balanced campaign.

QUOTE (ethinos)
Giving extra points comes down to band-aiding the problem and coddling the players. Shadowrun is harsh; not forgivable. You might want to remind them of that fact.

I suppose that's one way of looking at it, personally I see giving what amounts to a couple of free contacts as carrying on one of the traditions of Shadowrun without unduely affecting gamebalance.

Although I do wonder how you've equalited more-or-less following what I believe to be the spirit of Third Edition's take on Contacts to running a campaign that isn't harsh and unforgiving on the characters...

+Quote Post
Cain
post Aug 1 2006, 06:04 AM
Post #20

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 178

Look, without at least one contact, how on earth are you going to get jobs? No fixer or Mr. Johnson, or friends to pass you work, means that you won't get any. A contact is more than a useful bonus; they're necessary *plot devices* to make the whole concept of Shadowrunning viable.

+Quote Post
Brahm
post Aug 1 2006, 03:11 PM
Post #21

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Ravor @ Aug 1 2006, 12:14 AM)
Although I do wonder how you've equalited more-or-less following what I believe to be the spirit of Third Edition's take on Contacts to running a campaign that isn't harsh and unforgiving on the characters...

Partially, although it seems more like just general S&M style GMing.

In order of ease of alternatives to Contacts there is buying and selling items as Negotiation+Charisma, see Blackmarket Goods starting page 302. The legworking part of a Contact is really just knowledge skills, with maybe a little surveillance on the side. EDIT And sometimes Data Search. Networking, showing up or convincing someone to do it for you, is probably the toughest alternative.

However obviously the character knows people, or knows how to get hold of people, outside the Contact list. Otherwise the first three things wouldn't work at all. Unfortunately how that happens isn't detailed in anyway, and isn't reflected in the rules particularly well. Nor is building new offical Contacts out of people that you incidentally know or meet. Nor increasing the loyalty of existing ones.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Aug 1 2006, 03:17 PM
Post #22

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

I'm seriously considering the Chax2 BP usable for contacts only.
One rule that I've tried that's worked well was this:
If more than one member of a team has a particular contact, then all members of that team who have that contact get him at Loyalty rating one higher than they pay for (max is still 6). Obviously, everyone takes the contact at the same connection rating.
That's one loyalty point higher, regardless of how many members of the team have that contact, NOT two points higher if three people take the same contact.
It seems to make sense to me that a contact would naturally display more loyalty to a runner if the entire team is made up of the contacts friends, rather than a bunch of people he doesn't know.
The result that I've observed is, everyone on the team now takes the team's Fixer as a contact (instead of one person on the team taking the Fixer, and everyone else just knowing that PC, which was the situation that originally annoyed me), although they generally still take him at different Loyalty ratings, and they very rarely "double up" on any other contacts.
YMMV

+Quote Post
ethinos
post Aug 1 2006, 06:11 PM
Post #23

Target

QUOTE (Ravor)

Equalited?

I've never played 3rd edition. Before starting up 4th, I only played a few years of 2nd edition back in the mid nineties. Nor will I compare the playstyle of one edition to the next.

Only new and inexperienced players will go lite on contacts, from what I can tell. Experienced players should get at least a handful of useful contacts. New players should have a firm reminder of the need for contacts.

Players should have to balance contacts with skills or nuyen. Then maybe instead of taking Pistols 6, maybe they'd take Pistols 4 and a 4/4 contact.

Though personally, a 4/4 contact (equivelent of 40,000 :nuyen: ) is worth way more than the cash equivelent.

As for doubling up contacts. I don't really think its wise for all the members to have the same contacts. Why? If everyone has the same fixer contact, what happens if something happens to the fixer? What if they all have the same Lone Star beatcop as a contact, and he disappears. Maybe he's fired, killed, betrayed the team, or now works the customer service desk.

Everyone should have a Johnson and/or Fixer. No one says the others ever need to have the same one as well. This just means that if something happens to Character A, no one can contact any of character A's contacts without difficulty or with the same loyalty rating.

Plus, having 3 different fixers might make it easier for the characters to get jobs (roleplaying wise) and maybe increase the chance of finding that hard to get doo-dad you need for a run.

+Quote Post
Charon
post Aug 1 2006, 06:22 PM
Post #24

Running Target

If you want the team to have common contacts you should give them for free and make them a pivotal part of the campaign.

At the very least it's a good explanation of how the team came together.

Beside, everyone gets the same amount of BP in order to maintain a rough balance. If you want the whole team to have a particular asset you might as well hand it out for free instead of making them pay for it or devising various incentive schemes because then balance is still maintained while PC only buy with BP things that define them.

+Quote Post
Butterblume
post Aug 1 2006, 07:11 PM
Post #25

Running Target

Member No.: 8,081

I'm with Charon on that :).

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 04:19 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.